Flew in/out on AirTran from ATL. About $200/ticket. Being limited to 2 quarts of carry on stuff was a pain.
Flights uneventful. Cab to/from NOLA airport is a fixed $33 for 2 people. Cheaper than the shuttle.
Stayed at the Country Inn and Suites on Magazine St. About 12 min from Jackson Sq. $72/nite
Nice bkfst, decent bagles, eggs were OK, make your own waffles, fruit
Bourbon Street has degenerated into an over-amplified, very noisy melange of strip joints and Coney Island bars.
Visited the usual places, plus the Hermann-Grima House (http://www.hgghh.org/) where we learned why New Orleans is "Norlens". The foundry mark on the cistern reads E. E. Parker, N.Orleans, 1831"
The New Orleans Museum of Art was worth a ride out on the Canal St trolley. http://noma.org/
(The trolley is $1.25 ea way – exact change only. $5 for a day pass. $12 for 3 days)
Lunch at the café was very nice. Smoked salmon on country bread, cheese plate (choice of 3 kinds) with chutney, Cajun-spiced pecans, bread, 2 glasses wine - $44.
Lunches at Acme Oyster House - about $30 (http://www.acmeoyster.com/)and K Paul’s Louisian Kitchen - about $40 (http://www.chefpaul.com/kpaul). The oyster Po Boy at the Acme was better than the crab. The crab Po Boy at K Paul’s was very good. The chicken Marchand (boned thigh stuffed with diced breast) at KP’s was excellent. At lunch KP’s makes a pretense of being just a cheap joint – plastic plates, cups and cutlery – otherwise it is pleasant.
Dinners at: Muriel’s (http://www.muriels.com/), very nice; Brennan’s (http://www.brennansneworleans.com/), even nicer (not cheap); Mulate’s (http://www.mulates.com/) – we especially liked watching the folks dancing to the Zydeco band. (I especially liked the Boudin sausage.)
Ate too much, drank too much, enjoyed ourselves greatly.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 South beach Miami to Key west driving map
- 2 Tour guide in Bend, OR, for Lava Caves?
- 3 Depot Bay OR
- 4 Nat Park Trip in Utah - Too Much??
- 5 Sim Card and Carrier Plan for Data in US and Canada for tourist
- 6 Newport Historic District - where is it? Walking tour?
- 7 Transportation from downtown Miami to Ft. Lauderdale airport
- 8 Steamboat in August
- 9 Road trip from Boston to Florida
- 10 Drive from San Fran to Portland or Seattle in winter
- 11 Movies to put you in the mood for a western road trip
- 12 Island of Oahu: looking for cheap accommodation
- 13 Gotta Go To Stanford U Medical Center
- 14 California Summer weather/ clothing
- 15 1st trip to DC - for 2 nights
- 16 Las vegas +21
- 17 Phone SIM
- 18 How to search for condo rental in Oahu
- 19 Discount Broadway Show Tickets webistes
- 20 A June trip to Kauai
- 21 60th birthday trip to Vermont, NH, Maine in October
- 22 Samsonite Silhouette 7 repair part
- 23 Napa Valley Hotel
- 24 Do you have suggestions on my first roadtrip South-West USA?
- 25 Need Advice For Trip with 16year old son-