I'm not a lawyer
There are so many questions on Fodors about the recently redefined NYC law disallowing apartment rentals of fewer than 30 days. Common questions are what if it's a co-op, what if it's a condo, what if it's a townhouse, what if it's a corporate apartment, why would VRBO or Homestay or Craigslist or AirBnB allow the ads if it's not legal, etc.
I hope this link to the actual law will help clear up some things.
There are probably some legal rentals out there and of course, some people will still decide to take their chances. I hope this will give people some real useful information so they can understand why so many here keep saying "it's illegal" Ultimately everyone will decide for themselves what they want to do
here are some articles that explain things too
Here's the actual NYC law about short term apartment rentals
I'm not a lawyer
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Narrowing things down for DC and Virginia
- 2 Need help planning trip to Atlanta, Alabama and then New Orleans
- 3 Burlington VT day trip
- 4 Two 64 year old buddies on A week trip
- 5 SLC and JAC?? - ski advice needed
- 6 East Coast trip including DC, New York and surrounding areas.
- 7 Kauai - a few miscellaneous questions
- 8 Two airports to choose from?
- 9 Bears and Traps. Our Grand Alaska Sea & Land Tour
- 10 Please help with daily details for Utah Park trip next month!
- 11 Apartment Rentals DC
- 12 San Francisco-Coventry Inn??
- 13 Finally!!! Santa Fe/ Albuquerque Family Christmas Break 2014
- 14 Alexandria, VA Marriott Residence Inn et al
- 15 Hiking, Horses, Having fun: Family Adventure in Yellowstone & Grand Teton
- 16 please advise on my Seattle-Vancouver itinerary
- 17 DC - Choosing a place to stay where the action is!
- 18 Acadia Carriage Rides--Which One To Do?
- 19 Portsmouth, New Hampshire
- 20 YNP, GT and Driggs 10 day trip 8/13-8/22 - great time was had by all!
- 21 Western North Carolina
- 22 Kayaking in Kauai
- 23 Beaufort, NC or Wilmington, NC?
- 24 LV-Zion-Bryce-GC trip: itenerary help
- 25 Another California/Utah/Arizona Road Trip Where to EAT