It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Petrified national forest, AZ
- 2 Active Vacation
- 3 Cross Country RV Trip
- 4 New York (for women turning 50th) 2015
- 5 Business in San diego and then a weeks vacation?
- 6 Weekend road trip from Omaha
- 7 Park Central Hotel via Priceline uh-oh
- 8 1st time DC-NYC for family of 5 - Need itinerary advice
- 9 Less than a day in Seattle area
- 10 Portland, OR hotel question
- 11 Photos from Texas Christmas Road Trip
- 12 Northern California in February
- 13 Need help with San Juan Islands lodging
- 14 Mother Daughter Trip
- 15 Yosemite in Winter
- 16 Florida or caribbean
- 17 Deep South sept 2015
- 18 Orlando in March
- 19 First Trip to California with Family of 6
- 20 NYC - Taxi Cost JFK to Upper West Side
- 21 Miami Marlins
- 22 Flying New Orleans-Burlington Vt, which airline? Where should I connect?
- 23 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 24 Louisiana Hotel Questions
- 25 Quick SoCal question