We are relocating from San Antonio to Seattle at the end of February. We are planning to take I 10 to Cali (with a stop at Disneyland) and then up I 5. I planned to stop in Redding on the last night because I can see from maps that just after there is a mountain range and I would rather go through there in daylight.
My question is, bing from south Texas, I have never driven through snow, ice, or mountains and I am terrified. My husband will be driving a u haul and I will be in a chevy malibu (2WD) with my 3 young daughters (6,3,2) and our dog. I am absolutely terrified of heights and ledges and add in the possibility of being up high in a snow storm and I might have an anxiety attack and die on the spot.
Can someone please tell me what the roads are actually like through that area? Will we be up high with views of giant drops? I also see it looks like there is a large bridge over water to cross…. how long is that? How long am I in the mountains for?? I am sure to many of you I sound ridiculous but you have no idea the fear I have and I would rather not be surprised with little ones in the car!
Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Alaska Trip Planning Please Help
- 2 Amtrack: Denver to California?
- 3 New Orleans to Memphis and back
- 4 Honeymoon out west.
- 5 USA, Trip to the south
- 6 Quick Trip to D.C. In April
- 7 Rental car or RV for road trip from San Francisco via Las Vegas to Denver
- 8 SF special dinner for 70 birthday
- 9 How many states have you been to?
- 10 Retiring to Tucson
- 11 Hotel Valencia, San Antonio RiverWalk
- 12 Trip Report: Charleston, Vero Beach, Beaufort
- 13 Bar Harbor to Boston
- 14 SD card usage in multiple devices and formatting
- 15 Travel options between Las Vegas and Grand Canyon South Rim
- 16 Where to watch Oscars in Palm Springs
- 17 Big Sure in June
- 18 My quickie roadtrip to Philly - art, photos, food, and some good karma.
- 19 Santa Fe Itineray
- 20 Roadtrip July 2017
- 21 Glacier, Yellowstone, Teton - Car Rental?
- 22 Yellowstone, Itinerary before
- 23 Where to stay 3 nights to see Yosemite from Death Valley?
- 24 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
- 25 Northwest National Parks Tour