It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 louisiana bayou
- 2 Biloxi Suggestions
- 3 5 Things Not to Miss in NYC?
- 4 Las Vegas for a second timer
- 5 Acadia National Park/New England States
- 6 New England Road Trip- RI, MA, NH, ME
- 7 Michigan advice needed
- 8 Seattle to San Francisco 3 weeks
- 9 Digital Camera Recommendation
- 10 Best Colorado City?: hot summers, mild winters
- 11 4 Days in LV
- 12 16 Days Utah National Parks
- 13 Help with parking at Staten Island ferry
- 14 Visiting NYC - stay in Herlem or Jersey City?
- 15 October in Colorado
- 16 Broadway Banter revived, Spring 2015!
- 17 Yosemite Valley showers
- 18 Taos area Spa or Resort Hotels
- 19 Yellowstone in the Winter
- 20 LegoLand Florida
- 21 Boston--Another Art Mission
- 22 Casual dinner in the theater district
- 23 15 Nt Feb Trip (7 in Waikiki). Possible to do South Kauai & Big Island?
- 24 SF Cable Cars
- 25 Brainstorming - city to visit for disabled young man
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day