We are relocating from San Antonio to Seattle at the end of February. We are planning to take I 10 to Cali (with a stop at Disneyland) and then up I 5. I planned to stop in Redding on the last night because I can see from maps that just after there is a mountain range and I would rather go through there in daylight.
My question is, bing from south Texas, I have never driven through snow, ice, or mountains and I am terrified. My husband will be driving a u haul and I will be in a chevy malibu (2WD) with my 3 young daughters (6,3,2) and our dog. I am absolutely terrified of heights and ledges and add in the possibility of being up high in a snow storm and I might have an anxiety attack and die on the spot.
Can someone please tell me what the roads are actually like through that area? Will we be up high with views of giant drops? I also see it looks like there is a large bridge over water to cross…. how long is that? How long am I in the mountains for?? I am sure to many of you I sound ridiculous but you have no idea the fear I have and I would rather not be surprised with little ones in the car!
Thanks so much!
I 5 travel Redding to Seattle in late Feb
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 New York City Taking First Steps Against Air BnB Members
- 2 Cabin Honeymoon Out West
- 3 2 Days in Portland - Best of?
- 4 DRIVING ACROSS COUNTRY EAST TO WEST MID MAY TO JUNE
- 5 Chicago in early March 2015 - a dilemma...
- 6 Dining Suggestions for the Baltimore/Annapolis Area?
- 7 New York City Restaurants
- 8 Searching For The Rhythm Of Florida
- 9 Trip Report: An Intoxicating Birthday Day-Trip in Napa
- 10 Boston/Fenway park
- 11 California self drive trip
- 12 Santa Fe advice needed (40th anniversary)
- 13 Boutique Hotels - NYC
- 14 Timeshare Nightmares
- 15 Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton itinerary - advice requested please!
- 16 10 day trip to California
- 17 Broken Bow, Oklahoma in the Fall
- 18 Oregon, Washington, Amtrak
- 19 Drive along the Columbia River
- 20 Wine Country Picnic
- 21 Audio Driving Tour Big Island and Oahu
- 22 Hawaii Trip. Paradise Lost (Or At Least Misplaced)
- 23 Oregon to SF - avoid Coastal Route
- 24 Recommendations for four days in Las Vegas
- 25 AirBnB is illegal in San Francisco,