DH and I will be in Fort Lauderdale visiting family before Christmas. We plan to leave our tweens with grandma for two nights for a short couples getaway.
We have been to Miami and Palm Beach areas on numerous day trips and to Naples on a previous trip (which I really enjoyed). Have been to almost all of the Caribbean islands previously. Don't have the budget for flights so are looking for a little getaway within driving distance.
I have never been to the keys and am intrigued by visiting a place that sounds like the "northern caribbean" (that's how I felt visiting New Orleans which I enjoyed in any event!). Wouldn't mind checking out Hemmingway house in KW either. BUT reading about Duvall St does not sound like our scene at all. We prefer quiet locations with some nature activities, paddling, good food and cultural sights. I thought the drive would be nice but it sounds like most of the stretch is not the nice picture of bridges spanning the water. DH does not like the idea of one lane roads with bait/t-shirt shops on either side.
Am now thinking maybe we could spend two nights in a place like Marathon or Islamorada which sounds nicer (and quieter) and maybe just go to KW for a day. I'm not fussed about not having sandy beaches as long as we can still go for a dip/paddle/snorkel somewhere.
Any thoughts? Or just not venture to the Keys at all? Save our money for a longer trip to the Caribbean? I'm just not sure if it's worth it for the prices in December.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Road trip during Winters in Utah-NV
- 2 Florida Vacation Rental
- 3 Please do not call California, 'Cali' or San Francisco, ' Frisco'. .
- 4 San Francisco to Seattle in a day (fires in Oregon)
- 5 Inexpensive Restaurants Near Canyonlands and Capitol Reef?
- 6 Getting from Seatac airport to downtown Seattle
- 7 Dining after show at Sondheim Theatre
- 8 Southern California Sand Dunes - Oceano Dunes
- 9 50th wedding anniversary in Hawaii??
- 10 help me plan a Cali trip
- 11 Kauai: First Trip Help Please
- 12 NYC 9/11 Tour - best options?
- 13 10-hour MIA layover ideas?
- 14 Alaska trip rough Itinerary for Sep 2017
- 15 Mesa Verde question
- 16 Planning our Move
- 17 Wilmington DE questions
- 18 Road Trip Travel Advice - 2 Days or 3?
- 19 Great Smoky Mountains trip: Tennessee or North Carolina?
- 20 2 Grannies, 2 parents & 1 three-yr-old
- 21 Best options for viewing, learning about lava flows on Big Island?
- 22 Need tips for 14 day alaska trip Please help!
- 23 Hawaii at Christmas with older teens
- 24 Sperry chalet destroyed by fire
- 25 Overnight stay along Newburyport/Rockport train line