Flew in/out on AirTran from ATL. About $200/ticket. Being limited to 2 quarts of carry on stuff was a pain.
Flights uneventful. Cab to/from NOLA airport is a fixed $33 for 2 people. Cheaper than the shuttle.
Stayed at the Country Inn and Suites on Magazine St. About 12 min from Jackson Sq. $72/nite
Nice bkfst, decent bagles, eggs were OK, make your own waffles, fruit
Bourbon Street has degenerated into an over-amplified, very noisy melange of strip joints and Coney Island bars.
Visited the usual places, plus the Hermann-Grima House (http://www.hgghh.org/) where we learned why New Orleans is "Norlens". The foundry mark on the cistern reads E. E. Parker, N.Orleans, 1831"
The New Orleans Museum of Art was worth a ride out on the Canal St trolley. http://noma.org/
(The trolley is $1.25 ea way – exact change only. $5 for a day pass. $12 for 3 days)
Lunch at the café was very nice. Smoked salmon on country bread, cheese plate (choice of 3 kinds) with chutney, Cajun-spiced pecans, bread, 2 glasses wine - $44.
Lunches at Acme Oyster House - about $30 (http://www.acmeoyster.com/)and K Paul’s Louisian Kitchen - about $40 (http://www.chefpaul.com/kpaul). The oyster Po Boy at the Acme was better than the crab. The crab Po Boy at K Paul’s was very good. The chicken Marchand (boned thigh stuffed with diced breast) at KP’s was excellent. At lunch KP’s makes a pretense of being just a cheap joint – plastic plates, cups and cutlery – otherwise it is pleasant.
Dinners at: Muriel’s (http://www.muriels.com/), very nice; Brennan’s (http://www.brennansneworleans.com/), even nicer (not cheap); Mulate’s (http://www.mulates.com/) – we especially liked watching the folks dancing to the Zydeco band. (I especially liked the Boudin sausage.)
Ate too much, drank too much, enjoyed ourselves greatly.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 US whole month of January where to
- 2 Miami airport--safety??
- 3 Road Trip-San Francisco and Los Angeles
- 4 Rocky Mountain road trip
- 5 Central Coast CA kayaking?
- 6 Things to do in Toronto
- 7 Antelope Canyon visit in August - best time
- 8 Mesa Verde National Park Colorado
- 9 Hawaiian Honeymoon - Hotel Advice
- 10 NEW ORLEANS AND CAJUN COUNTRY...A WEEK-LONG FOOD QUEST
- 11 Miami Beach and Baseball Trip - Hampton Inn or Sheraton Four Points
- 12 Looking for advice on my hitchhike trip plan
- 13 Road trip LA to Phoenix via Grand Canyon
- 14 Dinosaur National Monument
- 15 NYC THEATRE DISTRICT...new restaurant
- 16 Need advise(s) for travel from DFW to Destin FL
- 17 Restaurant near Whitney Museum
- 18 Westhester/Bronx/Yonkers area event planning
- 19 Destin, Fort Walton Beach, Pensacola Beach
- 20 Maui - luau question
- 21 The Big Island - Best Way to See the Volcano
- 22 Driving from Glacier National Park to Hood River
- 23 Monthly vacation rental Siesta Key
- 24 USA family tour
- 25 Grand Canyon, Zion maybe Antalope Canyon in 2 days