My friend and I (50ish) are planning a New England vacation for early Fall (Thu Sep 6 – Wed Sep 12). We will be flying in and out of Boston and driving up the coast to Bar Harbor and back with various stops along the way. What kind of itinerary would allow for us to enjoy the drive up and back and not have to spend all day in the car? Is there a way to make a slow/fast, fast/slow pace up and back? I thought about spending our first night in Marblehead and then heading North the following day with a quick stop in Salem. From what I’ve read so far nice places to visit would be Portsmouth, Camden, Bath, Boothbay, Wiscasset, a boat trip to Monhegan, Acadia Natl Park. Any suggestions on routes and timing?
Itinerary - Boston to Bar Harbor
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Seeking thoughtful advice on Yellowstone/Tetons trip!
- 2 Camping in the Adirondacks
- 3 Question about a private tour in Florence from Livorno port
- 4 Looking For Something New Around The Bay Area!
- 5 Washington/Oregon....trip ideas
- 6 LA via Death Valley, Grand Canyon to Vegas
- 7 San Fran to Crater Lake? round trip one week
- 8 Mountain hiking in the US for kids - Fall/Spring . . .
- 9 December Break Need Recommendations for Southern Travel
- 10 Trip Report: An Intoxicating Birthday Day-Trip in Napa
- 11 Re-Visit DC
- 12 Looking for One night commutable to NYC (Solo)
- 13 Seattle, Portland, and day trips all around
- 14 Road Trip From Dallas to RMNP through CO Springs.
- 15 Washington/Oregon....trip ideas
- 16 Santa Fe-Best Time of Year to Visit
- 17 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 18 Flights from Bay Area to Orlando, Florida
- 19 Victoria Clipper to Friday Harbor/San Juan Islands
- 20 Texas and Deep South Road Trip - with Limited Time!
- 21 2 day in Adirondack park
- 22 Bienville Hotel or Le Marais in New Orleans French Quarter
- 23 A specific safety issue in Area Hell's Kitchen, 43th West Street
- 24 Easiest US airports to get to/from with public transportation
- 25 Itinerary suggestion needed for DC