We are relocating from San Antonio to Seattle at the end of February. We are planning to take I 10 to Cali (with a stop at Disneyland) and then up I 5. I planned to stop in Redding on the last night because I can see from maps that just after there is a mountain range and I would rather go through there in daylight.
My question is, bing from south Texas, I have never driven through snow, ice, or mountains and I am terrified. My husband will be driving a u haul and I will be in a chevy malibu (2WD) with my 3 young daughters (6,3,2) and our dog. I am absolutely terrified of heights and ledges and add in the possibility of being up high in a snow storm and I might have an anxiety attack and die on the spot.
Can someone please tell me what the roads are actually like through that area? Will we be up high with views of giant drops? I also see it looks like there is a large bridge over water to cross…. how long is that? How long am I in the mountains for?? I am sure to many of you I sound ridiculous but you have no idea the fear I have and I would rather not be surprised with little ones in the car!
Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Pacific Grove/Carmel CA area
- 2 Yosemite - importance of staying in park?
- 3 Hotel Picks - Kauai
- 4 2 Grannies, 2 parents & 1 three-yr-old
- 5 Avis or Budget from LAX
- 6 Hotel location Albuquerque
- 7 Great Lakes extended road trip
- 8 Saint Lawrence River Seaway
- 9 Driving CA 395
- 10 Maui and Kauai
- 11 50th Anniversary ocean stay with luxuries?
- 12 New England Tour
- 13 Short warm weather family vacation in January or February
- 14 Glacier National Park 2018
- 15 Hawaii wedding
- 16 I-84 Columbia Gorge
- 17 Adirondacks trip repot
- 18 Suggestions for Sedona and Grand Canyon
- 19 Los Angeles Area Restaurants - 2017 Edition
- 20 Looking for areas to live? Commuting to Palo Alto
- 21 Philadelphia Traffic Help
- 22 sf Chinatown restaurant
- 23 Botanical gardens on Maui, Hilo, and Kauai: how much do they differ?
- 24 City of Seattle: What we might miss and the kick ourselves later
- 25 Downtown Denver hotel