It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Hotel: Union Sq. or Fisherman's Wharf?
- 2 California San Diego area lodging
- 3 2 weeks in California++ in April - Need suggestions on itinerary
- 4 Tallest and largest living Saguaros at Saguaro National Park
- 5 Car Rental - NYC help me figure out logistics
- 6 Broadway show suggestions April 22 or 23
- 7 Advice on Roadtrip
- 8 Cabin in Northern Maine
- 9 New Orleans - good side trip in a car?
- 10 Sedona & Grand Canyon - 1 week trip from Phoenix
- 11 North Conway, Jackson or where to stay in October
- 12 Fall trip, best location to stay in Vermont. Need help please.
- 13 Furnace Creek Inn or Ranch
- 14 Favorite Casual D.C. Restaurants?
- 15 Stopover between Las Vegas and Yosemite
- 16 Old Town Alexandria Restaurants?
- 17 Friendship, fiddling, and freezing in Boston
- 18 Montana- what are must see places?
- 19 Kauai our way! A Feb 2015 Trip Report
- 20 Hanging Lake Hike (CO) with Kids?
- 21 from Moab to Bryce
- 22 16 Days in Utah and Colorado with Our 2 Young Boys!
- 23 Chicago to New England Road trip
- 24 Drive from San Francisco to Seattle
- 25 Saison, Chez Panisse, Other Top Restaurants in SF Area