My family just returned from several days at Cumberland Falls State Resort Park in Kentucky and I wanted to post the highlights for anyone considering a vacation in that part of the country.
We stayed in the Woodland Rooms set off from the lodge. They were simple but quiet and spacious and included a wet bar and small refrigerator. Dinner in the lodge was a tasty buffet that included several well-prepared southern "comfort" dishes. Up the hill from our cabin-like rooms was a new playground for small children and a somewhat worn but adequate tennis court.
We traversed several of the trails and enjoyed stunning woodland scenery and numerous impressive stone bluffs. The falls were quite dramatic indeed. For an extra charge ($10.00 per hour) we also enjoyed trail rides on horseback.
Another nearby adventure not to be missed is the white water rafting on the Cumberland River. The Sheltowee Trace Outfitters did a great job guiding us through our first family experience. The class II-III rapids were a nice introduction for us and not too intimidating for our children (ages 8 and 11). In addition to the rapids, the view of Eagle Falls and other local landmarks were very beautiful from the river.
Having grown up in the western part of Kentucky, I never knew what wonderful adventures were available nearby.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 OHare car service north suburbs
- 2 Currency and hotels
- 3 Las Vegas Vacation
- 4 Washington DC Trip in December with Small Children
- 5 Restaurant Recommendations mid-city Manhattan
- 6 Advertising Sublets in NYC Now Illegal - Air BnB Has Pulled Listings
- 7 disneyland
- 8 Arizona in winter
- 9 2016/17 Ski Season Opens
- 10 Paris-Room Selection Advice Needed ASAP for last minute trip. TIA.
- 11 Key West
- 12 Eastern California Winter Roadtrip
- 13 Glacier and Grand Tetons: June or July
- 14 LA! Active, FUN couple - area to stay/itenerary
- 15 Savannah and Charleston over New Years.
- 16 moving to Florida
- 17 Warmth in December without Zika??
- 18 DC restaurant report
- 19 Travel in Houston and surrounding area
- 20 Trip Report: San Francisco, Monterey, Wine Country
- 21 The famous SF -> Seattle road trip
- 22 Northern California Redwoods
- 23 Southwestern Virginia Ideas?
- 24 Smoky Mountains Honeymoon
- 25 East Tennesee to mohonk.