We are a married couple in our early 30s planning a 3 week roadtrip to the South. Right now the idea is to fly NYC-New Orleans and go from there. We'd like to take it easy during the trip, stopping for 2-4 days or longer in various locations and avoiding long drives. We are also hoping to focus on the quieter, off-the-beaten-track places in the south. Tiny villages with a diner that serves the best barbecue in the world (do those exist anyway?), quiet lakeside cabins and forests/mountains where one can spend a day hiking, quaint villages which don't see hordes of tourists.
We're considering ending the trip with a few days of swimming in the Florida Keys. But maybe that's too ambitious in terms of distances.
We are not big fans of crowds, country music, Elvis, or Civil War memorabilia. That said, I guess there are some "must see" Southern places which should be on the list.
I've read through the other threads here and, so far, we are thinking (sort of in order of appearance):
Dauphin Island, AL
Gulf Shores park, AL
Which essential places are we leaving out? What's not really necessary? Any suggestions would be very appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Universal Orlando 2.5 days
- 2 Where in NOLA to stay?
- 3 Nat Park Trip in Utah - Too Much??
- 4 Thanksgiving Day in NYC
- 5 Niagara Falls.
- 6 Detroit - Something Fun to Do?
- 7 Maui in October? Hyatt Regency, or quieter spot??
- 8 California Summer weather/ clothing
- 9 cruising the Mississippi river
- 10 Limited time on Maui: Advice please
- 11 Your favourite places in New York City
- 12 Juneau cruise stop
- 13 Trip Starting from New York
- 14 DC to Harrisonburg- need good hike
- 15 New England Canada Road Trip
- 16 Travel between Orlando and Boston.
- 17 Southwest charging USD15/ for early bird check in
- 18 The city never sleeps, but we needed to
- 19 Napa Valley Hotel
- 20 The Great Debate, What is Worth Precious Money and Time in NYC
- 21 A day in Boston
- 22 Where to stay in Munising, MI?
- 23 "Kid" things to do in Stanwood area
- 24 Nilichik Ak.
- 25 public transportation to and from Freedom Trail from cruiseport
Ideas for a Deep South roadtrip (focus on food and nature)