Next week I'll be in DC for just a day, and while most of that Wednesday will be occupied by business stuff, I will have the few hours before 11am to play around with. I will be staying on my own time zone in a hotel near Dulles, so I should be up really early, probably at around 4am. And could be in downtown DC easily by 7am.
The weather forecast does not look too good for next week, and as I have been to DC a couple times and did "all" the walking around the Mall, in the White House area and in Georgetown, I though it would be better to focus on staying indoors.
The downtown venue I have to go to is the Willard Hotel near the Treasury, so that would be my actual starting point on that morning.
While this means that there is no decent time for any meaningful sightseeing as most museums I checked do not open before 10am, I found out that the Smithsonian Castle opens already at 8:30am. And their current exhibitions do raise my interest.
Would that be a good idea to explore?
Or is there anything else (well, I know there is a LOT else) worth exploring during the early hours?
Any suggestions welcome - also for "non-museum" activities or places.
Just 3 or so hours in the morning in DC
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Philadelphia ?
- 2 Tour of the Wester US
- 3 Road trip from Oakville to Vermont, Maine, Boston - too much in 7 days?
- 4 Petoskey Fall Break?
- 5 Turning right with red traffic light ?
- 6 S. Utah 10 day Circle-Itinery-Ist pass
- 7 Driving from Philly to Stowe, VT. Need a scenic route!
- 8 Predictions for peak leaf color in September?
- 9 Hawaii Trip - Maui, Kauai and Honolulu in 9 days
- 10 Kauai - Napali Coast - Air vs Water
- 11 Yosemite First timers in August survival Guide
- 12 Dinner-Portland, OR-Favorites?
- 13 Trip Report - 4 Days in Olympic National Park
- 14 3 days in Lake Travis area near Austin Texas
- 15 Long Weekend In Austin, Texas
- 16 Driving from coastal Maine to St. Gaudens Historical Site, Cornish NH
- 17 rental car - Highway 1 Roadtrip
- 18 Great Girls' Weekend in NYC!
- 19 Connecticut trip 3rd week of September
- 20 Hawaii
- 21 Chicago Girls Weekend
- 22 Newport, RI - What's it like?
- 23 LV-Zion-Bryce-GC trip: itenerary help
- 24 Convenient Accommodation suggestions
- 25 Recommendations for Moderately Priced Dining in Moab?