It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 San Francisco through Colorado Rockies
- 2 trip to Charlettesville VA
- 3 Suggestion on agenda for SF to Seattle
- 4 Rocky Mountaineer added to Cruise
- 5 Recommendation: Beachfront in VA or MD walking distance to quaint downtown
- 6 Last minute trip to Boston w/ kids and car
- 7 New Software
- 8 How many days for Martha's Vineyard? And Cape Cod in general
- 9 Yellowstone and Tetons in July 2016
- 10 Attending a wedding on Nantucket !
- 11 3 week road trip South Carolina and Georgia
- 12 Road trip: Boston to Salt Lake City
- 13 Los Angeles Indefinitely
- 14 Rough (very) initial USA itinerary
- 15 Helpp JKF to lyndhurst NJ
- 16 Want to relocate out of Houston and maybe Texas. To NC or TN
- 17 Trip Report 2012 : 11 wonderful days in Alaska
- 18 Visiting Oregon - Portland to Crater Lake
- 19 Thinking of moving FROM Pittsburgh TO Seattle
- 20 Aussie family heading to the US for the first time
- 21 Lake Tahoe hotel with a lake view
- 22 September trip Portland/Seattle
- 23 Help Planning Zion/Bryce Itinerary
- 24 Boston waterfront Italian
- 25 Last minute Maine/New Hampshire trip
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day