My friend and I (50ish) are planning a New England vacation for early Fall (Thu Sep 6 – Wed Sep 12). We will be flying in and out of Boston and driving up the coast to Bar Harbor and back with various stops along the way. What kind of itinerary would allow for us to enjoy the drive up and back and not have to spend all day in the car? Is there a way to make a slow/fast, fast/slow pace up and back? I thought about spending our first night in Marblehead and then heading North the following day with a quick stop in Salem. From what I’ve read so far nice places to visit would be Portsmouth, Camden, Bath, Boothbay, Wiscasset, a boat trip to Monhegan, Acadia Natl Park. Any suggestions on routes and timing?
Itinerary - Boston to Bar Harbor
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 A few SF recommendations/itinerary review
- 2 Connecticut River Byway
- 3 Seafood
- 4 Oregon Wildfire Reports
- 5 Convenient Accommodation suggestions
- 6 Boston
- 7 Road Trip SW
- 8 What a great weekend in Cooperstown (July 24-27)
- 9 Road Trip Help--- Philly to Sunset, SC (Virginia portion)
- 10 Mt Ranier parking questions
- 11 Trip Report - Jersey Shore, Cherry Hill, Philly, back to the roots...
- 12 Atascadero -> Pacific Grove -> San Francisco
- 13 moving to florida
- 14 Carlsbad/San Diego Ideas
- 15 Seattle, Portland, and day trips all around
- 16 Seatle in September 19-22, Where to stay? Avg prices?
- 17 3 days, 4 nights in Denver
- 18 Another Californian Odyssey (June/July 2014)
- 19 Ogunquit Family Get Together
- 20 Boston/Salem with kids
- 21 Ideas for 1st time trip to LA/Santa Monica/Hollywood with 16 yr old
- 22 Honeymoon/road trip/adventure/help!
- 23 San Diego farmer's markets
- 24 San Fran to Las Vegas drive
- 25 Is Lanai worth a day trip from Maui?