It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Is Hwy 59/389 an alternate for hwy 9
- 2 A few questions about going to Yellowstone
- 3 A Love Letter to NYC (in Photos)
- 4 What's a good one-day tour from LasVegas to Bryce Canyon?
- 5 Central Coast-California
- 6 Sightsee in Atlanta During Layover?
- 7 Alaska restaurant prices
- 8 Shenandoah National Park
- 9 Fairmont or Paia Inn
- 10 Dallas - Fort Worth Airport Hotels
- 11 Carlsbad Cavern area - New Mexico ... Lodging
- 12 Xmas in Key West: Come on Vacation, Leave on Probation
- 13 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 14 Cape Cod Beaches requiring foot sanitation.
- 15 More Wine les Whine in Napa
- 16 Please help with four days in Boston-Cambridge-Salem
- 17 SC/GA/FL Coastal City Questions & Insect Issues
- 18 Whcih is the best fashion store chain
- 19 San Francisco food suggestions?
- 20 Itinerary Help - options.
- 21 Day trip out of NYC - without car
- 22 Another Key West trip in the books!
- 23 Daytona Beach and ??
- 24 What is the best place to spend in summers in Texas?
- 25 Mukilteo to Whidbey Is. via Deception Pass & a ferry return??