We are 2 couples going to Kauai in September. We're sharing a condo on the North Shore. We're arriving on the same day but 4 hours apart. Our original thought was that the early arrivers (our friends) would rent a car and check into the condo. The second couple (us) would catch a shuttle or cab later in the day. However, after researching this option I was shocked to find that there don't appear to be any hotel shuttles (I thought we could take one and get picked up by our friends) and taking a cab is incredibly expensive. I hate to have our friends wait around the airport for 4 hours, but another friend who knows the island says it isn't worth driving all the way from the airport to the condo, and then having to turn around and make the drive again. She says with traffic and the distance, it takes an hour or more each way to do the drive. Also, the best rate we've found so far for a car big enough for 4 people and 4 bags is $40 per day. Does this seem reasonable? We don't need a large car for any part of the vacation except the first day. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Thanks a bunch.
Kauai car rental puzzle
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Tipping advice
- 2 3 weeks in USA in February -- final post before booking hotels
- 3 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 4 Orlando to Savannah
- 5 Portsmouth NH to NYC
- 6 Road trip March from Atlanta
- 7 Help needed from USA experts... where to?
- 8 Dinner in Miami
- 9 After Chigago ? side trips- suggestions
- 10 Met Opera rush tickets - process changed again!
- 11 Need help planning weekend trips: Georgia, Chicago, Tennessee, Alaska?!
- 12 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 13 Any edits? San Antonio & Austin Itinerary Dec 31st-Jan 5th or 6th
- 14 Family Reunion Ideas for Maine Coast
- 15 62 Hikers airlifted out of Kalalau Trail
- 16 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 17 Utah-Arizona National Parks intinary help needed
- 18 fly fishing spring break - warm weather
- 19 Lake Rabun Hotel
- 20 NYT article on exploring Los Angeles without a car
- 21 advice on possible employment in GA or NC rural areas
- 22 Zion, Bryce, Page, GC South Rim, and Arches
- 23 Christmas weather?
- 24 Big island itinerary
- 25 New York City and New England