My girlfriend and I planned this wonderful trip to spend 3 nights in LA, 2 nights in Santa Barbara, and then take our time driving up Big Sur to Monterrey for a night and into 3 nights in SF before flying back home to Canada.
We were *really* excited about the Big Sur, but, thanks to the recent landslide thats closed off the entire Big Sur from the south (which was reported literally HOURS after we booked our tickets), we've had to reconsider our trip.
We were thinking that we would scrap Monterrey, but we are split between booking a night at Pismo Beach, or rearrange to add an extra night near Manhattan beach just to chill out at the beach (we thought about Santa Monica but it looked like too much of a carnival for us).
So.... two questions: if you had to chose between a night near MB or pismo beach, which would you choose? Or is there anywhere else you would recommend?
Second, is it reasonable to drive from Santa Barbara to Hearst Castle, take a tour, and continue to drive up the 101 into SF in one day? Or is that overly ambitious?
LA to SF, an itinerary around the landslide
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Philadelphia accommodation thoughts
- 2 Need beach location for summer family reunion.
- 3 A trip to the SW: Not rushed, do it all, perfect time of year.
- 4 New Orleans pictures
- 5 Is It Possible - One Post for MT, UT, WY in a Week?
- 6 Young Couple Needs Apartment Rental Advice in/around Orlando
- 7 Best way to spend a few hours in Greater Los Angeles?
- 8 Dining in Manhattan
- 9 Fastest and Safest (least snow) X-Country Route from Lake Tahoe to NC?
- 10 Help?! I-40 or I-20 across Southeast US this week? (Construction delays?)
- 11 Manhattan Marriott Property December
- 12 Photo trip log from Grand Wailea
- 13 Big Bend National Park - 3 days January itinerary?
- 14 Sunnen Lake, MO
- 15 san fran sightseeing
- 16 attraction/tour ticket purchase
- 17 American Honeymoon in March
- 18 Chicago in early summer, what to do with our car
- 19 Need Help Finding the Right Spot to Ring in 2015 on the East Coast!
- 20 planning trip to Hawaii, Limited Budget
- 21 Vintage NYC Subway Cars in operation for the 2014 Holiday season
- 22 Best Route into NW Washington DC
- 23 Help! Need a good road trip idea from SF for Thanksgiving
- 24 New Orleans
- 25 Hotel in Miami and parking ?