When: June 11, 2012 through June 19, 2012
Who: Me, my husband, and 8 year old daughter
Where we stayed: Fairway Villas Waikoloa Beach Resort. We rented a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom condo through VRBO. The condo was nice (with one problem described below). It's fairly new with a great kitchen with granite countertops, updated appliances, sharp and good quality knives; large master bedroom with king bed and bathroom with walk in shower, soaker tub, and large closet; second bedroom with twin beds and good sized bathroom; large lanai overlooking the golf course; and air conditioning with good cross ventilation, too.
What we did:
We arrived Monday evening, picked up the car (Hotwired a small SUV for $240 for the week), and drove to Waikoloa. The condo was easy to find, and it was a quick trip from the airport. However, when we walked into the condo, we discovered that it hadn't been cleaned after the previous guests. Walking into a mess wasn't a nice start to our vacation, especially after flying and sitting in airports for the previous 12+ hours. I contacted the on-island property manager, and she was mortified. It was too late to get a cleaning person in that evening, but she made arrangements for someone to come in by 8 the next morning. We found some extra sheets and remade beds, and we also found the previous guests' leftover Longboard Lager, so we helped ourselves and went to bed. The beer was the saving grace to a poor arrival.
We were up early. I had an email from the owners letting us know that they were refunding our first night's stay. It sucked to walk into a dirty condo, but we did appreciate the owners' and the property manager's prompt responses.
We headed to the Mauna Lani Resort to check out Makaiwa Bay. We were hoping to do some snorkeling at the Bay, but the water was fairly cloudy and the surf was a little too high to see much. The waves were fun, though, and our daughter had a great morning boogie boarding and swimming and playing in the sand. She was thrilled to be back in Hawaii and back to digging giant holes in the sand. We liked the Bay and the fishponds surrounding the Mauna Lani Resort. It's a wonderful area, and I think the condos in the resort area would probably be our first choice of accommodations if we make it back to the BI again.
We had lunch at Napua, the beach side restaurant at Makaiwa Bay. I think we split some ahi poke and kalua pork nachos, had a couple glasses of wine and shared a drink, and the daughter had chicken fingers and fries. Lunch was around $100.
After lunch and a little more beach time, we stopped at Foodland Farms in the Mauna Lani shops for a few groceries (more poke, champagne, breakfast food, coffee, etc.). The prices are decent for being in a resort area. I noticed that some items were a couple dollars more than Safeway in Kona, but most items were pretty comparable. We made it back to our condo around 3 pm. It was very clean, and the housekeeper had left flowers and a gift basket. The property manager had also left a $100 gift certificate to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.
We unpacked, watched the new Muppet Movie (manamana), drank champagne, at some ahi poke and were in bed by 7:30, I think.
Kureiff's Big Island Trip Report
When: June 11, 2012 through June 19, 2012
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Tennessee Alabama Louisiana
- 2 NYC becoming a battleground for Air BnB apartment rentals
- 3 What do you do when your VRBO rental is a nightmare in Lake Geneva?
- 4 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 5 Booking Lodging at the Grand Canyon
- 6 Grand Teton & Yellowstone & ???
- 7 Weather in Hawaii in January
- 8 Three or Four Nights in Moab?
- 9 Relocation: Where Do We Fit In
- 10 Utah mid Sept Trip Report, Zion, Bryce, Arches- beautiful!
- 11 Looking for good moonstone beach hotels in cambria
- 12 Breckenridge in October
- 13 East Coast to West Coast travel route
- 14 Family Trip to Moab - Flying into SLC
- 15 Richmond highlights?
- 16 Best City on the Gulf Coast to live?
- 17 "HUMORLESS" response to Kauai comment silliness
- 18 Central Park Fall Foliage
- 19 Pet Friendly places in Myrtle Beach
- 20 I am "The Prince of Tides"
- 21 Things to do in and around Westbrook, CT in November 2014
- 22 New York accommodation - apartment for family needed (winter)
- 23 Washington DC in Spring?
- 24 Quick advice needed for 1st visit to HNL & Kauai
- 25 montana vs ft nelson bc area