It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Moving out of states from Florida
- 2 Pet-Friendly near I-95 N. Florida/S. Georgia for yappy dogs?
- 3 Lake Tahoe - May Vacation Advice
- 4 Utah: Zion for sure, Arches or Bryce?
- 5 Navajo Trail in Bryce Canyon -- what to do when Wall Street closed??
- 6 Atlanta to LA
- 7 Pacific Coast Highway from Los Angeles to San Francisco
- 8 Driving from RI to NB, Best Place to Overnight in Maine?
- 9 new york subway help please
- 10 Colorado Springs to Durango 9 days
- 11 4 Days in Kauai what to see and do
- 12 Washington DC to Texas via Jacksonville, FL
- 13 Things to do in La Jolla
- 14 final plans utah/arizona trip
- 15 Need tips for the best of downtown Chicago in 6 days
- 16 Feedback needed for our book club trip to New England
- 17 Connecticut Highway 1. Should we do it?
- 18 Traveling from Seattle to Parksville BC.
- 19 Best spot to see a sunrise in Boston
- 20 Casual dinner in the theater district
- 21 Restaurant recomendations in the east 54th Street area, please.
- 22 Traveling to Virginia Beach to Orlando
- 23 Things to do in Key West
- 24 First time to Hawaii (Maui)
- 25 Boston & Cape Cod