We are a married couple in our early 30s planning a 3 week roadtrip to the South. Right now the idea is to fly NYC-New Orleans and go from there. We'd like to take it easy during the trip, stopping for 2-4 days or longer in various locations and avoiding long drives. We are also hoping to focus on the quieter, off-the-beaten-track places in the south. Tiny villages with a diner that serves the best barbecue in the world (do those exist anyway?), quiet lakeside cabins and forests/mountains where one can spend a day hiking, quaint villages which don't see hordes of tourists.
We're considering ending the trip with a few days of swimming in the Florida Keys. But maybe that's too ambitious in terms of distances.
We are not big fans of crowds, country music, Elvis, or Civil War memorabilia. That said, I guess there are some "must see" Southern places which should be on the list.
I've read through the other threads here and, so far, we are thinking (sort of in order of appearance):
Dauphin Island, AL
Gulf Shores park, AL
Which essential places are we leaving out? What's not really necessary? Any suggestions would be very appreciated!
Ideas for a Deep South roadtrip (focus on food and nature)
- 1 Best Cirque du Soleil show in Vegas 14 and 11 yo boys?
- 2 Warm and don't Drive
- 3 driving route to disneyland, Anaheim
- 4 Trip Report: New Orleans, Nov. 20 - 25, 2013
- 5 Historic District Hotel, St. Augustine, Florida, February
- 6 New Yorkers Live Longer - Health Initiatives Seem to Work
- 7 Any additions to my general plan for 2 night stay in Jacksonville (no car)?
- 8 San Francisco Hotel Help
- 9 Hotel near Public Theater
- 10 suewoo and any other Charleston, SC experts
- 11 Oahu Information
- 12 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 13 One day in Washington DC
- 14 Where to stay for a Baltimore/DC trip
- 15 Hollywood with 17yr old son
- 16 7 weeks Canada and USA. Help with itinerary please.
- 17 Eataly in Chicago -- Coming Soon!
- 18 Disney Florida - Which parks to go for 1.5 days?
- 19 Tucson First Week or Last Week of March
- 20 San Antonio
- 21 hotel near Met NYC
- 22 Key West on NYE
- 23 Which Florida Key to snorkel?
- 24 Ft. Stewart/Savannah
- 25 If you drive through Greensboro during holiday time....