It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Seattle to Portland- ideas for places to stay?
- 2 Looking for suggestions for Washington state weekend getaways
- 3 Miami Transportation Mid-Beach to South Beach
- 4 Our Badlands, Black Hills, Yellowstone Adventure, June 2015
- 5 6 days in Boston - review itinerary & other recs needed
- 6 Philadelphia to Sunset, SC via I81 and others
- 7 Florida Family vacation in California
- 8 Los Angeles 4 nghts/5days
- 9 Hilton Head restaurants
- 10 Santa Cruz downtown to San Jose Airport via public transit
- 11 50th in Hawaii
- 12 Las Vegas
- 13 The Big Island, Kauai, and Maui: A Songdoc Trip Report
- 14 Help finalize my Colorado activities & lodging
- 15 New York overnight - dinner & after choices
- 16 Driving from New York to Atlanta,Ga
- 17 Build a Chicago itinerary?
- 18 Broadway Banter revived, Spring 2015!
- 19 traveling to Nashville
- 20 NYC Vacation Packages - Two Thumbs Up!
- 21 Alaska Trip Report: Anchorage, Denali, Seward, Juneau & Glacier Bay
- 22 Transportation Newark/High Line and Penn Station/Newark
- 23 Driving route: Monument Valley to Moab on hot day
- 24 Cody, Wyoming rodeo
- 25 Best route to Cody?
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day