Thanks to all the information gathered in this forum and in Fodor's Utah travel guide I have been able to pencil out an itinerary, I would like your comments and suggestions.
My husband and I will be traveling during Columbus Day week. We'll be flying from NY to Las Vegas on Sat early morning and flying out of Las Vegas on the red-eye flight a week later on saurday night.
Here is what our itinerary looks like so far:
Day 1: Arrive in Las Vegas, pick up rental car. Spend day seeing some of the sights, have a nice dinner. Go to bed early.
Day 2: Drive to Zion, about 3 1/2 hrs (Zion Lodge is booked, so we'll have to stay somewhere else nearby for 2 nights).
Take a ride in the afternoon to Kolob Canyons.
Day 3: Zion Canyon, Riverwalk/Narrows hike if possible; otherwise Emerald Ponds Trail and/or Canyon Overlook Trail.
Drive the Zion-Mt Carmel Hwy and Tunnels.
Day 4: Drive to Bryce Canyon, about 2 hrs. Stay for 2 nights.
Drive Main Park Road. Hike Navajo-Queen's Garden Combination Loop.
Day 5: Horseback tour: 1/2 day Peek-A-Boo Loop Trail.
Day 6: Drive to Moab, about 5 1/2 hrs. Stay for 2 nights.
Drive Arches Main Park Road. Maybe do a couple of the easy trails.
Day 7: Canyonlands Islands in the Sky area. Drive the park road, hike Grand View Pt and Mesa Arch Trail.
Day 8: Drive back to Las Vegas to catch late flight back to NY.
My questions are:
Is this itinerary doable? Am I packing to much in just a few days?
We are not really the athletic type, but we are not in bad shape either. How is the Narrows trail at Zion, is it realy difficult and demanding?
Would you recommend change/add/remove any hikes; or days spent in each area?
Plase help us with recommendations of things that we should not miss.
Thank you everybody for all your help!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Another Quick NYC Trip - Food Ideas?
- 2 Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Yellowstone, Tetons
- 3 Study in America
- 4 9 days from Acadia to Providence RI
- 5 Does the "Real USA" (still) exist?
- 6 Clean One bedroom for $50-$70 a week
- 7 Trip Report: 3 weeks in the Southwest, May-June 2015
- 8 Where to stay in South Carolina?
- 9 Driving route: Monument Valley to Moab on hot day
- 10 SUV v. Minivan for national park summer driving or does it not matter?
- 11 NYC itinerary 5 days
- 12 Seattle, WA to Redondo Beach, CA December
- 13 Traveling alone to Las Vegas
- 14 Florida Family vacation in California
- 15 walking it off in North Beach and Chinatown
- 16 Planning first trip to New Orleans - advice?
- 17 Itinerary advice first time to USA SF-YNP-LV-LA-SF
- 18 Philadelphia to Boston
- 19 Lake Winnipesauke, NH
- 20 Six Flags and Lake George, NY
- 21 Mokulele Airlines Hawaii
- 22 Where to stay in Hill Country in Texas
- 23 Restaurants in Sanibel/Captiva
- 24 Yosemite Visit
- 25 Staying at Belvedere in Sept--how early to make reservations?
Help with trip itinerary: Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands