We are visiting Oahu and the Big Island in November. Due to the availability of FF miles, we are splitting our time on Oahu. We will be there Wed - Saturday morning of Thanksgiving weekend, and return the following Saturday morning (Pearl Harbor Day), leaving Sunday night. Due to using miles tickets for all flights, we are locked into our schedule.
Mom wants to visit the Polynesian Cultural Center as she has fond memories from when she lived there 40 years ago. I am thinking to include the evening show in our visit. As PCC is not open on Thanksgiving we have Thanksgiving Friday (Waikiki Holiday Parade Day) or the following Saturday (Pearl Harbor Day Parade) to visit the PCC. For the first part of our visit, we will be staying in Waikiki; the second half, Ko Olina.
Ideally, the last 2 days would be to simply relax on the beach before ending our vacation as we have so many activities planned for the Big Island; however, I have mixed feelings. Perhaps some feedback will help me make some decisions.
1. Anyone have experience with both parades? Is one bigger or more elaborate than the other? Would you pass on an activity in order to attend either parade? They seem to honor Pearl Harbor Day vets in both parades, but is the Pearl Harbor Day parade more historical or sentimental?
2. Does it make sense planning activities around either parade?
3. I thought about splitting the PCC trip with visiting the PCC for the villages day on Friday after Thanksgiving, then returning to Waikiki for the parade. Will traffic and lane closures for the parade make this a bad idea? (It certainly wouldn't work where I live!)
4. We've all attended luaus before and visited Oahu before; are we missing out if we visit the PCC for the day and bypass the night show? (But for mom, I might have passed on PCC altogether.)
5) Any must do Pearl Harbor Day events that have historical/sentimental value?
I am open to suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 "Unique" New York City Experiences-Yours
- 2 Restaurants in the San Francisco area
- 3 Back from the Big Easy
- 4 Border crossing
- 5 Cross country tips
- 6 Sedona v Scottsdale?
- 7 Traveling into the US with Alcohol
- 8 Driving Alaska
- 9 Clear Roads From Seattle to Omaha 12-9-16?
- 10 Parka in PA during February?
- 11 Is Fox Rent A Car any good?
- 12 EWR to Midtown Manhattan
- 13 DIA to Estes Park in mid-Feb. 4x4?
- 14 Rental cars at Tampa cruiseport 3
- 15 Best Kids' Skiing <3 hours from Chicago?
- 16 CEO Dollar Rental Car
- 17 Ideas for New York
- 18 Best May/Jun Yosemite lodging areas: Yosemite West, El Portal, or Wawona?
- 19 Last minute Keys Trip Advice Please
- 20 Disappointed with Budget Car Rental Las Vegas
- 21 Driving from San Diego CA to Great lakes IL in FEB
- 22 17' uhaul from seattle wa to San Antonio Texas
- 23 IAH to HOU Questions
- 24 Jazzfest side trips
- 25 March in New Mexico