We are a married couple in our early 30s planning a 3 week roadtrip to the South. Right now the idea is to fly NYC-New Orleans and go from there. We'd like to take it easy during the trip, stopping for 2-4 days or longer in various locations and avoiding long drives. We are also hoping to focus on the quieter, off-the-beaten-track places in the south. Tiny villages with a diner that serves the best barbecue in the world (do those exist anyway?), quiet lakeside cabins and forests/mountains where one can spend a day hiking, quaint villages which don't see hordes of tourists.
We're considering ending the trip with a few days of swimming in the Florida Keys. But maybe that's too ambitious in terms of distances.
We are not big fans of crowds, country music, Elvis, or Civil War memorabilia. That said, I guess there are some "must see" Southern places which should be on the list.
I've read through the other threads here and, so far, we are thinking (sort of in order of appearance):
Dauphin Island, AL
Gulf Shores park, AL
Which essential places are we leaving out? What's not really necessary? Any suggestions would be very appreciated!
Ideas for a Deep South roadtrip (focus on food and nature)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Jersey Shore to NYC?
- 2 California San Diego area lodging
- 3 Fiery Furnace Hike in Arches national park
- 4 Kaanapali Beach Hotel- Maui
- 5 Student-budget trip to NewYorkCity HELP please
- 6 Bar Harbor and Boston
- 7 Maui - Haleakala
- 8 Utah 2
- 9 One week roundtrip LAX - Advice Please
- 10 Hotel: Union Sq. or Fisherman's Wharf?
- 11 Dessert with a view in Monterey?
- 12 Small group dining in Napa area
- 13 Portland to San Fransisco in 7 days in mid March
- 14 Kauai - rainy forecast every day of our trip!
- 15 January Jaunt to the Southernmost City ~ Long with Pics!
- 16 Best to do list on Hawaii
- 17 Hawaii is still Hell
- 18 Why you shouldn't hang your purse over the back of your chair in Boston
- 19 Las Vegas in March
- 20 Montana- what are must see places?
- 21 Flight Deals to Hawaii From Nashville?
- 22 Sunrise Easter service-Napa and Sonoma
- 23 Sea world San Diego
- 24 Utah 2
- 25 Glacier National Park 10 Days