My husband, two sons (ages 8 and 10) and I will be in Hilton Head for 4 nights and Charleston for 2 nights in mid-August. This will be our first time in the Hilton Head and Charleston area. We've heard wonderful things about Kiawah Island.
We thought when we left Hilton Head, that we could stop and spend the day on Kiawah on the way to Charleston. We could eat lunch and kayak on Kiawah, eat dinner at Fat Hen (30 min outside of Charleston), and then head to our hotel in North Charleston to rest up for the next day. That leaves us with one full day in Charleston.
I am interested in feedback on whether a full day at Kiawah is worthwhile or if we should plan to simply eat lunch, drive around Kiawah, maybe check out Heron Park and then leave. If we didn't spend much time on Kiawah, we could then start our Charleston visit a little early by eating dinner in downtown Charleston and walking around a bit to get a taste of the sights before spending the next, full day in the city.
- Is Kiawah worth a stop on the way to Charleston? If yes, as a day visit or short stopover?
- Or is it best to get some more time in Charleston? Skip Kiawah all together to get a total of ~2 full days in Charleston?
Keep in mind that while on Hilton Head, we will likely do a combination of swimming, biking, beach lounging, visiting Pinckney Island Wildlife Refuge or Sea Pines Preserve to get our wildlife fix in, maybe kayaking. We initially wanted to stay in Kiawah, but found it to be much more economical to use our hotel points for free nights at the Westin on Hilton Head.
We are a family that likes to take our time, enjoy the sights and have a mix of relaxation and outdoor activity.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 7 Day Photography Road trip from Vegas to Denver during Christmas
- 2 Santa Fe & Taos for Christmas week: feedback on itinerary?
- 3 Hollywood Area where to stay
- 4 New York in December
- 5 Bringing alcohol into the US
- 6 Bringin Wine in by car from Mexico
- 7 Three relaxing weeks in Palm Springs
- 8 Road trip from Madison, WI to Portland, OR in April, 2017
- 9 Driving from San Diego CA to Great lakes IL in FEB
- 10 Seafood restaurant in San Francisco - recommendations
- 11 Christmas shopping in Sante Fe
- 12 Ideas for New York
- 13 CAJUN region, plus NEW ORLEANS
- 14 Grand Canyon / Bryce / Zion in August with Teens
- 15 Staying outside DC
- 16 Dallas, Austin, Waco in February
- 17 Hurricane Matthew damage along Florida East Coast?
- 18 New Years In Asheville with Nature and Beer on the side!
- 19 Suggestions for a Week in Portland
- 20 Going to L.A. dec18-25; Road trip to D.V. and on rt66
- 21 9 days in Olympic NP and Seattle area
- 22 Road trip
- 23 What's your favorite "after theatre" place to eat in NYC??
- 24 Driving from Providence to Ohio in an '82 Volvo with a cat, but...
- 25 Getting married to a French man
Hilton Head to Charleston - stop at Kiawah on the way to Charleston?