My Lady Wife and I just spent a pleasant short visit to St Simons, GA (http://www.goldenisles.com/st-simons-island )
We stayed at the Ocean Inn and Suites (http://www.oceaninnsuites.com/ ) which we can recommend very highly.
Our suite, no. 304, was in the upper left corner of the building as you face it. Very large room with a king and a double, a couch, 2 desks, mini fridge, microwave, TV a sit-down balcony with 2 chairs, and the usual mod cons.
Lovely view of the lighthouse and the water, about 3 blks from the village - $150/nite with covered parking and bkfst. (To be honest, the bkfst is mediocre.)
We ate at Mullet Bay (http://mulletbayrestaurant.com/ ), which we describe as “Old Florida” – olde style beach resort. Food and service were both VG. Prices were reasonable. I thought the Fish Tacos were well worth the price.
We also had dinner at Halyards (http://www.halyardsrestaurant.com/ ). Don’t be put off by it’s being in a shopping center. It is very, very good. Far superior to most restos on the island.
The menu is limited, but as Spencer Tracy once said, “What there is is cherce”. Excellent fish and seafood. The squash ravioli with a sauce of duck confit was top notch.
Service was quiet, discreet and very good.
Driving home, we took the scenic way up Rte 17, where we came upon a convenience store with a sign that said “Local Honey Inside”.
I wanted to check out the local honey, but Roberta said that it wasn’t necessary.
Ira Visits St Simons
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 NYC to LA road trip - Buy or rent a car?
- 2 san fran sightseeing
- 3 Yellowstone in the winter?
- 4 Washington and Oregon Fall vacation 2015
- 5 Transportation from Newark to Midtown Hotel
- 6 NYC Department Store Windows for Christmas - Ready, Set, Go
- 7 Public transportation in Salem MA
- 8 Martha's Vineyard Sailing
- 9 Side Show is a must-see show on Broadway
- 10 Las Vegas to Grand Canyon, February
- 11 American Honeymoon in March
- 12 Best way to spend a few hours in Greater Los Angeles?
- 13 A trip to the SW: Not rushed, do it all, perfect time of year.
- 14 4 week family trip ideas
- 15 Public Transportation to DC and NY from Baltimore Area
- 16 Boston in winter?
- 17 best places to visit in winter through WV to North Carolina
- 18 Elephant Man Preview on Broadway with Bradley Cooper
- 19 Accommodation New Orleans LA
- 20 Transportation from Seattle to Vancouver BC
- 21 Philadelphia accommodation thoughts
- 22 San Diego/ Baja / Desert / Vegas/ Mexico
- 23 Gulf coast - Naples, Sanibel Island, Marco Island or Fort Meyers, which one
- 24 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 25 Did Interstates ruin travel in America?