My husband, two sons (ages 8 and 10) and I will be in Hilton Head for 4 nights and Charleston for 2 nights in mid-August. This will be our first time in the Hilton Head and Charleston area. We've heard wonderful things about Kiawah Island.
We thought when we left Hilton Head, that we could stop and spend the day on Kiawah on the way to Charleston. We could eat lunch and kayak on Kiawah, eat dinner at Fat Hen (30 min outside of Charleston), and then head to our hotel in North Charleston to rest up for the next day. That leaves us with one full day in Charleston.
I am interested in feedback on whether a full day at Kiawah is worthwhile or if we should plan to simply eat lunch, drive around Kiawah, maybe check out Heron Park and then leave. If we didn't spend much time on Kiawah, we could then start our Charleston visit a little early by eating dinner in downtown Charleston and walking around a bit to get a taste of the sights before spending the next, full day in the city.
- Is Kiawah worth a stop on the way to Charleston? If yes, as a day visit or short stopover?
- Or is it best to get some more time in Charleston? Skip Kiawah all together to get a total of ~2 full days in Charleston?
Keep in mind that while on Hilton Head, we will likely do a combination of swimming, biking, beach lounging, visiting Pinckney Island Wildlife Refuge or Sea Pines Preserve to get our wildlife fix in, maybe kayaking. We initially wanted to stay in Kiawah, but found it to be much more economical to use our hotel points for free nights at the Westin on Hilton Head.
We are a family that likes to take our time, enjoy the sights and have a mix of relaxation and outdoor activity.
Hilton Head to Charleston - stop at Kiawah on the way to Charleston?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Boston & Cape Cod
- 2 itinerary help (starting niagra falls)
- 3 Casual dinner in the theater district
- 4 Traveling from Seattle to Parksville BC.
- 5 Best spot to see a sunrise in Boston
- 6 Broadway Banter revived, Spring 2015!
- 7 HOW TO WEAR: BIRKENSTOCK SANDALS FOR WOMEN
- 8 Romantic destination in the US
- 9 Cleveland to Chicago by train
- 10 14 day trip advice Spokane Wa to Glacier,Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise
- 11 First time to Hawaii (Maui)
- 12 Moving out of states from Florida
- 13 Colorado Springs to Durango 9 days
- 14 Best route to Lassen from Woodside?
- 15 family road trip
- 16 4 Days in Kauai what to see and do
- 17 Alaska Trip Planning
- 18 Feedback on Idaho Itinerary
- 19 Pacific Coast Highway from Los Angeles to San Francisco
- 20 Charleston + Savannah in June
- 21 Getting from JFK to Midtown
- 22 Restaurant recomendations in the east 54th Street area, please.
- 23 NY Times magazine -- Walking New York.
- 24 Feedback needed for our book club trip to New England
- 25 Recommended Air BnB Somewhere Between Columbus and Cleveland?