We are a married couple in our early 30s planning a 3 week roadtrip to the South. Right now the idea is to fly NYC-New Orleans and go from there. We'd like to take it easy during the trip, stopping for 2-4 days or longer in various locations and avoiding long drives. We are also hoping to focus on the quieter, off-the-beaten-track places in the south. Tiny villages with a diner that serves the best barbecue in the world (do those exist anyway?), quiet lakeside cabins and forests/mountains where one can spend a day hiking, quaint villages which don't see hordes of tourists.
We're considering ending the trip with a few days of swimming in the Florida Keys. But maybe that's too ambitious in terms of distances.
We are not big fans of crowds, country music, Elvis, or Civil War memorabilia. That said, I guess there are some "must see" Southern places which should be on the list.
I've read through the other threads here and, so far, we are thinking (sort of in order of appearance):
Dauphin Island, AL
Gulf Shores park, AL
Which essential places are we leaving out? What's not really necessary? Any suggestions would be very appreciated!
Ideas for a Deep South roadtrip (focus on food and nature)
- 1 US West Coast - Car or Camper
- 2 Sightseeing and restaurants in LA
- 3 What is the United Lounge like at LAX?
- 4 Question about Boulder area
- 5 Family holiday to Hawaii - which islands?
- 6 Fort Lauderdale weather in late January
- 7 Savannah or Charleston- If you had to choose.
- 8 Traveling the pacific coast highway and national parks in one week
- 9 Hike down the Grand Canyon in February?
- 10 visiting Arizona area for 18 days from May19th 2014
- 11 Grand Canyon in March?
- 12 a very short trip report of our 10 days on the Big Island
- 13 California Tour Groups?
- 14 Hotel near Public Theater
- 15 a very short, uneventful trip report of our 10 days in south Kona
- 16 First timers in Kauai--would love advice/suggestions
- 17 Warm and don't Drive
- 18 7 weeks Canada and USA. Help with itinerary please.
- 19 Easter Holiday on Kauai with 10 year old daughter
- 20 Ohare Clearing Customs from VIE Sat May 24 @ 1:30pm for 3:10pm flight
- 21 Paul Rabe - A West Chester Question
- 22 PRIDE OF AMERICA
- 23 Viginia Jan 18-21st
- 24 Heard Les Miz is Returning - Production Any Good
- 25 NOLA 10th Anniv. Suggestions?