My Lady Wife and I just spent a pleasant short visit to St Simons, GA (http://www.goldenisles.com/st-simons-island )
We stayed at the Ocean Inn and Suites (http://www.oceaninnsuites.com/ ) which we can recommend very highly.
Our suite, no. 304, was in the upper left corner of the building as you face it. Very large room with a king and a double, a couch, 2 desks, mini fridge, microwave, TV a sit-down balcony with 2 chairs, and the usual mod cons.
Lovely view of the lighthouse and the water, about 3 blks from the village - $150/nite with covered parking and bkfst. (To be honest, the bkfst is mediocre.)
We ate at Mullet Bay (http://mulletbayrestaurant.com/ ), which we describe as “Old Florida” – olde style beach resort. Food and service were both VG. Prices were reasonable. I thought the Fish Tacos were well worth the price.
We also had dinner at Halyards (http://www.halyardsrestaurant.com/ ). Don’t be put off by it’s being in a shopping center. It is very, very good. Far superior to most restos on the island.
The menu is limited, but as Spencer Tracy once said, “What there is is cherce”. Excellent fish and seafood. The squash ravioli with a sauce of duck confit was top notch.
Service was quiet, discreet and very good.
Driving home, we took the scenic way up Rte 17, where we came upon a convenience store with a sign that said “Local Honey Inside”.
I wanted to check out the local honey, but Roberta said that it wasn’t necessary.
Ira Visits St Simons
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 yk & family 4-day trip to Portland, Maine; July 2014
- 2 moving to florida
- 3 Drive Seattle to Las Vegas
- 4 New Englandly: a Bit of Time in Massachusetts and Maine
- 5 Ideas for 1st time trip to LA/Santa Monica/Hollywood with 16 yr old
- 6 Convenient Accommodation suggestions
- 7 Trip Report - Jersey Shore, Cherry Hill, Philly, back to the roots...
- 8 Carlsbad/San Diego Ideas
- 9 Denver, Colorado, local's advice: Bistrot Vendome or other?
- 10 Road Trip Help--- Philly to Sunset, SC (Virginia portion)
- 11 Alaska Local Knowledge Request
- 12 A few SF recommendations/itinerary review
- 13 Cape Cod trip report
- 14 Detroit area getaway - outside of the city
- 15 What a great weekend in Cooperstown (July 24-27)
- 16 Vacation with 1 year old - ideas?
- 17 Alaska Trip Report—10 days by car in July
- 18 Road Trip SW
- 19 Seafood
- 20 2 weeks in Alaska
- 21 San Diego farmer's markets
- 22 DENALI FLIGHTSEEING/BUS TOUR OPTION?
- 23 Honeymoon/road trip/adventure/help!
- 24 car rental from denver airport and shuttle question
- 25 Connecticut River Byway