Flew in/out on AirTran from ATL. About $200/ticket. Being limited to 2 quarts of carry on stuff was a pain.
Flights uneventful. Cab to/from NOLA airport is a fixed $33 for 2 people. Cheaper than the shuttle.
Stayed at the Country Inn and Suites on Magazine St. About 12 min from Jackson Sq. $72/nite
Nice bkfst, decent bagles, eggs were OK, make your own waffles, fruit
Bourbon Street has degenerated into an over-amplified, very noisy melange of strip joints and Coney Island bars.
Visited the usual places, plus the Hermann-Grima House (http://www.hgghh.org/) where we learned why New Orleans is "Norlens". The foundry mark on the cistern reads E. E. Parker, N.Orleans, 1831"
The New Orleans Museum of Art was worth a ride out on the Canal St trolley. http://noma.org/
(The trolley is $1.25 ea way – exact change only. $5 for a day pass. $12 for 3 days)
Lunch at the café was very nice. Smoked salmon on country bread, cheese plate (choice of 3 kinds) with chutney, Cajun-spiced pecans, bread, 2 glasses wine - $44.
Lunches at Acme Oyster House - about $30 (http://www.acmeoyster.com/)and K Paul’s Louisian Kitchen - about $40 (http://www.chefpaul.com/kpaul). The oyster Po Boy at the Acme was better than the crab. The crab Po Boy at K Paul’s was very good. The chicken Marchand (boned thigh stuffed with diced breast) at KP’s was excellent. At lunch KP’s makes a pretense of being just a cheap joint – plastic plates, cups and cutlery – otherwise it is pleasant.
Dinners at: Muriel’s (http://www.muriels.com/), very nice; Brennan’s (http://www.brennansneworleans.com/), even nicer (not cheap); Mulate’s (http://www.mulates.com/) – we especially liked watching the folks dancing to the Zydeco band. (I especially liked the Boudin sausage.)
Ate too much, drank too much, enjoyed ourselves greatly.
Ira Visits New Orleans
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Disappointed with Hotwire for our Austin Rental Car
- 2 Stubhub and NFL Tickets
- 3 Restaurant recommendations for Washington DC - city centre
- 4 Houston in September
- 5 Where to add a few days in Colorado?
- 6 Studio-size Apartments, Guest Houses for rent, Ojai and Ventura
- 7 Great Girls' Weekend in NYC!
- 8 Road Trip
- 9 New York City Restaurants
- 10 Best Sonoma Wineries for Group Visit
- 11 Itinerary for solo traveler to Maui, Hawaii
- 12 San Fran experts: need help with Bay vista points
- 13 Whale watching
- 14 Hawaii Trip - Maui, Kauai and Honolulu in 9 days
- 15 palm desert, CA
- 16 Priceline: bid for walkable to Alamo/Riverwalk in San Antonio. Possible?
- 17 New York Trip
- 18 Connecticut trip 3rd week of September
- 19 Restaurant recommendations for lower east side & upper west side
- 20 Turning right with red traffic light ?
- 21 Traffic north on Hwy. 1 in Maine Sat. 9/20 midday
- 22 Kauai - Napali Coast - Air vs Water
- 23 6 Weeks in the U.S./ London with Two 60ish Young At Heart
- 24 Hotels in North Philadelphia
- 25 Niagara Falls-- US side or Canada