It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 NC or SC Beach Escape
- 2 New York in May - Dinner at Bouley,
- 3 which St. Louis neighborhood to base in, given these destinations?
- 4 Pacific Coast Highway from Los Angeles to San Francisco
- 5 New York City-New Things?
- 6 Kauai - wow, just WOW!!!
- 7 A Napa Valley Reprise: Mom turns the big 5-0!
- 8 final plans utah/arizona trip
- 9 2 Short Trips to NYC: Broadway, Opera, Tenements, Hotels, Cholesterol
- 10 Lake Tahoe - May Vacation Advice
- 11 SOS....Thunderstorms when we plan to visit NOLA
- 12 4 Days in Kauai what to see and do
- 13 Purchase of Florida Condo
- 14 scenic route from Estes Park to Salt Lake City
- 15 Traveling from Vegas to Grand Canyon and Southern Utah
- 16 Restaurant recomendations in the east 54th Street area, please.
- 17 Connecticut Highway 1. Should we do it?
- 18 Traffic from Wine Country to SFO on weekday
- 19 Recommended Private Shuttle Service From JFK Airport to Long Island City
- 20 Kid School Admission
- 21 NYC hotel/July
- 22 Boston to see Sargent works
- 23 Southern Alabama trip report
- 24 16 Days in Utah and Colorado with Our 2 Young Boys!
- 25 Oom-pa-pa at the Y (our “camping” report) April 2015 St. Louis MO