We are flying into JFK on a Thursday afternoon (landing around 2:30pm) and then flying out on Sunday afternoon (departing around 4pm). My wife and I are trying to decide if it would be better for us to take a cab to Midtown or to take the LIRR to Jamaica Station then E Train into Midtown.
Originally we were leaning towards taking a cab, but have given it some more thought. One pro of taking the train/sub was that it is much cheaper. Compare at roughly $120+ for a cab (round-trip, + gratuity) to only $30 (2 passengers) round trip. I also wonder if it will be quicker taking the train/subway than a cab due to bypassing traffic. According to the MTA site, travel time is roughly 1 hour.
However, do people frequently take the subway from the airport? Would there be room for my wife and I to bring our luggage? I am restricting my wife to only one piece of luggage for each of us (easier said than done!) I don't mind schlepping our bags up and down some stairs, but just want to make sure its normal and safe to travel with luggage on the subway.
I appreciate any insight!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Choosing between a few cities for a long weekend trip
- 2 South Carolina
- 3 Austin Getaway
- 4 Maine
- 5 Driving From Florida to Maryland
- 6 Senior Travel Helper
- 7 Austin with Kids
- 8 NYC - Sargent - Sorolla
- 9 Southern Cali itinerary help
- 10 Road trip to Utah in Dec 2015
- 11 Hotel suggestions San Francisco
- 12 Help with driving East to West
- 13 New York City Transportation Experts - this one is for you!
- 14 Yellowstone in Early October?
- 15 Long weekend in D.C. With family
- 16 Alcatraz Tour Tickets - Resell or cancel possible?
- 17 NYC Suggestions - Six Week Trip…?
- 18 Vermont/New Hampshire
- 19 WestInn Times Sq. eating and transport options please
- 20 Pacific coast road trip
- 21 5 nights/6 days in Honolulu during Thanksgiving
- 22 Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown in 1 day
- 23 MANN FAMILY FARM- BOLINAS CA: Do You Know This Area?
- 24 Quick out of Atlanta Get Away with the Kids... New Orleans? Miami?
- 25 Where to stay in Kansas City MO/What to do