It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Road trip to the Deep South revisited......itinerary for your perusal
- 2 Charleston, SC help
- 3 Ideas for a family on a roadtrip around Denver and Utah
- 4 Caklifornia & Oregon
- 5 Best First Thing to Do in Manhattan - & Advice re Itinerary!
- 6 Chattanooga to Washington DC via Blue Ridge Parkway
- 7 Bar Harbor Maine or Mystic Connecticut in August.
- 8 San Francisco to LA or LA to San Francisco ?!?
- 9 Help with Moab itinerary for an overacheiver
- 10 Kauai - day trips to North shore and Waimea Canyon/Kokee State Park
- 11 middlebury vt snow
- 12 Oakland CA restaurants near Fox Theater ... maybe even a hotel?
- 13 Need help with San Juan Islands lodging
- 14 Atlantic coast and mountain vacation
- 15 Seattle in July: Warwick or Maxwell hotel
- 16 What is the weather like in Kona in November?
- 17 Rapid City to Yellowstone Route
- 18 Deep South sept 2015
- 19 Self guided White House tour
- 20 Northwest USA
- 21 A Napa Valley Reprise: Mom turns the big 5-0!
- 22 More than one hotel at Disney World?
- 23 New York City- Henri Matisse Cutouts at MOMA
- 24 Portland, OR hotel question
- 25 Santa Fe Area Hiking Early June - 3 full days.