My family just returned from several days at Cumberland Falls State Resort Park in Kentucky and I wanted to post the highlights for anyone considering a vacation in that part of the country.
We stayed in the Woodland Rooms set off from the lodge. They were simple but quiet and spacious and included a wet bar and small refrigerator. Dinner in the lodge was a tasty buffet that included several well-prepared southern "comfort" dishes. Up the hill from our cabin-like rooms was a new playground for small children and a somewhat worn but adequate tennis court.
We traversed several of the trails and enjoyed stunning woodland scenery and numerous impressive stone bluffs. The falls were quite dramatic indeed. For an extra charge ($10.00 per hour) we also enjoyed trail rides on horseback.
Another nearby adventure not to be missed is the white water rafting on the Cumberland River. The Sheltowee Trace Outfitters did a great job guiding us through our first family experience. The class II-III rapids were a nice introduction for us and not too intimidating for our children (ages 8 and 11). In addition to the rapids, the view of Eagle Falls and other local landmarks were very beautiful from the river.
Having grown up in the western part of Kentucky, I never knew what wonderful adventures were available nearby.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Chill : BELLSOUTH CONTACT ☎ 1:8OO:681 :7208 BELLSOUTH RESEST PASSWORD
- 2 Daughters/ mother 4/5 girl trip
- 3 Rules of the NY Subway
- 4 Big Sur Help!!
- 5 CT to ABQ-favorite routes?
- 6 Rolling Thunder on Sunday- how bad will traffic be?
- 7 Best weather and tips to roadtrip to west coast USA
- 8 PNC Park ~ convenient hotel?
- 9 Travel from Philadelphia to New York
- 10 Anyone use Hawaiian Airlines?
- 11 Trail Ridge Road Will be Closed This Weekend
- 12 Yellowstone/Grand Teton Camping Itinerary
- 13 10 Day Road Trip in Colorado
- 14 Road trip from arizona to seattle.
- 15 Boston for a cruise: South end? Downtown?
- 16 Help! 2nd half of trip...From GTNP, 11 days before flying out of Denver.
- 17 Best Time to Travel the West Coast (USA)
- 18 Sad News for Maine Lobster Lovers
- 19 Drive from Chicago to Yellowstone and back
- 20 Montana, Wyoming ideas including beartooth highway and little big hotn
- 21 Epic Journey East coast and back
- 22 South Dakota to Bryce Canyon and what to do in between...
- 23 Las Vegas trip report
- 24 road trip from NC to Maine in Sept.
- 25 10 Days in Maine