It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Antelope Canyon, Best Friends, Bryce, Zion trip report
- 2 2 weeks in FL, Savannah and Charleston
- 3 Pyrotechnic Send-off
- 4 Three or Four Nights in Moab?
- 5 Parking/shuttle near Midway
- 6 Tennessee Alabama Louisiana
- 7 Did Interstates ruin travel in America?
- 8 Florida St George's Island
- 9 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 10 Washington DC in Spring?
- 11 I am "The Prince of Tides"
- 12 Kanab and Page with Kids Trip Report
- 13 What do you do when your VRBO rental is a nightmare in Lake Geneva?
- 14 Relocation: Where Do We Fit In
- 15 Quick advice needed for 1st visit to HNL & Kauai
- 16 Weather in Hawaii in January
- 17 NYC becoming a battleground for Air BnB apartment rentals
- 18 Weekend in NYC
- 19 Looking for good moonstone beach hotels in cambria
- 20 Booking Lodging at the Grand Canyon
- 21 Grand Teton & Yellowstone & ???
- 22 Utah mid Sept Trip Report, Zion, Bryce, Arches- beautiful!
- 23 Breckenridge in October
- 24 East Coast to West Coast travel route
- 25 Family Trip to Moab - Flying into SLC