It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 What's new on Maui?
- 2 Oregon Road Trip
- 3 Another California/Utah/Arizona Road Trip...Itinerary Comments?
- 4 Palm Desert California recommendations for dining
- 5 Colorado aspen updates
- 6 Is Canada as expensive as Europe if I don't turn my iPhone off?
- 7 Baltimore Inner Harbor to DC - without a car; with luggage - suggestions?
- 8 Hwy 12 Bryce Canyon to Arches/ Moab in 1 Day w/ Kids help?
- 9 I am planning a trip looking for must see tips
- 10 First trip to Seattle, WA - what should my "musts" be?
- 11 Christmas in TX
- 12 Arizona / Utah Itinerary
- 13 Hotel recommendations for Western Oregon
- 14 Kauai and Molokai or Kauai and Maui for 10 days?
- 15 First trip to Portland, OR - looking for recommendations
- 16 Long Weekend In Austin, Texas
- 17 XMAS STORES IN CENTRAL FL??
- 18 Tucson area flooding
- 19 Refining my California Itinerary
- 20 Edison Hotel or Holiday Inn Express manhattan midtown w
- 21 Getaway
- 22 Fall week in Massachusetts
- 23 Moving to New Jersey
- 24 Fairbanks, denali, kenai peninsula
- 25 Las Vegas to San Francisco in October - best route