We are relocating from San Antonio to Seattle at the end of February. We are planning to take I 10 to Cali (with a stop at Disneyland) and then up I 5. I planned to stop in Redding on the last night because I can see from maps that just after there is a mountain range and I would rather go through there in daylight.
My question is, bing from south Texas, I have never driven through snow, ice, or mountains and I am terrified. My husband will be driving a u haul and I will be in a chevy malibu (2WD) with my 3 young daughters (6,3,2) and our dog. I am absolutely terrified of heights and ledges and add in the possibility of being up high in a snow storm and I might have an anxiety attack and die on the spot.
Can someone please tell me what the roads are actually like through that area? Will we be up high with views of giant drops? I also see it looks like there is a large bridge over water to cross…. how long is that? How long am I in the mountains for?? I am sure to many of you I sound ridiculous but you have no idea the fear I have and I would rather not be surprised with little ones in the car!
Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Lodging recs for Mackinac Island
- 2 Pacific Drive RoadTrip during Thanks giving
- 3 Boston Ideas
- 4 Papakolea Beach/Green Sand Beach - Big Island, Hawaii
- 5 Hawaii with 2 young teens
- 6 How long to spend at Lassen Volcanic NP?
- 7 Traveling across USA via Greyhound
- 8 Need Help w/ Itinerary-Redwood NP, Mendocino, Sea Ranch Lodge
- 9 Crab restaurants near Silver Springs MD
- 10 Hawaii Itinerary for Family with Teens
- 11 Anna Maria Island--is north end "too" quiet?
- 12 Bedford Stuyvesant
- 13 Help to plan winter vacation in Yellowstone
- 14 Would Torrey be a good base for Moab/Canyonlands
- 15 Where to stay in or near San Simeon for one night?
- 16 Lake Champlain, VT
- 17 Relocation help - move to cool climate
- 18 Buying MI lake house- which lake is warmer, medium sized and clear?
- 19 Road Trip Along Lake Michigan
- 20 Road trip from San Francisco to San Diego
- 21 Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Zion..
- 22 New York with my 16 year old granddaughter
- 23 Coors Field Security for Zac Brown
- 24 Withdrawing cash to buy a car
- 25 Boulder, CO vs Denver, CO