Thanks to all the information gathered in this forum and in Fodor's Utah travel guide I have been able to pencil out an itinerary, I would like your comments and suggestions.
My husband and I will be traveling during Columbus Day week. We'll be flying from NY to Las Vegas on Sat early morning and flying out of Las Vegas on the red-eye flight a week later on saurday night.
Here is what our itinerary looks like so far:
Day 1: Arrive in Las Vegas, pick up rental car. Spend day seeing some of the sights, have a nice dinner. Go to bed early.
Day 2: Drive to Zion, about 3 1/2 hrs (Zion Lodge is booked, so we'll have to stay somewhere else nearby for 2 nights).
Take a ride in the afternoon to Kolob Canyons.
Day 3: Zion Canyon, Riverwalk/Narrows hike if possible; otherwise Emerald Ponds Trail and/or Canyon Overlook Trail.
Drive the Zion-Mt Carmel Hwy and Tunnels.
Day 4: Drive to Bryce Canyon, about 2 hrs. Stay for 2 nights.
Drive Main Park Road. Hike Navajo-Queen's Garden Combination Loop.
Day 5: Horseback tour: 1/2 day Peek-A-Boo Loop Trail.
Day 6: Drive to Moab, about 5 1/2 hrs. Stay for 2 nights.
Drive Arches Main Park Road. Maybe do a couple of the easy trails.
Day 7: Canyonlands Islands in the Sky area. Drive the park road, hike Grand View Pt and Mesa Arch Trail.
Day 8: Drive back to Las Vegas to catch late flight back to NY.
My questions are:
Is this itinerary doable? Am I packing to much in just a few days?
We are not really the athletic type, but we are not in bad shape either. How is the Narrows trail at Zion, is it realy difficult and demanding?
Would you recommend change/add/remove any hikes; or days spent in each area?
Plase help us with recommendations of things that we should not miss.
Thank you everybody for all your help!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 4-5 day active vacation/road trip from NY/NJ
- 2 40th in Key West
- 3 First Trip to Texas -
- 4 Beaches in Florida
- 5 Grand Circle - need to add 3 nights
- 6 San Francisco during Super Bowl week
- 7 Family Vacation for Mom's 80th Birthday
- 8 Downtown Chicago
- 9 Resort/Hotel near Port Canaveral
- 10 Driving from NY to Boston in February
- 11 Our Boston Getaway
- 12 Disney for Florida residents
- 13 DNA test re: ancestry - had it done?
- 14 Transport LGA to Grand Central
- 15 8-Hour Napali Fishing Charter with Kids?
- 16 Las Vegas and Area - Nature and Hiking
- 17 Charleston+Kiawah+Asheville+?
- 18 8 Days in Yellowstone/GTNP
- 19 What to do in San Diego
- 20 Help! Road Trip from Boulder to Oregon 2/2016
- 21 Accomodation in NYC under USD150/
- 22 Whale Watching in Kauai
- 23 Another great trip to 4 Corners area
- 24 What to do in New York?
- 25 When do school start again in August?
Help with trip itinerary: Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands