Flew in/out on AirTran from ATL. About $200/ticket. Being limited to 2 quarts of carry on stuff was a pain.
Flights uneventful. Cab to/from NOLA airport is a fixed $33 for 2 people. Cheaper than the shuttle.
Stayed at the Country Inn and Suites on Magazine St. About 12 min from Jackson Sq. $72/nite
Nice bkfst, decent bagles, eggs were OK, make your own waffles, fruit
Bourbon Street has degenerated into an over-amplified, very noisy melange of strip joints and Coney Island bars.
Visited the usual places, plus the Hermann-Grima House (http://www.hgghh.org/) where we learned why New Orleans is "Norlens". The foundry mark on the cistern reads E. E. Parker, N.Orleans, 1831"
The New Orleans Museum of Art was worth a ride out on the Canal St trolley. http://noma.org/
(The trolley is $1.25 ea way – exact change only. $5 for a day pass. $12 for 3 days)
Lunch at the café was very nice. Smoked salmon on country bread, cheese plate (choice of 3 kinds) with chutney, Cajun-spiced pecans, bread, 2 glasses wine - $44.
Lunches at Acme Oyster House - about $30 (http://www.acmeoyster.com/)and K Paul’s Louisian Kitchen - about $40 (http://www.chefpaul.com/kpaul). The oyster Po Boy at the Acme was better than the crab. The crab Po Boy at K Paul’s was very good. The chicken Marchand (boned thigh stuffed with diced breast) at KP’s was excellent. At lunch KP’s makes a pretense of being just a cheap joint – plastic plates, cups and cutlery – otherwise it is pleasant.
Dinners at: Muriel’s (http://www.muriels.com/), very nice; Brennan’s (http://www.brennansneworleans.com/), even nicer (not cheap); Mulate’s (http://www.mulates.com/) – we especially liked watching the folks dancing to the Zydeco band. (I especially liked the Boudin sausage.)
Ate too much, drank too much, enjoyed ourselves greatly.
Ira Visits New Orleans
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 What To See & Do in Rapid City
- 2 trip outside of San Francisco with kids
- 3 What To See and Do in the Grand Rapids Area
- 4 which St. Louis neighborhood to base in, given these destinations?
- 5 Dublin International Customs / Connections
- 6 Setting Up Business with Airbnb?
- 7 Bears and Traps. Our Grand Alaska Sea & Land Tour
- 8 Driving - Philadelphia to San Francisco
- 9 National Park itinerary- Utah, Wyoming
- 10 Seattle to LA (or not).
- 11 adams morgan - safety
- 12 Unique & off the beaten path accomodations for Nature Lovers
- 13 Favorite Casual D.C. Restaurants?
- 14 How much to tip for Free tour on Foot
- 15 Morning in miami
- 16 New England Road Trip- RI, MA, NH, ME
- 17 Yet Another Yellowstone/Glacier/Grand Teton Trip Request For Help
- 18 Grand Marais?
- 19 US Southwest
- 20 Yellowstone in late Sept - early October
- 21 Restaurant Recommendations in Tucson
- 22 Dulles to DC at 2:00 a.m with kids - Taxi or Rental Car.
- 23 Hawaii: Is it warm right now? How about the water?
- 24 Do foreign visitors need special car insurance?
- 25 Seattle Visit April