My husband, two sons (ages 8 and 10) and I will be in Hilton Head for 4 nights and Charleston for 2 nights in mid-August. This will be our first time in the Hilton Head and Charleston area. We've heard wonderful things about Kiawah Island.
We thought when we left Hilton Head, that we could stop and spend the day on Kiawah on the way to Charleston. We could eat lunch and kayak on Kiawah, eat dinner at Fat Hen (30 min outside of Charleston), and then head to our hotel in North Charleston to rest up for the next day. That leaves us with one full day in Charleston.
I am interested in feedback on whether a full day at Kiawah is worthwhile or if we should plan to simply eat lunch, drive around Kiawah, maybe check out Heron Park and then leave. If we didn't spend much time on Kiawah, we could then start our Charleston visit a little early by eating dinner in downtown Charleston and walking around a bit to get a taste of the sights before spending the next, full day in the city.
- Is Kiawah worth a stop on the way to Charleston? If yes, as a day visit or short stopover?
- Or is it best to get some more time in Charleston? Skip Kiawah all together to get a total of ~2 full days in Charleston?
Keep in mind that while on Hilton Head, we will likely do a combination of swimming, biking, beach lounging, visiting Pinckney Island Wildlife Refuge or Sea Pines Preserve to get our wildlife fix in, maybe kayaking. We initially wanted to stay in Kiawah, but found it to be much more economical to use our hotel points for free nights at the Westin on Hilton Head.
We are a family that likes to take our time, enjoy the sights and have a mix of relaxation and outdoor activity.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 http://advancemenpower.com/kamasutra-male-enhancement/
- 2 Savannah hotel
- 3 Travel options between Las Vegas and Grand Canyon South Rim
- 4 Favourite San Francisco hotel / New things to see??
- 5 Hotel in Reno
- 6 Amtrack: Denver to California?
- 7 Spring Break @ Big Bend
- 8 Hwy 1/Big Sur Update
- 9 Visiting Glacier Nat'l Park with 18 mo old.
- 10 Westhester/Bronx/Yonkers area event planning
- 11 Big Island of Hawaii - itinerary ideas for 7-10 day trip
- 12 Oregon: Portland, Redwood NP, Crater Lake
- 13 Retiring to Tucson
- 14 Trinity Site, NM
- 15 Santa Fe Itineray
- 16 Moab Weekend with Kids
- 17 Northwest National Parks Tour
- 18 Moving to Dallas - Where to live?
- 19 Bar Harbor to Boston
- 20 Southwest Road Trip in Oct
- 21 Charleston and/or Savannah in 4 days
- 22 North Carolina airports
- 23 Saturday traffic heading to the Outer Banks
- 24 Boston to Naples florida
- 25 Driving from Miami to Florida Keys - electronic tolls?
Hilton Head to Charleston - stop at Kiawah on the way to Charleston?