We are a married couple in our early 30s planning a 3 week roadtrip to the South. Right now the idea is to fly NYC-New Orleans and go from there. We'd like to take it easy during the trip, stopping for 2-4 days or longer in various locations and avoiding long drives. We are also hoping to focus on the quieter, off-the-beaten-track places in the south. Tiny villages with a diner that serves the best barbecue in the world (do those exist anyway?), quiet lakeside cabins and forests/mountains where one can spend a day hiking, quaint villages which don't see hordes of tourists.
We're considering ending the trip with a few days of swimming in the Florida Keys. But maybe that's too ambitious in terms of distances.
We are not big fans of crowds, country music, Elvis, or Civil War memorabilia. That said, I guess there are some "must see" Southern places which should be on the list.
I've read through the other threads here and, so far, we are thinking (sort of in order of appearance):
Dauphin Island, AL
Gulf Shores park, AL
Which essential places are we leaving out? What's not really necessary? Any suggestions would be very appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 http://newhealthsupplement.com/muscle-science/
- 2 Santa Fe & Taos for Christmas week: feedback on itinerary?
- 3 Santa Fe & Taos for Christmas week: feedback on itinerary?
- 4 Unforgettable Excursion Company
- 5 Bringin Wine in by car from Mexico
- 6 Bringing alcohol into the US
- 7 Hollywood Area where to stay
- 8 Dallas, Austin, Waco in February
- 9 Grand Canyon / Bryce / Zion in August with Teens
- 10 Seafood restaurant in San Francisco - recommendations
- 11 Hurricane Matthew damage along Florida East Coast?
- 12 Staying outside DC
- 13 Road trip from Madison, WI to Portland, OR in April, 2017
- 14 7 Day Photography Road trip from Vegas to Denver during Christmas
- 15 CAJUN region, plus NEW ORLEANS
- 16 New Years In Asheville with Nature and Beer on the side!
- 17 Ideas for New York
- 18 Suggestions for a Week in Portland
- 19 Going to L.A. dec18-25; Road trip to D.V. and on rt66
- 20 Christmas shopping in Sante Fe
- 21 9 days in Olympic NP and Seattle area
- 22 Road trip
- 23 What's your favorite "after theatre" place to eat in NYC??
- 24 Driving from Providence to Ohio in an '82 Volvo with a cat, but...
- 25 Getting married to a French man
Ideas for a Deep South roadtrip (focus on food and nature)