My family just returned from several days at Cumberland Falls State Resort Park in Kentucky and I wanted to post the highlights for anyone considering a vacation in that part of the country.
We stayed in the Woodland Rooms set off from the lodge. They were simple but quiet and spacious and included a wet bar and small refrigerator. Dinner in the lodge was a tasty buffet that included several well-prepared southern "comfort" dishes. Up the hill from our cabin-like rooms was a new playground for small children and a somewhat worn but adequate tennis court.
We traversed several of the trails and enjoyed stunning woodland scenery and numerous impressive stone bluffs. The falls were quite dramatic indeed. For an extra charge ($10.00 per hour) we also enjoyed trail rides on horseback.
Another nearby adventure not to be missed is the white water rafting on the Cumberland River. The Sheltowee Trace Outfitters did a great job guiding us through our first family experience. The class II-III rapids were a nice introduction for us and not too intimidating for our children (ages 8 and 11). In addition to the rapids, the view of Eagle Falls and other local landmarks were very beautiful from the river.
Having grown up in the western part of Kentucky, I never knew what wonderful adventures were available nearby.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Hotel advice needed near Palo Alto
- 2 Hiking Arches or Canyonlands National Park in fall?
- 3 Hotel - Caesars Palace OR Signature @ MGM
- 4 A Student’s Perspective of Philadelphia and Washington DC:
- 5 General Utah planning questions
- 6 New York city--best time to visit??
- 7 Which hotel - Washington Hilton OR Cambria Suites
- 8 Chicago- The Godfrey hotel or the Hotel Burnham????
- 9 Fun weekend in NYC, including a GTG
- 10 Naples-where to stay on the beach
- 11 Maui Luau?
- 12 Recomendations for outlets in miami and hotels in orlando
- 13 American Honeymoon in March
- 14 Vegetarian Friendly BBQ - Fort Worth or San Antonio?
- 15 California & French Polynesia
- 16 Carmel (and Monterey) weekend with a 4 year old
- 17 Boston Uber shenanigans? Fake airport fees
- 18 Protecting yourself when using VRBO
- 19 4 week family trip ideas
- 20 Boston area -- nature
- 21 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 22 A Week in Naples Florida--Much Ado About Food (and Wine)
- 23 where in 'Charleston' would you winter?
- 24 Metro or cab from Delancey St to Penn Station?
- 25 SFO black friday traffic