My family just returned from several days at Cumberland Falls State Resort Park in Kentucky and I wanted to post the highlights for anyone considering a vacation in that part of the country.
We stayed in the Woodland Rooms set off from the lodge. They were simple but quiet and spacious and included a wet bar and small refrigerator. Dinner in the lodge was a tasty buffet that included several well-prepared southern "comfort" dishes. Up the hill from our cabin-like rooms was a new playground for small children and a somewhat worn but adequate tennis court.
We traversed several of the trails and enjoyed stunning woodland scenery and numerous impressive stone bluffs. The falls were quite dramatic indeed. For an extra charge ($10.00 per hour) we also enjoyed trail rides on horseback.
Another nearby adventure not to be missed is the white water rafting on the Cumberland River. The Sheltowee Trace Outfitters did a great job guiding us through our first family experience. The class II-III rapids were a nice introduction for us and not too intimidating for our children (ages 8 and 11). In addition to the rapids, the view of Eagle Falls and other local landmarks were very beautiful from the river.
Having grown up in the western part of Kentucky, I never knew what wonderful adventures were available nearby.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Bedford Stuyvesant
- 2 We want too see Statue of liberty. Flying into EWR and out of Jfk
- 3 Road Trip Itinerary Help
- 4 Relocation help - move to cool climate
- 5 Withdrawing cash to buy a car
- 6 Yosemite conditions next 5 days - too smoky?
- 7 Newport RI Jazz Festival
- 8 How long to spend at Lassen Volcanic NP?
- 9 Need some itinerary help with Las Vegas to Phoenix road trip
- 10 Key West July 2017 - Here We Go Again!
- 11 Suggestions on Timing for Denali Shuttle Tour?
- 12 Alcatrez sold out
- 13 Key West - Kids Friendly?
- 14 New York with my 16 year old granddaughter
- 15 WA to CT
- 16 The Frugals Go To Maine
- 17 Need Help w/ Itinerary-Redwood NP, Mendocino, Sea Ranch Lodge
- 18 Would Torrey be a good base for Moab/Canyonlands
- 19 Kids missing three weeks of school.
- 20 4 OR 5 BEDROOM CABIN IN WISCONSIN, IOWA OR MINNESOTA FOR ANNUAL GIRL TRIP
- 21 Hawaii with 2 young teens
- 22 Maine weather and temps
- 23 L.A. and Sequoia
- 24 Maine Lobster Rolls
- 25 Nantucket Baggage Storage