It's more than a year away, but I'm getting some ideas together for a 16-day trip to the Southwest in July 2015, and could use some advice. We're from CT, and we have 2 kids who will be 15 and 11 when we travel. Want to see a good mix of parks and cities knowing full well that it will be really hot when we go. My ROUGH plan is to fly to Phoenix, spend a couple nights there, then head to Sedona for 2 nights. Would like to visit the Grand Canyon and Lake Powell after that. Not really familiar with that area, so any advice on North Rim vs. South Rim would be appreciated, and where to stay for a couple nights. Could then do a night in Kanab before spending a couple days in Zion. Would then drive west to Vegas for a night or two, then south through the desert to Palm Springs for maybe a night. Would like to finish in San Diego, then either fly home from there or drive back to Phoenix, depending on rental car rates. Trying to pack as much in as we can while keeping driving distances manageable. Would appreciate any thoughts on this especially how many nights we should spend at each stop, and suggestions for off the path stops along the way.
Help with trip to Southwest
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Lodging in Mendocino County (Anderson Valley, Booneville, ??)
- 2 Old City -- Philadelphia -- Cocktails?
- 3 Palm Springs-Looking for Great Swimming Pool
- 4 Need Ideas for Quiet Vacation in Upstate New York
- 5 united and carry-ons
- 6 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 7 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 8 Any feedback on our roadtrip schedule would be much appreciated!
- 9 Cape Cod in early April
- 10 USA with a 3 year old
- 11 Yellowstone & Grand Tetons Wildlife
- 12 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 13 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 14 Durango-Ouray-Telluride- Mesa Verde
- 15 Near Plum Island, MA ...what to see and do?
- 16 Black Canyon of the Gunnison East Portal Road
- 17 Spending February on the Florida Panhandle
- 18 Light hiking around Santa Barbara
- 19 Best seafood restaurant in Boston
- 20 Planning help for honeymoon - likely Maui and the big island of Hawaii
- 21 Most affordable Wineries in Northern California near Napa?
- 22 Car rental through Priceline bidding
- 23 Restaurants in Charleston, SC
- 24 And now...The 100 Best Things to Eat in Philadelphia
- 25 Road Trip Sept/Oct (4 weeks) Key West-Carolina's-Nashville-Memphis-Dallas-Denver