Flew in/out on AirTran from ATL. About $200/ticket. Being limited to 2 quarts of carry on stuff was a pain.
Flights uneventful. Cab to/from NOLA airport is a fixed $33 for 2 people. Cheaper than the shuttle.
Stayed at the Country Inn and Suites on Magazine St. About 12 min from Jackson Sq. $72/nite
Nice bkfst, decent bagles, eggs were OK, make your own waffles, fruit
Bourbon Street has degenerated into an over-amplified, very noisy melange of strip joints and Coney Island bars.
Visited the usual places, plus the Hermann-Grima House (http://www.hgghh.org/) where we learned why New Orleans is "Norlens". The foundry mark on the cistern reads E. E. Parker, N.Orleans, 1831"
The New Orleans Museum of Art was worth a ride out on the Canal St trolley. http://noma.org/
(The trolley is $1.25 ea way – exact change only. $5 for a day pass. $12 for 3 days)
Lunch at the café was very nice. Smoked salmon on country bread, cheese plate (choice of 3 kinds) with chutney, Cajun-spiced pecans, bread, 2 glasses wine - $44.
Lunches at Acme Oyster House - about $30 (http://www.acmeoyster.com/)and K Paul’s Louisian Kitchen - about $40 (http://www.chefpaul.com/kpaul). The oyster Po Boy at the Acme was better than the crab. The crab Po Boy at K Paul’s was very good. The chicken Marchand (boned thigh stuffed with diced breast) at KP’s was excellent. At lunch KP’s makes a pretense of being just a cheap joint – plastic plates, cups and cutlery – otherwise it is pleasant.
Dinners at: Muriel’s (http://www.muriels.com/), very nice; Brennan’s (http://www.brennansneworleans.com/), even nicer (not cheap); Mulate’s (http://www.mulates.com/) – we especially liked watching the folks dancing to the Zydeco band. (I especially liked the Boudin sausage.)
Ate too much, drank too much, enjoyed ourselves greatly.
Ira Visits New Orleans
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 rental car - Highway 1 Roadtrip
- 2 Philadelphia ?
- 3 Tour of the Wester US
- 4 Road trip from Oakville to Vermont, Maine, Boston - too much in 7 days?
- 5 Petoskey Fall Break?
- 6 Turning right with red traffic light ?
- 7 S. Utah 10 day Circle-Itinery-Ist pass
- 8 Driving from Philly to Stowe, VT. Need a scenic route!
- 9 Predictions for peak leaf color in September?
- 10 Hawaii Trip - Maui, Kauai and Honolulu in 9 days
- 11 Kauai - Napali Coast - Air vs Water
- 12 Yosemite First timers in August survival Guide
- 13 Dinner-Portland, OR-Favorites?
- 14 Trip Report - 4 Days in Olympic National Park
- 15 3 days in Lake Travis area near Austin Texas
- 16 Long Weekend In Austin, Texas
- 17 Driving from coastal Maine to St. Gaudens Historical Site, Cornish NH
- 18 Great Girls' Weekend in NYC!
- 19 Connecticut trip 3rd week of September
- 20 Hawaii
- 21 Chicago Girls Weekend
- 22 Newport, RI - What's it like?
- 23 LV-Zion-Bryce-GC trip: itenerary help
- 24 Convenient Accommodation suggestions
- 25 Recommendations for Moderately Priced Dining in Moab?