Yes, I did indeed have a dream.
It was so real; I woke up from a deep 8 hour sleep almost believing that I was in New York, on the first leg of a 6 week trip along the East Coast.
My last 12 months have been very difficult; it would not be overly melodramatic to call it a “nightmare”. Perhaps this dream may be a sign that my fortune is about to turn. Perhaps it was a timely reminder that we need to make our own “fortune”
What it has most certainly done is give me direction. I MUST start planning my return to the U.S.A, and I would like to ask for your assistance.
Some of you may have been involved in our last trip to the States and I am forever in your debt. Due to the incredible wealth of information that I had to draw on and the generosity shown in answering my endless questions, we had a truly amazing 5 week trip. A road trip that took us from LA to San Francisco and back again, with diversions to Vegas, The Grand Canyon, Yosemite and Tahoe. This was a trip that dreams are made of and it will live with us forever.
As a bit of background information, the “us” that I refer to is myself (46), my wife Kerry (41) and our two sons, Joel (14) and Caleb (11).
We have a fairly diverse list of likes and wants. We all love sports. I love museums /galleries and history but cannot overload a trip with relics of the past as Kerry can “take them or leave them”. We love the “Great Outdoors” as long as we have a “Nice Indoors” to come back to at night. We are happy with clean and comfortable: we don’t require all the 5 star amenities preferring location over grandeur. We want to see the “main” sites/sights but would love to uncover a few “hidden gems” along the way. We are "foodies" of sorts, preferring tasty and iconic street/cafe food to 5 star dining. We love to watch and meet people.
Our timing is still a little up the air. I have decided to put a “dream” itinerary together and then do what needs to be done to make it happen. The first obstacle will be to convince Kerry that we should go. I am hoping that once I lay down a well conceived plan, that the rest will fall into place. Ideally, this trip would take place from mid September to late October this year.
I have put together a “loose” schedule with an approximation of time that I would like to dedicate to each leg of our trip. The main assumption at this stage would be that we fly in/out of New York and that we would hire a car for the journey in-between. Much like our last trip, I expect that this will “evolve” with time and I am fully open to options/suggestions/side trips.
The number of days that I have allocated to each location, after our initial New York leg, will be inclusive of the driving time that it will take to get there. We are de-sensitized to road travel due to our current location in South-Central Australia. I am expecting some 8-9 driving days, but if it makes sense to break some of these trips, we will.
NEW YORK 4 DAYS
WASHINGTON DC 5 DAYS
NASHVILLE/MEMPHIS 4 DAYS
NEW ORLEANS 4 DAYS
ORLANDO 7 DAYS
ATLANTA 2 DAYS
CAROLINA’S (WHERE?) 5 DAYS
PHILEDELPHIA 2 DAYS
BOSTON 4 DAYS
NEW YORK 2 DAYS
I am fully aware that this plan is ambitious and that I may need to remove a leg or two to make it work.
The main priorities are New York / Washington DC / Memphis / Orlando / Boston. Boston will need to be at the end of the trip, if we stick to the current timing, so that we can see a Celtics game.
I would really like to spend 2 full “Smithsonian” days in DC and a day on the monuments/memorials, 3 Days Park Hopping in Orlando, visit Gracelands and see some live music in Memphis. We would also like to catch a game or two of NFL but I am not tied down to the whom and where.
After I have tied the structure down to something achievable and have plotted a sensible course, I would then like to go about making a list of “must do’s and “maybe if time permits”
As you can plainly see…. I need your help!
I have an (East Coast) American Dream....
Yes, I did indeed have a dream.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Santa Fe-Best Time of Year to Visit
- 2 A specific safety issue in Area Hell's Kitchen, 43th West Street
- 3 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 4 Looking for One night commutable to NYC (Solo)
- 5 Question about a private tour in Florence from Livorno port
- 6 Easiest US airports to get to/from with public transportation
- 7 Itinerary suggestion needed for DC
- 8 Re-Visit DC
- 9 Flights from Bay Area to Orlando, Florida
- 10 ONP-San Juan Islds or Victoria-Seattle - what's best itinerary for 8 days?
- 11 Places to stay in DC
- 12 Seeking thoughtful advice on Yellowstone/Tetons trip!
- 13 Finger Lakes Itinerary Help
- 14 Texas and Deep South Road Trip - with Limited Time!
- 15 San Fran to Crater Lake? round trip one week
- 16 Looking For Something New Around The Bay Area!
- 17 Please help me with my Minnesota itinerary
- 18 Seattle, Portland, and day trips all around
- 19 Another Californian Odyssey (June/July 2014)
- 20 Staying in Hollywood or Santa Monica area?
- 21 Best accomodation in LA on a budget
- 22 Corvettes at Carlisle - Aussie travellers
- 23 Montreal - 3 Day Trip
- 24 NYC
- 25 Detroit, MI to Portland or bust.