So I just found this forum on this website from about ten years ago called "Betsy-Tacy Mankato info!" If you do a search by that title, you should be able to find the forum. Anyway, the people in the forum were quite negative about Mankato. As someone who lives in Mankato, I hate to agree with them, but I have to say, most of them express the exact same feelings I have of Mankato today. Basically, they all say that Mankato is a cultural wasteland, and I can't agree more. It's still very much a cultural wasteland today. I don't feel like I am even alive there. I just exist. It may even be worse today. I also find the university students to be mostly uncultured, beer drinking, and juvenile. In 2003, there was a druken riot by these students in Mankato, which unfortunately was reported even on CNN. It's always so embarrassing to say that I live in Mankato. Whenever Mankato comes up in the news it's about an alcohol related death or accident. There are more bars per square mile than there are anywhere else the town of this size. Most of the restaurants are buffet style. Ethnic restaurants always go out of business there because the locals are so uninterested in novel experiences. My dream is to some day get another job that will allow me to move away from here. Are there people today who still feel the same way as those folks did ten years ago (and like I do now)? What are your comments about Mankato?
Is it just me or is Mankato is still a cultural wasteland?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 USA with a 3 year old
- 2 Aussies' USA "White Xmas" 2013/14 Trip Report
- 3 And now...The 100 Best Things to Eat in Philadelphia
- 4 united and carry-ons
- 5 Near Plum Island, MA ...what to see and do?
- 6 Old City -- Philadelphia -- Cocktails?
- 7 Cape Cod in early April
- 8 Visiting Paso Robles wine country
- 9 Backpacking in April
- 10 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 11 replica designer handbags
- 12 Portland Maine Hotels
- 13 San Diego parks and attractions
- 14 Help choosing Chicago hotel
- 15 Chigo O'Hare layover
- 16 Lodging in Mendocino County (Anderson Valley, Booneville, ??)
- 17 Palm Springs-Looking for Great Swimming Pool
- 18 Need Ideas for Quiet Vacation in Upstate New York
- 19 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 20 Any feedback on our roadtrip schedule would be much appreciated!
- 21 Yellowstone & Grand Tetons Wildlife
- 22 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 23 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 24 Durango-Ouray-Telluride- Mesa Verde
- 25 Black Canyon of the Gunnison East Portal Road