I'm not a lawyer
There are so many questions on Fodors about the recently redefined NYC law disallowing apartment rentals of fewer than 30 days. Common questions are what if it's a co-op, what if it's a condo, what if it's a townhouse, what if it's a corporate apartment, why would VRBO or Homestay or Craigslist or AirBnB allow the ads if it's not legal, etc.
I hope this link to the actual law will help clear up some things.
There are probably some legal rentals out there and of course, some people will still decide to take their chances. I hope this will give people some real useful information so they can understand why so many here keep saying "it's illegal" Ultimately everyone will decide for themselves what they want to do
here are some articles that explain things too
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Hollywood Area where to stay
- 2 Grand Canyon / Bryce / Zion in August with Teens
- 3 Staying outside DC
- 4 7 Day Photography Road trip from Vegas to Denver during Christmas
- 5 Santa Fe & Taos for Christmas week: feedback on itinerary?
- 6 Bringin Wine in by car from Mexico
- 7 Bringing alcohol into the US
- 8 Dallas, Austin, Waco in February
- 9 Seafood restaurant in San Francisco - recommendations
- 10 Hurricane Matthew damage along Florida East Coast?
- 11 Road trip from Madison, WI to Portland, OR in April, 2017
- 12 CAJUN region, plus NEW ORLEANS
- 13 New Years In Asheville with Nature and Beer on the side!
- 14 Ideas for New York
- 15 Suggestions for a Week in Portland
- 16 Going to L.A. dec18-25; Road trip to D.V. and on rt66
- 17 Christmas shopping in Sante Fe
- 18 9 days in Olympic NP and Seattle area
- 19 Road trip
- 20 What's your favorite "after theatre" place to eat in NYC??
- 21 Driving from Providence to Ohio in an '82 Volvo with a cat, but...
- 22 Getting married to a French man
- 23 3-week one-way cross country trip in June
- 24 Florida beach recommendation, please
- 25 Maine-Portland/Bar Harbor/Moosehead Lake
Here's the actual NYC law about short term apartment rentals
I'm not a lawyer