My Lady Wife and I just spent a pleasant short visit to St Simons, GA (http://www.goldenisles.com/st-simons-island )
We stayed at the Ocean Inn and Suites (http://www.oceaninnsuites.com/ ) which we can recommend very highly.
Our suite, no. 304, was in the upper left corner of the building as you face it. Very large room with a king and a double, a couch, 2 desks, mini fridge, microwave, TV a sit-down balcony with 2 chairs, and the usual mod cons.
Lovely view of the lighthouse and the water, about 3 blks from the village - $150/nite with covered parking and bkfst. (To be honest, the bkfst is mediocre.)
We ate at Mullet Bay (http://mulletbayrestaurant.com/ ), which we describe as “Old Florida” – olde style beach resort. Food and service were both VG. Prices were reasonable. I thought the Fish Tacos were well worth the price.
We also had dinner at Halyards (http://www.halyardsrestaurant.com/ ). Don’t be put off by it’s being in a shopping center. It is very, very good. Far superior to most restos on the island.
The menu is limited, but as Spencer Tracy once said, “What there is is cherce”. Excellent fish and seafood. The squash ravioli with a sauce of duck confit was top notch.
Service was quiet, discreet and very good.
Driving home, we took the scenic way up Rte 17, where we came upon a convenience store with a sign that said “Local Honey Inside”.
I wanted to check out the local honey, but Roberta said that it wasn’t necessary.
Ira Visits St Simons
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Atlanta to Denver Straight through
- 2 San Francisco - mid October
- 3 Where to go? Family looking for the perfect vacation spot.
- 4 Road Trip! Philadelphia to Montreal and Quebec
- 5 Vegas hotels for families
- 6 Lunch at the Lakeside (Boathouse) restaurant in Central Park
- 7 Kauai - a few miscellaneous questions
- 8 Where to go to hear good Hawaiian Music in Kauai?
- 9 10 days in Big Island and Kauai
- 10 San Diego with Kids
- 11 NYC Neighbourhoods
- 12 Morgan Library. Been there? Places to eat nearby?
- 13 Route from Port Angeles to Seattle.
- 14 San Diego Lodging help needed
- 15 Transportation help in Philly
- 16 Hotel Recommendations in downtown Austin
- 17 Where to stay for Acadia National Park
- 18 Wyndham timeshares--should we or shouldn't
- 19 Temecula< CA
- 20 San Diego beaches using public transportation
- 21 Car needed in New Orleans?
- 22 Road Trip from San Francisco - Hwy 1 to Carmel area or Yosemite??
- 23 Mt Rainier rainy/cloudy day activities
- 24 Bears and Traps. Our Grand Alaska Sea & Land Tour
- 25 East Coast trip in 11 full days.