It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Restaurant Recommendations for Queens/Brooklyn/Williamsburgl
- 2 Ridiculous Pacific Northwest Road Trip
- 3 First Time to Seattle-Portland-Willamette Valley
- 4 time to visit statue
- 5 Luau Worth the Money or Not?
- 6 ground transportation NYC to DC and connecting to MARC
- 7 Is there a train from SAN (airport) to Encinitas?
- 8 Looking to move from North Carolina to Colorado
- 9 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
- 10 Aladin tickets in NYC
- 11 Chester, CN
- 12 Suggestion for Hotel by Ford Museum/Tour
- 13 transportation from Plano TX to Norman OK
- 14 Sunset at Haleakala Summit - Maui, Hawaii
- 15 good restaurant near Nawiliwili port, Kauai
- 16 Ouray to Aspen or Carbondale to Estes
- 17 Northern California Gardens.
- 18 Civilian Visit to Schofield Barracks and Kolekole Pass
- 19 Planning a 12-13 Day Cali Trip SF to SD
- 20 Hawaii wedding
- 21 Charleston Itinerary Feedback Please
- 22 Route 66
- 23 Itinerary help Oregon: 9 nights
- 24 ASAP Help w/San Fran to San Diego 12 day road trip with young kids
- 25 Glacier National Park Helicopter/Plane tours
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day