My Lady Wife and I just spent a pleasant short visit to St Simons, GA (http://www.goldenisles.com/st-simons-island )
We stayed at the Ocean Inn and Suites (http://www.oceaninnsuites.com/ ) which we can recommend very highly.
Our suite, no. 304, was in the upper left corner of the building as you face it. Very large room with a king and a double, a couch, 2 desks, mini fridge, microwave, TV a sit-down balcony with 2 chairs, and the usual mod cons.
Lovely view of the lighthouse and the water, about 3 blks from the village - $150/nite with covered parking and bkfst. (To be honest, the bkfst is mediocre.)
We ate at Mullet Bay (http://mulletbayrestaurant.com/ ), which we describe as “Old Florida” – olde style beach resort. Food and service were both VG. Prices were reasonable. I thought the Fish Tacos were well worth the price.
We also had dinner at Halyards (http://www.halyardsrestaurant.com/ ). Don’t be put off by it’s being in a shopping center. It is very, very good. Far superior to most restos on the island.
The menu is limited, but as Spencer Tracy once said, “What there is is cherce”. Excellent fish and seafood. The squash ravioli with a sauce of duck confit was top notch.
Service was quiet, discreet and very good.
Driving home, we took the scenic way up Rte 17, where we came upon a convenience store with a sign that said “Local Honey Inside”.
I wanted to check out the local honey, but Roberta said that it wasn’t necessary.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Safety Concerns
- 2 Road trip through southern US states - must-see suggestions?
- 3 5 days in Colorado
- 4 8-Hour Napali Fishing Charter with Kids?
- 5 Alaska -public transport
- 6 Boston-Philadelphia: drive, fly, Amtrak?
- 7 NYC with 5 kids- SOLO
- 8 New England fall foilage trip planning please
- 9 4 days in wine country. Where should we stay?
- 10 Help! Road Trip from Boulder to Oregon 2/2016
- 11 Southwest road trip
- 12 ISO charming NYC hotel for a staycation
- 13 Alaska with Tauck on Princess Ship in June
- 14 Nashville and Gatlinburg
- 15 Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor - how to get to the city?
- 16 Should I go ahed with our Disney World trip over Easter
- 17 Bronx Help to visit hospital
- 18 Restaurants in Tucson, Phoenix, Scottsdale, Sedona
- 19 Avoiding tunnels driving from Atlanta to Philadelphia
- 20 Alaska independent tour for group
- 21 Homeless family murdered in Staten Island Motel
- 22 Jul, Aug or Sept for California trip, which is preferable and why?
- 23 Sedona for a Month
- 24 Moving to DC ( Nova area) Please help me
- 25 Hawaii Volcanoes