We are a married couple in our early 30s planning a 3 week roadtrip to the South. Right now the idea is to fly NYC-New Orleans and go from there. We'd like to take it easy during the trip, stopping for 2-4 days or longer in various locations and avoiding long drives. We are also hoping to focus on the quieter, off-the-beaten-track places in the south. Tiny villages with a diner that serves the best barbecue in the world (do those exist anyway?), quiet lakeside cabins and forests/mountains where one can spend a day hiking, quaint villages which don't see hordes of tourists.
We're considering ending the trip with a few days of swimming in the Florida Keys. But maybe that's too ambitious in terms of distances.
We are not big fans of crowds, country music, Elvis, or Civil War memorabilia. That said, I guess there are some "must see" Southern places which should be on the list.
I've read through the other threads here and, so far, we are thinking (sort of in order of appearance):
Dauphin Island, AL
Gulf Shores park, AL
Which essential places are we leaving out? What's not really necessary? Any suggestions would be very appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Help me with this
- 2 Sunniest place to stay in Kauai
- 3 family with 3 boys needing help for west coast itinerary
- 4 Atlanta airport to Marietta, GA traffic
- 5 Tohono Chul Tucson?
- 6 AR State Parks
- 7 Washington DC in July - hotel, and what items to book now
- 8 Seattle and Vancouver/Victoria
- 9 Need advice-Early June Oregon Coast, Columbia River Gorge, Crater Lake
- 10 2 hours international transit in DFW airport
- 11 Kauai - wow, just WOW!!!
- 12 9-10 day trip to WA
- 13 Apply in 12th grade for an international student ?
- 14 West to East Coast in 10 days
- 15 Proposed Los Angeles itinerary, almost exclusively without a car
- 16 Breckenridge, Estes Park, and Fort Collins in May
- 17 Tour of the Grand Circle USA .HELP!
- 18 las vegas, zion, bryce , grandcanyon, page (antelope canyon), sedona,
- 19 Laguna Beach Hotel
- 20 What do you think of my Yellowstone itinerary - August 2017?
- 21 Atlanta With Toddler
- 22 Metropolitan Opera - good seats?
- 23 NYC For The Day
- 24 Southwest/California NP roadtrip advice needed.
- 25 NYC opinions please! 2nt (shows & meals w/1st timer)
Ideas for a Deep South roadtrip (focus on food and nature)