My family just returned from several days at Cumberland Falls State Resort Park in Kentucky and I wanted to post the highlights for anyone considering a vacation in that part of the country.
We stayed in the Woodland Rooms set off from the lodge. They were simple but quiet and spacious and included a wet bar and small refrigerator. Dinner in the lodge was a tasty buffet that included several well-prepared southern "comfort" dishes. Up the hill from our cabin-like rooms was a new playground for small children and a somewhat worn but adequate tennis court.
We traversed several of the trails and enjoyed stunning woodland scenery and numerous impressive stone bluffs. The falls were quite dramatic indeed. For an extra charge ($10.00 per hour) we also enjoyed trail rides on horseback.
Another nearby adventure not to be missed is the white water rafting on the Cumberland River. The Sheltowee Trace Outfitters did a great job guiding us through our first family experience. The class II-III rapids were a nice introduction for us and not too intimidating for our children (ages 8 and 11). In addition to the rapids, the view of Eagle Falls and other local landmarks were very beautiful from the river.
Having grown up in the western part of Kentucky, I never knew what wonderful adventures were available nearby.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Layover
- 2 Charleston - how long to stay?
- 3 Florida couples first trip to Maine
- 4 San Diego Sunset or La Jolla
- 5 Phantom of the Opera Row H Seats 101-102 thoughts?
- 6 new orleans french quarter hotels for "the ladies"
- 7 November redwoods trip
- 8 Spring Break trip to National Park
- 9 Destination and route guidance needed for Oct trip to New England.
- 10 Wedding gifts?
- 11 December Vacation in Florida by Beach
- 12 My Avis/kona rental experience
- 13 Seattle?
- 14 Pacific Northwest Trip - Mother/Daughter
- 15 Parking a Ford Transit Passenger Van NYC
- 16 Luxury Mountain Resort in PA or WV for sightseeing
- 17 driving from Atlanta to Denver
- 18 Cape Cod Biking & Lodging
- 19 SF Area - Fall Family Trip
- 20 Need advise sightseeing Seattle - Pendleton - Twin Falls - Yellowstone
- 21 First Trip to New Mexico
- 22 Where to Stay Northern New Mexico in November
- 23 Big Bend, McDonald Observatory, San Antonio and Austin in January
- 24 Airport Advice for GNP
- 25 Day trips from Boston