My husband and I are driving our friend's car to L.A. for him and making a road trip out of it. We're taking a northern route and we don't have much time to sightsee, but I mapped our drive as scenically as possible. On our third day of travel we will be departing Rapid City, SD in the early morning to arrive at Red Lodge, MT hopefully by noon, then proceeding on to The Bear Tooth Highway, through Yellowstone, through Jackson Hole, and overnighting in Alpine, WY. I understand this is an insane itinerary with little allowance for stops, which is less than ideal for sightseeing in the area, but better at least than skipping the area altogether which is our only other option with our time constraints. We plan to drive straight through Yellowstone along the eastern road, not driving the loops but just going straight down from top to bottom. I have no idea how long I should expect this to take given whatever traffic there may be, so in planning I've allotted two hours to BTH and a generous seven hours to Yellowstone, landing us in Alpine between 9:00-11:00 pm. Does this seem realistic? I wish we had the time to do it "right", but I'll take a glimpse over none.
How long to drive direct through Yellowstone NP traveling N-S?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 6 days to drive from Seattle wa to oceanside ca
- 2 Last Minute help needed! Santa Cruz? Capitola? San Jose? Los Gatos?
- 3 Seattle - newby questions
- 4 Old Town Alexandria Restaurants?
- 5 TOWING SCAM IN WASHINGTON, DC
- 6 Purchase of Florida Condo
- 7 Wedding venue suggestions - Boston/suburbs
- 8 3 or 4 days north of San Francisco with kids
- 9 West Coast US trip from Sep to Oct 15 for 30days
- 10 San Francisco to LA driving itinerary 8 days
- 11 New Mexico - Where Would You Go?
- 12 can you help me plan a trip?
- 13 SEATTLE / BALLARD – mini TR about a great wedding visit
- 14 Washington DC - where to stay & commute
- 15 suggestions for restaurants/ breweries/wineries- Northern coast
- 16 Restaurants Chicago June
- 17 Restaurant recomendations in the east 54th Street area, please.
- 18 Feedback on Idaho Itinerary
- 19 Retirement Bucket List Trip: Santa Fe, Colorado Springs, Denver
- 20 tip for valet parking
- 21 New Orleans
- 22 California: Getty museum
- 23 Family friendly weekend get away not far from Chicago
- 24 Help with Moab itinerary for an overacheiver
- 25 NYC hotel/July