My family just returned from several days at Cumberland Falls State Resort Park in Kentucky and I wanted to post the highlights for anyone considering a vacation in that part of the country.
We stayed in the Woodland Rooms set off from the lodge. They were simple but quiet and spacious and included a wet bar and small refrigerator. Dinner in the lodge was a tasty buffet that included several well-prepared southern "comfort" dishes. Up the hill from our cabin-like rooms was a new playground for small children and a somewhat worn but adequate tennis court.
We traversed several of the trails and enjoyed stunning woodland scenery and numerous impressive stone bluffs. The falls were quite dramatic indeed. For an extra charge ($10.00 per hour) we also enjoyed trail rides on horseback.
Another nearby adventure not to be missed is the white water rafting on the Cumberland River. The Sheltowee Trace Outfitters did a great job guiding us through our first family experience. The class II-III rapids were a nice introduction for us and not too intimidating for our children (ages 8 and 11). In addition to the rapids, the view of Eagle Falls and other local landmarks were very beautiful from the river.
Having grown up in the western part of Kentucky, I never knew what wonderful adventures were available nearby.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Big Sure in June
- 2 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
- 3 Quick Trip to D.C. In April
- 4 Rental car or RV for road trip from San Francisco via Las Vegas to Denver
- 5 SF special dinner for 70 birthday
- 6 Amtrack: Denver to California?
- 7 Carmel Monterey
- 8 Alaska Trip Planning Please Help
- 9 Travel options between Las Vegas and Grand Canyon South Rim
- 10 Santa Fe Itineray
- 11 Glacier, Yellowstone, Teton - Car Rental?
- 12 Northwest National Parks Tour
- 13 Where to watch Oscars in Palm Springs
- 14 Arches Devils Garden
- 15 Folly, Surfside, Carolina or Wrightsville Beach?
- 16 RV camping near Yosemite NP
- 17 Road trip to NP: from Denver to San Francisco or the other way around?
- 18 Moving to Dallas - Where to live?
- 19 best health clubs with lap pools
- 20 Where to stay 3 nights to see Yosemite from Death Valley?
- 21 Retiring to Tucson
- 22 universal studios and disney
- 23 Favourite San Francisco hotel / New things to see??
- 24 Spring Break @ Big Bend
- 25 Steelhead fishing in Kenai Alaska