My Lady Wife and I just spent a pleasant short visit to St Simons, GA (http://www.goldenisles.com/st-simons-island )
We stayed at the Ocean Inn and Suites (http://www.oceaninnsuites.com/ ) which we can recommend very highly.
Our suite, no. 304, was in the upper left corner of the building as you face it. Very large room with a king and a double, a couch, 2 desks, mini fridge, microwave, TV a sit-down balcony with 2 chairs, and the usual mod cons.
Lovely view of the lighthouse and the water, about 3 blks from the village - $150/nite with covered parking and bkfst. (To be honest, the bkfst is mediocre.)
We ate at Mullet Bay (http://mulletbayrestaurant.com/ ), which we describe as “Old Florida” – olde style beach resort. Food and service were both VG. Prices were reasonable. I thought the Fish Tacos were well worth the price.
We also had dinner at Halyards (http://www.halyardsrestaurant.com/ ). Don’t be put off by it’s being in a shopping center. It is very, very good. Far superior to most restos on the island.
The menu is limited, but as Spencer Tracy once said, “What there is is cherce”. Excellent fish and seafood. The squash ravioli with a sauce of duck confit was top notch.
Service was quiet, discreet and very good.
Driving home, we took the scenic way up Rte 17, where we came upon a convenience store with a sign that said “Local Honey Inside”.
I wanted to check out the local honey, but Roberta said that it wasn’t necessary.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 On the Road: from Texas to Georgia. questions about NC
- 2 Retiring to Colorado
- 3 Best quality lodging Solitude Utah
- 4 A review of fabulous Miami Restaurants
- 5 suggestions needed for gulfport/biloxi/mobile/pensacola areas
- 6 Warning About Dollar Rent a Car in Lower Manhattan
- 7 Best route in winter from Washington DC to Niagara Falls
- 8 Drive from San Francisco to Seattle
- 9 Casino Del Sol Resort Tucson
- 10 Los Angeles one night only mid week
- 11 NYC Suggestions - Six Week Trip…?
- 12 My CA itinerary
- 13 Restaurant recomendations in the east 54th Street area, please.
- 14 Charleston and Asheville
- 15 6 days in Boston with kids - a lovely family vacation
- 16 Xmas in new york
- 17 Will be in Palm Springs CA November 14-29, 2015
- 18 Ft Lauderdale Hotels on the beach with Balconies
- 19 Washington D.C. with a 5 year old!
- 20 Spring Break/Master's Tickets 2016
- 21 Best MGM owned hotel on the Las Vegas Strip?
- 22 Dallas or Atlanta in January??
- 23 Nashville 2016
- 24 New Orleans for Thanksgiving
- 25 Thanksgiving in New Orleans and Tulane Visit