My family just returned from several days at Cumberland Falls State Resort Park in Kentucky and I wanted to post the highlights for anyone considering a vacation in that part of the country.
We stayed in the Woodland Rooms set off from the lodge. They were simple but quiet and spacious and included a wet bar and small refrigerator. Dinner in the lodge was a tasty buffet that included several well-prepared southern "comfort" dishes. Up the hill from our cabin-like rooms was a new playground for small children and a somewhat worn but adequate tennis court.
We traversed several of the trails and enjoyed stunning woodland scenery and numerous impressive stone bluffs. The falls were quite dramatic indeed. For an extra charge ($10.00 per hour) we also enjoyed trail rides on horseback.
Another nearby adventure not to be missed is the white water rafting on the Cumberland River. The Sheltowee Trace Outfitters did a great job guiding us through our first family experience. The class II-III rapids were a nice introduction for us and not too intimidating for our children (ages 8 and 11). In addition to the rapids, the view of Eagle Falls and other local landmarks were very beautiful from the river.
Having grown up in the western part of Kentucky, I never knew what wonderful adventures were available nearby.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Nashville and Gatlinburg
- 2 What to do in San Diego
- 3 Nashville
- 4 Moving to DC ( Nova area) Please help me
- 5 Beaches in Florida
- 6 Miami/Disney World/Bahamas Cruise w/6yo
- 7 fort lauderdale
- 8 40th in Key West
- 9 Bronx Help to visit hospital
- 10 First Trip to Texas -
- 11 Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor - how to get to the city?
- 12 Turning 30 in March. What shall I do?
- 13 5 days in Colorado
- 14 Jul, Aug or Sept for California trip, which is preferable and why?
- 15 NYC with 5 kids- SOLO
- 16 Avoiding tunnels driving from Atlanta to Philadelphia
- 17 Best 2 (or 3) Day Drive Between Phoenix & Palm Springs?
- 18 Downtown Chicago
- 19 Boston-Philadelphia: drive, fly, Amtrak?
- 20 8 Days in Yellowstone/GTNP
- 21 Yellowstone or Yosemite in August?
- 22 Is Fox Rent A Car any good?
- 23 Resort/Hotel near Port Canaveral
- 24 Southwest road trip
- 25 Grand Circle Road Trip