We are visiting Oahu and the Big Island in November. Due to the availability of FF miles, we are splitting our time on Oahu. We will be there Wed - Saturday morning of Thanksgiving weekend, and return the following Saturday morning (Pearl Harbor Day), leaving Sunday night. Due to using miles tickets for all flights, we are locked into our schedule.
Mom wants to visit the Polynesian Cultural Center as she has fond memories from when she lived there 40 years ago. I am thinking to include the evening show in our visit. As PCC is not open on Thanksgiving we have Thanksgiving Friday (Waikiki Holiday Parade Day) or the following Saturday (Pearl Harbor Day Parade) to visit the PCC. For the first part of our visit, we will be staying in Waikiki; the second half, Ko Olina.
Ideally, the last 2 days would be to simply relax on the beach before ending our vacation as we have so many activities planned for the Big Island; however, I have mixed feelings. Perhaps some feedback will help me make some decisions.
1. Anyone have experience with both parades? Is one bigger or more elaborate than the other? Would you pass on an activity in order to attend either parade? They seem to honor Pearl Harbor Day vets in both parades, but is the Pearl Harbor Day parade more historical or sentimental?
2. Does it make sense planning activities around either parade?
3. I thought about splitting the PCC trip with visiting the PCC for the villages day on Friday after Thanksgiving, then returning to Waikiki for the parade. Will traffic and lane closures for the parade make this a bad idea? (It certainly wouldn't work where I live!)
4. We've all attended luaus before and visited Oahu before; are we missing out if we visit the PCC for the day and bypass the night show? (But for mom, I might have passed on PCC altogether.)
5) Any must do Pearl Harbor Day events that have historical/sentimental value?
I am open to suggestions!
Holiday Parade/Pearl Harbor Day Parade Questions
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Knock Off Shopping in NYC
- 2 Hotel: Union Sq. or Fisherman's Wharf?
- 3 Kauai - rainy forecast every day of our trip!
- 4 Albuquerque to Las Vegas
- 5 Transportation from MCO to Port Canaveral
- 6 Sedona & Grand Canyon - 1 week trip from Phoenix
- 7 10 day trip
- 8 Favorite Casual D.C. Restaurants?
- 9 San Diego: Point Loma>Ocean Beach
- 10 Utah restaurants
- 11 Great Smoky Mountains - family driving trip
- 12 Another Trip to DC for baseball!
- 13 Another Perfect Visit to Paradise: Kauai
- 14 looking for beautiful gardens suggestions in early April
- 15 Ride Share DEN to CB 3/18
- 16 Venice tourist travel pass
- 17 Crossville, TN in March
- 18 SXSW an issue?: 4 Days In Austin 8-11
- 19 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 20 Resort at the Mountain - It's Running a Rate Special
- 21 Why you shouldn't hang your purse over the back of your chair in Boston
- 22 Final dinner in NYC recommendations
- 23 need help planning a trip to Grand Hotel/Mackinac Island, MI
- 24 Short Road Trip California Arizona – Less than a week
- 25 Trip Report to Pacific Northwest: August 2014