We are a married couple in our early 30s planning a 3 week roadtrip to the South. Right now the idea is to fly NYC-New Orleans and go from there. We'd like to take it easy during the trip, stopping for 2-4 days or longer in various locations and avoiding long drives. We are also hoping to focus on the quieter, off-the-beaten-track places in the south. Tiny villages with a diner that serves the best barbecue in the world (do those exist anyway?), quiet lakeside cabins and forests/mountains where one can spend a day hiking, quaint villages which don't see hordes of tourists.
We're considering ending the trip with a few days of swimming in the Florida Keys. But maybe that's too ambitious in terms of distances.
We are not big fans of crowds, country music, Elvis, or Civil War memorabilia. That said, I guess there are some "must see" Southern places which should be on the list.
I've read through the other threads here and, so far, we are thinking (sort of in order of appearance):
Dauphin Island, AL
Gulf Shores park, AL
Which essential places are we leaving out? What's not really necessary? Any suggestions would be very appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 10-14 daycar fr. Monterey, CA to Jackson WY. Help - towns / Nat'l Parks
- 2 Best place to live in the USA for doctors
- 3 Fodor's Travel QA Test_20170123104914
- 4 State capitol buildings -- a two-thirds through ranking
- 5 Uber boston
- 6 What is there to do on MAUI
- 7 Huntington Beach to Yosemite
- 8 Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- 9 Any Sanibel experts?
- 10 New England Road Trip Itinerary
- 11 Hawaii Help
- 12 Summer in Michigan
- 13 Naples/ Fort Myers
- 14 Fodor's Travel QA Test_20170123104909
- 15 Traveling to CO, worried about altitude sickness!
- 16 NYC 30th birhday ideas
- 17 Scenic vistas along the road the big island Hawaii
- 18 Rafting the Colorado
- 19 Glacier National Park
- 20 5 nights stay RMNP
- 21 Best Hilton location/hotel in New York
- 22 New York City - Wasington February 2017
- 23 West Virginia/Virginia during Thanksgiving (8 days)
- 24 Traveling in winter
- 25 a short trip to san francisco
Ideas for a Deep South roadtrip (focus on food and nature)