We are a married couple in our early 30s planning a 3 week roadtrip to the South. Right now the idea is to fly NYC-New Orleans and go from there. We'd like to take it easy during the trip, stopping for 2-4 days or longer in various locations and avoiding long drives. We are also hoping to focus on the quieter, off-the-beaten-track places in the south. Tiny villages with a diner that serves the best barbecue in the world (do those exist anyway?), quiet lakeside cabins and forests/mountains where one can spend a day hiking, quaint villages which don't see hordes of tourists.
We're considering ending the trip with a few days of swimming in the Florida Keys. But maybe that's too ambitious in terms of distances.
We are not big fans of crowds, country music, Elvis, or Civil War memorabilia. That said, I guess there are some "must see" Southern places which should be on the list.
I've read through the other threads here and, so far, we are thinking (sort of in order of appearance):
Dauphin Island, AL
Gulf Shores park, AL
Which essential places are we leaving out? What's not really necessary? Any suggestions would be very appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Broadway Banter revived, Spring 2015!
- 2 SF to Seattle roundtrip with family,help!
- 3 Lodging in Bryce or outside ?
- 4 Planning a Low Country Road Trip
- 5 Moab, Grand Canyon, Denver
- 6 First time visit to California
- 7 Chicago Outskirts Hotel
- 8 Colorado Springs to Durango 9 days
- 9 Southwest US
- 10 Driving to St. Paul Minnesota from New York City
- 11 Event Planner
- 12 Which 2 islands to visit?
- 13 Reno GTG?
- 14 NYC to Florida drive....seeking advice on stops in Va, NC, SC
- 15 Kauai North Shore Condos- Sealodge
- 16 Lake Powell
- 17 Restaurant recomendations in the east 54th Street area, please.
- 18 How to spend 4 days ending in Boston?
- 19 Fly out of LA 10pm, what to do that day?
- 20 A Drive Through the Poconos
- 21 Car Rental in Sedona
- 22 Las Vegas show
- 23 Retirement Bucket List Trip: Santa Fe, Colorado Springs, Denver
- 24 Yellowstone weather in late May
- 25 PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU BOOK WITH Buena Vista Vacation Management
Ideas for a Deep South roadtrip (focus on food and nature)