Flew in/out on AirTran from ATL. About $200/ticket. Being limited to 2 quarts of carry on stuff was a pain.
Flights uneventful. Cab to/from NOLA airport is a fixed $33 for 2 people. Cheaper than the shuttle.
Stayed at the Country Inn and Suites on Magazine St. About 12 min from Jackson Sq. $72/nite
Nice bkfst, decent bagles, eggs were OK, make your own waffles, fruit
Bourbon Street has degenerated into an over-amplified, very noisy melange of strip joints and Coney Island bars.
Visited the usual places, plus the Hermann-Grima House (http://www.hgghh.org/) where we learned why New Orleans is "Norlens". The foundry mark on the cistern reads E. E. Parker, N.Orleans, 1831"
The New Orleans Museum of Art was worth a ride out on the Canal St trolley. http://noma.org/
(The trolley is $1.25 ea way – exact change only. $5 for a day pass. $12 for 3 days)
Lunch at the café was very nice. Smoked salmon on country bread, cheese plate (choice of 3 kinds) with chutney, Cajun-spiced pecans, bread, 2 glasses wine - $44.
Lunches at Acme Oyster House - about $30 (http://www.acmeoyster.com/)and K Paul’s Louisian Kitchen - about $40 (http://www.chefpaul.com/kpaul). The oyster Po Boy at the Acme was better than the crab. The crab Po Boy at K Paul’s was very good. The chicken Marchand (boned thigh stuffed with diced breast) at KP’s was excellent. At lunch KP’s makes a pretense of being just a cheap joint – plastic plates, cups and cutlery – otherwise it is pleasant.
Dinners at: Muriel’s (http://www.muriels.com/), very nice; Brennan’s (http://www.brennansneworleans.com/), even nicer (not cheap); Mulate’s (http://www.mulates.com/) – we especially liked watching the folks dancing to the Zydeco band. (I especially liked the Boudin sausage.)
Ate too much, drank too much, enjoyed ourselves greatly.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Texas to New York Flight/Hotel Tips
- 2 Hudson Valley Drive Suggestions
- 3 Summer 2016 with three Children
- 4 Cashless Toll roads.
- 5 Pix from Paradise (the Big Island, Kauai & Maui)
- 6 2 hour radius of Boston 9/7
- 7 Farewell from Ira
- 8 Florida Keys with my retriever
- 9 DC/MD/VA GTG in the Fall, Lunch on Oct. 3
- 10 Family vacation itinerary pointers
- 11 Mid September New England trip itinerary
- 12 Help with driving East to West
- 13 taking home sand
- 14 Anniversary Weekend in Charleston, South Carolina
- 15 Where to take big family on the beach?
- 16 Zion - Angel's Landing Trail Closed
- 17 Long Weekend in KY: Bourbon Trail and Mammoth Cave
- 18 Broken Arrow
- 19 Need a corporate sedan in JFK
- 20 Champaigne, Illinois
- 21 Southern Cali itinerary help
- 22 Coronado, La Jolla, or Other?
- 23 Suggestions for Thanksgiving weekend on Cape Cod
- 24 Bed and Breakfasts in California
- 25 Once again, another great trip to DC (August 23-30)