My Lady Wife and I just spent a pleasant short visit to St Simons, GA (http://www.goldenisles.com/st-simons-island )
We stayed at the Ocean Inn and Suites (http://www.oceaninnsuites.com/ ) which we can recommend very highly.
Our suite, no. 304, was in the upper left corner of the building as you face it. Very large room with a king and a double, a couch, 2 desks, mini fridge, microwave, TV a sit-down balcony with 2 chairs, and the usual mod cons.
Lovely view of the lighthouse and the water, about 3 blks from the village - $150/nite with covered parking and bkfst. (To be honest, the bkfst is mediocre.)
We ate at Mullet Bay (http://mulletbayrestaurant.com/ ), which we describe as “Old Florida” – olde style beach resort. Food and service were both VG. Prices were reasonable. I thought the Fish Tacos were well worth the price.
We also had dinner at Halyards (http://www.halyardsrestaurant.com/ ). Don’t be put off by it’s being in a shopping center. It is very, very good. Far superior to most restos on the island.
The menu is limited, but as Spencer Tracy once said, “What there is is cherce”. Excellent fish and seafood. The squash ravioli with a sauce of duck confit was top notch.
Service was quiet, discreet and very good.
Driving home, we took the scenic way up Rte 17, where we came upon a convenience store with a sign that said “Local Honey Inside”.
I wanted to check out the local honey, but Roberta said that it wasn’t necessary.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 AUGUST---7 day San Fran to San Diego
- 2 What to pack
- 3 Boston waterfront Italian
- 4 Need help with National Parks trip in 2017
- 5 Road trip from Gulf Coast to Key West
- 6 First time, Best business class?
- 7 Restaurant Recs for Minneapolis
- 8 Planning Rim2Rim Hike at Grand Canyon
- 9 Spa at THE Hotel at Mandalay Bay
- 10 Trip Report: 2 weeks from SF to Yellowstone and back, June 2016
- 11 Best restaurants?! - first time to NYC!
- 12 Zion and Bryce in July
- 13 Moving from Fresno CA to highpoint NC
- 14 Itinerary Help Needed
- 15 Los Angeles Indefinitely
- 16 Trip Report 2012 : 11 wonderful days in Alaska
- 17 CA Fire - need revised itinerary help
- 18 SW Colorado/San Juan Skyway ideas?
- 19 Between Naples and Fort Myers
- 20 Kids Vacation Place
- 21 Desert Southwest
- 22 Aug. cruise wardrobe
- 23 If you're in Cleveland for the GOP Convention
- 24 US-Canada road trip help
- 25 Cape cod, Vermont and Newyork