My Lady Wife and I just spent a pleasant short visit to St Simons, GA (http://www.goldenisles.com/st-simons-island )
We stayed at the Ocean Inn and Suites (http://www.oceaninnsuites.com/ ) which we can recommend very highly.
Our suite, no. 304, was in the upper left corner of the building as you face it. Very large room with a king and a double, a couch, 2 desks, mini fridge, microwave, TV a sit-down balcony with 2 chairs, and the usual mod cons.
Lovely view of the lighthouse and the water, about 3 blks from the village - $150/nite with covered parking and bkfst. (To be honest, the bkfst is mediocre.)
We ate at Mullet Bay (http://mulletbayrestaurant.com/ ), which we describe as “Old Florida” – olde style beach resort. Food and service were both VG. Prices were reasonable. I thought the Fish Tacos were well worth the price.
We also had dinner at Halyards (http://www.halyardsrestaurant.com/ ). Don’t be put off by it’s being in a shopping center. It is very, very good. Far superior to most restos on the island.
The menu is limited, but as Spencer Tracy once said, “What there is is cherce”. Excellent fish and seafood. The squash ravioli with a sauce of duck confit was top notch.
Service was quiet, discreet and very good.
Driving home, we took the scenic way up Rte 17, where we came upon a convenience store with a sign that said “Local Honey Inside”.
I wanted to check out the local honey, but Roberta said that it wasn’t necessary.
Ira Visits St Simons
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Baggage & Missed Plane Connection Questions
- 2 Disappointed with Hotwire for our Austin Rental Car
- 3 HAWAII: Honolulu Airport Question
- 4 Oahu ideas
- 5 Kauai - Napali Coast - Air vs Water
- 6 Where to add a few days in Colorado?
- 7 Yosemite First timers in August survival Guide
- 8 Orlando-off-the-beaten-track
- 9 Finally!!! Santa Fe/ Albuquerque Family Christmas Break 2014
- 10 cape cod seashore rail trail
- 11 Yellowstone Road Closures - Impact Old Faithful
- 12 Joe Tro's San Francisco trip report
- 13 Driving from Philly to Stowe, VT. Need a scenic route!
- 14 Transportation between Seattle airport and Victoria Clipper pier
- 15 San Antonio suggestions anyone?
- 16 Dinner-Portland, OR-Favorites?
- 17 Hawaii Trip - Maui, Kauai and Honolulu in 9 days
- 18 Turning right with red traffic light ?
- 19 Aloha from Paradise (aka Kauai)
- 20 Connecticut trip 3rd week of September
- 21 3 days in Lake Travis area near Austin Texas
- 22 A Beautiful Bike Ride in Southern Delaware (Rehoboth, Bethany)
- 23 Road trip from Oakville to Vermont, Maine, Boston - too much in 7 days?
- 24 S. Utah 10 day Circle-Itinery-Ist pass
- 25 LA Long Weekend--Itinerary Help