It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 San Diego to Vancouver in 14 Days
- 2 Summer trip
- 3 Jersey shore town recommendation for July 4th weeekend
- 4 Gros Ventre campsite availability mid Sept
- 5 family road trip from SF to Portland to Seattle
- 6 Route Planning for East USA
- 7 Florida keys trip
- 8 Pacific Northwest with daughters
- 9 Washington DC in mid May. Questions!
- 10 Italian Food, Palm Desert
- 11 Where would you live for a year if housing was paid for?
- 12 How many states have you been to?
- 13 Favourite San Francisco hotel / New things to see??
- 14 New Yorkers...I have a subway construction question for you...
- 15 Hiking the Narrows, Zion National Park
- 16 SF special dinner for 70 birthday
- 17 Northwest National Parks Tour
- 18 Guest Ranch - Montana/Wyoming
- 19 Skagway
- 20 Retiring in NM?
- 21 Chicago to Charleston
- 22 Alaska in First Week of Sept
- 23 Amtrack: Denver to California?
- 24 Where to stay 3 nights to see Yosemite from Death Valley?
- 25 Moving to Dallas - Where to live?
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day