My husband, two sons (ages 8 and 10) and I will be in Hilton Head for 4 nights and Charleston for 2 nights in mid-August. This will be our first time in the Hilton Head and Charleston area. We've heard wonderful things about Kiawah Island.
We thought when we left Hilton Head, that we could stop and spend the day on Kiawah on the way to Charleston. We could eat lunch and kayak on Kiawah, eat dinner at Fat Hen (30 min outside of Charleston), and then head to our hotel in North Charleston to rest up for the next day. That leaves us with one full day in Charleston.
I am interested in feedback on whether a full day at Kiawah is worthwhile or if we should plan to simply eat lunch, drive around Kiawah, maybe check out Heron Park and then leave. If we didn't spend much time on Kiawah, we could then start our Charleston visit a little early by eating dinner in downtown Charleston and walking around a bit to get a taste of the sights before spending the next, full day in the city.
- Is Kiawah worth a stop on the way to Charleston? If yes, as a day visit or short stopover?
- Or is it best to get some more time in Charleston? Skip Kiawah all together to get a total of ~2 full days in Charleston?
Keep in mind that while on Hilton Head, we will likely do a combination of swimming, biking, beach lounging, visiting Pinckney Island Wildlife Refuge or Sea Pines Preserve to get our wildlife fix in, maybe kayaking. We initially wanted to stay in Kiawah, but found it to be much more economical to use our hotel points for free nights at the Westin on Hilton Head.
We are a family that likes to take our time, enjoy the sights and have a mix of relaxation and outdoor activity.
Hilton Head to Charleston - stop at Kiawah on the way to Charleston?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 A trip to the SW: Not rushed, do it all, perfect time of year.
- 2 Boston in winter?
- 3 Best route home from page, az to ny?
- 4 Young Couple Needs Apartment Rental Advice in/around Orlando
- 5 best places to visit in winter through WV to North Carolina
- 6 Best way to spend a few hours in Greater Los Angeles?
- 7 Midway to Mag. Mile area -- cab or public transport?
- 8 charlotte
- 9 New York City in April
- 10 Elephant Man Preview on Broadway with Bradley Cooper
- 11 Long Beach - alternative lodging to Queen Mary but close by
- 12 Philadelphia accommodation thoughts
- 13 Public Transportation to DC and NY from Baltimore Area
- 14 Yellowstone in the winter?
- 15 san fran sightseeing
- 16 Transportation from Seattle to Vancouver BC
- 17 Need beach location for summer family reunion.
- 18 Help?! I-40 or I-20 across Southeast US this week? (Construction delays?)
- 19 Baytown, Texas
- 20 A Week in Naples Florida--Much Ado About Food (and Wine)
- 21 Moving from VA to CT
- 22 New Orleans pictures
- 23 Colonial williamsburg Lodge at Christmas
- 24 Boston Trip to BU from Chicago (and reply to advice)
- 25 Thanksgiving in Manhattan