My Lady Wife and I just spent a pleasant short visit to St Simons, GA (http://www.goldenisles.com/st-simons-island )
We stayed at the Ocean Inn and Suites (http://www.oceaninnsuites.com/ ) which we can recommend very highly.
Our suite, no. 304, was in the upper left corner of the building as you face it. Very large room with a king and a double, a couch, 2 desks, mini fridge, microwave, TV a sit-down balcony with 2 chairs, and the usual mod cons.
Lovely view of the lighthouse and the water, about 3 blks from the village - $150/nite with covered parking and bkfst. (To be honest, the bkfst is mediocre.)
We ate at Mullet Bay (http://mulletbayrestaurant.com/ ), which we describe as “Old Florida” – olde style beach resort. Food and service were both VG. Prices were reasonable. I thought the Fish Tacos were well worth the price.
We also had dinner at Halyards (http://www.halyardsrestaurant.com/ ). Don’t be put off by it’s being in a shopping center. It is very, very good. Far superior to most restos on the island.
The menu is limited, but as Spencer Tracy once said, “What there is is cherce”. Excellent fish and seafood. The squash ravioli with a sauce of duck confit was top notch.
Service was quiet, discreet and very good.
Driving home, we took the scenic way up Rte 17, where we came upon a convenience store with a sign that said “Local Honey Inside”.
I wanted to check out the local honey, but Roberta said that it wasn’t necessary.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Hurricane Matthew damage along Florida East Coast?
- 2 Staying outside DC
- 3 Road trip from Madison, WI to Portland, OR in April, 2017
- 4 7 Day Photography Road trip from Vegas to Denver during Christmas
- 5 CAJUN region, plus NEW ORLEANS
- 6 New Years In Asheville with Nature and Beer on the side!
- 7 Ideas for New York
- 8 Suggestions for a Week in Portland
- 9 Going to L.A. dec18-25; Road trip to D.V. and on rt66
- 10 Christmas shopping in Sante Fe
- 11 9 days in Olympic NP and Seattle area
- 12 Road trip
- 13 What's your favorite "after theatre" place to eat in NYC??
- 14 Driving from Providence to Ohio in an '82 Volvo with a cat, but...
- 15 Getting married to a French man
- 16 3-week one-way cross country trip in June
- 17 Florida beach recommendation, please
- 18 Maine-Portland/Bar Harbor/Moosehead Lake
- 19 Phantom Ranch and....
- 20 Where to stay in Carmel area?
- 21 Where to visit
- 22 A Few Days in Asheville
- 23 10 Day California Trip - Itinirary Help
- 24 Miami to Ft Lauderdale
- 25 Great OR beach house locations?