My friend and I (50ish) are planning a New England vacation for early Fall (Thu Sep 6 – Wed Sep 12). We will be flying in and out of Boston and driving up the coast to Bar Harbor and back with various stops along the way. What kind of itinerary would allow for us to enjoy the drive up and back and not have to spend all day in the car? Is there a way to make a slow/fast, fast/slow pace up and back? I thought about spending our first night in Marblehead and then heading North the following day with a quick stop in Salem. From what I’ve read so far nice places to visit would be Portsmouth, Camden, Bath, Boothbay, Wiscasset, a boat trip to Monhegan, Acadia Natl Park. Any suggestions on routes and timing?
Itinerary - Boston to Bar Harbor
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Lake Rabun Hotel
- 2 3 weeks in USA in February -- refined itinerary
- 3 Tipping advice
- 4 Queens, NY - Do not go
- 5 Fort Myers Beach vs Naples Beach
- 6 Denver Airport to Downtown Sheraton--Transportation Options?
- 7 San Diego Little Italy
- 8 Key West Hotel in January
- 9 Hawaii Rental Cars - Book early
- 10 Charleston/Savannah/Asheville, 6 days enough?
- 11 Healdsburg tips
- 12 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 13 Hawaii or Rio for male single traveler
- 14 Maui - Need a Vegan-Friendly Restaurant Recommendation
- 15 Boston, NYC or Chicago for 3rd weekend in March?
- 16 los angeles restaurants
- 17 Where to add a few days in Colorado?
- 18 Help me plan a trip to Nashville and Memphis.
- 19 Avis Car rental Loss Damage Waiver LDW Fraud
- 20 Calf trip
- 21 Trip to Jupiter, FL
- 22 2 or 3 nights in Hana
- 23 West Maui Restaurants
- 24 Napa/Sonoma hotel confusion...please help
- 25 New Orleans Trip Report - Dec. 2014