We are visiting Oahu and the Big Island in November. Due to the availability of FF miles, we are splitting our time on Oahu. We will be there Wed - Saturday morning of Thanksgiving weekend, and return the following Saturday morning (Pearl Harbor Day), leaving Sunday night. Due to using miles tickets for all flights, we are locked into our schedule.
Mom wants to visit the Polynesian Cultural Center as she has fond memories from when she lived there 40 years ago. I am thinking to include the evening show in our visit. As PCC is not open on Thanksgiving we have Thanksgiving Friday (Waikiki Holiday Parade Day) or the following Saturday (Pearl Harbor Day Parade) to visit the PCC. For the first part of our visit, we will be staying in Waikiki; the second half, Ko Olina.
Ideally, the last 2 days would be to simply relax on the beach before ending our vacation as we have so many activities planned for the Big Island; however, I have mixed feelings. Perhaps some feedback will help me make some decisions.
1. Anyone have experience with both parades? Is one bigger or more elaborate than the other? Would you pass on an activity in order to attend either parade? They seem to honor Pearl Harbor Day vets in both parades, but is the Pearl Harbor Day parade more historical or sentimental?
2. Does it make sense planning activities around either parade?
3. I thought about splitting the PCC trip with visiting the PCC for the villages day on Friday after Thanksgiving, then returning to Waikiki for the parade. Will traffic and lane closures for the parade make this a bad idea? (It certainly wouldn't work where I live!)
4. We've all attended luaus before and visited Oahu before; are we missing out if we visit the PCC for the day and bypass the night show? (But for mom, I might have passed on PCC altogether.)
5) Any must do Pearl Harbor Day events that have historical/sentimental value?
I am open to suggestions!
Holiday Parade/Pearl Harbor Day Parade Questions
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 East Coast trip in 11 full days.
- 2 what to do in the St. Louis area Oct.12 thru Oct19
- 3 Cape Cod
- 4 San Francisco - mid October
- 5 Panama City beach or other suggestion
- 6 Navajo guide in Canyon de Chelly?
- 7 San Diego with Kids
- 8 Tour companies
- 9 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 10 NYC Neighbourhoods
- 11 New York - October with 7 yr old
- 12 New York City Borough Walking: Where for Diverse Flavorful Neighborhoods?
- 13 Something to do besides drink wine in Sonoma.
- 14 Which botanical garden is the best in Kauai?
- 15 Road Trip! Philadelphia to Montreal and Quebec
- 16 Puerto Rico in December - how much can we do?
- 17 Where to go to hear good Hawaiian Music in Kauai?
- 18 Where to stay for Acadia National Park
- 19 New York itinerary for 5 or 6 days
- 20 Getting around the Big Island
- 21 Where to go? Family looking for the perfect vacation spot.
- 22 best of yellowstone
- 23 Lake Tahoe to Yosemite: advice needed
- 24 Washington DC and NYC - What to book ahead of time?
- 25 4th thread on East Coast trip.