My husband, two sons (ages 8 and 10) and I will be in Hilton Head for 4 nights and Charleston for 2 nights in mid-August. This will be our first time in the Hilton Head and Charleston area. We've heard wonderful things about Kiawah Island.
We thought when we left Hilton Head, that we could stop and spend the day on Kiawah on the way to Charleston. We could eat lunch and kayak on Kiawah, eat dinner at Fat Hen (30 min outside of Charleston), and then head to our hotel in North Charleston to rest up for the next day. That leaves us with one full day in Charleston.
I am interested in feedback on whether a full day at Kiawah is worthwhile or if we should plan to simply eat lunch, drive around Kiawah, maybe check out Heron Park and then leave. If we didn't spend much time on Kiawah, we could then start our Charleston visit a little early by eating dinner in downtown Charleston and walking around a bit to get a taste of the sights before spending the next, full day in the city.
- Is Kiawah worth a stop on the way to Charleston? If yes, as a day visit or short stopover?
- Or is it best to get some more time in Charleston? Skip Kiawah all together to get a total of ~2 full days in Charleston?
Keep in mind that while on Hilton Head, we will likely do a combination of swimming, biking, beach lounging, visiting Pinckney Island Wildlife Refuge or Sea Pines Preserve to get our wildlife fix in, maybe kayaking. We initially wanted to stay in Kiawah, but found it to be much more economical to use our hotel points for free nights at the Westin on Hilton Head.
We are a family that likes to take our time, enjoy the sights and have a mix of relaxation and outdoor activity.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Kids Vacation Place
- 2 San Francisco through Colorado Rockies
- 3 Last minute Maine/New Hampshire trip
- 4 Another Key West Trip Report, July 3 - 9, 2016
- 5 Boston waterfront Italian
- 6 Napa valley getaway
- 7 Recommendation: Beachfront in VA or MD walking distance to quaint downtown
- 8 Lake Tahoe hotel with a lake view
- 9 Help Planning Zion/Bryce Itinerary
- 10 Best restaurants?! - first time to NYC!
- 11 Day in Spokane
- 12 Marriott or Sheraton in Orlando?
- 13 CA Fire - need revised itinerary help
- 14 AUGUST---7 day San Fran to San Diego
- 15 Aug. cruise wardrobe
- 16 Desert Southwest
- 17 Transit Advisory - PATH system - Weekends from August 6 to December 19, 2016
- 18 Los Angeles Indefinitely
- 19 Road trip from Gulf Coast to Key West
- 20 Need help with National Parks trip in 2017
- 21 Zion and Bryce in July
- 22 East United State - what do you reccomend ?
- 23 First time, Best business class?
- 24 What to pack
- 25 Trip Report: 2 weeks from SF to Yellowstone and back, June 2016
Hilton Head to Charleston - stop at Kiawah on the way to Charleston?