Thanks to all the information gathered in this forum and in Fodor's Utah travel guide I have been able to pencil out an itinerary, I would like your comments and suggestions.
My husband and I will be traveling during Columbus Day week. We'll be flying from NY to Las Vegas on Sat early morning and flying out of Las Vegas on the red-eye flight a week later on saurday night.
Here is what our itinerary looks like so far:
Day 1: Arrive in Las Vegas, pick up rental car. Spend day seeing some of the sights, have a nice dinner. Go to bed early.
Day 2: Drive to Zion, about 3 1/2 hrs (Zion Lodge is booked, so we'll have to stay somewhere else nearby for 2 nights).
Take a ride in the afternoon to Kolob Canyons.
Day 3: Zion Canyon, Riverwalk/Narrows hike if possible; otherwise Emerald Ponds Trail and/or Canyon Overlook Trail.
Drive the Zion-Mt Carmel Hwy and Tunnels.
Day 4: Drive to Bryce Canyon, about 2 hrs. Stay for 2 nights.
Drive Main Park Road. Hike Navajo-Queen's Garden Combination Loop.
Day 5: Horseback tour: 1/2 day Peek-A-Boo Loop Trail.
Day 6: Drive to Moab, about 5 1/2 hrs. Stay for 2 nights.
Drive Arches Main Park Road. Maybe do a couple of the easy trails.
Day 7: Canyonlands Islands in the Sky area. Drive the park road, hike Grand View Pt and Mesa Arch Trail.
Day 8: Drive back to Las Vegas to catch late flight back to NY.
My questions are:
Is this itinerary doable? Am I packing to much in just a few days?
We are not really the athletic type, but we are not in bad shape either. How is the Narrows trail at Zion, is it realy difficult and demanding?
Would you recommend change/add/remove any hikes; or days spent in each area?
Plase help us with recommendations of things that we should not miss.
Thank you everybody for all your help!
Help with trip itinerary: Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands
- 1 Disney Florida - Which parks to go for 1.5 days?
- 2 Any additions to my general plan for 2 night stay in Jacksonville (no car)?
- 3 Charlotte Area Suggestions
- 4 Wailea Maui Restaurants
- 5 Traveling the U.S. by car for a long time!
- 6 Group Tahoe Ski/Snowboard Feb Trip Planning, help!
- 7 Best Cirque du Soleil show in Vegas 14 and 11 yo boys?
- 8 Savanah Sojourn
- 9 Eataly in Chicago -- Coming Soon!
- 10 One day in Washington DC
- 11 How to safely transport a newborn baby in downtown Chicago without your own car?
- 12 Which Florida Key to snorkel?
- 13 Special Chrstmas Tree
- 14 Staying at the Omni in downtown austin. Anywhere to park cheaper?
- 15 South Florida luxury hotels with a 5 year old
- 16 Help! Travel plans to USA West Coast
- 17 RIP Judy Rogers
- 18 Fun restaurants in New Orleans
- 19 Road trip across the USA - looking for suggestions.
- 20 Boston area
- 21 10 day Hawaii Vacations
- 22 2nd visit to California wine country, recommendations needed.
- 23 Maybe a trip to NYC will make my 16 year old think Mom's okay
- 24 San Francisco Hotel Help
- 25 South Lake Tahoe (end of December 2013)