My Lady Wife and I just spent a pleasant short visit to St Simons, GA (http://www.goldenisles.com/st-simons-island )
We stayed at the Ocean Inn and Suites (http://www.oceaninnsuites.com/ ) which we can recommend very highly.
Our suite, no. 304, was in the upper left corner of the building as you face it. Very large room with a king and a double, a couch, 2 desks, mini fridge, microwave, TV a sit-down balcony with 2 chairs, and the usual mod cons.
Lovely view of the lighthouse and the water, about 3 blks from the village - $150/nite with covered parking and bkfst. (To be honest, the bkfst is mediocre.)
We ate at Mullet Bay (http://mulletbayrestaurant.com/ ), which we describe as “Old Florida” – olde style beach resort. Food and service were both VG. Prices were reasonable. I thought the Fish Tacos were well worth the price.
We also had dinner at Halyards (http://www.halyardsrestaurant.com/ ). Don’t be put off by it’s being in a shopping center. It is very, very good. Far superior to most restos on the island.
The menu is limited, but as Spencer Tracy once said, “What there is is cherce”. Excellent fish and seafood. The squash ravioli with a sauce of duck confit was top notch.
Service was quiet, discreet and very good.
Driving home, we took the scenic way up Rte 17, where we came upon a convenience store with a sign that said “Local Honey Inside”.
I wanted to check out the local honey, but Roberta said that it wasn’t necessary.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Where would you live for a year if housing was paid for?
- 2 How many states have you been to?
- 3 Chicago to Charleston
- 4 New Orleans to Memphis and back
- 5 Hotel Valencia, San Antonio RiverWalk
- 6 Honeymoon out west.
- 7 Hiking the Narrows, Zion National Park
- 8 USA, Trip to the south
- 9 Comment Needed: 22 Days - West Cost (California & LV)
- 10 Alaska Trip Planning Please Help
- 11 Amtrack: Denver to California?
- 12 Quick Trip to D.C. In April
- 13 Rental car or RV for road trip from San Francisco via Las Vegas to Denver
- 14 SF special dinner for 70 birthday
- 15 Retiring to Tucson
- 16 Trip Report: Charleston, Vero Beach, Beaufort
- 17 Bar Harbor to Boston
- 18 SD card usage in multiple devices and formatting
- 19 Travel options between Las Vegas and Grand Canyon South Rim
- 20 Where to watch Oscars in Palm Springs
- 21 Big Sure in June
- 22 My quickie roadtrip to Philly - art, photos, food, and some good karma.
- 23 Santa Fe Itineray
- 24 Roadtrip July 2017
- 25 Glacier, Yellowstone, Teton - Car Rental?