My Lady Wife and I just spent a pleasant short visit to St Simons, GA (http://www.goldenisles.com/st-simons-island )
We stayed at the Ocean Inn and Suites (http://www.oceaninnsuites.com/ ) which we can recommend very highly.
Our suite, no. 304, was in the upper left corner of the building as you face it. Very large room with a king and a double, a couch, 2 desks, mini fridge, microwave, TV a sit-down balcony with 2 chairs, and the usual mod cons.
Lovely view of the lighthouse and the water, about 3 blks from the village - $150/nite with covered parking and bkfst. (To be honest, the bkfst is mediocre.)
We ate at Mullet Bay (http://mulletbayrestaurant.com/ ), which we describe as “Old Florida” – olde style beach resort. Food and service were both VG. Prices were reasonable. I thought the Fish Tacos were well worth the price.
We also had dinner at Halyards (http://www.halyardsrestaurant.com/ ). Don’t be put off by it’s being in a shopping center. It is very, very good. Far superior to most restos on the island.
The menu is limited, but as Spencer Tracy once said, “What there is is cherce”. Excellent fish and seafood. The squash ravioli with a sauce of duck confit was top notch.
Service was quiet, discreet and very good.
Driving home, we took the scenic way up Rte 17, where we came upon a convenience store with a sign that said “Local Honey Inside”.
I wanted to check out the local honey, but Roberta said that it wasn’t necessary.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 I95
- 2 San Diego to Oregon road trip itinerary
- 3 Kauai - Grand Hyatt and somewhere else?
- 4 Wine Country
- 5 Driving from Provo to Grand Junction in March 2017
- 6 San Francisco first visit.
- 7 Please help me add SNP to my road trip!
- 8 Ideas for February Road Trip from San Francisco?
- 9 Please help with Route 66 planning, overnight stops and detours
- 10 Looking for a restaurant! Oregon 101
- 11 Hawaii Help
- 12 Renting a car with DWAI
- 13 USA Trip in 4 Weeks
- 14 Labor Day in Key West...Literally
- 15 Arizona on a whirlwind update
- 16 First Time Oahu/Maui
- 17 Baltimore City: Some Flickr Photo Albums
- 18 Has anyone rent US travel WiFi before?
- 19 Yellowstone in early May
- 20 CHRISTMAS WEEK: NEW YORK STYLE
- 21 Grand Hyatt Kauai-Why Not?
- 22 Yosemite Trip May 2017
- 23 Olympic vs. Redwood NPs
- 24 NYC: Milburn or Millenium Hilton
- 25 What time should we buy Liberty/Ellis Island tickets for?