Thanks to all the information gathered in this forum and in Fodor's Utah travel guide I have been able to pencil out an itinerary, I would like your comments and suggestions.
My husband and I will be traveling during Columbus Day week. We'll be flying from NY to Las Vegas on Sat early morning and flying out of Las Vegas on the red-eye flight a week later on saurday night.
Here is what our itinerary looks like so far:
Day 1: Arrive in Las Vegas, pick up rental car. Spend day seeing some of the sights, have a nice dinner. Go to bed early.
Day 2: Drive to Zion, about 3 1/2 hrs (Zion Lodge is booked, so we'll have to stay somewhere else nearby for 2 nights).
Take a ride in the afternoon to Kolob Canyons.
Day 3: Zion Canyon, Riverwalk/Narrows hike if possible; otherwise Emerald Ponds Trail and/or Canyon Overlook Trail.
Drive the Zion-Mt Carmel Hwy and Tunnels.
Day 4: Drive to Bryce Canyon, about 2 hrs. Stay for 2 nights.
Drive Main Park Road. Hike Navajo-Queen's Garden Combination Loop.
Day 5: Horseback tour: 1/2 day Peek-A-Boo Loop Trail.
Day 6: Drive to Moab, about 5 1/2 hrs. Stay for 2 nights.
Drive Arches Main Park Road. Maybe do a couple of the easy trails.
Day 7: Canyonlands Islands in the Sky area. Drive the park road, hike Grand View Pt and Mesa Arch Trail.
Day 8: Drive back to Las Vegas to catch late flight back to NY.
My questions are:
Is this itinerary doable? Am I packing to much in just a few days?
We are not really the athletic type, but we are not in bad shape either. How is the Narrows trail at Zion, is it realy difficult and demanding?
Would you recommend change/add/remove any hikes; or days spent in each area?
Plase help us with recommendations of things that we should not miss.
Thank you everybody for all your help!
Help with trip itinerary: Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 4 week family trip ideas
- 2 Washington DC in Spring?
- 3 Weather in Hawaii in January
- 4 DC in Dec-Restaurant ideas near Hilton Mark Alexandria
- 5 Central Park Fall Foliage
- 6 Relocation: Where Do We Fit In
- 7 Looking for Next Destination
- 8 Quick advice needed for 1st visit to HNL & Kauai
- 9 Arches National Park in a day
- 10 What do you do when your VRBO rental is a nightmare in Lake Geneva?
- 11 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 12 Broadway this week
- 13 East Coast to West Coast travel route
- 14 Union Square area restaurant
- 15 Packer game hotel on the bus line.
- 16 What to do x5 days after Disneyworld for couple w/no kids.
- 17 Transportation: Clearwater airport to the coast
- 18 Need good hotel for couple with teen daughter for 2 nights: shopping, plays, not over $600. Which???
- 19 Things to do in and around Westbrook, CT in November 2014
- 20 Richmond highlights?
- 21 NYC becoming a battleground for Air BnB apartment rentals
- 22 Weekend in NYC
- 23 Accommodations in Floriday keys
- 24 Booked our NYC hotel (thanks!), would like restaurant recommendations!
- 25 Drinking a beer in all 50 states for cancer reseach. Need bar suggestions!