It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 The city never sleeps, but we needed to
- 2 Steamboat in August
- 3 60th birthday trip to Vermont, NH, Maine in October
- 4 Depot Bay OR
- 5 South beach Miami to Key west driving map
- 6 Tour guide in Bend, OR, for Lava Caves?
- 7 Nat Park Trip in Utah - Too Much??
- 8 Sim Card and Carrier Plan for Data in US and Canada for tourist
- 9 Newport Historic District - where is it? Walking tour?
- 10 Transportation from downtown Miami to Ft. Lauderdale airport
- 11 Road trip from Boston to Florida
- 12 Drive from San Fran to Portland or Seattle in winter
- 13 Movies to put you in the mood for a western road trip
- 14 Island of Oahu: looking for cheap accommodation
- 15 Gotta Go To Stanford U Medical Center
- 16 California Summer weather/ clothing
- 17 1st trip to DC - for 2 nights
- 18 Las vegas +21
- 19 Phone SIM
- 20 How to search for condo rental in Oahu
- 21 Discount Broadway Show Tickets webistes
- 22 A June trip to Kauai
- 23 Samsonite Silhouette 7 repair part
- 24 Napa Valley Hotel
- 25 Do you have suggestions on my first roadtrip South-West USA?
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day