My Lady Wife and I just spent a pleasant short visit to St Simons, GA (http://www.goldenisles.com/st-simons-island )
We stayed at the Ocean Inn and Suites (http://www.oceaninnsuites.com/ ) which we can recommend very highly.
Our suite, no. 304, was in the upper left corner of the building as you face it. Very large room with a king and a double, a couch, 2 desks, mini fridge, microwave, TV a sit-down balcony with 2 chairs, and the usual mod cons.
Lovely view of the lighthouse and the water, about 3 blks from the village - $150/nite with covered parking and bkfst. (To be honest, the bkfst is mediocre.)
We ate at Mullet Bay (http://mulletbayrestaurant.com/ ), which we describe as “Old Florida” – olde style beach resort. Food and service were both VG. Prices were reasonable. I thought the Fish Tacos were well worth the price.
We also had dinner at Halyards (http://www.halyardsrestaurant.com/ ). Don’t be put off by it’s being in a shopping center. It is very, very good. Far superior to most restos on the island.
The menu is limited, but as Spencer Tracy once said, “What there is is cherce”. Excellent fish and seafood. The squash ravioli with a sauce of duck confit was top notch.
Service was quiet, discreet and very good.
Driving home, we took the scenic way up Rte 17, where we came upon a convenience store with a sign that said “Local Honey Inside”.
I wanted to check out the local honey, but Roberta said that it wasn’t necessary.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 How many days to spend in San Francisco, LA & Las vegas?
- 2 Grand Circle Road Trip
- 3 3/31-5/29 New Tracy Letts Play!
- 4 Cape Cod
- 5 San Francisco during Super Bowl week
- 6 Whale Watching in Kauai
- 7 Room With Balcony and Ocean View: $250-$300
- 8 Summer Vaca Destination for families driving from Michigan and Georgia?
- 9 reliable transportation across florida
- 10 Jazz Fest shuttle buses
- 11 Moving to DC ( Nova area) Please help me
- 12 Camping in Yellowstone? Good idea for a family?
- 13 Las Vegas loop
- 14 Car-less in Atlanta (by Train)
- 15 Redwood National Forest
- 16 Grand Canyon Helicopter Ride
- 17 Driving from NY to Boston in February
- 18 Uber and Miami
- 19 Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor - how to get to the city?
- 20 Springfield, Illinois and no car. Worth a slight detour?
- 21 Itinary for Maui - help please
- 22 camping in the Finger Lakes region
- 23 Safe travel route from Medford, Oregon to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- 24 4 days in wine country. Where should we stay?
- 25 Which hotel in Washington, D.C.?