We are a married couple in our early 30s planning a 3 week roadtrip to the South. Right now the idea is to fly NYC-New Orleans and go from there. We'd like to take it easy during the trip, stopping for 2-4 days or longer in various locations and avoiding long drives. We are also hoping to focus on the quieter, off-the-beaten-track places in the south. Tiny villages with a diner that serves the best barbecue in the world (do those exist anyway?), quiet lakeside cabins and forests/mountains where one can spend a day hiking, quaint villages which don't see hordes of tourists.
We're considering ending the trip with a few days of swimming in the Florida Keys. But maybe that's too ambitious in terms of distances.
We are not big fans of crowds, country music, Elvis, or Civil War memorabilia. That said, I guess there are some "must see" Southern places which should be on the list.
I've read through the other threads here and, so far, we are thinking (sort of in order of appearance):
Dauphin Island, AL
Gulf Shores park, AL
Which essential places are we leaving out? What's not really necessary? Any suggestions would be very appreciated!
Ideas for a Deep South roadtrip (focus on food and nature)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Washington and Oregon Fall vacation 2015
- 2 4 week family trip ideas
- 3 Accommodation New Orleans LA
- 4 Transportation from Seattle to Vancouver BC
- 5 NYC Department Store Windows for Christmas - Ready, Set, Go
- 6 Philadelphia accommodation thoughts
- 7 best places to visit in winter through WV to North Carolina
- 8 san fran sightseeing
- 9 Best way to spend a few hours in Greater Los Angeles?
- 10 San Diego/ Baja / Desert / Vegas/ Mexico
- 11 Yellowstone in the winter?
- 12 A trip to the SW: Not rushed, do it all, perfect time of year.
- 13 Gulf coast - Naples, Sanibel Island, Marco Island or Fort Meyers, which one
- 14 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 15 Side Show is a must-see show on Broadway
- 16 Boston in winter?
- 17 Public transportation in Salem MA
- 18 Did Interstates ruin travel in America?
- 19 American Honeymoon in March
- 20 Midway to Mag. Mile area -- cab or public transport?
- 21 Family Friendly Resort Vacation for Holidays
- 22 Public Transportation to DC and NY from Baltimore Area
- 23 A Week in Naples Florida--Much Ado About Food (and Wine)
- 24 Manhattan Marriott Property December
- 25 Colorado Skiing