Flew in/out on AirTran from ATL. About $200/ticket. Being limited to 2 quarts of carry on stuff was a pain.
Flights uneventful. Cab to/from NOLA airport is a fixed $33 for 2 people. Cheaper than the shuttle.
Stayed at the Country Inn and Suites on Magazine St. About 12 min from Jackson Sq. $72/nite
Nice bkfst, decent bagles, eggs were OK, make your own waffles, fruit
Bourbon Street has degenerated into an over-amplified, very noisy melange of strip joints and Coney Island bars.
Visited the usual places, plus the Hermann-Grima House (http://www.hgghh.org/) where we learned why New Orleans is "Norlens". The foundry mark on the cistern reads E. E. Parker, N.Orleans, 1831"
The New Orleans Museum of Art was worth a ride out on the Canal St trolley. http://noma.org/
(The trolley is $1.25 ea way – exact change only. $5 for a day pass. $12 for 3 days)
Lunch at the café was very nice. Smoked salmon on country bread, cheese plate (choice of 3 kinds) with chutney, Cajun-spiced pecans, bread, 2 glasses wine - $44.
Lunches at Acme Oyster House - about $30 (http://www.acmeoyster.com/)and K Paul’s Louisian Kitchen - about $40 (http://www.chefpaul.com/kpaul). The oyster Po Boy at the Acme was better than the crab. The crab Po Boy at K Paul’s was very good. The chicken Marchand (boned thigh stuffed with diced breast) at KP’s was excellent. At lunch KP’s makes a pretense of being just a cheap joint – plastic plates, cups and cutlery – otherwise it is pleasant.
Dinners at: Muriel’s (http://www.muriels.com/), very nice; Brennan’s (http://www.brennansneworleans.com/), even nicer (not cheap); Mulate’s (http://www.mulates.com/) – we especially liked watching the folks dancing to the Zydeco band. (I especially liked the Boudin sausage.)
Ate too much, drank too much, enjoyed ourselves greatly.
Ira Visits New Orleans
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Another Southwest Airlines Early Bird Question
- 2 Detroit area getaway - outside of the city
- 3 Mesa Verde
- 4 LUNCH IN ORLANDO, FL
- 5 NEW YORK CITY!!!
- 6 Hearst Castle - Is the Grand Rooms tour really the best for first timers?
- 7 Amtrak Train from California to Oregon or Washington
- 8 Coastal New England Road trip
- 9 Seattle: Something Different?
- 10 No accomodation in Hana...should we forget about it?
- 11 Seattle Hyatts
- 12 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 13 Bienville Hotel or Le Marais in New Orleans French Quarter
- 14 Boston Logan airport to Salem MA
- 15 Heading to Maine in September - Where are the moose?
- 16 Beachfront house rental - Fort Walton Beach/ Destin area
- 17 Half Moon Bay, CA - stay there or go to Napa Valley?
- 18 Park City ideas
- 19 5 days and 4 nights outside of San Francisco
- 20 LA via Death Valley, Grand Canyon to Vegas
- 21 Alaska trip -Labor Day weekend
- 22 NYC Clubs for live music
- 23 ONP help
- 24 Bar Harbor Maine to Boston
- 25 LA, San Diego and San Francisco in 8 days -- can/should we try?