My husband, two sons (ages 8 and 10) and I will be in Hilton Head for 4 nights and Charleston for 2 nights in mid-August. This will be our first time in the Hilton Head and Charleston area. We've heard wonderful things about Kiawah Island.
We thought when we left Hilton Head, that we could stop and spend the day on Kiawah on the way to Charleston. We could eat lunch and kayak on Kiawah, eat dinner at Fat Hen (30 min outside of Charleston), and then head to our hotel in North Charleston to rest up for the next day. That leaves us with one full day in Charleston.
I am interested in feedback on whether a full day at Kiawah is worthwhile or if we should plan to simply eat lunch, drive around Kiawah, maybe check out Heron Park and then leave. If we didn't spend much time on Kiawah, we could then start our Charleston visit a little early by eating dinner in downtown Charleston and walking around a bit to get a taste of the sights before spending the next, full day in the city.
- Is Kiawah worth a stop on the way to Charleston? If yes, as a day visit or short stopover?
- Or is it best to get some more time in Charleston? Skip Kiawah all together to get a total of ~2 full days in Charleston?
Keep in mind that while on Hilton Head, we will likely do a combination of swimming, biking, beach lounging, visiting Pinckney Island Wildlife Refuge or Sea Pines Preserve to get our wildlife fix in, maybe kayaking. We initially wanted to stay in Kiawah, but found it to be much more economical to use our hotel points for free nights at the Westin on Hilton Head.
We are a family that likes to take our time, enjoy the sights and have a mix of relaxation and outdoor activity.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Zion..
- 2 Any nice condo's to stay in Seaside, Florida?
- 3 Looking to move from North Carolina to Colorado
- 4 Apple Dental Group
- 5 BeeHive Assisted Living Floydada TX - Dementia & Senior Care Facility
- 6 Savannah Itinerary Feedback Please
- 7 Charleston Itinerary Feedback Please
- 8 Long-Term parking options New Orleans Airport
- 9 Uber from Baton Rouge to N.O. Airport
- 10 Nome, AK to Serpentine Hot Springs in the Bering Land Bridge NP
- 11 First Time to Seattle-Portland-Willamette Valley
- 12 Luau Worth the Money or Not?
- 13 NEW ORLEANS AND CAJUN COUNTRY...A WEEK-LONG FOOD QUEST
- 14 Lava Bike & Hike Tour - Kalapana, Hawaii
- 15 Colorado itinerary
- 16 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
- 17 watching solar eclipse in Portland
- 18 Hawaii wedding
- 19 3wks in USA, flying in & out of LA, in Jan 2018
- 20 Adventure Travel in Kenai Peninsula
- 21 12 Must-Read Rental Car & Road Trip Planning Tips
- 22 Oregon Coast with 1, 4 and 6, year old
- 23 Charlottesville & NC BBQ Trip Report
- 24 Looking for quiet beach vacation in Florida
- 25 Oregon Coast question
Hilton Head to Charleston - stop at Kiawah on the way to Charleston?