My family just returned from several days at Cumberland Falls State Resort Park in Kentucky and I wanted to post the highlights for anyone considering a vacation in that part of the country.
We stayed in the Woodland Rooms set off from the lodge. They were simple but quiet and spacious and included a wet bar and small refrigerator. Dinner in the lodge was a tasty buffet that included several well-prepared southern "comfort" dishes. Up the hill from our cabin-like rooms was a new playground for small children and a somewhat worn but adequate tennis court.
We traversed several of the trails and enjoyed stunning woodland scenery and numerous impressive stone bluffs. The falls were quite dramatic indeed. For an extra charge ($10.00 per hour) we also enjoyed trail rides on horseback.
Another nearby adventure not to be missed is the white water rafting on the Cumberland River. The Sheltowee Trace Outfitters did a great job guiding us through our first family experience. The class II-III rapids were a nice introduction for us and not too intimidating for our children (ages 8 and 11). In addition to the rapids, the view of Eagle Falls and other local landmarks were very beautiful from the river.
Having grown up in the western part of Kentucky, I never knew what wonderful adventures were available nearby.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 When will Key West be recovered from Irma?
- 2 Great Lakes extended road trip
- 3 San Diego with teens in Februsry
- 4 Olympic National Park (3-4 Days)
- 5 Hotel location Albuquerque
- 6 Los Angeles Area Restaurants - 2017 Edition
- 7 Philadelphia Traffic Help
- 8 sf Chinatown restaurant
- 9 San Diego VRBO area
- 10 Queen Anne or Belltown Hotel
- 11 Suggestions for Sedona and Grand Canyon
- 12 Glacier National Park 2018
- 13 Muir Woods in October
- 14 2 Grannies, 2 parents & 1 three-yr-old
- 15 Alaska 19 day itinerary - comments/opinions, please?
- 16 Chicago - Memphis - NO - Anaheim (train/plane and taxi)
- 17 Botanical gardens on Maui, Hilo, and Kauai: how much do they differ?
- 18 Southbound lanes at San Ysidro Border Crossing close for 57 hrs.
- 19 Disneyland Grand Californian
- 20 Overnight stay along Newburyport/Rockport train line
- 21 Colorado Shows Off
- 22 New England Tour
- 23 Kauai: First Trip Help Please
- 24 help me plan a Cali trip
- 25 Hawaii at Christmas with older teens