My husband and I are driving our friend's car to L.A. for him and making a road trip out of it. We're taking a northern route and we don't have much time to sightsee, but I mapped our drive as scenically as possible. On our third day of travel we will be departing Rapid City, SD in the early morning to arrive at Red Lodge, MT hopefully by noon, then proceeding on to The Bear Tooth Highway, through Yellowstone, through Jackson Hole, and overnighting in Alpine, WY. I understand this is an insane itinerary with little allowance for stops, which is less than ideal for sightseeing in the area, but better at least than skipping the area altogether which is our only other option with our time constraints. We plan to drive straight through Yellowstone along the eastern road, not driving the loops but just going straight down from top to bottom. I have no idea how long I should expect this to take given whatever traffic there may be, so in planning I've allotted two hours to BTH and a generous seven hours to Yellowstone, landing us in Alpine between 9:00-11:00 pm. Does this seem realistic? I wish we had the time to do it "right", but I'll take a glimpse over none.
How long to drive direct through Yellowstone NP traveling N-S?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Tipping advice
- 2 USA New York City: First-time Visitors
- 3 Dad and daughter trip to Santa Fe
- 4 3 weeks in USA in February -- refined itinerary
- 5 Transportation from Newark airport to Secaucus
- 6 Wilmington, NC to Raleigh - Anything interesting to see in between?
- 7 charleston during Christmas Week
- 8 Rules of the Sidewalk
- 9 Fort Myers Beach vs Naples Beach
- 10 Avis Car rental Loss Damage Waiver LDW Fraud
- 11 Advanced Reservations for USS Arizona Memorial Available Again
- 12 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 13 Queens, NY - Do not go
- 14 Tuscon to Las Vegas Drive in December
- 15 Hawaii Rental Cars - Book early
- 16 Boston, NYC or Chicago for 3rd weekend in March?
- 17 Maui - Need a Vegan-Friendly Restaurant Recommendation
- 18 Denver Airport to Downtown Sheraton--Transportation Options?
- 19 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 20 Charleston/Savannah/Asheville, 6 days enough?
- 21 Hotel - Caesars Palace OR Signature @ MGM
- 22 Key West Hotel in January
- 23 los angeles restaurants
- 24 West Maui Restaurants
- 25 2 or 3 nights in Hana