It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Brooklyn why?
- 2 New York City Restaurants
- 3 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 4 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 5 WISCONSIN
- 6 Antelope Canyon. Tour form Page or just show up there and pick a guide ?
- 7 Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton itinerary - advice requested please!
- 8 Hotel to stay before Channel Islands
- 9 AK-Glacier Bay, Wrangel Elias, Lake Clark, Matanuska glacier, Valdez?
- 10 Roadtrip Across the Country
- 11 Seeking advice from year round Tucson residents
- 12 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 13 Boston to PEI: Where would YOU stop over?
- 14 Trip to Portland and Oregon Wine Tour
- 15 What to see/do in Baltimore without a car?
- 16 Dining in D.C.
- 17 Florida--single woman seeks best beaches for swimming and
- 18 Broadway Banter 2014: Starting off with book recommendation
- 19 Metro from airport to hotel?
- 20 Should we stop for a Saturday night in Baltimore?
- 21 Napa Girls Getaway - Need hotel advice
- 22 Colorado in the summer!
- 23 My Boston weekend...killing time near MGH
- 24 WEst Coast WINTER holiday - 5 weeks driving.
- 25 Cab Cost from McCarren to Venetian Hotel?