It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 San Diego Lodging help needed
- 2 Road trip from Oakville to Vermont, Maine, Boston - too much in 7 days?
- 3 Bears and Traps. Our Grand Alaska Sea & Land Tour
- 4 San Diego beaches using public transportation
- 5 10 days in Big Island and Kauai
- 6 Atlanta to Denver Straight through
- 7 San Francisco - mid October
- 8 Where to go? Family looking for the perfect vacation spot.
- 9 Road Trip! Philadelphia to Montreal and Quebec
- 10 Vegas hotels for families
- 11 Lunch at the Lakeside (Boathouse) restaurant in Central Park
- 12 Kauai - a few miscellaneous questions
- 13 Where to go to hear good Hawaiian Music in Kauai?
- 14 San Diego with Kids
- 15 NYC Neighbourhoods
- 16 Morgan Library. Been there? Places to eat nearby?
- 17 Route from Port Angeles to Seattle.
- 18 Transportation help in Philly
- 19 Hotel Recommendations in downtown Austin
- 20 Where to stay for Acadia National Park
- 21 Wyndham timeshares--should we or shouldn't
- 22 Temecula< CA
- 23 Car needed in New Orleans?
- 24 Road Trip from San Francisco - Hwy 1 to Carmel area or Yosemite??
- 25 Mt Rainier rainy/cloudy day activities