My girlfriend and I planned this wonderful trip to spend 3 nights in LA, 2 nights in Santa Barbara, and then take our time driving up Big Sur to Monterrey for a night and into 3 nights in SF before flying back home to Canada.
We were *really* excited about the Big Sur, but, thanks to the recent landslide thats closed off the entire Big Sur from the south (which was reported literally HOURS after we booked our tickets), we've had to reconsider our trip.
We were thinking that we would scrap Monterrey, but we are split between booking a night at Pismo Beach, or rearrange to add an extra night near Manhattan beach just to chill out at the beach (we thought about Santa Monica but it looked like too much of a carnival for us).
So.... two questions: if you had to chose between a night near MB or pismo beach, which would you choose? Or is there anywhere else you would recommend?
Second, is it reasonable to drive from Santa Barbara to Hearst Castle, take a tour, and continue to drive up the 101 into SF in one day? Or is that overly ambitious?
LA to SF, an itinerary around the landslide
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 new online travel network
- 2 Road Trip Sept/Oct (4 weeks) Key West-Carolina's-Nashville-Memphis-Dallas-Denver
- 3 Salt Lake City, Utah
- 4 USA with a 3 year old
- 5 Most affordable Wineries in Northern California near Napa?
- 6 Death Valley in June in a motorhome
- 7 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 8 Universal studios/Orlando
- 9 What to do in Pawley's Island in Early March?
- 10 Florida, Gulf Coast recommendations
- 11 Best seafood restaurant in Boston
- 12 Accomodations in Seattle for 15
- 13 NYC theatre broadway
- 14 A dreamy week on Kauai with three generations
- 15 First family ski trip
- 16 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 17 Dividing time in Grand Canyon
- 18 Looking for Destination Ideas
- 19 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 20 Great Smokies - Seasonal Closings
- 21 Looking for Hotel Alternatives on Coast to Coast Trip
- 22 Chain of Craters Road safe with Infants
- 23 Black Canyon of the Gunnison East Portal Road
- 24 Durango-Ouray-Telluride- Mesa Verde
- 25 Wedding venue in NH