It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 New England itinerary help
- 2 Sheraton Hotel at Bradley Airport. Conn
- 3 Chicago Hotel Recommendations
- 4 Spur of moment trip to CA, best way to spend our time
- 5 First time Disney & Legoland hotel suggestions and any advice please
- 6 South Beach in October
- 7 Casinos near Anaheim, CA?
- 8 Tksgiving trip Anacortes or Whidbey Island?
- 9 Seattle first timers....outdoor trip in October
- 10 Cross-Country trip advice
- 11 Finding Steve Perry
- 12 las vegas anyone
- 13 Mnnpls--what to do, culture and food
- 14 University of Florida Public Campus Parking
- 15 One day coastal New England fall foliage
- 16 San Jose to Napa Valley
- 17 Broadway Banter? Fall 2016 - calling HowardR
- 18 Fall colours first 2 weeks of October Boston area
- 19 Parking Downtown St. Louis
- 20 Zion, Bryce, Monument, Grand Canyon, Death Valley Yosemite Itinerary help!
- 21 Advanced Reservations for USS Arizona Memorial Policy
- 22 Monday Morning Traffic to Laguardia from NW CT
- 23 arizona and utah 14 night circle
- 24 Mendocino County Wineries?
- 25 California Channel Island Santa Cruz Snorkeling
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day