We are a married couple in our early 30s planning a 3 week roadtrip to the South. Right now the idea is to fly NYC-New Orleans and go from there. We'd like to take it easy during the trip, stopping for 2-4 days or longer in various locations and avoiding long drives. We are also hoping to focus on the quieter, off-the-beaten-track places in the south. Tiny villages with a diner that serves the best barbecue in the world (do those exist anyway?), quiet lakeside cabins and forests/mountains where one can spend a day hiking, quaint villages which don't see hordes of tourists.
We're considering ending the trip with a few days of swimming in the Florida Keys. But maybe that's too ambitious in terms of distances.
We are not big fans of crowds, country music, Elvis, or Civil War memorabilia. That said, I guess there are some "must see" Southern places which should be on the list.
I've read through the other threads here and, so far, we are thinking (sort of in order of appearance):
Dauphin Island, AL
Gulf Shores park, AL
Which essential places are we leaving out? What's not really necessary? Any suggestions would be very appreciated!
Ideas for a Deep South roadtrip (focus on food and nature)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Navajo guide in Canyon de Chelly?
- 2 Where to stay for Acadia National Park
- 3 New York itinerary for 5 or 6 days
- 4 San Diego with Kids
- 5 Getting around the Big Island
- 6 Where to go? Family looking for the perfect vacation spot.
- 7 best of yellowstone
- 8 San Francisco - mid October
- 9 Lake Tahoe to Yosemite: advice needed
- 10 Where to go to hear good Hawaiian Music in Kauai?
- 11 Washington DC and NYC - What to book ahead of time?
- 12 4th thread on East Coast trip.
- 13 New York Yankee Station
- 14 Trip Report: An Intoxicating Birthday Day-Trip in Napa
- 15 Sonoma and Napa Wine Country - How bad is it after the quake?
- 16 NYC Neighbourhoods
- 17 Vegas hotels for families
- 18 Lake Rabun Hotel
- 19 what to do in the St. Louis area Oct.12 thru Oct19
- 20 Another California/Utah/Arizona Road Trip...Itinerary Comments?
- 21 Atlanta to Denver Straight through
- 22 DC, New York, Maine in 11 days with kids?
- 23 Car needed in New Orleans?
- 24 Please advise: Mobile Natchez Nola or Mobile Nola Natchez Nola?
- 25 Bears and Traps. Our Grand Alaska Sea & Land Tour