It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Broadway Banter 2014: Starting off with book recommendation
- 2 Where can I best see Orca whales in the wild?
- 3 Is it a good idea to stay near LAX?
- 4 RIP Rizzoli, J&R Music, Pearl Paint
- 5 Buying African Masks in Chicago, New York City or Atlanta
- 6 Maui vacation
- 7 Hotel to stay before Channel Islands
- 8 Brooklyn why?
- 9 2 Days in Portland - Best of?
- 10 What to see/do in Baltimore without a car?
- 11 Favorite Washington, DC restaurants
- 12 Valdez (keystone canyon falls)? Matanuska? and other itinerary help
- 13 Boston to PEI: Where would YOU stop over?
- 14 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 15 Trip to Portland and Oregon Wine Tour
- 16 NYC over Memorial Day Weekend 2014
- 17 WISCONSIN
- 18 Road trip from Nashville to Dallas
- 19 WEst Coast WINTER holiday - 5 weeks driving.
- 20 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 21 Yellowstone Lodging in October
- 22 Roadtrip Across the Country
- 23 Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton itinerary - advice requested please!
- 24 New York City Restaurants
- 25 let's do a new Hawaii countdown