My husband and I are driving our friend's car to L.A. for him and making a road trip out of it. We're taking a northern route and we don't have much time to sightsee, but I mapped our drive as scenically as possible. On our third day of travel we will be departing Rapid City, SD in the early morning to arrive at Red Lodge, MT hopefully by noon, then proceeding on to The Bear Tooth Highway, through Yellowstone, through Jackson Hole, and overnighting in Alpine, WY. I understand this is an insane itinerary with little allowance for stops, which is less than ideal for sightseeing in the area, but better at least than skipping the area altogether which is our only other option with our time constraints. We plan to drive straight through Yellowstone along the eastern road, not driving the loops but just going straight down from top to bottom. I have no idea how long I should expect this to take given whatever traffic there may be, so in planning I've allotted two hours to BTH and a generous seven hours to Yellowstone, landing us in Alpine between 9:00-11:00 pm. Does this seem realistic? I wish we had the time to do it "right", but I'll take a glimpse over none.
How long to drive direct through Yellowstone NP traveling N-S?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Yosemite Lodging
- 2 First trip to Portland, OR - looking for recommendations
- 3 Fairbanks Alaska
- 4 Worst Restaurants in America
- 5 Trip Report - Yellowstone & Grand Tetons National Parks - July 18-25, 2014
- 6 What's new on Maui?
- 7 Safe for female travelling alone to Alaska in early November?
- 8 Washington DC and Philadelphia
- 9 Trip Report: An Intoxicating Birthday Day-Trip in Napa
- 10 Help with seeing Rocky Mountain National Park
- 11 Jensen Beach - Vistana Beach Club
- 12 Broadway choices
- 13 MA to FL on Thanksgiving Day
- 14 Question About Sealodge
- 15 Edison Hotel or Holiday Inn Express manhattan midtown w
- 16 Colorado aspen updates
- 17 New England Skiing
- 18 4 week family trip ideas
- 19 Albuquerque to Vegas drive and sights
- 20 Best Sonoma wineries you've never heard of
- 21 Restaurant recommendations for Ft. Lauderdale
- 22 Florida KeysL Big Pine Key or Tavernier
- 23 Fairbanks, denali, kenai peninsula
- 24 Fall week in Massachusetts
- 25 Seward, Coopers Landing, Homer