Hello and thanks in advance for any info you can provide. We are planning a first time visit to Northern California in April. The plan is to spend 5 days (Wend-Sun) in the area before driving south along the coast. We would like to drive through some of the wine country and visit a couple of wineries, see some of the coast north and see the main sights of San Francisco. The plan has been to drive straight from SFO to somewhere on the coast (Bodega Bay?) and then through some of the wine country. We had planned to stay Wend. and Thurs. somewhere north, and then spend the weekend in San Francisco with the idea that the wine country would be less crowded mid-week and the city less crowded on the weekend. This would obviously involve switching hotels and driving into the city on Friday afternoon. In looking for alternatives, I saw staying in Sausalito is an option and the hotels look very nice. My question is whether you think it is better to stay 2 nights in the wine country and 3 nights in the city, or stay all 5 nights in Sausalito and use it as a base from which we can go north or into the city as we please depending on weather, mood, ect. I have read the ferries stop fairly early in the evening but this would not be a problem as we start and end the day relatively early. I guess what I am asking is there any big downside to using a hotel like the Inn above Tide or Cavallo Point as a base to tour San Francisco given what we want to see. Thanks for any opinions.
Is Sausalito a good base for wine country/San Francisco?
- 1 Olympic & Rainier itinerary -- please suggest changes
- 2 Trying To Find a Place
- 3 San Francisco Pacific Heights
- 4 romantic colorado trip
- 5 Fourth of July Weekend
- 6 New York, New York...my kind of town
- 7 Fires in Colorado
- 8 Marcola?
- 9 Napa wineries for wine novices
- 10 Fireworks on the Fourth of July on the Mall
- 11 What bugs you the most about flying? 2013 Pet Peeves Survey
- 12 Updates from Hanalei
- 13 Can you help me complete my itinerary?
- 14 Hi from Sacramento GTG!
- 15 White Water Rafting Bachelor Party
- 16 Hiking Questions --Many Glacier
- 17 Asian fusion/Thai restaurant in Vegas for a celebration
- 18 Las vegas hotels--can't make up my mind, help!
- 19 One day in NYC
- 20 Maine mid-coast recommendations?
- 21 Jackson Hole & Yellowstone
- 22 10 day Hawaii Vacations
- 23 Key West at Christmas time
- 24 Orlando Parks - Cheapest short term tickets
- 25 Chicago Architectural Tours