It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Help with Northwest Trip
- 2 VERIZON@1+800:982:8520 Password ReSet CONTACT Technical SUPP0RT CaRe
- 3 Orlando area weather in June
- 4 Andaman and Nicobar Islands of South India
- 5 1st trip to Maine Need feedback and advice
- 6 Boston Food Tour
- 7 In Reverse Gear in Chicago
- 8 Help - Drive from Olympia, WA to SLC, UT
- 9 "Fitness" vacations
- 10 Help plan my trip please
- 11 SF-Yosemite-Monterey-SF
- 12 One day for Mt. Rainier
- 13 1st road trip Cincinnati to Beauford, SC
- 14 Brief Savannah Trip--Brief Savannah Trip Report
- 15 Weekend at the Straits of Mackinac
- 16 Oahu condo-Ilikai
- 17 Transit Advisory - NY Penn Station - Amtrak track work Ju;y 10 thru
- 18 San Francisco Hotel With Car
- 19 Miami or New Orleans for 3 days in mid December
- 20 Recommend an ATV Tour in UT, AZ or CO
- 21 3 month cheap rent in New York City
- 22 Hilton Waikoloa Village - Yay or Nay?
- 23 Fort Smith to Memphis roadtrip.. need advice!
- 24 Ready for Oregon -- tell me about Eugene: hikes and lunch?
- 25 Sept trip: San Diego, Disneyland and...?
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day