It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Glacier National Park 10 Days
- 2 Planning a Day Trip from Poughkeepsie (Returning by 6pm)
- 3 Los Angeles day trips
- 4 HELP WITH SONOMA AREA ITINERARY
- 5 Centrally located hotel in Philadelphia
- 6 Knock Off Shopping in NYC
- 7 Rental Services
- 8 Favorite Casual D.C. Restaurants?
- 9 Safety in New Orleans
- 10 Montana- what are must see places?
- 11 Road to Hana
- 12 Wyndham timeshares--should we or shouldn't
- 13 Vegas, Grand Canyon, Utah National Parks trip advice
- 14 Worth visiting NYC just on weekdays?
- 15 Trip Report to Pacific Northwest: August 2014
- 16 Where to eat in & around San Diego
- 17 San Diego: Point Loma>Ocean Beach
- 18 Toddler in California but where to go?
- 19 Hawaii is still Hell
- 20 Chattanooga to Washington DC via Blue Ridge Parkway
- 21 Help planning vacation to Vancouver, Seattle & San Juan Islands
- 22 Student-budget trip to NewYorkCity HELP please
- 23 zion, Bryce,grand canyon
- 24 Orlando parks advice
- 25 Best to do list on Hawaii