It's more than a year away, but I'm getting some ideas together for a 16-day trip to the Southwest in July 2015, and could use some advice. We're from CT, and we have 2 kids who will be 15 and 11 when we travel. Want to see a good mix of parks and cities knowing full well that it will be really hot when we go. My ROUGH plan is to fly to Phoenix, spend a couple nights there, then head to Sedona for 2 nights. Would like to visit the Grand Canyon and Lake Powell after that. Not really familiar with that area, so any advice on North Rim vs. South Rim would be appreciated, and where to stay for a couple nights. Could then do a night in Kanab before spending a couple days in Zion. Would then drive west to Vegas for a night or two, then south through the desert to Palm Springs for maybe a night. Would like to finish in San Diego, then either fly home from there or drive back to Phoenix, depending on rental car rates. Trying to pack as much in as we can while keeping driving distances manageable. Would appreciate any thoughts on this especially how many nights we should spend at each stop, and suggestions for off the path stops along the way.
Help with trip to Southwest
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Bears and Traps. Our Grand Alaska Sea & Land Tour
- 2 Do I need to buy tickets in advance for Chicago Art Institute?
- 3 Santa Barbara Itinerary Help Needed
- 4 Scouting trip for possible move to SoCal -- advice on itin, please
- 5 best area to stay in san diego
- 6 Vegas hotels for families
- 7 East Coast trip including DC, New York and surrounding areas.
- 8 Finally!!! Santa Fe/ Albuquerque Family Christmas Break 2014
- 9 Studio-size Apartments, Guest Houses for rent, Ojai and Ventura
- 10 A weekend in Boston area with Friends (including 2 teenagers)
- 11 Lake Tahoe to Yosemite: advice needed
- 12 Two airports to choose from?
- 13 Palm Desert California recommendations for dining
- 14 Beaufort, NC or Wilmington, NC?
- 15 Sonoma and Napa Wine Country - How bad is it after the quake?
- 16 San Francisco - mid October
- 17 A few NYC questions about 9/11 memorial tours and more.
- 18 Key West Dry Tortugas
- 19 Part Three of an 18 Day RV trip - Seward
- 20 Pizza Recs in the Bronx Area
- 21 Where to go to hear good Hawaiian Music in Kauai?
- 22 layover
- 23 Which cross-country route, I-40 or I-80?
- 24 Part Four of an 18 Day RV trip - Homer
- 25 Kayaking to Chinaman Hat/Kaneohe Bay Sandbar/offshore Islands in Dec?