It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Great eats Portland, Seattle, Vancouver
- 2 Visiting New York State
- 3 Driving from Denver to San Francisco in July
- 4 Another Outstanding Los Angeles Restaurant: Officine BRERA
- 5 Taking Onery Teens to LA for 4 days....
- 6 2017 Yellowstone or bust
- 7 4th of July in Chicago
- 8 Late winter road trip Deep South
- 9 The District by Hilton Club
- 10 Any Cheaper way to fly into Jackson Hole?
- 11 NYC hotel w/great room view for 30th anniv.
- 12 Colorado Hiking in September
- 13 nashville,tenn
- 14 Florida Coffee Roasters
- 15 Hotel/Itinerary Washington DC, Family of 5
- 16 Yosemite and surrounding for WINTER 2017: DO NEED HELP!
- 17 Yosemite Hike
- 18 July camping Cayo Costa State Park
- 19 Yellowstone/GTNP trip booked! Now need tour advice please.
- 20 Uber Ride from LV to South Rim, Grand Canyon?
- 21 Bucket List
- 22 DC area hotel for end of June...
- 23 Is Fox Rent A Car any good?
- 24 Thanksgiving Road trip California
- 25 Your thoughts on Brooklyn Heights
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day