Thanks to all the information gathered in this forum and in Fodor's Utah travel guide I have been able to pencil out an itinerary, I would like your comments and suggestions.
My husband and I will be traveling during Columbus Day week. We'll be flying from NY to Las Vegas on Sat early morning and flying out of Las Vegas on the red-eye flight a week later on saurday night.
Here is what our itinerary looks like so far:
Day 1: Arrive in Las Vegas, pick up rental car. Spend day seeing some of the sights, have a nice dinner. Go to bed early.
Day 2: Drive to Zion, about 3 1/2 hrs (Zion Lodge is booked, so we'll have to stay somewhere else nearby for 2 nights).
Take a ride in the afternoon to Kolob Canyons.
Day 3: Zion Canyon, Riverwalk/Narrows hike if possible; otherwise Emerald Ponds Trail and/or Canyon Overlook Trail.
Drive the Zion-Mt Carmel Hwy and Tunnels.
Day 4: Drive to Bryce Canyon, about 2 hrs. Stay for 2 nights.
Drive Main Park Road. Hike Navajo-Queen's Garden Combination Loop.
Day 5: Horseback tour: 1/2 day Peek-A-Boo Loop Trail.
Day 6: Drive to Moab, about 5 1/2 hrs. Stay for 2 nights.
Drive Arches Main Park Road. Maybe do a couple of the easy trails.
Day 7: Canyonlands Islands in the Sky area. Drive the park road, hike Grand View Pt and Mesa Arch Trail.
Day 8: Drive back to Las Vegas to catch late flight back to NY.
My questions are:
Is this itinerary doable? Am I packing to much in just a few days?
We are not really the athletic type, but we are not in bad shape either. How is the Narrows trail at Zion, is it realy difficult and demanding?
Would you recommend change/add/remove any hikes; or days spent in each area?
Plase help us with recommendations of things that we should not miss.
Thank you everybody for all your help!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 The Great Debate, What is Worth Precious Money and Time in NYC
- 2 Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe to Riverside, CA
- 3 Southwest charging USD15/ for early bird check in
- 4 Island of Oahu: looking for cheap accommodation
- 5 Road trip from Boston to Florida
- 6 Phone SIM
- 7 60th birthday trip to Vermont, NH, Maine in October
- 8 Need Advice For Trip with 16year old son-
- 9 Zion NP & Las Vegas with Kids for 3 days in July - Please Help
- 10 Trip Idea for Thanksgiving Break
- 11 Limited time on Maui: Advice please
- 12 Savanah Sojourn
- 13 Gotta Go To Stanford U Medical Center
- 14 ONE WAY car rental from NYC to BOS
- 15 San Francisco - Best place to see street art
- 16 Travel suggestions from Mystic, CT to Bar Harbor, Maine
- 17 Black Hills, Mount Rushmore, Badlands Trip Report
- 18 Driving from San Francisco Airport to San Rafael
- 19 Newark to Paris
- 20 A June trip to Kauai
- 21 Do you have suggestions on my first roadtrip South-West USA?
- 22 ONE DY ONE NIGHT IN LA
- 23 Avoiding Los Angeles Traffic
- 24 Transit Advisory July 4, 2016 Local Transit will be on a hoilday schedule
- 25 Napa Valley Hotel
Help with trip itinerary: Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands