It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Another Quick NYC Trip - Food Ideas?
- 2 Boston travel to North Carolina
- 3 Traveling to NYC - staying over Thanksgiving
- 4 AC Hotels cheap by clean
- 5 Vegas/California May 2016
- 6 Condos in Kauai and Big Island
- 7 Overwhelmed by Alaskan shore excursion choices
- 8 San Diego Clothing Help (woman)
- 9 Eugene, OR/Redwoods/San Francisco
- 10 The Southern Coast of Maine 3 nights
- 11 After FL and CA, where else in the US with a 7-year-old?
- 12 CA AZ UT NV Road Trip
- 13 Martha's Vineyard_Day Trip
- 14 DC/MD/VA GTG in the Fall, Lunch on Oct. 3
- 15 Washington Monument Reservtions and timing ~ plus Paddleboats
- 16 To Schenectady to Trains to Spanish Immersion Course in Mexico
- 17 Staying at Belvedere in Sept--how early to make reservations?
- 18 Hilton Hawaiian Village Resort
- 19 My Maine Trip Report
- 20 Berkshires with a toddler
- 21 hilicopter tour oahu
- 22 a lovely week in Grand Lake
- 23 Glacier National Park, should we cancel our plans?
- 24 Afternoon in Philadelphia
- 25 Road trip from and back to New York
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day