We are a married couple in our early 30s planning a 3 week roadtrip to the South. Right now the idea is to fly NYC-New Orleans and go from there. We'd like to take it easy during the trip, stopping for 2-4 days or longer in various locations and avoiding long drives. We are also hoping to focus on the quieter, off-the-beaten-track places in the south. Tiny villages with a diner that serves the best barbecue in the world (do those exist anyway?), quiet lakeside cabins and forests/mountains where one can spend a day hiking, quaint villages which don't see hordes of tourists.
We're considering ending the trip with a few days of swimming in the Florida Keys. But maybe that's too ambitious in terms of distances.
We are not big fans of crowds, country music, Elvis, or Civil War memorabilia. That said, I guess there are some "must see" Southern places which should be on the list.
I've read through the other threads here and, so far, we are thinking (sort of in order of appearance):
Dauphin Island, AL
Gulf Shores park, AL
Which essential places are we leaving out? What's not really necessary? Any suggestions would be very appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Retiring to Tucson
- 2 Where to stay 3 nights to see Yosemite from Death Valley?
- 3 Big Sure in June
- 4 universal studios and disney
- 5 Santa Fe Itineray
- 6 Favourite San Francisco hotel / New things to see??
- 7 Folly, Surfside, Carolina or Wrightsville Beach?
- 8 Moving to Dallas - Where to live?
- 9 Spring Break @ Big Bend
- 10 Arches Devils Garden
- 11 Amtrack: Denver to California?
- 12 Steelhead fishing in Kenai Alaska
- 13 RV camping near Yosemite NP
- 14 Travel options between Las Vegas and Grand Canyon South Rim
- 15 Road trip to NP: from Denver to San Francisco or the other way around?
- 16 Savannah hotel
- 17 Utah National Parks visit
- 18 marriot cypress harbour
- 19 Hotel in Reno
- 20 Hwy 1/Big Sur Update
- 21 Visiting Glacier Nat'l Park with 18 mo old.
- 22 Westhester/Bronx/Yonkers area event planning
- 23 Big Island of Hawaii - itinerary ideas for 7-10 day trip
- 24 Oregon: Portland, Redwood NP, Crater Lake
- 25 Trinity Site, NM
Ideas for a Deep South roadtrip (focus on food and nature)