We are a married couple in our early 30s planning a 3 week roadtrip to the South. Right now the idea is to fly NYC-New Orleans and go from there. We'd like to take it easy during the trip, stopping for 2-4 days or longer in various locations and avoiding long drives. We are also hoping to focus on the quieter, off-the-beaten-track places in the south. Tiny villages with a diner that serves the best barbecue in the world (do those exist anyway?), quiet lakeside cabins and forests/mountains where one can spend a day hiking, quaint villages which don't see hordes of tourists.
We're considering ending the trip with a few days of swimming in the Florida Keys. But maybe that's too ambitious in terms of distances.
We are not big fans of crowds, country music, Elvis, or Civil War memorabilia. That said, I guess there are some "must see" Southern places which should be on the list.
I've read through the other threads here and, so far, we are thinking (sort of in order of appearance):
Dauphin Island, AL
Gulf Shores park, AL
Which essential places are we leaving out? What's not really necessary? Any suggestions would be very appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 세븐바카라 ◈➟AＭI284.ＣOＭ ☚◈세븐바카라
- 2 Mid September New England trip itinerary
- 3 Coronado, La Jolla, or Other?
- 4 2 hour radius of Boston 9/7
- 5 Farewell from Ira
- 6 Cashless Toll roads.
- 7 Hudson Valley Drive Suggestions
- 8 taking home sand
- 9 Suggestions for Thanksgiving weekend on Cape Cod
- 10 DC/MD/VA GTG in the Fall, Lunch on Oct. 3
- 11 Bed and Breakfasts in California
- 12 Champaigne, Illinois
- 13 Once again, another great trip to DC (August 23-30)
- 14 Long weekend in New Orleans
- 15 Our explorations of the Hudson Valley & Catskills
- 16 The Manhattan Project - The Maitais Return To The Big Apple
- 17 Help with VT/NH driving trip in October
- 18 Back From Alaska
- 19 2 months road trip out west - need one way renting mini RV
- 20 Driving from Austin to San Francisco
- 21 San Diego July 2016 - an FYI
- 22 Southern Cali itinerary help
- 23 Driving Trip to Idaho
- 24 Finding the right moving company. (Calgary to Seattle!)
- 25 orlando need a car?
Ideas for a Deep South roadtrip (focus on food and nature)