So I just found this forum on this website from about ten years ago called "Betsy-Tacy Mankato info!" If you do a search by that title, you should be able to find the forum. Anyway, the people in the forum were quite negative about Mankato. As someone who lives in Mankato, I hate to agree with them, but I have to say, most of them express the exact same feelings I have of Mankato today. Basically, they all say that Mankato is a cultural wasteland, and I can't agree more. It's still very much a cultural wasteland today. I don't feel like I am even alive there. I just exist. It may even be worse today. I also find the university students to be mostly uncultured, beer drinking, and juvenile. In 2003, there was a druken riot by these students in Mankato, which unfortunately was reported even on CNN. It's always so embarrassing to say that I live in Mankato. Whenever Mankato comes up in the news it's about an alcohol related death or accident. There are more bars per square mile than there are anywhere else the town of this size. Most of the restaurants are buffet style. Ethnic restaurants always go out of business there because the locals are so uninterested in novel experiences. My dream is to some day get another job that will allow me to move away from here. Are there people today who still feel the same way as those folks did ten years ago (and like I do now)? What are your comments about Mankato?
Is it just me or is Mankato is still a cultural wasteland?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Camping Summer of 2015 Yellowstone? Yosemite? GT?
- 2 Las Vegas to Los Angeles via Death Valley
- 3 San Diego/Los Angeles Trip with Teens
- 4 AirBnB is illegal in San Francisco,
- 5 traveling Amtrak cross country
- 6 Alaska cruise and land
- 7 Little Bighorn Battlefield & Yellowstone
- 8 Lunch with little girls UWS?
- 9 Grand Circle Itinerary Utah
- 10 Suggestions for road trip with children from Birmingham, AL to Grand Canyon
- 11 Sampling Ethnic Las Vegas trip report
- 12 NYC taxi vs car service
- 13 Best Glacier viewing (by boat) from Seward or Whittier
- 14 rain in Kauai
- 15 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 16 Hotel in Santa Barbara
- 17 Antelope Canyon. Tour form Page or just show up there and pick a guide ?
- 18 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 19 WISCONSIN
- 20 Wedding in Hawaii
- 21 Charleston, SC Beaches
- 22 Christmas cruise in Hawaii
- 23 Shuttle Recommendations - Penn Station to JFK
- 24 Cabins less than one hour Rabun County Georgia in NC
- 25 Yellowstone and Grand Tetons Sept - Itinerary/Lodging Decisions