It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 What a great weekend in Cooperstown (July 24-27)
- 2 moving to florida
- 3 Convenient Accommodation suggestions
- 4 Seattle, Portland, and day trips all around
- 5 Seatle in September 19-22, Where to stay? Avg prices?
- 6 3 days, 4 nights in Denver
- 7 Mt Ranier parking questions
- 8 Another Californian Odyssey (June/July 2014)
- 9 Ogunquit Family Get Together
- 10 Boston/Salem with kids
- 11 Connecticut River Byway
- 12 Road Trip SW
- 13 Ideas for 1st time trip to LA/Santa Monica/Hollywood with 16 yr old
- 14 Honeymoon/road trip/adventure/help!
- 15 San Diego farmer's markets
- 16 Carlsbad/San Diego Ideas
- 17 Atascadero -> Pacific Grove -> San Francisco
- 18 San Fran to Las Vegas drive
- 19 A few SF recommendations/itinerary review
- 20 Is Lanai worth a day trip from Maui?
- 21 car rental from denver airport and shuttle question
- 22 The Seedy Side of Key West
- 23 Vacation trip to Portland, OR,
- 24 Vacation with 1 year old - ideas?
- 25 drive from SF to crater lake