We are relocating from San Antonio to Seattle at the end of February. We are planning to take I 10 to Cali (with a stop at Disneyland) and then up I 5. I planned to stop in Redding on the last night because I can see from maps that just after there is a mountain range and I would rather go through there in daylight.
My question is, bing from south Texas, I have never driven through snow, ice, or mountains and I am terrified. My husband will be driving a u haul and I will be in a chevy malibu (2WD) with my 3 young daughters (6,3,2) and our dog. I am absolutely terrified of heights and ledges and add in the possibility of being up high in a snow storm and I might have an anxiety attack and die on the spot.
Can someone please tell me what the roads are actually like through that area? Will we be up high with views of giant drops? I also see it looks like there is a large bridge over water to cross…. how long is that? How long am I in the mountains for?? I am sure to many of you I sound ridiculous but you have no idea the fear I have and I would rather not be surprised with little ones in the car!
Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Travel advice for travel from Portland to San Diego
- 2 Florida - East Coast vs. Gulf Coast - opinion asap
- 3 Royal Kahana Maui
- 4 Day trip suggestions from Frankenmuth
- 5 Need Help with Kauai Condo Choices
- 6 Road trip out west
- 7 July 4th fireworks in NYC
- 8 San Francisco to Seattle road trip
- 9 Best Brunswick Stew in Norfolk, Va
- 10 Parking in Boston
- 11 Need Northeast itinerary ASAP
- 12 Lake Chelan
- 13 Gabfest in Fredericksburg VA
- 14 What's the 14th Street area like?
- 15 1st trip to Colorado
- 16 Mystic CT
- 17 Mystic, Portland, Camden, Bar Harbor
- 18 Portland, Crater Lake and coast to LA
- 19 60th birthday trip to Vermont, NH, Maine in October
- 20 NJ to Sunset Beach, NC
- 21 Las vegas +21
- 22 Your favourite places in New York City
- 23 Best areas to stay from Dunedin to St Pete Beach?
- 24 Which Motel with Magic Fingers Beds?
- 25 Trip Starting from New York