My Lady Wife and I just spent a pleasant short visit to St Simons, GA (http://www.goldenisles.com/st-simons-island )
We stayed at the Ocean Inn and Suites (http://www.oceaninnsuites.com/ ) which we can recommend very highly.
Our suite, no. 304, was in the upper left corner of the building as you face it. Very large room with a king and a double, a couch, 2 desks, mini fridge, microwave, TV a sit-down balcony with 2 chairs, and the usual mod cons.
Lovely view of the lighthouse and the water, about 3 blks from the village - $150/nite with covered parking and bkfst. (To be honest, the bkfst is mediocre.)
We ate at Mullet Bay (http://mulletbayrestaurant.com/ ), which we describe as “Old Florida” – olde style beach resort. Food and service were both VG. Prices were reasonable. I thought the Fish Tacos were well worth the price.
We also had dinner at Halyards (http://www.halyardsrestaurant.com/ ). Don’t be put off by it’s being in a shopping center. It is very, very good. Far superior to most restos on the island.
The menu is limited, but as Spencer Tracy once said, “What there is is cherce”. Excellent fish and seafood. The squash ravioli with a sauce of duck confit was top notch.
Service was quiet, discreet and very good.
Driving home, we took the scenic way up Rte 17, where we came upon a convenience store with a sign that said “Local Honey Inside”.
I wanted to check out the local honey, but Roberta said that it wasn’t necessary.
Ira Visits St Simons
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Richmond highlights?
- 2 Looking for good moonstone beach hotels in cambria
- 3 Best City on the Gulf Coast to live?
- 4 NYC becoming a battleground for Air BnB apartment rentals
- 5 "HUMORLESS" response to Kauai comment silliness
- 6 Central Park Fall Foliage
- 7 What do you do when your VRBO rental is a nightmare in Lake Geneva?
- 8 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 9 Weather in Hawaii in January
- 10 Pet Friendly places in Myrtle Beach
- 11 Grand Teton & Yellowstone & ???
- 12 I am "The Prince of Tides"
- 13 East Coast to West Coast travel route
- 14 Relocation: Where Do We Fit In
- 15 Things to do in and around Westbrook, CT in November 2014
- 16 New York accommodation - apartment for family needed (winter)
- 17 Breckenridge in October
- 18 Three or Four Nights in Moab?
- 19 Washington DC in Spring?
- 20 Quick advice needed for 1st visit to HNL & Kauai
- 21 montana vs ft nelson bc area
- 22 Must Eats
- 23 Need condo suggestions in Destin
- 24 Restaurants in and around Asheville, NC
- 25 Florida St George's Island