It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Road trip Houston to DC- where should we stop?
- 2 Essential Information About Travel Insurance
- 3 Will have five days in Savannah
- 4 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 5 Day Cruise from Whittier or Steward?
- 6 Road Trip SW
- 7 May visit to Denali
- 8 Help me o plan a trip from Calary to US
- 9 Atascadero -> Pacific Grove -> San Francisco
- 10 Vegas - Grand Canyon - Tucson
- 11 moving to florida
- 12 Chicago trip
- 13 culpepper
- 14 Los Angeles itinerary for August trip
- 15 Day trip to CT from NYC
- 16 3 days, 4 nights in Denver
- 17 Boston to Chicago drive (things to do)
- 18 Driving the BRP.....Virginia or North Carolina?
- 19 Santa Barbara, California
- 20 Chicago coffee shop/breakfast
- 21 Itinerary opinions
- 22 San Francisco - Stu Dudley's Recommendations
- 23 Yosemite Fire -Contingency Plan
- 24 Keystone, CO & area - inside activities?
- 25 Charlotte restaurant help