It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Washington DC Trip in December with Small Children
- 2 Thoughts on our Palm Springs Plans
- 3 DC restaurant report
- 4 Arizona in winter
- 5 SF-Yosemite-Monterey Peninsula
- 6 Polynesian Cultural Centre
- 7 My parents planned a vacation for me without asking.
- 8 The famous SF -> Seattle road trip
- 9 SF with school-age kids -- too much to choose!
- 10 2016/17 Ski Season Opens
- 11 NYC bus tour suggestions
- 12 Arizona in late January
- 13 A Few Days in Asheville
- 14 University of Florida, Gainesville Breakfast Spot
- 15 Going to Oahu December 1-8
- 16 trip repor 5th-8th October
- 17 Key West
- 18 Glacier and Grand Tetons: June or July
- 19 Savannah and Charleston over New Years.
- 20 moving to Florida
- 21 Neue Galerie
- 22 HELP! Solo road trip - the Deep south - Hints & Tips needed!
- 23 Going from Savanah to thru Smokey Mountains and to the Blue Ridge
- 24 Smoky Mountains Honeymoon
- 25 national park during thanksgiving
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day