It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Cashless Toll roads.
- 2 Family vacation itinerary pointers
- 3 Bed and Breakfasts in California
- 4 Farewell from Ira
- 5 Texas to New York Flight/Hotel Tips
- 6 Suggestions for Thanksgiving weekend on Cape Cod
- 7 Mid September New England trip itinerary
- 8 Zion - Angel's Landing Trail Closed
- 9 Hudson Valley Drive Suggestions
- 10 Summer 2016 with three Children
- 11 Pix from Paradise (the Big Island, Kauai & Maui)
- 12 2 hour radius of Boston 9/7
- 13 Florida Keys with my retriever
- 14 DC/MD/VA GTG in the Fall, Lunch on Oct. 3
- 15 Help with driving East to West
- 16 taking home sand
- 17 Anniversary Weekend in Charleston, South Carolina
- 18 Where to take big family on the beach?
- 19 Long Weekend in KY: Bourbon Trail and Mammoth Cave
- 20 Broken Arrow
- 21 Need a corporate sedan in JFK
- 22 Champaigne, Illinois
- 23 Southern Cali itinerary help
- 24 Coronado, La Jolla, or Other?
- 25 Once again, another great trip to DC (August 23-30)
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day