We are flying into JFK on a Thursday afternoon (landing around 2:30pm) and then flying out on Sunday afternoon (departing around 4pm). My wife and I are trying to decide if it would be better for us to take a cab to Midtown or to take the LIRR to Jamaica Station then E Train into Midtown.
Originally we were leaning towards taking a cab, but have given it some more thought. One pro of taking the train/sub was that it is much cheaper. Compare at roughly $120+ for a cab (round-trip, + gratuity) to only $30 (2 passengers) round trip. I also wonder if it will be quicker taking the train/subway than a cab due to bypassing traffic. According to the MTA site, travel time is roughly 1 hour.
However, do people frequently take the subway from the airport? Would there be room for my wife and I to bring our luggage? I am restricting my wife to only one piece of luggage for each of us (easier said than done!) I don't mind schlepping our bags up and down some stairs, but just want to make sure its normal and safe to travel with luggage on the subway.
I appreciate any insight!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Lake George
- 2 Grand Canyon - South or East entrance?
- 3 Buying alcohol in New York & I.D.
- 4 November trip to Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce
- 5 Nevada,utah, arizona trip report part one
- 6 Campground and Beach near Mystic, Ct
- 7 Utah, arizona part three
- 8 Nantucket for Columbus Weekend
- 9 Daytona Beach Hotel Help
- 10 Place to stay in Cocoa Beach
- 11 Our Badlands, Black Hills, Yellowstone Adventure, June 2015
- 12 Yellowstone June 2014
- 13 Philadelphia to Sunset, SC via I81 and others
- 14 Hotel/motel recom. for Cape Cod
- 15 Driving from West Glacier to Waterton
- 16 North Fork Vineyards/ Greenport Long Island trip planning
- 17 Looking for suggestions for Washington state weekend getaways
- 18 utah, part 2
- 19 3 day cruise from Boston
- 20 2 months in Hawaii!
- 21 Yosemite Visit
- 22 final plans utah/arizona trip
- 23 Need anniversary dinner in Boston
- 24 Seattle Hotels
- 25 Martha's Vineyard with the in-laws