We are a married couple in our early 30s planning a 3 week roadtrip to the South. Right now the idea is to fly NYC-New Orleans and go from there. We'd like to take it easy during the trip, stopping for 2-4 days or longer in various locations and avoiding long drives. We are also hoping to focus on the quieter, off-the-beaten-track places in the south. Tiny villages with a diner that serves the best barbecue in the world (do those exist anyway?), quiet lakeside cabins and forests/mountains where one can spend a day hiking, quaint villages which don't see hordes of tourists.
We're considering ending the trip with a few days of swimming in the Florida Keys. But maybe that's too ambitious in terms of distances.
We are not big fans of crowds, country music, Elvis, or Civil War memorabilia. That said, I guess there are some "must see" Southern places which should be on the list.
I've read through the other threads here and, so far, we are thinking (sort of in order of appearance):
Dauphin Island, AL
Gulf Shores park, AL
Which essential places are we leaving out? What's not really necessary? Any suggestions would be very appreciated!
Ideas for a Deep South roadtrip (focus on food and nature)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 WISCONSIN
- 2 SF to DR? WTH!
- 3 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 4 Antelope Canyon. Tour form Page or just show up there and pick a guide ?
- 5 rain in Kauai
- 6 VRBO/Airbnb rental status in San Francisco
- 7 AirBnB is illegal in San Francisco,
- 8 Washington DC Self Planned Walking Tour
- 9 Baggage on United and Delta Flights
- 10 Washington DC in May for 4 days
- 11 Washington, D.C. trip report...
- 12 Hotel in Santa Barbara
- 13 Jersey City Parking
- 14 Someplace warm and beachfront for winter 2015
- 15 MICHIGAN - UPPER PENINSULA
- 16 Kennebunkport and....?
- 17 West coast and East coast trip for 18 days
- 18 MACINAC ISLAND, MI TO CHICAGO, IL
- 19 Washington, DC to Boston
- 20 RIP Rizzoli, J&R Music, Pearl Paint
- 21 Where to go in Maine?
- 22 MACINAC ISLAND, MICHIGAN
- 23 Ferry Valdez-Whittier (to Anchorage) or take the road instead ?
- 24 Road trip to include Boston and Concord: where to stay?
- 25 My Boston weekend...killing time near MGH