It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day
- 1 A trip to east coast vs a trip to Hawaii
- 2 Hotels in New Orleans
- 3 New York, New York...my kind of town
- 4 Logan Express
- 5 Reasonably priced seafood/steak restaurant near the strip in Las Vegas?
- 6 One day in NYC
- 7 Cast Party at Birdland Monday nights
- 8 Great Beach's
- 9 Charleston, SC and Wild Dunes
- 10 Updates from Hanalei
- 11 National Parks?
- 12 Going to Dodge City, Kansas
- 13 Death Valley in November
- 14 Columbus food !
- 15 Hotels in NYC 26th-29th August (2013)
- 16 Blue ridge parkway
- 17 Minnesota State Fair
- 18 Another apartment rental scam in NYC
- 19 Chicago Architectural Tours
- 20 Jackson Hole & Yellowstone
- 21 Best ice cream in Charleston
- 22 Fires in Colorado
- 23 Seattle in July
- 24 1st trip to Los Angeles
- 25 10 day Hawaii Vacations