My husband, two sons (ages 8 and 10) and I will be in Hilton Head for 4 nights and Charleston for 2 nights in mid-August. This will be our first time in the Hilton Head and Charleston area. We've heard wonderful things about Kiawah Island.
We thought when we left Hilton Head, that we could stop and spend the day on Kiawah on the way to Charleston. We could eat lunch and kayak on Kiawah, eat dinner at Fat Hen (30 min outside of Charleston), and then head to our hotel in North Charleston to rest up for the next day. That leaves us with one full day in Charleston.
I am interested in feedback on whether a full day at Kiawah is worthwhile or if we should plan to simply eat lunch, drive around Kiawah, maybe check out Heron Park and then leave. If we didn't spend much time on Kiawah, we could then start our Charleston visit a little early by eating dinner in downtown Charleston and walking around a bit to get a taste of the sights before spending the next, full day in the city.
- Is Kiawah worth a stop on the way to Charleston? If yes, as a day visit or short stopover?
- Or is it best to get some more time in Charleston? Skip Kiawah all together to get a total of ~2 full days in Charleston?
Keep in mind that while on Hilton Head, we will likely do a combination of swimming, biking, beach lounging, visiting Pinckney Island Wildlife Refuge or Sea Pines Preserve to get our wildlife fix in, maybe kayaking. We initially wanted to stay in Kiawah, but found it to be much more economical to use our hotel points for free nights at the Westin on Hilton Head.
We are a family that likes to take our time, enjoy the sights and have a mix of relaxation and outdoor activity.
Hilton Head to Charleston - stop at Kiawah on the way to Charleston?
- 1 Easter Holiday on Kauai with 10 year old daughter
- 2 Christmas-time in New York City? Special holiday experiences?
- 3 Viginia Jan 18-21st
- 4 Paul Rabe - A West Chester Question
- 5 Inexpensive Weekend Getaway- New England
- 6 Vero Beach FL
- 7 San Francisco Hotel Help
- 8 Moonstruck Patisserie - Hilo ~ wow!!
- 9 Las Vegas to Zion National Park - Fear of Heights
- 10 Sightseeing and restaurants in LA
- 11 Traveling the pacific coast highway and national parks in one week
- 12 Road Trip to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho & Oregon
- 13 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 14 First timers in Kauai--would love advice/suggestions
- 15 Family holiday to Hawaii - which islands?
- 16 What is the United Lounge like at LAX?
- 17 visiting Arizona area for 18 days from May19th 2014
- 18 NOLA 10th Anniv. Suggestions?
- 19 US West Coast - Car or Camper
- 20 Question about Boulder area
- 21 Fort Lauderdale weather in late January
- 22 Savannah or Charleston- If you had to choose.
- 23 Hike down the Grand Canyon in February?
- 24 Grand Canyon in March?
- 25 a very short trip report of our 10 days on the Big Island