It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 "American in Paris" on Broadway
- 2 5 Days in San Antonio and Austin Texas
- 3 After Chigago ? side trips- suggestions
- 4 Tipping advice
- 5 New Year's Eve in Philadelphia
- 6 Philadelphia accommodation thoughts
- 7 Rules of the Sidewalk
- 8 Queens, NY - Do not go
- 9 Transportation from Newark airport to Secaucus
- 10 Oregon- Crater Lake and Mount Hood vs Montana- Glacier Bay National Park
- 11 los angeles restaurants
- 12 Charming,not too expensive restaurant recommendations needed
- 13 Avis Car rental Loss Damage Waiver LDW Fraud
- 14 Tuscon to Las Vegas Drive in December
- 15 From NY to Miami with 3 teenage kids
- 16 NW Houston restaurant help
- 17 3 weeks in USA in February -- refined itinerary
- 18 Restaurant in NYC advice
- 19 USA New York City: First-time Visitors
- 20 Solo Female Traveller to New Orleans
- 21 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 22 Dad and daughter trip to Santa Fe
- 23 Wilmington, NC to Raleigh - Anything interesting to see in between?
- 24 charleston during Christmas Week
- 25 Fort Myers Beach vs Naples Beach