My husband, two sons (ages 8 and 10) and I will be in Hilton Head for 4 nights and Charleston for 2 nights in mid-August. This will be our first time in the Hilton Head and Charleston area. We've heard wonderful things about Kiawah Island.
We thought when we left Hilton Head, that we could stop and spend the day on Kiawah on the way to Charleston. We could eat lunch and kayak on Kiawah, eat dinner at Fat Hen (30 min outside of Charleston), and then head to our hotel in North Charleston to rest up for the next day. That leaves us with one full day in Charleston.
I am interested in feedback on whether a full day at Kiawah is worthwhile or if we should plan to simply eat lunch, drive around Kiawah, maybe check out Heron Park and then leave. If we didn't spend much time on Kiawah, we could then start our Charleston visit a little early by eating dinner in downtown Charleston and walking around a bit to get a taste of the sights before spending the next, full day in the city.
- Is Kiawah worth a stop on the way to Charleston? If yes, as a day visit or short stopover?
- Or is it best to get some more time in Charleston? Skip Kiawah all together to get a total of ~2 full days in Charleston?
Keep in mind that while on Hilton Head, we will likely do a combination of swimming, biking, beach lounging, visiting Pinckney Island Wildlife Refuge or Sea Pines Preserve to get our wildlife fix in, maybe kayaking. We initially wanted to stay in Kiawah, but found it to be much more economical to use our hotel points for free nights at the Westin on Hilton Head.
We are a family that likes to take our time, enjoy the sights and have a mix of relaxation and outdoor activity.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Steamboat in August
- 2 Transportation from downtown Miami to Ft. Lauderdale airport
- 3 Discount Broadway Show Tickets webistes
- 4 California Summer weather/ clothing
- 5 Napa Valley Hotel
- 6 Road trip from Boston to Florida
- 7 Movies to put you in the mood for a western road trip
- 8 Do you have suggestions on my first roadtrip South-West USA?
- 9 Need Advice For Trip with 16year old son-
- 10 The city never sleeps, but we needed to
- 11 The Great Debate, What is Worth Precious Money and Time in NYC
- 12 Christmas Napa Valley
- 13 Island of Oahu: looking for cheap accommodation
- 14 Southwest charging USD15/ for early bird check in
- 15 Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe to Riverside, CA
- 16 Your favourite places in New York City
- 17 Phone SIM
- 18 3 days in NYC with my Grandma!
- 19 Las vegas +21
- 20 1st Visit to USA with kids in Jul-Aug, SFO,LA,SD & LAS - 21 days. Need Help
- 21 60th birthday trip to Vermont, NH, Maine in October
- 22 Zion NP & Las Vegas with Kids for 3 days in July - Please Help
- 23 Trip Idea for Thanksgiving Break
- 24 Limited time on Maui: Advice please
- 25 Savanah Sojourn
Hilton Head to Charleston - stop at Kiawah on the way to Charleston?