My husband, two sons (ages 8 and 10) and I will be in Hilton Head for 4 nights and Charleston for 2 nights in mid-August. This will be our first time in the Hilton Head and Charleston area. We've heard wonderful things about Kiawah Island.
We thought when we left Hilton Head, that we could stop and spend the day on Kiawah on the way to Charleston. We could eat lunch and kayak on Kiawah, eat dinner at Fat Hen (30 min outside of Charleston), and then head to our hotel in North Charleston to rest up for the next day. That leaves us with one full day in Charleston.
I am interested in feedback on whether a full day at Kiawah is worthwhile or if we should plan to simply eat lunch, drive around Kiawah, maybe check out Heron Park and then leave. If we didn't spend much time on Kiawah, we could then start our Charleston visit a little early by eating dinner in downtown Charleston and walking around a bit to get a taste of the sights before spending the next, full day in the city.
- Is Kiawah worth a stop on the way to Charleston? If yes, as a day visit or short stopover?
- Or is it best to get some more time in Charleston? Skip Kiawah all together to get a total of ~2 full days in Charleston?
Keep in mind that while on Hilton Head, we will likely do a combination of swimming, biking, beach lounging, visiting Pinckney Island Wildlife Refuge or Sea Pines Preserve to get our wildlife fix in, maybe kayaking. We initially wanted to stay in Kiawah, but found it to be much more economical to use our hotel points for free nights at the Westin on Hilton Head.
We are a family that likes to take our time, enjoy the sights and have a mix of relaxation and outdoor activity.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 YAHOO 1:888:260:2909 Password Reset CONTACT ☎ YAHOO TEC*h 24*7
- 2 EPSON printer Installation CONTACT☎ 1:800:681:7208 Tec*h Supp0rt care
- 3 Hotel to stay in Queens
- 4 San Francisco/wildfire worries
- 5 Mardi Gras - avoid or embrace?
- 6 PNW & its grudge against the bumbershoot
- 7 MIDTOWN EAST TO JFK....VIA, UBER, OR YELLOW CAB?
- 8 Tucson: milestone Birthday Dinner, winter
- 9 Where to stay in Big Bear/Snow Summit, California to ski?
- 10 Christmas in Colorado
- 11 Philadelphia travel ideas
- 12 Winter hiking in Colorado
- 13 Las Vegas Trip Report - Royal Flusher's Lost Weekend
- 14 Eating Well In Manhatten
- 15 JFK to Washington
- 16 Where to live in the North East
- 17 Restaurants - Nashville & Memphis
- 18 Great Smoky Mountains - Chimn Tops Trail
- 19 Restaurant Recommendations
- 20 LA Cali for 3 days alone, What To Do?
- 21 Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge in Big Sur to reopen at 5pm Friday October 13th
- 22 Houston during hurricane
- 23 Los Angeles for Christmas
- 24 Pacific Grove/Carmel CA area
- 25 Phoenix for the weekend
Hilton Head to Charleston - stop at Kiawah on the way to Charleston?