We are a married couple in our early 30s planning a 3 week roadtrip to the South. Right now the idea is to fly NYC-New Orleans and go from there. We'd like to take it easy during the trip, stopping for 2-4 days or longer in various locations and avoiding long drives. We are also hoping to focus on the quieter, off-the-beaten-track places in the south. Tiny villages with a diner that serves the best barbecue in the world (do those exist anyway?), quiet lakeside cabins and forests/mountains where one can spend a day hiking, quaint villages which don't see hordes of tourists.
We're considering ending the trip with a few days of swimming in the Florida Keys. But maybe that's too ambitious in terms of distances.
We are not big fans of crowds, country music, Elvis, or Civil War memorabilia. That said, I guess there are some "must see" Southern places which should be on the list.
I've read through the other threads here and, so far, we are thinking (sort of in order of appearance):
Dauphin Island, AL
Gulf Shores park, AL
Which essential places are we leaving out? What's not really necessary? Any suggestions would be very appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Honeymoon Suggestions
- 2 6 days in Boston - review itinerary & other recs needed
- 3 Los Angeles 4 nghts/5days
- 4 Florida Family vacation in California
- 5 Broadway Banter revived, Spring 2015!
- 6 Dupont Circle Hotels
- 7 Other places like Chautauqua Institution
- 8 Short civil rights your Atlanta to Birningham
- 9 September Road Trip in New England
- 10 Road trip NYC to Dallas
- 11 NYC with 8 yr old
- 12 Kayaking at Old Forge, NY
- 13 Build a Chicago itinerary?
- 14 Need help: itinerary from Kansas City to Yellowstone and back
- 15 Western Trip - CO, Utah, NV
- 16 Trip Report - San Francisco advise for 1st timers like us!!
- 17 San Francisco California
- 18 Miami and New Orleans
- 19 Louisville in December
- 20 Transportation Newark/High Line and Penn Station/Newark
- 21 Restaurant near Dana on the bay San Diego
- 22 Grocery Shopping in Maui - is Costco worth the stop?
- 23 United Nations tours
- 24 The Big Island, Kauai, and Maui: A Songdoc Trip Report
- 25 Restaurants in Sanibel/Captiva
Ideas for a Deep South roadtrip (focus on food and nature)