We are flying into JFK on a Thursday afternoon (landing around 2:30pm) and then flying out on Sunday afternoon (departing around 4pm). My wife and I are trying to decide if it would be better for us to take a cab to Midtown or to take the LIRR to Jamaica Station then E Train into Midtown.
Originally we were leaning towards taking a cab, but have given it some more thought. One pro of taking the train/sub was that it is much cheaper. Compare at roughly $120+ for a cab (round-trip, + gratuity) to only $30 (2 passengers) round trip. I also wonder if it will be quicker taking the train/subway than a cab due to bypassing traffic. According to the MTA site, travel time is roughly 1 hour.
However, do people frequently take the subway from the airport? Would there be room for my wife and I to bring our luggage? I am restricting my wife to only one piece of luggage for each of us (easier said than done!) I don't mind schlepping our bags up and down some stairs, but just want to make sure its normal and safe to travel with luggage on the subway.
I appreciate any insight!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Moving to a new state looking for advice
- 2 Polynesian Cultural Centre
- 3 duck hunting
- 4 Moving to Florida from Oregon
- 5 Seeking adivce- 12 days Oregon only or OR/WA
- 6 Christmas Dinner in NYC?
- 7 Arizona in late January
- 8 Thoughts on our Palm Springs Plans
- 9 Today it rained…on the road in the PNW
- 10 Looking for Panhandle advice
- 11 The famous SF -> Seattle road trip
- 12 DCArea GTG April 2017
- 13 Driving from Sacramento to San Francisco
- 14 Getty center and Getty Villa
- 15 Las Vegas Vacation
- 16 Advertising Sublets in NYC Now Illegal - Air BnB Has Pulled Listings
- 17 LA! Active, FUN couple - area to stay/itenerary
- 18 Traveling Alone
- 19 Fall Foliage Peak 2016 NW Arkansas?
- 20 Reasonable accommodations in Wyoming
- 21 Glacier National Park
- 22 Itinerary suggestion for southern Utah and Arizona
- 23 Vegas with toddler twins
- 24 Last minute trip to Arizona
- 25 Broadway Banter? Fall 2016 - calling HowardR