My Lady Wife and I just spent a pleasant short visit to St Simons, GA (http://www.goldenisles.com/st-simons-island )
We stayed at the Ocean Inn and Suites (http://www.oceaninnsuites.com/ ) which we can recommend very highly.
Our suite, no. 304, was in the upper left corner of the building as you face it. Very large room with a king and a double, a couch, 2 desks, mini fridge, microwave, TV a sit-down balcony with 2 chairs, and the usual mod cons.
Lovely view of the lighthouse and the water, about 3 blks from the village - $150/nite with covered parking and bkfst. (To be honest, the bkfst is mediocre.)
We ate at Mullet Bay (http://mulletbayrestaurant.com/ ), which we describe as “Old Florida” – olde style beach resort. Food and service were both VG. Prices were reasonable. I thought the Fish Tacos were well worth the price.
We also had dinner at Halyards (http://www.halyardsrestaurant.com/ ). Don’t be put off by it’s being in a shopping center. It is very, very good. Far superior to most restos on the island.
The menu is limited, but as Spencer Tracy once said, “What there is is cherce”. Excellent fish and seafood. The squash ravioli with a sauce of duck confit was top notch.
Service was quiet, discreet and very good.
Driving home, we took the scenic way up Rte 17, where we came upon a convenience store with a sign that said “Local Honey Inside”.
I wanted to check out the local honey, but Roberta said that it wasn’t necessary.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Even Disney isn't Disney anymore
- 2 JFK 10 hour layover-World Trade Center + ?
- 3 Northern California Fall itinerary help
- 4 Where to Spend Two Weeks in Florida in February
- 5 October 2016 Hawaii trip help please
- 6 Southern history- walkable cities
- 7 Scenic mountain views near Spokane
- 8 Any Cheaper way to fly into Jackson Hole?
- 9 New Software
- 10 MOAB NP
- 11 JFK-connection
- 12 Need help with National Parks trip in 2017
- 13 A Gem of a Restaurant in Long Beach, CA
- 14 10 days vacation in Maine
- 15 Planning Rim2Rim Hike at Grand Canyon
- 16 Honeymoon Lodging and Activites in Sonoma
- 17 Aussie family heading to the US for the first time
- 18 Calming Stay near Seattle/Vacouver??
- 19 Hawaii - What 2 Islands? Maui, HI or Honolulu
- 20 5-7day one way Cruise or 26 glacier day cruise
- 21 san fransisco to crater lake
- 22 Family reunion ideas
- 23 Glacier-Banaff-Jasper NPs Car Rental
- 24 Aug. cruise wardrobe
- 25 One night one day in dallas accommodation