We are a 30-something couple from Scotland, looking for advice on planning a US trip from Chicago to the Deep South.
We’ve done things slightly backwards, as flights are already booked arriving in Chicago on 27th August and departing from Atlanta on 13th September, so that gives us 17 nights to join the dots.
Our interests on this trip include music (Blues, Jazz, Cajun, Soul, Country, Hip Hop), good food, architecture, wildlife, parks, gardens, museums, history.
Current rough itinerary is as follows. Difficult to judge the distances & travel times involved. Does this seem too ambitious for the number of days available?
Chicago, IL – stay 3 nights
- Art Institute, view skyscrapers
- Original plan was to take overnight sleeper train (for better experience, views & less environmental impact) from Chicago to either Memphis or New Orleans; but I fear this may take too long so we may, reluctantly, take an internal flight to NOLA
New Orleans, LA – stay 3 nights, pick up a hire car for rest of the trip
- Take riverboat trip(?)
- Drive north via Baton Rouge, LA to experience a little of Cajun country
Natchez, MS – stay 1 night
- View antebellum houses
- Take Natchez Trace Parkway / Highway 61 north
Vicksburg / Jackson, MS (optional) – stay 1 night
Clarksdale, MS – stay 1 night (in Shack Up Inn)
- Red’s Lounge, Ground Zero Blues Club
Memphis, TN – stay 2 nights
- Sun Studio, Stax Museum, possibly Rev Al Green’s church service
Muscle Shoals / Huntsville, AL (optional) – stay 1 night
Nashville, TN – stay 3 nights
- Grand Ole Opry, Bluebird Cafe
Chattanooga, TN (optional) – stay 1 night
Gatlinburg / Sevierville / Pigeon Forge / Cherokee, TN (optional) – stay 1 night
- Fiona has a bit of a Dolly Parton obsession, so Dollywood is a possibility!
- Drive through Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Atlanta, GA – drop off hire car (expensive one-way fee?), fly home late evening
Any and all comments/suggestions welcomed, including places to eat/drink/be merry! Thanks
Neil & Fiona
Itinerary suggestions for Chicago-New Orleans-Atlanta trip
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 WHY are rental cars in December in Florida so expensive?
- 2 Zion, Bryce, Page, GC South Rim, and Arches
- 3 The East Coast adventure: December 2014
- 4 advice on possible employment in GA or NC rural areas
- 5 62 Hikers airlifted out of Kalalau Trail
- 6 New York City and New England
- 7 3 weeks in USA in February -- refined itinerary
- 8 San Francisco with 7 kids ages 5-14
- 9 3 weeks in USA in February -- final post before booking hotels
- 10 August 2015 Western Roadtrip Route? 30 days...Two 22-year-old Girls
- 11 Utah-Arizona National Parks intinary help needed
- 12 Last Minute NYE Trip to DC - Fancy Tea? Other special ideas...Wanted
- 13 Please help identify location in Southern California
- 14 After Chigago ? side trips- suggestions
- 15 Need help planning weekend trips: Georgia, Chicago, Tennessee, Alaska?!
- 16 Quick Austin weekend itinerary review
- 17 Denver Airport to Downtown Sheraton--Transportation Options?
- 18 Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Banff in May or early Sept.?
- 19 Best Destination in USA
- 20 Rules of the Sidewalk
- 21 Road trip March from Atlanta
- 22 Nashville - Weekend Trip
- 23 Dinner stop between Boston and Bradley Airport in CT (Windsor)
- 24 NYT article on exploring Los Angeles without a car
- 25 x mas