Flew in/out on AirTran from ATL. About $200/ticket. Being limited to 2 quarts of carry on stuff was a pain.
Flights uneventful. Cab to/from NOLA airport is a fixed $33 for 2 people. Cheaper than the shuttle.
Stayed at the Country Inn and Suites on Magazine St. About 12 min from Jackson Sq. $72/nite
Nice bkfst, decent bagles, eggs were OK, make your own waffles, fruit
Bourbon Street has degenerated into an over-amplified, very noisy melange of strip joints and Coney Island bars.
Visited the usual places, plus the Hermann-Grima House (http://www.hgghh.org/) where we learned why New Orleans is "Norlens". The foundry mark on the cistern reads E. E. Parker, N.Orleans, 1831"
The New Orleans Museum of Art was worth a ride out on the Canal St trolley. http://noma.org/
(The trolley is $1.25 ea way – exact change only. $5 for a day pass. $12 for 3 days)
Lunch at the café was very nice. Smoked salmon on country bread, cheese plate (choice of 3 kinds) with chutney, Cajun-spiced pecans, bread, 2 glasses wine - $44.
Lunches at Acme Oyster House - about $30 (http://www.acmeoyster.com/)and K Paul’s Louisian Kitchen - about $40 (http://www.chefpaul.com/kpaul). The oyster Po Boy at the Acme was better than the crab. The crab Po Boy at K Paul’s was very good. The chicken Marchand (boned thigh stuffed with diced breast) at KP’s was excellent. At lunch KP’s makes a pretense of being just a cheap joint – plastic plates, cups and cutlery – otherwise it is pleasant.
Dinners at: Muriel’s (http://www.muriels.com/), very nice; Brennan’s (http://www.brennansneworleans.com/), even nicer (not cheap); Mulate’s (http://www.mulates.com/) – we especially liked watching the folks dancing to the Zydeco band. (I especially liked the Boudin sausage.)
Ate too much, drank too much, enjoyed ourselves greatly.
Ira Visits New Orleans
- 1 Savanah Sojourn
- 2 The impossible dream: Bypassing I-95 between DC and Richmond
- 3 dog friendly hotels websites--any others than bringfido.com?
- 4 Calling Cards for Hawaii Travelers?
- 5 RIP Judy Rogers
- 6 South Lake Tahoe (end of December 2013)
- 7 San Francisco Hotel Help
- 8 NY - Tapas/Wine bar in theater district
- 9 Princeville in January
- 10 Help! Travel plans to USA West Coast
- 11 Warm and don't Drive
- 12 pa to az
- 13 Seniors need help with itinerary for grandkids!
- 14 Roadtrip New Orleans, Vicksburg, Montgomery, Mobile, New Orleans
- 15 7 weeks Canada and USA. Help with itinerary please.
- 16 No high rises, low key natural area with water access in SW Fla
- 17 Yountville or Napa in February??
- 18 6 Reasons Hawaii Will Ruin Your Life
- 19 San Diego Desert Trip in January
- 20 Hotel Survey - UCSD student
- 21 4 Day Trip to Colorado
- 22 Best Cirque du Soleil show in Vegas 14 and 11 yo boys?
- 23 If you drive through Greensboro during holiday time....
- 24 Christmas-time in New York City? Special holiday experiences?
- 25 Charlotte Area Suggestions