Flew in/out on AirTran from ATL. About $200/ticket. Being limited to 2 quarts of carry on stuff was a pain.
Flights uneventful. Cab to/from NOLA airport is a fixed $33 for 2 people. Cheaper than the shuttle.
Stayed at the Country Inn and Suites on Magazine St. About 12 min from Jackson Sq. $72/nite
Nice bkfst, decent bagles, eggs were OK, make your own waffles, fruit
Bourbon Street has degenerated into an over-amplified, very noisy melange of strip joints and Coney Island bars.
Visited the usual places, plus the Hermann-Grima House (http://www.hgghh.org/) where we learned why New Orleans is "Norlens". The foundry mark on the cistern reads E. E. Parker, N.Orleans, 1831"
The New Orleans Museum of Art was worth a ride out on the Canal St trolley. http://noma.org/
(The trolley is $1.25 ea way – exact change only. $5 for a day pass. $12 for 3 days)
Lunch at the café was very nice. Smoked salmon on country bread, cheese plate (choice of 3 kinds) with chutney, Cajun-spiced pecans, bread, 2 glasses wine - $44.
Lunches at Acme Oyster House - about $30 (http://www.acmeoyster.com/)and K Paul’s Louisian Kitchen - about $40 (http://www.chefpaul.com/kpaul). The oyster Po Boy at the Acme was better than the crab. The crab Po Boy at K Paul’s was very good. The chicken Marchand (boned thigh stuffed with diced breast) at KP’s was excellent. At lunch KP’s makes a pretense of being just a cheap joint – plastic plates, cups and cutlery – otherwise it is pleasant.
Dinners at: Muriel’s (http://www.muriels.com/), very nice; Brennan’s (http://www.brennansneworleans.com/), even nicer (not cheap); Mulate’s (http://www.mulates.com/) – we especially liked watching the folks dancing to the Zydeco band. (I especially liked the Boudin sausage.)
Ate too much, drank too much, enjoyed ourselves greatly.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 http://reviverxtry.com/kerave-hair-be/
- 2 http://blogmium.com/lux-allure-ageless-moisturizer/
- 3 Best May/Jun Yosemite lodging areas: Yosemite West, El Portal, or Wawona?
- 4 Last minute Keys Trip Advice Please
- 5 Clear Roads From Seattle to Omaha 12-9-16?
- 6 Best Kids' Skiing <3 hours from Chicago?
- 7 Back from the Big Easy
- 8 Disappointed with Budget Car Rental Las Vegas
- 9 EWR to Midtown Manhattan
- 10 Driving from San Diego CA to Great lakes IL in FEB
- 11 17' uhaul from seattle wa to San Antonio Texas
- 12 DIA to Estes Park in mid-Feb. 4x4?
- 13 IAH to HOU Questions
- 14 Traveling into the US with Alcohol
- 15 "Unique" New York City Experiences-Yours
- 16 Jazzfest side trips
- 17 Sedona v Scottsdale?
- 18 March in New Mexico
- 19 No Spam this morning!!
- 20 San Francisco transit options
- 21 yosemite -grand canyon- bryce and zion
- 22 Ideas for New York
- 23 Lodging outside of Yellowstone
- 24 Road Trip from Washington DC to Asheville NC
- 25 Honeymoon Trip to California