Flew in/out on AirTran from ATL. About $200/ticket. Being limited to 2 quarts of carry on stuff was a pain.
Flights uneventful. Cab to/from NOLA airport is a fixed $33 for 2 people. Cheaper than the shuttle.
Stayed at the Country Inn and Suites on Magazine St. About 12 min from Jackson Sq. $72/nite
Nice bkfst, decent bagles, eggs were OK, make your own waffles, fruit
Bourbon Street has degenerated into an over-amplified, very noisy melange of strip joints and Coney Island bars.
Visited the usual places, plus the Hermann-Grima House (http://www.hgghh.org/) where we learned why New Orleans is "Norlens". The foundry mark on the cistern reads E. E. Parker, N.Orleans, 1831"
The New Orleans Museum of Art was worth a ride out on the Canal St trolley. http://noma.org/
(The trolley is $1.25 ea way – exact change only. $5 for a day pass. $12 for 3 days)
Lunch at the café was very nice. Smoked salmon on country bread, cheese plate (choice of 3 kinds) with chutney, Cajun-spiced pecans, bread, 2 glasses wine - $44.
Lunches at Acme Oyster House - about $30 (http://www.acmeoyster.com/)and K Paul’s Louisian Kitchen - about $40 (http://www.chefpaul.com/kpaul). The oyster Po Boy at the Acme was better than the crab. The crab Po Boy at K Paul’s was very good. The chicken Marchand (boned thigh stuffed with diced breast) at KP’s was excellent. At lunch KP’s makes a pretense of being just a cheap joint – plastic plates, cups and cutlery – otherwise it is pleasant.
Dinners at: Muriel’s (http://www.muriels.com/), very nice; Brennan’s (http://www.brennansneworleans.com/), even nicer (not cheap); Mulate’s (http://www.mulates.com/) – we especially liked watching the folks dancing to the Zydeco band. (I especially liked the Boudin sausage.)
Ate too much, drank too much, enjoyed ourselves greatly.
Ira Visits New Orleans
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Knock Off Shopping in NYC
- 2 Hotel: Union Sq. or Fisherman's Wharf?
- 3 Kauai - rainy forecast every day of our trip!
- 4 Albuquerque to Las Vegas
- 5 Transportation from MCO to Port Canaveral
- 6 Sedona & Grand Canyon - 1 week trip from Phoenix
- 7 10 day trip
- 8 Favorite Casual D.C. Restaurants?
- 9 San Diego: Point Loma>Ocean Beach
- 10 Utah restaurants
- 11 Great Smoky Mountains - family driving trip
- 12 Another Trip to DC for baseball!
- 13 Another Perfect Visit to Paradise: Kauai
- 14 looking for beautiful gardens suggestions in early April
- 15 Ride Share DEN to CB 3/18
- 16 Venice tourist travel pass
- 17 Crossville, TN in March
- 18 SXSW an issue?: 4 Days In Austin 8-11
- 19 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 20 Resort at the Mountain - It's Running a Rate Special
- 21 Why you shouldn't hang your purse over the back of your chair in Boston
- 22 Final dinner in NYC recommendations
- 23 need help planning a trip to Grand Hotel/Mackinac Island, MI
- 24 Short Road Trip California Arizona – Less than a week
- 25 Trip Report to Pacific Northwest: August 2014