It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Native and Natural Interests near the Grand Canyon
- 2 Trip to northern California
- 3 Our House Has no Hot Tub - Where to Soak in Crested Butte
- 4 5 days in Colorado
- 5 Restaurants in Tucson, Phoenix, Scottsdale, Sedona
- 6 Washington DC with kids
- 7 Nashville and Gatlinburg
- 8 Road trip through southern US states - must-see suggestions?
- 9 NYC with 5 kids- SOLO
- 10 Homeless family murdered in Staten Island Motel
- 11 Help! Road Trip from Boulder to Oregon 2/2016
- 12 Bronx Help to visit hospital
- 13 Safety Concerns
- 14 Avoiding tunnels driving from Atlanta to Philadelphia
- 15 Sedona for a Month
- 16 Alaska with Tauck on Princess Ship in June
- 17 Alaska -public transport
- 18 8-Hour Napali Fishing Charter with Kids?
- 19 Boston-Philadelphia: drive, fly, Amtrak?
- 20 New England fall foilage trip planning please
- 21 4 days in wine country. Where should we stay?
- 22 Southwest road trip
- 23 ISO charming NYC hotel for a staycation
- 24 Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor - how to get to the city?
- 25 Should I go ahed with our Disney World trip over Easter
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day