Flew in/out on AirTran from ATL. About $200/ticket. Being limited to 2 quarts of carry on stuff was a pain.
Flights uneventful. Cab to/from NOLA airport is a fixed $33 for 2 people. Cheaper than the shuttle.
Stayed at the Country Inn and Suites on Magazine St. About 12 min from Jackson Sq. $72/nite
Nice bkfst, decent bagles, eggs were OK, make your own waffles, fruit
Bourbon Street has degenerated into an over-amplified, very noisy melange of strip joints and Coney Island bars.
Visited the usual places, plus the Hermann-Grima House (http://www.hgghh.org/) where we learned why New Orleans is "Norlens". The foundry mark on the cistern reads E. E. Parker, N.Orleans, 1831"
The New Orleans Museum of Art was worth a ride out on the Canal St trolley. http://noma.org/
(The trolley is $1.25 ea way – exact change only. $5 for a day pass. $12 for 3 days)
Lunch at the café was very nice. Smoked salmon on country bread, cheese plate (choice of 3 kinds) with chutney, Cajun-spiced pecans, bread, 2 glasses wine - $44.
Lunches at Acme Oyster House - about $30 (http://www.acmeoyster.com/)and K Paul’s Louisian Kitchen - about $40 (http://www.chefpaul.com/kpaul). The oyster Po Boy at the Acme was better than the crab. The crab Po Boy at K Paul’s was very good. The chicken Marchand (boned thigh stuffed with diced breast) at KP’s was excellent. At lunch KP’s makes a pretense of being just a cheap joint – plastic plates, cups and cutlery – otherwise it is pleasant.
Dinners at: Muriel’s (http://www.muriels.com/), very nice; Brennan’s (http://www.brennansneworleans.com/), even nicer (not cheap); Mulate’s (http://www.mulates.com/) – we especially liked watching the folks dancing to the Zydeco band. (I especially liked the Boudin sausage.)
Ate too much, drank too much, enjoyed ourselves greatly.
Ira Visits New Orleans
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Car Rental West Palm Beach
- 2 Group of 10 adults to Hawaii
- 3 Austin Food Trucks
- 4 Louisiana Hotel Questions
- 5 Business in San diego and then a weeks vacation?
- 6 Weekend road trip from Omaha
- 7 Photos from Texas Christmas Road Trip
- 8 searching for urban master planned community
- 9 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 10 Condos near Disney World
- 11 Prince Philip Cruise (Whittier) vs Kenai Fjords (Seward)
- 12 family celebration trip
- 13 New England September
- 14 San Francisco-renting a car for a day
- 15 Deep South sept 2015
- 16 San Francisco hotel in Fisherman's Wharf or Union Square
- 17 Hawaii Group Travel
- 18 New York To Ashville NC
- 19 January Jaunt to the Southernmost City ~ Long with Pics!
- 20 First Trip to California with Family of 6
- 21 Fmpden, are you there?
- 22 Planning Christmas in NYC-is it nuts?
- 23 Southern NJ and Bucks County PA - how's it look?
- 24 Train from Memphis to New Orleans
- 25 Charleston Islands