My family just returned from several days at Cumberland Falls State Resort Park in Kentucky and I wanted to post the highlights for anyone considering a vacation in that part of the country.
We stayed in the Woodland Rooms set off from the lodge. They were simple but quiet and spacious and included a wet bar and small refrigerator. Dinner in the lodge was a tasty buffet that included several well-prepared southern "comfort" dishes. Up the hill from our cabin-like rooms was a new playground for small children and a somewhat worn but adequate tennis court.
We traversed several of the trails and enjoyed stunning woodland scenery and numerous impressive stone bluffs. The falls were quite dramatic indeed. For an extra charge ($10.00 per hour) we also enjoyed trail rides on horseback.
Another nearby adventure not to be missed is the white water rafting on the Cumberland River. The Sheltowee Trace Outfitters did a great job guiding us through our first family experience. The class II-III rapids were a nice introduction for us and not too intimidating for our children (ages 8 and 11). In addition to the rapids, the view of Eagle Falls and other local landmarks were very beautiful from the river.
Having grown up in the western part of Kentucky, I never knew what wonderful adventures were available nearby.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Best power bank for travel
- 2 Thanksgiving Day in NYC
- 3 Portland, Crater Lake and coast to LA
- 4 http://quicksupplementfact.com/neurocet/
- 5 Best areas to stay from Dunedin to St Pete Beach?
- 6 Day trip suggestions from Frankenmuth
- 7 Trip Starting from New York
- 8 Travel suggestions from Mystic, CT to Bar Harbor, Maine
- 9 Mystic, Portland, Camden, Bar Harbor
- 10 Las vegas +21
- 11 July 4th fireworks in NYC
- 12 Your favourite places in New York City
- 13 Where to stay in Munising, MI?
- 14 Nilichik Ak.
- 15 Is Coney Island worth a trip if you don't like rides?
- 16 Best Brunswick Stew in Norfolk, Va
- 17 Grand Teton Questions
- 18 Gabfest in Fredericksburg VA
- 19 Bodega Bay with young kids
- 20 Grand American Road Trip!
- 21 What's the 14th Street area like?
- 22 Santa Cruz and down the coast.
- 23 Rules of the Subway
- 24 Grand Teton Questuons
- 25 Jazz and dinner -- Chicago