It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Parking fine
- 2 After FL and CA, where else in the US with a 7-year-old?
- 3 My Topic TitlePalm Springs at the Last MInute, Help Please!
- 4 Condos in Kauai and Big Island
- 5 Calling card for land line phones in National Parks in the western states
- 6 Best Affordable Hotel to Stay in Montana - Deborah
- 7 Roadtrip in the South. Help on when to go!
- 8 Pittsburgh Trip
- 9 11 days SE coast road trip
- 10 New Issues with Air BnB in NYC
- 11 AC Hotels cheap by clean
- 12 Ironman Housing in Kailua Kona
- 13 Considering moving to Florida... any opinions?
- 14 Staying at Belvedere in Sept--how early to make reservations?
- 15 http://newslim5forskolinhit.com/pokemon-emerald-cheats/
- 16 Road trip from and back to New York
- 17 The Southern Coast of Maine 3 nights
- 18 Another Quick NYC Trip - Food Ideas?
- 19 San Diego Clothing Help (woman)
- 20 resort hotel in downtown San Diego
- 21 Columbia River Gorge - best scenic route in WA or OR?
- 22 Salt Lake City to Northern California or Oregon trip
- 23 10 days in Arizona
- 24 Berkshires with a toddler
- 25 Glacier National Park, should we cancel our plans?
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day