Flew in/out on AirTran from ATL. About $200/ticket. Being limited to 2 quarts of carry on stuff was a pain.
Flights uneventful. Cab to/from NOLA airport is a fixed $33 for 2 people. Cheaper than the shuttle.
Stayed at the Country Inn and Suites on Magazine St. About 12 min from Jackson Sq. $72/nite
Nice bkfst, decent bagles, eggs were OK, make your own waffles, fruit
Bourbon Street has degenerated into an over-amplified, very noisy melange of strip joints and Coney Island bars.
Visited the usual places, plus the Hermann-Grima House (http://www.hgghh.org/) where we learned why New Orleans is "Norlens". The foundry mark on the cistern reads E. E. Parker, N.Orleans, 1831"
The New Orleans Museum of Art was worth a ride out on the Canal St trolley. http://noma.org/
(The trolley is $1.25 ea way – exact change only. $5 for a day pass. $12 for 3 days)
Lunch at the café was very nice. Smoked salmon on country bread, cheese plate (choice of 3 kinds) with chutney, Cajun-spiced pecans, bread, 2 glasses wine - $44.
Lunches at Acme Oyster House - about $30 (http://www.acmeoyster.com/)and K Paul’s Louisian Kitchen - about $40 (http://www.chefpaul.com/kpaul). The oyster Po Boy at the Acme was better than the crab. The crab Po Boy at K Paul’s was very good. The chicken Marchand (boned thigh stuffed with diced breast) at KP’s was excellent. At lunch KP’s makes a pretense of being just a cheap joint – plastic plates, cups and cutlery – otherwise it is pleasant.
Dinners at: Muriel’s (http://www.muriels.com/), very nice; Brennan’s (http://www.brennansneworleans.com/), even nicer (not cheap); Mulate’s (http://www.mulates.com/) – we especially liked watching the folks dancing to the Zydeco band. (I especially liked the Boudin sausage.)
Ate too much, drank too much, enjoyed ourselves greatly.
Ira Visits New Orleans
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Hotel near Miami airport
- 2 ideas for pacific coast drive (CA)
- 3 Gulf Shores Restaurants
- 4 Kauai -- Music Lovers!!!
- 5 Fall vacation in Colorado
- 6 Road Trip SW
- 7 Pacific Coast Hwy 10 days
- 8 Chicago trip
- 9 NYC IN AUGUST
- 10 Help w/ River Cruise Company-OH to Mississippi-end@New Orleans-Fall 2014
- 11 culpepper
- 12 Zion Narrows - Relatively Easy / Suitable for Older Folks?
- 13 Hiking Arches or Canyonlands National Park in fall?
- 14 San Fran to Las Vegas drive
- 15 Fancy dining
- 16 Lake Tahoe to Yosemite: advice needed
- 17 Will have five days in Savannah
- 18 Driving the BRP.....Virginia or North Carolina?
- 19 Trip Report: New York City July 25-27, 2014
- 20 Day Cruise from Whittier or Steward?
- 21 Itinerary opinions
- 22 Atascadero -> Pacific Grove -> San Francisco
- 23 Vegas - Grand Canyon - Tucson
- 24 Relocating Tips - Mild Weather, Good Schools, Low Cost of Living
- 25 Los Angeles itinerary for August trip