It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day
- 1 Air Bnb Declared Illegal in NYC
- 2 Boston and surrounding area
- 3 New Orleans - Alligator Cheesecake???
- 4 Pick up north of Boston Logan
- 5 Yellowstone Hiking Suggestions for a 7 1/2 Year Old
- 6 Savannah restaurants
- 7 New York City Itinerary and Restaurant Help
- 8 1st time in Boston --need advice
- 9 Transportation from Jackson to Jackson Hole airport
- 10 Albuquerque to Denver
- 11 Santa Fe at the end of May?
- 12 Santa Fe Home Exchange - Three Wks, from start to finish
- 13 Oregon Cave NM or extra day in Redwoods area?
- 14 Middlebury vt quickie
- 15 Honeymoon to Kauai and Maui from the East Coast
- 16 Help with July 4th Marriott Houston trip
- 17 American Airlines reservation question
- 18 Hawaii- Can't decide which islands to include
- 19 Car trip from Seattle
- 20 Alaska Camping/Backpacking
- 21 Newport, RI Questions
- 22 Arizona - Sedona, Grand Canyon, MV and Canyon DeChelley
- 23 Omni Hotel, San Francisco - Did I make a good choice
- 24 2 Brits Travelling USA July-Aug 2013
- 25 Best place to raise a family in Florida