We are flying into JFK on a Thursday afternoon (landing around 2:30pm) and then flying out on Sunday afternoon (departing around 4pm). My wife and I are trying to decide if it would be better for us to take a cab to Midtown or to take the LIRR to Jamaica Station then E Train into Midtown.
Originally we were leaning towards taking a cab, but have given it some more thought. One pro of taking the train/sub was that it is much cheaper. Compare at roughly $120+ for a cab (round-trip, + gratuity) to only $30 (2 passengers) round trip. I also wonder if it will be quicker taking the train/subway than a cab due to bypassing traffic. According to the MTA site, travel time is roughly 1 hour.
However, do people frequently take the subway from the airport? Would there be room for my wife and I to bring our luggage? I am restricting my wife to only one piece of luggage for each of us (easier said than done!) I don't mind schlepping our bags up and down some stairs, but just want to make sure its normal and safe to travel with luggage on the subway.
I appreciate any insight!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 California and Oregon Coast Trip
- 2 Ferry options Seattle to Victoria
- 3 a lovely week in Grand Lake
- 4 New Issues with Air BnB in NYC
- 5 Booking accommodations through Trip Advisor, Expedia , etc.
- 6 LA/Palm Springs for 6 days with teens?
- 7 New Orleans Best Guided Tours
- 8 Washington DC - Hop on/off buses
- 9 Glacier NP Trip 2016
- 10 Quick Palm Springs Getaway
- 11 Driving trip Texas-N.Carolina-Texas
- 12 NYC Fringe Festival Aug 14-20, 2015
- 13 Itinerary Advice for SLC - Moab - Zion
- 14 Travel from VT to NYC, with a stop in Boston
- 15 Ten Glorious Days in Sonoma/Napa
- 16 CO/UT/AZ National Park/Road Trip
- 17 Seattle in early August
- 18 Nantucket vs. Jersey Shore
- 19 Antelope Canyon: Upper & Lower on same day
- 20 Found Fujifilm Camera from 2011 Florida Vaca 740 good pics on SD card
- 21 Airport to St Louis Arch area, taxi best option?
- 22 11 days SE coast road trip
- 23 Road trip Canton, GA to Charleston, SC
- 24 Trip Report: 3 weeks in the Southwest, May-June 2015
- 25 Roadtrip in the South. Help on when to go!