It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Colorado in the summer!
- 2 Kennebunkport and....?
- 3 Need limo service from JFK
- 4 Where to go in Maine?
- 5 Travel West Coast
- 6 My Boston weekend...killing time near MGH
- 7 Alaska- cruise or land? and most scenic areas?
- 8 Cute towns in VIrginia for boutique shopping and restaurants
- 9 recommended cheaper hotels around thanksgiving
- 10 New York City Restaurants
- 11 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 12 Sampling Ethnic Las Vegas trip report
- 13 Hotels in LA ... I know...how long is a piece of string type question...
- 14 traveling Amtrak cross country
- 15 Favorite Washington, DC restaurants
- 16 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 17 Napa Girls Getaway - Need hotel advice
- 18 Seeking advice from year round Tucson residents
- 19 Place for a drink where kids are allowed? An NYC question.
- 20 Grand Staircase Esclante National Monument
- 21 Grand Circle Itinerary Utah
- 22 Dining in D.C.
- 23 Lunch with little girls UWS?
- 24 Charleston, SC Beaches
- 25 9 Day Trip to Yosemite, Oregon and Washington State