Flew in/out on AirTran from ATL. About $200/ticket. Being limited to 2 quarts of carry on stuff was a pain.
Flights uneventful. Cab to/from NOLA airport is a fixed $33 for 2 people. Cheaper than the shuttle.
Stayed at the Country Inn and Suites on Magazine St. About 12 min from Jackson Sq. $72/nite
Nice bkfst, decent bagles, eggs were OK, make your own waffles, fruit
Bourbon Street has degenerated into an over-amplified, very noisy melange of strip joints and Coney Island bars.
Visited the usual places, plus the Hermann-Grima House (http://www.hgghh.org/) where we learned why New Orleans is "Norlens". The foundry mark on the cistern reads E. E. Parker, N.Orleans, 1831"
The New Orleans Museum of Art was worth a ride out on the Canal St trolley. http://noma.org/
(The trolley is $1.25 ea way – exact change only. $5 for a day pass. $12 for 3 days)
Lunch at the café was very nice. Smoked salmon on country bread, cheese plate (choice of 3 kinds) with chutney, Cajun-spiced pecans, bread, 2 glasses wine - $44.
Lunches at Acme Oyster House - about $30 (http://www.acmeoyster.com/)and K Paul’s Louisian Kitchen - about $40 (http://www.chefpaul.com/kpaul). The oyster Po Boy at the Acme was better than the crab. The crab Po Boy at K Paul’s was very good. The chicken Marchand (boned thigh stuffed with diced breast) at KP’s was excellent. At lunch KP’s makes a pretense of being just a cheap joint – plastic plates, cups and cutlery – otherwise it is pleasant.
Dinners at: Muriel’s (http://www.muriels.com/), very nice; Brennan’s (http://www.brennansneworleans.com/), even nicer (not cheap); Mulate’s (http://www.mulates.com/) – we especially liked watching the folks dancing to the Zydeco band. (I especially liked the Boudin sausage.)
Ate too much, drank too much, enjoyed ourselves greatly.
Ira Visits New Orleans
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 General Utah planning questions
- 2 ideas for roadtrip through Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado
- 3 A trip to the SW: Not rushed, do it all, perfect time of year.
- 4 New York City Christmas Trip
- 5 Dining in Manhattan
- 6 A Week in Naples Florida--Much Ado About Food (and Wine)
- 7 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 8 Cafe Sevilla – Best Tapas Restaurant
- 9 Chicago- The Godfrey hotel or the Hotel Burnham????
- 10 From Seattle airport to the city
- 11 Las Vegas to Grand Canyon, February
- 12 Washington - North cascades trails (Goat Lake and others) okay in winter?
- 13 Colorado Skiing
- 14 American Honeymoon in March
- 15 Is It Possible - One Post for MT, UT, WY in a Week?
- 16 Craft Beer & Delicious Food in Vegas
- 17 Road Trip to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho & Oregon
- 18 need two stop-overs from LA to Santa Fe, NM
- 19 golf and fishing recommendations in Tampa area
- 20 Recomendations for outlets in miami and hotels in orlando
- 21 Northern West Coast Road Trip
- 22 Yellowstone in the winter?
- 23 To San Francisco for 8 days
- 24 Middle America in October
- 25 visit to HIghLine