We are a 30-something couple from Scotland, looking for advice on planning a US trip from Chicago to the Deep South.
We’ve done things slightly backwards, as flights are already booked arriving in Chicago on 27th August and departing from Atlanta on 13th September, so that gives us 17 nights to join the dots.
Our interests on this trip include music (Blues, Jazz, Cajun, Soul, Country, Hip Hop), good food, architecture, wildlife, parks, gardens, museums, history.
Current rough itinerary is as follows. Difficult to judge the distances & travel times involved. Does this seem too ambitious for the number of days available?
Chicago, IL – stay 3 nights
- Art Institute, view skyscrapers
- Original plan was to take overnight sleeper train (for better experience, views & less environmental impact) from Chicago to either Memphis or New Orleans; but I fear this may take too long so we may, reluctantly, take an internal flight to NOLA
New Orleans, LA – stay 3 nights, pick up a hire car for rest of the trip
- Take riverboat trip(?)
- Drive north via Baton Rouge, LA to experience a little of Cajun country
Natchez, MS – stay 1 night
- View antebellum houses
- Take Natchez Trace Parkway / Highway 61 north
Vicksburg / Jackson, MS (optional) – stay 1 night
Clarksdale, MS – stay 1 night (in Shack Up Inn)
- Red’s Lounge, Ground Zero Blues Club
Memphis, TN – stay 2 nights
- Sun Studio, Stax Museum, possibly Rev Al Green’s church service
Muscle Shoals / Huntsville, AL (optional) – stay 1 night
Nashville, TN – stay 3 nights
- Grand Ole Opry, Bluebird Cafe
Chattanooga, TN (optional) – stay 1 night
Gatlinburg / Sevierville / Pigeon Forge / Cherokee, TN (optional) – stay 1 night
- Fiona has a bit of a Dolly Parton obsession, so Dollywood is a possibility!
- Drive through Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Atlanta, GA – drop off hire car (expensive one-way fee?), fly home late evening
Any and all comments/suggestions welcomed, including places to eat/drink/be merry! Thanks
Neil & Fiona
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 (U S) AOL Password Reset CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 AOL Tec*h SUPPORT
- 2 "Fitness" vacations
- 3 1st trip to Maine Need feedback and advice
- 4 Orlando area weather in June
- 5 Brief Savannah Trip--Brief Savannah Trip Report
- 6 Help with Northwest Trip
- 7 In Reverse Gear in Chicago
- 8 HELP FOR ITINERARY
- 9 Miami or New Orleans for 3 days in mid December
- 10 Andaman and Nicobar Islands of South India
- 11 Transit Advisory - NY Penn Station - Amtrak track work Ju;y 10 thru
- 12 Boston Food Tour
- 13 Help - Drive from Olympia, WA to SLC, UT
- 14 Help plan my trip please
- 15 SF-Yosemite-Monterey-SF
- 16 One day for Mt. Rainier
- 17 1st road trip Cincinnati to Beauford, SC
- 18 Weekend at the Straits of Mackinac
- 19 Oahu condo-Ilikai
- 20 San Francisco Hotel With Car
- 21 Recommend an ATV Tour in UT, AZ or CO
- 22 3 month cheap rent in New York City
- 23 Hilton Waikoloa Village - Yay or Nay?
- 24 Fort Smith to Memphis roadtrip.. need advice!
- 25 Ready for Oregon -- tell me about Eugene: hikes and lunch?
Itinerary suggestions for Chicago-New Orleans-Atlanta trip