We are a 30-something couple from Scotland, looking for advice on planning a US trip from Chicago to the Deep South.
We’ve done things slightly backwards, as flights are already booked arriving in Chicago on 27th August and departing from Atlanta on 13th September, so that gives us 17 nights to join the dots.
Our interests on this trip include music (Blues, Jazz, Cajun, Soul, Country, Hip Hop), good food, architecture, wildlife, parks, gardens, museums, history.
Current rough itinerary is as follows. Difficult to judge the distances & travel times involved. Does this seem too ambitious for the number of days available?
Chicago, IL – stay 3 nights
- Art Institute, view skyscrapers
- Original plan was to take overnight sleeper train (for better experience, views & less environmental impact) from Chicago to either Memphis or New Orleans; but I fear this may take too long so we may, reluctantly, take an internal flight to NOLA
New Orleans, LA – stay 3 nights, pick up a hire car for rest of the trip
- Take riverboat trip(?)
- Drive north via Baton Rouge, LA to experience a little of Cajun country
Natchez, MS – stay 1 night
- View antebellum houses
- Take Natchez Trace Parkway / Highway 61 north
Vicksburg / Jackson, MS (optional) – stay 1 night
Clarksdale, MS – stay 1 night (in Shack Up Inn)
- Red’s Lounge, Ground Zero Blues Club
Memphis, TN – stay 2 nights
- Sun Studio, Stax Museum, possibly Rev Al Green’s church service
Muscle Shoals / Huntsville, AL (optional) – stay 1 night
Nashville, TN – stay 3 nights
- Grand Ole Opry, Bluebird Cafe
Chattanooga, TN (optional) – stay 1 night
Gatlinburg / Sevierville / Pigeon Forge / Cherokee, TN (optional) – stay 1 night
- Fiona has a bit of a Dolly Parton obsession, so Dollywood is a possibility!
- Drive through Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Atlanta, GA – drop off hire car (expensive one-way fee?), fly home late evening
Any and all comments/suggestions welcomed, including places to eat/drink/be merry! Thanks
Neil & Fiona
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Grand Marais?
- 2 Seattle to Yellowstone
- 3 Brit worried about weather in Santa Barbara !
- 4 Favorite Casual D.C. Restaurants?
- 5 Restaurant recomendations in the east 54th Street area, please.
- 6 USA Round trip 2018
- 7 New Orleans Hotels
- 8 Where locals eat - Charleston, South Carolina
- 9 Planning a Low Country Road Trip
- 10 Alaska- itinerary and general questions
- 11 Hilton Head
- 12 Best beach destination with kids in August?
- 13 Advice on 4 day itinerary in NYC in June 2015
- 14 $ nights SF - 1 Night to drive the coast - 5 nights LA
- 15 4 Days in LV
- 16 Day trip from Salt Lake City
- 17 Driving from Denver to Ouray Colorado and back in late August
- 18 DC - WW2 flyover
- 19 Colorado Springs to Durango 9 days
- 20 Fun stop between Virginia Beach and Wintergreen
- 21 NYC to Florida drive....seeking advice on stops in Va, NC, SC
- 22 Savannah visit
- 23 Beach Vacation from Midwest with 10 year old.
- 24 Camping in the Black Hills
- 25 SF to Seattle roundtrip with family,help!
Itinerary suggestions for Chicago-New Orleans-Atlanta trip