We are a married couple in our early 30s planning a 3 week roadtrip to the South. Right now the idea is to fly NYC-New Orleans and go from there. We'd like to take it easy during the trip, stopping for 2-4 days or longer in various locations and avoiding long drives. We are also hoping to focus on the quieter, off-the-beaten-track places in the south. Tiny villages with a diner that serves the best barbecue in the world (do those exist anyway?), quiet lakeside cabins and forests/mountains where one can spend a day hiking, quaint villages which don't see hordes of tourists.
We're considering ending the trip with a few days of swimming in the Florida Keys. But maybe that's too ambitious in terms of distances.
We are not big fans of crowds, country music, Elvis, or Civil War memorabilia. That said, I guess there are some "must see" Southern places which should be on the list.
I've read through the other threads here and, so far, we are thinking (sort of in order of appearance):
Dauphin Island, AL
Gulf Shores park, AL
Which essential places are we leaving out? What's not really necessary? Any suggestions would be very appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 http://www.tophealthresource.com/lean-xplode/
- 2 https://musclebuildingbuy.com/primal-growth-male-enhancement/
- 3 Dollar to Euro Exchange
- 4 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
- 5 Restaurant recommendations in falmouth/mashpee, ma area
- 6 Yellowstone National Park in 5 days - NEED HELP
- 7 Dallas airport to bush library
- 8 First Time to Seattle-Portland-Willamette Valley
- 9 Ridiculous Pacific Northwest Road Trip
- 10 Ideas needed for fall road trip Boston - Montreal
- 11 Going from Friday Harbor, San Juan Island to Lake Crescent
- 12 Northern California Gardens.
- 13 The Lincoln Highway, abridged: Nikki's road trip
- 14 Charleston Itinerary Feedback Please
- 15 Driving through Chicago area to Wisconsin
- 16 Trip Report - Quick Trip to Hyannis - August 2017
- 17 Self parking hotel in Philly
- 18 Badlands - Mt. Rushmore -- central place to stay for a few days?
- 19 Arches or Zion?
- 20 Restaurant Recommendations for Queens/Brooklyn/Williamsburgl
- 21 (Healing?) Retreat in Sedona, Az?
- 22 Pu'uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park - Hawaii
- 23 wyoming, south dakota trip
- 24 Providence RI Waterfire
- 25 good restaurant near Nawiliwili port, Kauai
Ideas for a Deep South roadtrip (focus on food and nature)