Jersey Shore Trip Report
I'm going to try to keep this very brief. Not an easy task for me! But this trip was mostly a visit to a friend. So I didn't do a lot of the things that would normally go into a trip report. I didn't stay in a hotel, eat out much or do many 'touristy' things. But there were a few things I felt might be worth mentioning in hopes that they might help out someone else who's planning a trip to that area.
To start with, I have to vent a little about flying. I hate to fly! And, while this trip probably makes me feel a little bit safer in that neither of my flights crashed, it doesn't make me any happier about the whole experience! My flight out of O'Hare to Newark was delayed by snow. My flight back from Newark to O'Hare was delayed by thunder storms! Of course, considering that I left O'Hare on American Airlines on the first day of all the recent canceled flights, I guess I should just be glad that I had flights both days!
The friend who I was visiting lives in Ocean Grove, New Jersey. I arrived there on Thursday, March 27th. On Friday morning we drove to the ocean to take her dogs for a walk on the beach. A real treat for this midwestern gal! It was a slightly overcast day and quite chilly on the beach. But I loved watching and listening to the waves pounding the shore. And I was quite impressed with just how close my friend lives to the ocean. As well as with the old fashioned seaside atmosphere of the town.
Later that day we had a very pleasant drive to Weehawken to the Port Imperial ferry terminal. Being a history buff, I got a kick out of passing the spot (or at least very near it) where Burr shot Hamilton. I was very impressed with the park along through there and the great view across the river. And with the very nice new terminal building. The ferry ride is very short. But I thought it was a great way to get into the city. I was so glad my friend suggested it as it was something I hadn't done before.
We went into Manhattan to attend a performance of VaBang Dance Company, a troupe co-founded by the daughter of a good friend of my friend. The performance was in a studio in a loft in Tribeca.
We met my friend's friend and had dinner at XO Café and Grill at 96 Walker St in Chinatown. It was delightful! We started with an appetizer of steamed dumplings. There were 6 dumplings, 2 each of various fillings. The two I had, one filled with shrimp, one with veggies, were excellent. Then we each had soup. My hot and sour was very good. After that we shared four entrees; baked and salt squid, chicken with spicy sauce, beef and peppers and a seafood and noodle dish. They were all very good. But the squid was fantastic! That was not something I would ever have thought of ordering. But my friend's friend had had it there before. And I'm so glad she ordered it! The bill was somewhere around $70 which I thought was extremely reasonable for NYC!
The dance performance was very enjoyable. I had the feeling of being in on the 'ground floor' of something very exciting! And we had a very pleasant trip back. It was much clearer when we took the ferry back than it had been coming. The view when we got back on the New Jersey side was just amazing!
More to come.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Where would you live for a year if housing was paid for?
- 2 Pacific Northwest with daughters
- 3 New Yorkers...I have a subway construction question for you...
- 4 Hiking the Narrows, Zion National Park
- 5 Florida keys trip
- 6 SF special dinner for 70 birthday
- 7 family road trip from SF to Portland to Seattle
- 8 Northwest National Parks Tour
- 9 Guest Ranch - Montana/Wyoming
- 10 Skagway
- 11 Retiring in NM?
- 12 Chicago to Charleston
- 13 Alaska in First Week of Sept
- 14 How many states have you been to?
- 15 Amtrack: Denver to California?
- 16 Where to stay 3 nights to see Yosemite from Death Valley?
- 17 Moving to Dallas - Where to live?
- 18 Washington DC in mid May. Questions!
- 19 Gros Ventre campsite availability mid Sept
- 20 Honeymoon out west.
- 21 New Orleans to Memphis and back
- 22 Route Planning for East USA
- 23 Favourite San Francisco hotel / New things to see??
- 24 Utah National Parks visit
- 25 Dallas for the first time. Rent car? Activities?
Jersey Shore Trip Report