My girlfriend and I planned this wonderful trip to spend 3 nights in LA, 2 nights in Santa Barbara, and then take our time driving up Big Sur to Monterrey for a night and into 3 nights in SF before flying back home to Canada.
We were *really* excited about the Big Sur, but, thanks to the recent landslide thats closed off the entire Big Sur from the south (which was reported literally HOURS after we booked our tickets), we've had to reconsider our trip.
We were thinking that we would scrap Monterrey, but we are split between booking a night at Pismo Beach, or rearrange to add an extra night near Manhattan beach just to chill out at the beach (we thought about Santa Monica but it looked like too much of a carnival for us).
So.... two questions: if you had to chose between a night near MB or pismo beach, which would you choose? Or is there anywhere else you would recommend?
Second, is it reasonable to drive from Santa Barbara to Hearst Castle, take a tour, and continue to drive up the 101 into SF in one day? Or is that overly ambitious?
LA to SF, an itinerary around the landslide
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Rules of the Sidewalk
- 2 Tipping advice
- 3 Queens, NY - Do not go
- 4 Charming,not too expensive restaurant recommendations needed
- 5 Transportation from Newark airport to Secaucus
- 6 Oregon- Crater Lake and Mount Hood vs Montana- Glacier Bay National Park
- 7 los angeles restaurants
- 8 Avis Car rental Loss Damage Waiver LDW Fraud
- 9 Tuscon to Las Vegas Drive in December
- 10 5 Days in San Antonio and Austin Texas
- 11 From NY to Miami with 3 teenage kids
- 12 NW Houston restaurant help
- 13 After Chigago ? side trips- suggestions
- 14 3 weeks in USA in February -- refined itinerary
- 15 Restaurant in NYC advice
- 16 USA New York City: First-time Visitors
- 17 Solo Female Traveller to New Orleans
- 18 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 19 Dad and daughter trip to Santa Fe
- 20 Wilmington, NC to Raleigh - Anything interesting to see in between?
- 21 charleston during Christmas Week
- 22 Fort Myers Beach vs Naples Beach
- 23 Advanced Reservations for USS Arizona Memorial Available Again
- 24 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 25 Hawaii Rental Cars - Book early