It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Washington DC in mid May. Questions!
- 2 Where would you live for a year if housing was paid for?
- 3 Honeymoon out west.
- 4 Visit to St. Simons Island, Georgia
- 5 Hotel Valencia, San Antonio RiverWalk
- 6 Chicago to Charleston
- 7 How many states have you been to?
- 8 Quick Trip to D.C. In April
- 9 New Orleans to Memphis and back
- 10 Hiking the Narrows, Zion National Park
- 11 USA, Trip to the south
- 12 Comment Needed: 22 Days - West Cost (California & LV)
- 13 Alaska Trip Planning Please Help
- 14 Amtrack: Denver to California?
- 15 Rental car or RV for road trip from San Francisco via Las Vegas to Denver
- 16 SF special dinner for 70 birthday
- 17 Retiring to Tucson
- 18 Trip Report: Charleston, Vero Beach, Beaufort
- 19 Bar Harbor to Boston
- 20 SD card usage in multiple devices and formatting
- 21 Travel options between Las Vegas and Grand Canyon South Rim
- 22 Where to watch Oscars in Palm Springs
- 23 Big Sure in June
- 24 My quickie roadtrip to Philly - art, photos, food, and some good karma.
- 25 Santa Fe Itineray
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day