I am planning a trip from SF to LA covering the PCH with my son, I am 60 he is 33. I am a first time left hand side driver in America ( i come from the UK) and to be honest am more than a little apprehensive. I hope to pick up the car at SFO and drop it off in Santa Barbara before continuing to LA by train.
We are spending 4 nights in SF and starting the PCH drive on Monday 30th July. Any help with an Itinerary would be much appreciated. Also, is the coast highway as scary as some people say, being a first time driver in the States I am a little concerned about the drop offs and possibility of fog obscuring the road edges. I will also be the only driver.
1. How long should I hire the car for - I am thinking 4 or 5 days.
2. My son is a computer freak and wants to visit Palo Alto????? on the way.
3. Where should we make overnight stops. I was thinking of making the first stop in Santa Cruz, then Monteray, Carmel, SLO and finally SB.
4. Suggestions for reasonably priced overnight stops.
5. Any other useful tips
We will prob spend the weekend in LA (any tips for staying here and best things to see). From there we hope to fly to Vegas and take a tour of the Grand Canyon(hints and tips appreciated) before flying to New York (again any tips would be appreciated) and spending 2 days before heading home on 16th August.
Hope you locals and seasoned travellers can help
I need help planning my coast trip from SF to LA
- 1 Hotels in New Orleans
- 2 New York, New York...my kind of town
- 3 Logan Express
- 4 Reasonably priced seafood/steak restaurant near the strip in Las Vegas?
- 5 One day in NYC
- 6 Cast Party at Birdland Monday nights
- 7 Great Beach's
- 8 Charleston, SC and Wild Dunes
- 9 Updates from Hanalei
- 10 National Parks?
- 11 Going to Dodge City, Kansas
- 12 Death Valley in November
- 13 Columbus food !
- 14 Hotels in NYC 26th-29th August (2013)
- 15 Blue ridge parkway
- 16 Minnesota State Fair
- 17 Another apartment rental scam in NYC
- 18 Chicago Architectural Tours
- 19 Jackson Hole & Yellowstone
- 20 Best ice cream in Charleston
- 21 Fires in Colorado
- 22 Seattle in July
- 23 1st trip to Los Angeles
- 24 10 day Hawaii Vacations
- 25 Texas & the Deep South Road Trip Feb/March 2013