Flew in/out on AirTran from ATL. About $200/ticket. Being limited to 2 quarts of carry on stuff was a pain.
Flights uneventful. Cab to/from NOLA airport is a fixed $33 for 2 people. Cheaper than the shuttle.
Stayed at the Country Inn and Suites on Magazine St. About 12 min from Jackson Sq. $72/nite
Nice bkfst, decent bagles, eggs were OK, make your own waffles, fruit
Bourbon Street has degenerated into an over-amplified, very noisy melange of strip joints and Coney Island bars.
Visited the usual places, plus the Hermann-Grima House (http://www.hgghh.org/) where we learned why New Orleans is "Norlens". The foundry mark on the cistern reads E. E. Parker, N.Orleans, 1831"
The New Orleans Museum of Art was worth a ride out on the Canal St trolley. http://noma.org/
(The trolley is $1.25 ea way – exact change only. $5 for a day pass. $12 for 3 days)
Lunch at the café was very nice. Smoked salmon on country bread, cheese plate (choice of 3 kinds) with chutney, Cajun-spiced pecans, bread, 2 glasses wine - $44.
Lunches at Acme Oyster House - about $30 (http://www.acmeoyster.com/)and K Paul’s Louisian Kitchen - about $40 (http://www.chefpaul.com/kpaul). The oyster Po Boy at the Acme was better than the crab. The crab Po Boy at K Paul’s was very good. The chicken Marchand (boned thigh stuffed with diced breast) at KP’s was excellent. At lunch KP’s makes a pretense of being just a cheap joint – plastic plates, cups and cutlery – otherwise it is pleasant.
Dinners at: Muriel’s (http://www.muriels.com/), very nice; Brennan’s (http://www.brennansneworleans.com/), even nicer (not cheap); Mulate’s (http://www.mulates.com/) – we especially liked watching the folks dancing to the Zydeco band. (I especially liked the Boudin sausage.)
Ate too much, drank too much, enjoyed ourselves greatly.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Mississippi gulf coast
- 2 Lone traveler seeing Alaska in a rush!
- 3 A Drive Through the Poconos
- 4 Portland OR - Uber Question
- 5 itinerary for 2 weeks in Oregon in early September
- 6 Train, Boston to NYC, questions
- 7 Lake Powell
- 8 Inns in Manteo
- 9 Retirement Bucket List Trip: Santa Fe, Colorado Springs, Denver
- 10 Denver and Beyond for 6 Days -- What to do?
- 11 Bagels in Mid-town East
- 12 Southwest US vacation help
- 13 Baby Boomer Road Trip
- 14 Advice Albuquerque, Taos,Santa fe
- 15 Need itinerary suggestions for coastal ME trip mid October
- 16 New Mexico, Arizona, Utah vacation help
- 17 Having second thoughts regarding time allocation in NPs
- 18 Inviting all friends to get “Hawaii fix” on September 5, Saturday
- 19 Things to do in La Jolla
- 20 Colorado Springs to Durango 9 days
- 21 Restaurant recomendations in the east 54th Street area, please.
- 22 Broadway Banter revived, Spring 2015!
- 23 How to spend 4 days ending in Boston?
- 24 NYC to Florida drive....seeking advice on stops in Va, NC, SC
- 25 PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU BOOK WITH Buena Vista Vacation Management