It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Cape Cod in early April
- 2 Aussies' USA "White Xmas" 2013/14 Trip Report
- 3 USA with a 3 year old
- 4 And now...The 100 Best Things to Eat in Philadelphia
- 5 united and carry-ons
- 6 Near Plum Island, MA ...what to see and do?
- 7 Old City -- Philadelphia -- Cocktails?
- 8 Visiting Paso Robles wine country
- 9 Backpacking in April
- 10 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 11 replica designer handbags
- 12 Portland Maine Hotels
- 13 San Diego parks and attractions
- 14 Help choosing Chicago hotel
- 15 Chigo O'Hare layover
- 16 Lodging in Mendocino County (Anderson Valley, Booneville, ??)
- 17 Palm Springs-Looking for Great Swimming Pool
- 18 Need Ideas for Quiet Vacation in Upstate New York
- 19 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 20 Any feedback on our roadtrip schedule would be much appreciated!
- 21 Yellowstone & Grand Tetons Wildlife
- 22 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 23 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 24 Durango-Ouray-Telluride- Mesa Verde
- 25 Black Canyon of the Gunnison East Portal Road