It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Trip from Anchorage to Homer, AK
- 2 Where to Stay in San Francisco for one night
- 3 New York: "It's SOOOOOOOO Touristy"
- 4 Vegetarian options in New Orleans
- 5 Trip to Colorado in one week, RMNP
- 6 NYC- LaGuardia to Rye
- 7 Mid 20's Honeymoon
- 8 Boston, Maine, Nantucket/MV, RI,
- 9 NYC with wheelchair
- 10 Lodging in Bryce or outside ?
- 11 Contemplating moving from Chicago to Nashville
- 12 Returned from Sedona
- 13 Fun activities in Lubbock with 7 year old?
- 14 Carlsbad Caverns
- 15 Itinerary help for 3-night stay in DC?
- 16 Vegas-GC-Page-Bryce-Zion-Vegas
- 17 Live in FL need a road trip suggestion
- 18 What to do with teenagers in Napa and Mendocino
- 19 Frustrated with VRBO owners
- 20 Biloxi Suggestions
- 21 Pacific beach to la jolla cove and shores
- 22 Avalon/ Catalina Questions
- 23 Driving from Seattle to San Deigo
- 24 Oregon Itinerary Critique, please.
- 25 Realistic expectations in Yellowstone in July
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day