My Lady Wife and I just spent a pleasant short visit to St Simons, GA (http://www.goldenisles.com/st-simons-island )
We stayed at the Ocean Inn and Suites (http://www.oceaninnsuites.com/ ) which we can recommend very highly.
Our suite, no. 304, was in the upper left corner of the building as you face it. Very large room with a king and a double, a couch, 2 desks, mini fridge, microwave, TV a sit-down balcony with 2 chairs, and the usual mod cons.
Lovely view of the lighthouse and the water, about 3 blks from the village - $150/nite with covered parking and bkfst. (To be honest, the bkfst is mediocre.)
We ate at Mullet Bay (http://mulletbayrestaurant.com/ ), which we describe as “Old Florida” – olde style beach resort. Food and service were both VG. Prices were reasonable. I thought the Fish Tacos were well worth the price.
We also had dinner at Halyards (http://www.halyardsrestaurant.com/ ). Don’t be put off by it’s being in a shopping center. It is very, very good. Far superior to most restos on the island.
The menu is limited, but as Spencer Tracy once said, “What there is is cherce”. Excellent fish and seafood. The squash ravioli with a sauce of duck confit was top notch.
Service was quiet, discreet and very good.
Driving home, we took the scenic way up Rte 17, where we came upon a convenience store with a sign that said “Local Honey Inside”.
I wanted to check out the local honey, but Roberta said that it wasn’t necessary.
Ira Visits St Simons
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Suggestions for drive from Seattle to LA via Oregon Idaho and utah
- 2 Quick NYC trip review: Girls Gone Wild Part Deux
- 3 Alaska restaurant prices
- 4 Priceline/HotWire Better Bidding Assistance
- 5 More Wine les Whine in Napa
- 6 Please help with four days in Boston-Cambridge-Salem
- 7 Cost of hotels in major cities of the USA
- 8 Getting from Washington DC to Dulles airport, quickest way possible
- 9 Where to raise a family in Florida?
- 10 Boston Marathon spectator questions
- 11 Daytona Beach and ??
- 12 Cape Cod Beaches requiring foot sanitation.
- 13 Beach holiday with baby
- 14 Chicago Information Need for a Possible Trip
- 15 Kennebunkport, Cape Cod or Martha's Vineyard
- 16 What is the best place to spend in summers in Texas?
- 17 Thoughts for two 14 yr old boys who enjoy NYC,Chicago/sneakers.
- 18 Whcih is the best fashion store chain
- 19 Renting a condo in Florida in January
- 20 Another Key West trip in the books!
- 21 Mukilteo to Whidbey Is. via Deception Pass & a ferry return??
- 22 Trip with grandson to Chicago and Michigan
- 23 Grand Marais?
- 24 Salt Lake City
- 25 8 day honeymoon around Leavenworth and Seattle