Flew in/out on AirTran from ATL. About $200/ticket. Being limited to 2 quarts of carry on stuff was a pain.
Flights uneventful. Cab to/from NOLA airport is a fixed $33 for 2 people. Cheaper than the shuttle.
Stayed at the Country Inn and Suites on Magazine St. About 12 min from Jackson Sq. $72/nite
Nice bkfst, decent bagles, eggs were OK, make your own waffles, fruit
Bourbon Street has degenerated into an over-amplified, very noisy melange of strip joints and Coney Island bars.
Visited the usual places, plus the Hermann-Grima House (http://www.hgghh.org/) where we learned why New Orleans is "Norlens". The foundry mark on the cistern reads E. E. Parker, N.Orleans, 1831"
The New Orleans Museum of Art was worth a ride out on the Canal St trolley. http://noma.org/
(The trolley is $1.25 ea way – exact change only. $5 for a day pass. $12 for 3 days)
Lunch at the café was very nice. Smoked salmon on country bread, cheese plate (choice of 3 kinds) with chutney, Cajun-spiced pecans, bread, 2 glasses wine - $44.
Lunches at Acme Oyster House - about $30 (http://www.acmeoyster.com/)and K Paul’s Louisian Kitchen - about $40 (http://www.chefpaul.com/kpaul). The oyster Po Boy at the Acme was better than the crab. The crab Po Boy at K Paul’s was very good. The chicken Marchand (boned thigh stuffed with diced breast) at KP’s was excellent. At lunch KP’s makes a pretense of being just a cheap joint – plastic plates, cups and cutlery – otherwise it is pleasant.
Dinners at: Muriel’s (http://www.muriels.com/), very nice; Brennan’s (http://www.brennansneworleans.com/), even nicer (not cheap); Mulate’s (http://www.mulates.com/) – we especially liked watching the folks dancing to the Zydeco band. (I especially liked the Boudin sausage.)
Ate too much, drank too much, enjoyed ourselves greatly.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Philadelphia hotels near public transportation but not in city center
- 2 Pacific Northwest
- 3 A Week in New York City
- 4 Should we skip Yosemite?
- 5 Mackinac or Holland?
- 6 Car Hire Alamo
- 7 New Hampshire: start from Portsmouth?
- 8 Itinerary Advice for SLC - Moab - Zion
- 9 Getting around in NYC
- 10 Running kissimmee Florida
- 11 3 weeks No Cal and OR coast trip advise
- 12 NYC - Sargent - Sorolla
- 13 Where to stop from Litchfield Beach to Sharpsburg, Maryland
- 14 Columbia River Gorge - best scenic route in WA or OR?
- 15 New Orleans Best Guided Tours
- 16 To Schenectady to Trains to Spanish Immersion Course in Mexico
- 17 Mendocino Hiking
- 18 Yurts in Shenandoah/ Blue Ridge VA??
- 19 The New Whitney
- 20 Berkshires with a toddler
- 21 Should I cancel Florida vacation?
- 22 Ashland, Wisconsin
- 23 LA/Palm Springs for 6 days with teens?
- 24 Highway 1 motels
- 25 Bears and Traps. Our Grand Alaska Sea & Land Tour