For those three of you who care:
The rebuilding at Kona Village Resort has started. In fact, it started seven months ago. The utilities are the first step in the repairs. All the plumbing, electrical, sewer and gas lines are being replaced. The Village has trenches everywhere. This task is large, time consuming and expensive. The owner estimates between 15 and 20 million dollars. The cost is a result of digging multiple trenches, each utility must have its own trench, craved through lava. No work can be done before the utilities are complete.
Approximately two weeks ago, the owners announced some new information about the resort. Apparently there will be a new reception area, a new administration building, a new spa, and new retail space. None of this is particularly shocking. The also intend to redo the restaurants, bars and pools. Finally, they intend to add a presidential hale, which is a fancy way to a large big buck suite. Again, no surprises there.
Reviewing statements by the County and the owners, it is likely that KVR will not have to get a new building permit. They will be allowed to build under a 1987 expansion permit. The limitations seem to be any structure that was within 40 feet of the high water mark can be rebuilt as long as it conforms to the modern building code and the dimensions of the new structure match the old structure. Again, these new buildings must be approved by the county but they do not have to go through a permit hearing.
Regarding the new structures beyond 40 feet, they must meet the new building code but it is felt that they do not need to through entire permit procedure. County approval of the plans is necessary.
The above explains why the reconstruction has begun without any new building permits.
There is no official word regarding when the renew resort will open. Best guesses are between December 2014 and July 2015. If construction on the new buildings and remodeling of the hales is started by this November, December 2014 is doable.
Bill @ Save Kona Village Facebook Page
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 The city never sleeps, but we needed to
- 2 The Great Debate, What is Worth Precious Money and Time in NYC
- 3 Christmas Napa Valley
- 4 Island of Oahu: looking for cheap accommodation
- 5 Southwest charging USD15/ for early bird check in
- 6 Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe to Riverside, CA
- 7 Your favourite places in New York City
- 8 Phone SIM
- 9 3 days in NYC with my Grandma!
- 10 Las vegas +21
- 11 1st Visit to USA with kids in Jul-Aug, SFO,LA,SD & LAS - 21 days. Need Help
- 12 Need Advice For Trip with 16year old son-
- 13 Road trip from Boston to Florida
- 14 60th birthday trip to Vermont, NH, Maine in October
- 15 Zion NP & Las Vegas with Kids for 3 days in July - Please Help
- 16 Trip Idea for Thanksgiving Break
- 17 Limited time on Maui: Advice please
- 18 Savanah Sojourn
- 19 Gotta Go To Stanford U Medical Center
- 20 ONE WAY car rental from NYC to BOS
- 21 San Francisco - Best place to see street art
- 22 Travel suggestions from Mystic, CT to Bar Harbor, Maine
- 23 Black Hills, Mount Rushmore, Badlands Trip Report
- 24 Driving from San Francisco Airport to San Rafael
- 25 Newark to Paris
For those three of you who care: