We are a married couple in our early 30s planning a 3 week roadtrip to the South. Right now the idea is to fly NYC-New Orleans and go from there. We'd like to take it easy during the trip, stopping for 2-4 days or longer in various locations and avoiding long drives. We are also hoping to focus on the quieter, off-the-beaten-track places in the south. Tiny villages with a diner that serves the best barbecue in the world (do those exist anyway?), quiet lakeside cabins and forests/mountains where one can spend a day hiking, quaint villages which don't see hordes of tourists.
We're considering ending the trip with a few days of swimming in the Florida Keys. But maybe that's too ambitious in terms of distances.
We are not big fans of crowds, country music, Elvis, or Civil War memorabilia. That said, I guess there are some "must see" Southern places which should be on the list.
I've read through the other threads here and, so far, we are thinking (sort of in order of appearance):
Dauphin Island, AL
Gulf Shores park, AL
Which essential places are we leaving out? What's not really necessary? Any suggestions would be very appreciated!
Ideas for a Deep South roadtrip (focus on food and nature)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Why are hotels in San Francisco sooooo expensive 10/11-10/14/14
- 2 San Francisco - mid October
- 3 3 weeks in Florida-Sarasota and Everglades recommendations needed
- 4 San Francisco-Coventry Inn??
- 5 Vegas to Grand Canyon, Bryce and/or Zion Dilemmma!
- 6 Quick Trip to NYC
- 7 Bob Denver... Where are you?
- 8 Los Abrigados Sedona Arizona
- 9 Nashville - Where to stay that's in the middle of it all?
- 10 Beware of Denver Crown Limo!
- 11 John Denver - Rocky Mountain High
- 12 Acadia Carriage Rides--Which One To Do?
- 13 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 14 Road trip itinerary
- 15 Marco Island, Florida-- Itinerary and Restaurant Suggestions?
- 16 Denver to Vegas, stops at Bryce/Zion/?
- 17 Another California/Utah/Arizona Road Trip...Itinerary Comments?
- 18 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 19 Sonoma and Napa Wine Country - How bad is it after the quake?
- 20 Vegas hotels for families
- 21 Need help for our 5 night vacation in DENVER
- 22 Mystery of Death Valley's 'Sailing Stones' Solved | Moving Rocks
- 23 denver to badlands
- 24 10 days in Big Island and Kauai
- 25 4th thread on East Coast trip.