For those three of you who care:
The rebuilding at Kona Village Resort has started. In fact, it started seven months ago. The utilities are the first step in the repairs. All the plumbing, electrical, sewer and gas lines are being replaced. The Village has trenches everywhere. This task is large, time consuming and expensive. The owner estimates between 15 and 20 million dollars. The cost is a result of digging multiple trenches, each utility must have its own trench, craved through lava. No work can be done before the utilities are complete.
Approximately two weeks ago, the owners announced some new information about the resort. Apparently there will be a new reception area, a new administration building, a new spa, and new retail space. None of this is particularly shocking. The also intend to redo the restaurants, bars and pools. Finally, they intend to add a presidential hale, which is a fancy way to a large big buck suite. Again, no surprises there.
Reviewing statements by the County and the owners, it is likely that KVR will not have to get a new building permit. They will be allowed to build under a 1987 expansion permit. The limitations seem to be any structure that was within 40 feet of the high water mark can be rebuilt as long as it conforms to the modern building code and the dimensions of the new structure match the old structure. Again, these new buildings must be approved by the county but they do not have to go through a permit hearing.
Regarding the new structures beyond 40 feet, they must meet the new building code but it is felt that they do not need to through entire permit procedure. County approval of the plans is necessary.
The above explains why the reconstruction has begun without any new building permits.
There is no official word regarding when the renew resort will open. Best guesses are between December 2014 and July 2015. If construction on the new buildings and remodeling of the hales is started by this November, December 2014 is doable.
Bill @ Save Kona Village Facebook Page
Kona Village Resort Update.
For those three of you who care:
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Fun restaurant for kids before Broadway play
- 2 Nev Senator Harry Reid's Ritz Carlton digs
- 3 Can I make a 1pm flight out of OGG if I stay the night before in Hana?
- 4 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 5 Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton itinerary - advice requested please!
- 6 Road to Hana in 2 days without spending the night???
- 7 Driving between Nashville and Memphis
- 8 Fun restaurants in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge
- 9 Albuquerque Recommendations
- 10 Alaska- cruise or land? and most scenic areas?
- 11 Boston to PEI: Where would YOU stop over?
- 12 WEst Coast WINTER holiday - 5 weeks driving.
- 13 Brooklyn why?
- 14 What to see/do in Baltimore without a car?
- 15 Is it a good idea to stay near LAX?
- 16 Broadway Banter 2014: Starting off with book recommendation
- 17 Road trip from Nashville to Dallas
- 18 2 Days in Portland - Best of?
- 19 An overnight stay in NYC to see 2 shows
- 20 New York City Restaurants
- 21 Where can I best see Orca whales in the wild?
- 22 RIP Rizzoli, J&R Music, Pearl Paint
- 23 Buying African Masks in Chicago, New York City or Atlanta
- 24 Maui vacation
- 25 Hotel to stay before Channel Islands