Thanks for the Miami trip planning advice. Here goes:
Landed MIA around 12:30 yesterday. Had lunch at Shula's the airport. Food was just so-so - was really expecting more.
Took MetroRail to Govt. Center then walked to Courtyard Miami Downtown. Was a long walk from my airport terminal to MetroRail, but the cost savings were worth it. I made some snafus trying to put my credit card in the right way - awkward.
Walked a little around the hotel and pool. All pretty standard fare. What I thought was really nice, was that they gave me a coupon for a free drink at the bar later that night - definitely a cut above. Was a bit of a line to check in. Decor was a bit dated in places, but I liked the red color accents.
Took cab to Miami Beach. Ugh what traffic. Did a nice self-guided art deco walk from National Geographic, with some stops on the Beach and at Palace. Miami is so much like LA, where I just moved from. Had a nice dinner at Rosalina's on Lincoln mall, then for a drink at Score, and then spent a while at a Starbucks. My battery was running low, so I bought a charger/plug at a nearby shop for $30. Big mistake - kind of messed my phone up for most of the rest of the night. That will surely teach me. Walked into Twist but did not really go inside. Cabbed back to hotel, and a had nice drink in the bar with a local.
Walked from Courtyard to JW Marriott Miami. No rooms ready yet. Read the paper at the pool - was so windy. I loved the walk over - so many great buildings. Then, been putzing around Brickell. Had a good lunch at Dolores, although one waitress only spoke Spanish. Definitely a strong Latin influence here. Did a bit more walking around, including down by the water. Relaxing again at hotel for a few minutes.
Joe Tro's Miami trip report
- 1 San Francisco Hotel Help
- 2 Taking a Road trip Memphis through to Smokey Mtns.
- 3 Which Florida Key to snorkel?
- 4 Where to stay for a Baltimore/DC trip
- 5 Hollywood with 17yr old son
- 6 New Yorkers Live Longer - Health Initiatives Seem to Work
- 7 hotel near Met NYC
- 8 Oahu Information
- 9 Trip Report: New Orleans, Nov. 20 - 25, 2013
- 10 Best Cirque du Soleil show in Vegas 14 and 11 yo boys?
- 11 Warm and don't Drive
- 12 driving route to disneyland, Anaheim
- 13 Historic District Hotel, St. Augustine, Florida, February
- 14 Any additions to my general plan for 2 night stay in Jacksonville (no car)?
- 15 Hotel near Public Theater
- 16 suewoo and any other Charleston, SC experts
- 17 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 18 One day in Washington DC
- 19 7 weeks Canada and USA. Help with itinerary please.
- 20 Eataly in Chicago -- Coming Soon!
- 21 Disney Florida - Which parks to go for 1.5 days?
- 22 Tucson First Week or Last Week of March
- 23 San Antonio
- 24 Key West on NYE
- 25 Ft. Stewart/Savannah