It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Our Badlands, Black Hills, Yellowstone Adventure, June 2015
- 2 Yellowstone June 2014
- 3 Lake George
- 4 Philadelphia to Sunset, SC via I81 and others
- 5 Hotel/motel recom. for Cape Cod
- 6 Nevada,utah, arizona trip report part one
- 7 Driving from West Glacier to Waterton
- 8 Grand Canyon - South or East entrance?
- 9 Campground and Beach near Mystic, Ct
- 10 North Fork Vineyards/ Greenport Long Island trip planning
- 11 Looking for suggestions for Washington state weekend getaways
- 12 Nantucket for Columbus Weekend
- 13 utah, part 2
- 14 3 day cruise from Boston
- 15 Utah, arizona part three
- 16 2 months in Hawaii!
- 17 Yosemite Visit
- 18 final plans utah/arizona trip
- 19 Need anniversary dinner in Boston
- 20 Seattle Hotels
- 21 Martha's Vineyard with the in-laws
- 22 NYC itinerary 5 days
- 23 My Bucket List Retirement Trip
- 24 Buying alcohol in New York & I.D.
- 25 Rose Parade Novice
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day