We are a married couple in our early 30s planning a 3 week roadtrip to the South. Right now the idea is to fly NYC-New Orleans and go from there. We'd like to take it easy during the trip, stopping for 2-4 days or longer in various locations and avoiding long drives. We are also hoping to focus on the quieter, off-the-beaten-track places in the south. Tiny villages with a diner that serves the best barbecue in the world (do those exist anyway?), quiet lakeside cabins and forests/mountains where one can spend a day hiking, quaint villages which don't see hordes of tourists.
We're considering ending the trip with a few days of swimming in the Florida Keys. But maybe that's too ambitious in terms of distances.
We are not big fans of crowds, country music, Elvis, or Civil War memorabilia. That said, I guess there are some "must see" Southern places which should be on the list.
I've read through the other threads here and, so far, we are thinking (sort of in order of appearance):
Dauphin Island, AL
Gulf Shores park, AL
Which essential places are we leaving out? What's not really necessary? Any suggestions would be very appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Driving to Yellowstone,Grand Teton and Glacier from MN
- 2 Oahu November 2015 Trip Report
- 3 First Time to California
- 4 Road Trip from NJ TO SC
- 5 Welltravbrit's Ongoing NYC Jaunt
- 6 San Diego on New Year's Eve
- 7 What should a foreigner know about the US?
- 8 Grieving Widow wants escape from Christmas
- 9 Southern Utah - Need Hotel Reservations Last Week Of April?
- 10 car rentals in San Diego
- 11 California RV baby and child seats
- 12 How many days recommended for Williamsburg stay?
- 13 Is it Appropriate for Grandmother to Sing to Bar Mitzvah Boy?
- 14 Dependable Airport Hotel Shuttlebus
- 15 California & Arizona Itinerary
- 16 Hawaii in August w 6 year old boy
- 17 Denver/Breckenridge/Summit County
- 18 Suggestions for summer vacation near lake with dog
- 19 Angels Landing
- 20 First time visit to California
- 21 San Diego Family Reunion Planning
- 22 NY State Assembly Internship
- 23 East coast & Thanksgiving in Pennsylvania
- 24 Waikoloa restaurants?
- 25 How can the weather report be so wrong?
Ideas for a Deep South roadtrip (focus on food and nature)