My Lady Wife and I just spent a pleasant short visit to St Simons, GA (http://www.goldenisles.com/st-simons-island )
We stayed at the Ocean Inn and Suites (http://www.oceaninnsuites.com/ ) which we can recommend very highly.
Our suite, no. 304, was in the upper left corner of the building as you face it. Very large room with a king and a double, a couch, 2 desks, mini fridge, microwave, TV a sit-down balcony with 2 chairs, and the usual mod cons.
Lovely view of the lighthouse and the water, about 3 blks from the village - $150/nite with covered parking and bkfst. (To be honest, the bkfst is mediocre.)
We ate at Mullet Bay (http://mulletbayrestaurant.com/ ), which we describe as “Old Florida” – olde style beach resort. Food and service were both VG. Prices were reasonable. I thought the Fish Tacos were well worth the price.
We also had dinner at Halyards (http://www.halyardsrestaurant.com/ ). Don’t be put off by it’s being in a shopping center. It is very, very good. Far superior to most restos on the island.
The menu is limited, but as Spencer Tracy once said, “What there is is cherce”. Excellent fish and seafood. The squash ravioli with a sauce of duck confit was top notch.
Service was quiet, discreet and very good.
Driving home, we took the scenic way up Rte 17, where we came upon a convenience store with a sign that said “Local Honey Inside”.
I wanted to check out the local honey, but Roberta said that it wasn’t necessary.
Ira Visits St Simons
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Bar Harbor Maine or Mystic Connecticut in August.
- 2 Texas
- 3 Self guided White House tour
- 4 Charleston, SC Hotels
- 5 Northwest USA
- 6 middlebury vt snow
- 7 Tybee Island?... hilton head? help please?
- 8 Help with Moab itinerary for an overacheiver
- 9 Atlantic coast and mountain vacation
- 10 Santa Fe Area Hiking Early June - 3 full days.
- 11 Photos from Texas Christmas Road Trip
- 12 Itinerary for Vegas - Phoenix
- 13 New Orleans: Is 2 hours enough time to enjoy brunch at Commander's Palace?
- 14 What is the weather like in Kona in November?
- 15 First Trip to Nashville, TN - tips, suggestions
- 16 Kauai - day trips to North shore and Waimea Canyon/Kokee State Park
- 17 Moving to CT
- 18 Hotels Philly
- 19 Drive down the West Coast 2015
- 20 Ackislander
- 21 What National Parks to visit in Mid-March
- 22 san diego or nearby area
- 23 More than one hotel at Disney World?
- 24 Hawaii: Multi-generational family vacation
- 25 LA for a day and a half