It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Ft. Myers Beach Hotels
- 2 Stopover between Las Vegas and Yosemite
- 3 Hana from the aiport
- 4 Driving Seattle to Lethbridge
- 5 from Moab to Bryce
- 6 Smoky Mountains via Blue Ridge Parkway
- 7 16 Days in Utah and Colorado with Our 2 Young Boys!
- 8 Friendship, fiddling, and freezing in Boston
- 9 Need a recommendation for lodging on Kauai (North or South side of Island)
- 10 Hotel: Union Sq. or Fisherman's Wharf?
- 11 Alaska cruise on Celebrity Solstice
- 12 Las Vegas in March
- 13 Kauai Garden tours
- 14 Disappointed with Budget Car Rental Las Vegas
- 15 Road Trip From Miami to New York, Ideas please!
- 16 ski trip: utah or colorado
- 17 Kauai our way! A Feb 2015 Trip Report
- 18 Vail, Aspen, or Park City?
- 19 Suggested route for National Park's drive, starting in Glacier NP.........
- 20 Hana hotels in August
- 21 Student-budget trip to NewYorkCity HELP please
- 22 September Long Weekend in SW Colorado
- 23 Dessert with a view in Monterey?
- 24 Berkshires
- 25 Spring Break in Charleston