It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day
- 1 Eataly in Chicago -- Coming Soon!
- 2 The impossible dream: Bypassing I-95 between DC and Richmond
- 3 Traveling the U.S. by car for a long time!
- 4 Ft. Stewart/Savannah
- 5 Long Weekend in KY: Bourbon Trail and Mammoth Cave
- 6 suewoo and any other Charleston, SC experts
- 7 Disney Florida - Which parks to go for 1.5 days?
- 8 San Antonio
- 9 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 10 Hotel near Public Theater
- 11 How much would it cost to have dental implants done in India?
- 12 Hollywood with 17yr old son
- 13 How to safely transport a newborn baby in downtown Chicago without your own car?
- 14 Oahu Information
- 15 Any additions to my general plan for 2 night stay in Jacksonville (no car)?
- 16 Charlotte Area Suggestions
- 17 Wailea Maui Restaurants
- 18 Best Cirque du Soleil show in Vegas 14 and 11 yo boys?
- 19 Savanah Sojourn
- 20 One day in Washington DC
- 21 Which Florida Key to snorkel?
- 22 Special Chrstmas Tree
- 23 Staying at the Omni in downtown austin. Anywhere to park cheaper?
- 24 South Florida luxury hotels with a 5 year old
- 25 Help! Travel plans to USA West Coast