Yes, I did indeed have a dream.
It was so real; I woke up from a deep 8 hour sleep almost believing that I was in New York, on the first leg of a 6 week trip along the East Coast.
My last 12 months have been very difficult; it would not be overly melodramatic to call it a “nightmare”. Perhaps this dream may be a sign that my fortune is about to turn. Perhaps it was a timely reminder that we need to make our own “fortune”
What it has most certainly done is give me direction. I MUST start planning my return to the U.S.A, and I would like to ask for your assistance.
Some of you may have been involved in our last trip to the States and I am forever in your debt. Due to the incredible wealth of information that I had to draw on and the generosity shown in answering my endless questions, we had a truly amazing 5 week trip. A road trip that took us from LA to San Francisco and back again, with diversions to Vegas, The Grand Canyon, Yosemite and Tahoe. This was a trip that dreams are made of and it will live with us forever.
As a bit of background information, the “us” that I refer to is myself (46), my wife Kerry (41) and our two sons, Joel (14) and Caleb (11).
We have a fairly diverse list of likes and wants. We all love sports. I love museums /galleries and history but cannot overload a trip with relics of the past as Kerry can “take them or leave them”. We love the “Great Outdoors” as long as we have a “Nice Indoors” to come back to at night. We are happy with clean and comfortable: we don’t require all the 5 star amenities preferring location over grandeur. We want to see the “main” sites/sights but would love to uncover a few “hidden gems” along the way. We are "foodies" of sorts, preferring tasty and iconic street/cafe food to 5 star dining. We love to watch and meet people.
Our timing is still a little up the air. I have decided to put a “dream” itinerary together and then do what needs to be done to make it happen. The first obstacle will be to convince Kerry that we should go. I am hoping that once I lay down a well conceived plan, that the rest will fall into place. Ideally, this trip would take place from mid September to late October this year.
I have put together a “loose” schedule with an approximation of time that I would like to dedicate to each leg of our trip. The main assumption at this stage would be that we fly in/out of New York and that we would hire a car for the journey in-between. Much like our last trip, I expect that this will “evolve” with time and I am fully open to options/suggestions/side trips.
The number of days that I have allocated to each location, after our initial New York leg, will be inclusive of the driving time that it will take to get there. We are de-sensitized to road travel due to our current location in South-Central Australia. I am expecting some 8-9 driving days, but if it makes sense to break some of these trips, we will.
NEW YORK 4 DAYS
WASHINGTON DC 5 DAYS
NASHVILLE/MEMPHIS 4 DAYS
NEW ORLEANS 4 DAYS
ORLANDO 7 DAYS
ATLANTA 2 DAYS
CAROLINA’S (WHERE?) 5 DAYS
PHILEDELPHIA 2 DAYS
BOSTON 4 DAYS
NEW YORK 2 DAYS
I am fully aware that this plan is ambitious and that I may need to remove a leg or two to make it work.
The main priorities are New York / Washington DC / Memphis / Orlando / Boston. Boston will need to be at the end of the trip, if we stick to the current timing, so that we can see a Celtics game.
I would really like to spend 2 full “Smithsonian” days in DC and a day on the monuments/memorials, 3 Days Park Hopping in Orlando, visit Gracelands and see some live music in Memphis. We would also like to catch a game or two of NFL but I am not tied down to the whom and where.
After I have tied the structure down to something achievable and have plotted a sensible course, I would then like to go about making a list of “must do’s and “maybe if time permits”
As you can plainly see…. I need your help!
I have an (East Coast) American Dream....
Yes, I did indeed have a dream.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 A Week in Naples Florida--Much Ado About Food (and Wine)
- 2 Northern West Coast Road Trip
- 3 To San Francisco for 8 days
- 4 From Seattle airport to the city
- 5 Middle America in October
- 6 A trip to the SW: Not rushed, do it all, perfect time of year.
- 7 New York City Christmas Trip
- 8 Recomendations for outlets in miami and hotels in orlando
- 9 Craft Beer & Delicious Food in Vegas
- 10 visit to HIghLine
- 11 Please Recommend Florida Gulf Coast Beach Towns to Live
- 12 golf and fishing recommendations in Tampa area
- 13 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 14 Transportation from Newark to Midtown Hotel
- 15 Best route from Nashville to Panama City Beach Florida
- 16 Colorado Skiing
- 17 4 week family trip ideas
- 18 Martha's Vineyard Sailing
- 19 NYC Department Store Windows for Christmas - Ready, Set, Go
- 20 Las Vegas to Grand Canyon, February
- 21 Help with the Itinerary - February 2015
- 22 attraction/tour ticket purchase
- 23 Accommodation New Orleans LA
- 24 Best way to spend a few hours in Greater Los Angeles?
- 25 Young Couple Needs Apartment Rental Advice in/around Orlando