My Lady Wife and I just spent a pleasant short visit to St Simons, GA (http://www.goldenisles.com/st-simons-island )
We stayed at the Ocean Inn and Suites (http://www.oceaninnsuites.com/ ) which we can recommend very highly.
Our suite, no. 304, was in the upper left corner of the building as you face it. Very large room with a king and a double, a couch, 2 desks, mini fridge, microwave, TV a sit-down balcony with 2 chairs, and the usual mod cons.
Lovely view of the lighthouse and the water, about 3 blks from the village - $150/nite with covered parking and bkfst. (To be honest, the bkfst is mediocre.)
We ate at Mullet Bay (http://mulletbayrestaurant.com/ ), which we describe as “Old Florida” – olde style beach resort. Food and service were both VG. Prices were reasonable. I thought the Fish Tacos were well worth the price.
We also had dinner at Halyards (http://www.halyardsrestaurant.com/ ). Don’t be put off by it’s being in a shopping center. It is very, very good. Far superior to most restos on the island.
The menu is limited, but as Spencer Tracy once said, “What there is is cherce”. Excellent fish and seafood. The squash ravioli with a sauce of duck confit was top notch.
Service was quiet, discreet and very good.
Driving home, we took the scenic way up Rte 17, where we came upon a convenience store with a sign that said “Local Honey Inside”.
I wanted to check out the local honey, but Roberta said that it wasn’t necessary.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 New York overnight - dinner & after choices
- 2 Driving from New York to Atlanta,Ga
- 3 Build a Chicago itinerary?
- 4 Broadway Banter revived, Spring 2015!
- 5 traveling to Nashville
- 6 Help finalize my Colorado activities & lodging
- 7 NYC Vacation Packages - Two Thumbs Up!
- 8 Alaska Trip Report: Anchorage, Denali, Seward, Juneau & Glacier Bay
- 9 Transportation Newark/High Line and Penn Station/Newark
- 10 Driving route: Monument Valley to Moab on hot day
- 11 Miami Transportation Mid-Beach to South Beach
- 12 6 days in Boston - review itinerary & other recs needed
- 13 Seattle to Portland- ideas for places to stay?
- 14 Cody, Wyoming rodeo
- 15 Our Badlands, Black Hills, Yellowstone Adventure, June 2015
- 16 Best route to Cody?
- 17 Las Vegas
- 18 Los Angeles 4 nghts/5days
- 19 Yosemite and Sequoia
- 20 Bath County, VA - anyone ever been?
- 21 national/state park in November
- 22 Road trip NYC to Dallas
- 23 Family trip to San Diego. Itinerary help!
- 24 50th in Hawaii
- 25 Florida Family vacation in California