Flew in/out on AirTran from ATL. About $200/ticket. Being limited to 2 quarts of carry on stuff was a pain.
Flights uneventful. Cab to/from NOLA airport is a fixed $33 for 2 people. Cheaper than the shuttle.
Stayed at the Country Inn and Suites on Magazine St. About 12 min from Jackson Sq. $72/nite
Nice bkfst, decent bagles, eggs were OK, make your own waffles, fruit
Bourbon Street has degenerated into an over-amplified, very noisy melange of strip joints and Coney Island bars.
Visited the usual places, plus the Hermann-Grima House (http://www.hgghh.org/) where we learned why New Orleans is "Norlens". The foundry mark on the cistern reads E. E. Parker, N.Orleans, 1831"
The New Orleans Museum of Art was worth a ride out on the Canal St trolley. http://noma.org/
(The trolley is $1.25 ea way – exact change only. $5 for a day pass. $12 for 3 days)
Lunch at the café was very nice. Smoked salmon on country bread, cheese plate (choice of 3 kinds) with chutney, Cajun-spiced pecans, bread, 2 glasses wine - $44.
Lunches at Acme Oyster House - about $30 (http://www.acmeoyster.com/)and K Paul’s Louisian Kitchen - about $40 (http://www.chefpaul.com/kpaul). The oyster Po Boy at the Acme was better than the crab. The crab Po Boy at K Paul’s was very good. The chicken Marchand (boned thigh stuffed with diced breast) at KP’s was excellent. At lunch KP’s makes a pretense of being just a cheap joint – plastic plates, cups and cutlery – otherwise it is pleasant.
Dinners at: Muriel’s (http://www.muriels.com/), very nice; Brennan’s (http://www.brennansneworleans.com/), even nicer (not cheap); Mulate’s (http://www.mulates.com/) – we especially liked watching the folks dancing to the Zydeco band. (I especially liked the Boudin sausage.)
Ate too much, drank too much, enjoyed ourselves greatly.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Itinerary advice first time to USA SF-YNP-LV-LA-SF
- 2 Planning first trip to New Orleans - advice?
- 3 Study in America
- 4 Seattle, WA to Redondo Beach, CA December
- 5 Philadelphia to Boston
- 6 Traveling alone to Las Vegas
- 7 Lake Winnipesauke, NH
- 8 Six Flags and Lake George, NY
- 9 Does the "Real USA" (still) exist?
- 10 Mokulele Airlines Hawaii
- 11 9 days from Acadia to Providence RI
- 12 SUV v. Minivan for national park summer driving or does it not matter?
- 13 Where to stay in Hill Country in Texas
- 14 Restaurants in Sanibel/Captiva
- 15 Yosemite Visit
- 16 Staying at Belvedere in Sept--how early to make reservations?
- 17 New York City Christmas 2015
- 18 Where to stay in South Carolina?
- 19 Seattle to Portland- ideas for places to stay?
- 20 Kayaking at Old Forge, NY
- 21 New York overnight - dinner & after choices
- 22 Advice on tipping
- 23 Driving from New York to Atlanta,Ga
- 24 A Week in New York City
- 25 Help finalize my Colorado activities & lodging