My Lady Wife and I just spent a pleasant short visit to St Simons, GA (http://www.goldenisles.com/st-simons-island )
We stayed at the Ocean Inn and Suites (http://www.oceaninnsuites.com/ ) which we can recommend very highly.
Our suite, no. 304, was in the upper left corner of the building as you face it. Very large room with a king and a double, a couch, 2 desks, mini fridge, microwave, TV a sit-down balcony with 2 chairs, and the usual mod cons.
Lovely view of the lighthouse and the water, about 3 blks from the village - $150/nite with covered parking and bkfst. (To be honest, the bkfst is mediocre.)
We ate at Mullet Bay (http://mulletbayrestaurant.com/ ), which we describe as “Old Florida” – olde style beach resort. Food and service were both VG. Prices were reasonable. I thought the Fish Tacos were well worth the price.
We also had dinner at Halyards (http://www.halyardsrestaurant.com/ ). Don’t be put off by it’s being in a shopping center. It is very, very good. Far superior to most restos on the island.
The menu is limited, but as Spencer Tracy once said, “What there is is cherce”. Excellent fish and seafood. The squash ravioli with a sauce of duck confit was top notch.
Service was quiet, discreet and very good.
Driving home, we took the scenic way up Rte 17, where we came upon a convenience store with a sign that said “Local Honey Inside”.
I wanted to check out the local honey, but Roberta said that it wasn’t necessary.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Road trip to Utah in Dec 2015
- 2 Maine
- 3 Hotel suggestions San Francisco
- 4 Choosing between a few cities for a long weekend trip
- 5 Senior Travel Helper
- 6 Help with driving East to West
- 7 New York City Transportation Experts - this one is for you!
- 8 Yellowstone in Early October?
- 9 Long weekend in D.C. With family
- 10 Alcatraz Tour Tickets - Resell or cancel possible?
- 11 NYC Suggestions - Six Week Trip…?
- 12 Southern Cali itinerary help
- 13 Vermont/New Hampshire
- 14 WestInn Times Sq. eating and transport options please
- 15 Pacific coast road trip
- 16 5 nights/6 days in Honolulu during Thanksgiving
- 17 Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown in 1 day
- 18 MANN FAMILY FARM- BOLINAS CA: Do You Know This Area?
- 19 Quick out of Atlanta Get Away with the Kids... New Orleans? Miami?
- 20 Where to stay in Kansas City MO/What to do
- 21 Yellowstone/Grand Teton,feeric but turists and Xanterra need improvement
- 22 NYC - Sargent - Sorolla
- 23 San Francisco to LA, road or rail?
- 24 Coronado, La Jolla, or Other?
- 25 Overnight between Mt. Rushmore & YNP?