It's more than a year away, but I'm getting some ideas together for a 16-day trip to the Southwest in July 2015, and could use some advice. We're from CT, and we have 2 kids who will be 15 and 11 when we travel. Want to see a good mix of parks and cities knowing full well that it will be really hot when we go. My ROUGH plan is to fly to Phoenix, spend a couple nights there, then head to Sedona for 2 nights. Would like to visit the Grand Canyon and Lake Powell after that. Not really familiar with that area, so any advice on North Rim vs. South Rim would be appreciated, and where to stay for a couple nights. Could then do a night in Kanab before spending a couple days in Zion. Would then drive west to Vegas for a night or two, then south through the desert to Palm Springs for maybe a night. Would like to finish in San Diego, then either fly home from there or drive back to Phoenix, depending on rental car rates. Trying to pack as much in as we can while keeping driving distances manageable. Would appreciate any thoughts on this especially how many nights we should spend at each stop, and suggestions for off the path stops along the way.
Help with trip to Southwest
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 What is the weather like in Kona in November?
- 2 Charlotte NC Lodging & Driving Question
- 3 Chattanooga to Washington DC via Blue Ridge Parkway
- 4 Warning: Recent increase in violent crime in New Orleans' French Quarter
- 5 Caklifornia & Oregon
- 6 Route 50 between Virginia and Missouri--Scenic?
- 7 Charleston, SC Hotels
- 8 Road trip to the Deep South revisited......itinerary for your perusal
- 9 NY to Asheville then country place to stay
- 10 Rapid City to Yellowstone Route
- 11 Santa Fe Area Hiking Early June - 3 full days.
- 12 Charleston, SC help
- 13 San Francisco to LA or LA to San Francisco ?!?
- 14 Seattle in July: Warwick or Maxwell hotel
- 15 middlebury vt snow
- 16 Ideas for a family on a roadtrip around Denver and Utah
- 17 Miami Marlins
- 18 Best First Thing to Do in Manhattan - & Advice re Itinerary!
- 19 Bar Harbor Maine or Mystic Connecticut in August.
- 20 Help with Moab itinerary for an overacheiver
- 21 Kauai - day trips to North shore and Waimea Canyon/Kokee State Park
- 22 Oakland CA restaurants near Fox Theater ... maybe even a hotel?
- 23 Need help with San Juan Islands lodging
- 24 Atlantic coast and mountain vacation
- 25 Deep South sept 2015