It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 NYC Suggestions - Six Week Trip…?
- 2 New Orleans and Slidell
- 3 Pacific coast road trip
- 4 Long weekend in D.C. With family
- 5 Santa Barbara/Ojai?
- 6 Southern Cali itinerary help
- 7 Where to stay in Kansas City MO/What to do
- 8 MANN FAMILY FARM- BOLINAS CA: Do You Know This Area?
- 9 Need help planning - Car Road trip SF to Grand Canyon
- 10 Coronado, La Jolla, or Other?
- 11 Berkshires-AARP Central
- 12 Driving San Antonio to Galveston--how to avoid Houston
- 13 Back From Alaska
- 14 Road trip from Albuquerque to Grand Canyon to Phoenix in February or March
- 15 Driving from south Florida to San Diego late September...where to stop?
- 16 Washington and Seattle Itinerary
- 17 Two days out of Seattle
- 18 Help with VT/NH driving trip in October
- 19 MN Family Hits Black Hills and Beyond
- 20 San Francisco - Hawaii Exhibit
- 21 Yellowstone/Grand Teton,feeric but turists and Xanterra need improvement
- 22 Maine
- 23 Driving tips for San Diego, Palm Springs, Ventura
- 24 2nd attempt - Road trip to Utah in Dec 2015
- 25 Restaurants close to King's Station?
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day