We are a married couple in our early 30s planning a 3 week roadtrip to the South. Right now the idea is to fly NYC-New Orleans and go from there. We'd like to take it easy during the trip, stopping for 2-4 days or longer in various locations and avoiding long drives. We are also hoping to focus on the quieter, off-the-beaten-track places in the south. Tiny villages with a diner that serves the best barbecue in the world (do those exist anyway?), quiet lakeside cabins and forests/mountains where one can spend a day hiking, quaint villages which don't see hordes of tourists.
We're considering ending the trip with a few days of swimming in the Florida Keys. But maybe that's too ambitious in terms of distances.
We are not big fans of crowds, country music, Elvis, or Civil War memorabilia. That said, I guess there are some "must see" Southern places which should be on the list.
I've read through the other threads here and, so far, we are thinking (sort of in order of appearance):
Dauphin Island, AL
Gulf Shores park, AL
Which essential places are we leaving out? What's not really necessary? Any suggestions would be very appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Quick Muscle Gain @ http://musclebuildingbuy.com/nitrobuild-plus-avis/
- 2 Just How To Create Massive Biceps .
- 3 http://eternitynaturalsgarcinia.com/acai-plus-avis/
- 4 Destination and route guidance needed for Oct trip to New England.
- 5 November redwoods trip
- 6 Derma Vibrance Skin Cream
- 7 20th Anniversary NYC Fringe Festival
- 8 First Trip to New Mexico
- 9 ExoSlim is such a great weight loss option
- 10 Cape Cod Biking & Lodging
- 11 Spring Break trip to National Park
- 12 Layover
- 13 Charleston - how long to stay?
- 14 Florida couples first trip to Maine
- 15 San Diego Sunset or La Jolla
- 16 Phantom of the Opera Row H Seats 101-102 thoughts?
- 17 new orleans french quarter hotels for "the ladies"
- 18 Wedding gifts?
- 19 December Vacation in Florida by Beach
- 20 My Avis/kona rental experience
- 21 Seattle?
- 22 Pacific Northwest Trip - Mother/Daughter
- 23 Parking a Ford Transit Passenger Van NYC
- 24 Luxury Mountain Resort in PA or WV for sightseeing
- 25 driving from Atlanta to Denver
Ideas for a Deep South roadtrip (focus on food and nature)