My Lady Wife and I just spent a pleasant short visit to St Simons, GA (http://www.goldenisles.com/st-simons-island )
We stayed at the Ocean Inn and Suites (http://www.oceaninnsuites.com/ ) which we can recommend very highly.
Our suite, no. 304, was in the upper left corner of the building as you face it. Very large room with a king and a double, a couch, 2 desks, mini fridge, microwave, TV a sit-down balcony with 2 chairs, and the usual mod cons.
Lovely view of the lighthouse and the water, about 3 blks from the village - $150/nite with covered parking and bkfst. (To be honest, the bkfst is mediocre.)
We ate at Mullet Bay (http://mulletbayrestaurant.com/ ), which we describe as “Old Florida” – olde style beach resort. Food and service were both VG. Prices were reasonable. I thought the Fish Tacos were well worth the price.
We also had dinner at Halyards (http://www.halyardsrestaurant.com/ ). Don’t be put off by it’s being in a shopping center. It is very, very good. Far superior to most restos on the island.
The menu is limited, but as Spencer Tracy once said, “What there is is cherce”. Excellent fish and seafood. The squash ravioli with a sauce of duck confit was top notch.
Service was quiet, discreet and very good.
Driving home, we took the scenic way up Rte 17, where we came upon a convenience store with a sign that said “Local Honey Inside”.
I wanted to check out the local honey, but Roberta said that it wasn’t necessary.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Parking fine
- 2 San Diego Clothing Help (woman)
- 3 10 days in Arizona
- 4 DC/MD/VA GTG in the Fall, Lunch on Oct. 3
- 5 Berkshires with a toddler
- 6 Vegas/California May 2016
- 7 The Southern Coast of Maine 3 nights
- 8 Traveling to NYC - staying over Thanksgiving
- 9 flumin the ditch
- 10 Solo in Hawaii
- 11 hilicopter tour oahu
- 12 8 hour layover at DFW
- 13 Staying at Belvedere in Sept--how early to make reservations?
- 14 4 days in San Diego in october
- 15 Martha's Vineyard_Day Trip
- 16 Condos in Kauai and Big Island
- 17 Another Quick NYC Trip - Food Ideas?
- 18 Boston travel to North Carolina
- 19 AC Hotels cheap by clean
- 20 Overwhelmed by Alaskan shore excursion choices
- 21 Eugene, OR/Redwoods/San Francisco
- 22 After FL and CA, where else in the US with a 7-year-old?
- 23 CA AZ UT NV Road Trip
- 24 Washington Monument Reservtions and timing ~ plus Paddleboats
- 25 To Schenectady to Trains to Spanish Immersion Course in Mexico