We are a married couple in our early 30s planning a 3 week roadtrip to the South. Right now the idea is to fly NYC-New Orleans and go from there. We'd like to take it easy during the trip, stopping for 2-4 days or longer in various locations and avoiding long drives. We are also hoping to focus on the quieter, off-the-beaten-track places in the south. Tiny villages with a diner that serves the best barbecue in the world (do those exist anyway?), quiet lakeside cabins and forests/mountains where one can spend a day hiking, quaint villages which don't see hordes of tourists.
We're considering ending the trip with a few days of swimming in the Florida Keys. But maybe that's too ambitious in terms of distances.
We are not big fans of crowds, country music, Elvis, or Civil War memorabilia. That said, I guess there are some "must see" Southern places which should be on the list.
I've read through the other threads here and, so far, we are thinking (sort of in order of appearance):
Dauphin Island, AL
Gulf Shores park, AL
Which essential places are we leaving out? What's not really necessary? Any suggestions would be very appreciated!
Ideas for a Deep South roadtrip (focus on food and nature)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Yosemite Lodging
- 2 First trip to Portland, OR - looking for recommendations
- 3 Fairbanks Alaska
- 4 Worst Restaurants in America
- 5 Trip Report - Yellowstone & Grand Tetons National Parks - July 18-25, 2014
- 6 What's new on Maui?
- 7 Safe for female travelling alone to Alaska in early November?
- 8 Washington DC and Philadelphia
- 9 Trip Report: An Intoxicating Birthday Day-Trip in Napa
- 10 Help with seeing Rocky Mountain National Park
- 11 Jensen Beach - Vistana Beach Club
- 12 Broadway choices
- 13 MA to FL on Thanksgiving Day
- 14 Question About Sealodge
- 15 Edison Hotel or Holiday Inn Express manhattan midtown w
- 16 Colorado aspen updates
- 17 New England Skiing
- 18 4 week family trip ideas
- 19 Albuquerque to Vegas drive and sights
- 20 Best Sonoma wineries you've never heard of
- 21 Restaurant recommendations for Ft. Lauderdale
- 22 Florida KeysL Big Pine Key or Tavernier
- 23 Fairbanks, denali, kenai peninsula
- 24 Fall week in Massachusetts
- 25 Seward, Coopers Landing, Homer