Thanks to all the information gathered in this forum and in Fodor's Utah travel guide I have been able to pencil out an itinerary, I would like your comments and suggestions.
My husband and I will be traveling during Columbus Day week. We'll be flying from NY to Las Vegas on Sat early morning and flying out of Las Vegas on the red-eye flight a week later on saurday night.
Here is what our itinerary looks like so far:
Day 1: Arrive in Las Vegas, pick up rental car. Spend day seeing some of the sights, have a nice dinner. Go to bed early.
Day 2: Drive to Zion, about 3 1/2 hrs (Zion Lodge is booked, so we'll have to stay somewhere else nearby for 2 nights).
Take a ride in the afternoon to Kolob Canyons.
Day 3: Zion Canyon, Riverwalk/Narrows hike if possible; otherwise Emerald Ponds Trail and/or Canyon Overlook Trail.
Drive the Zion-Mt Carmel Hwy and Tunnels.
Day 4: Drive to Bryce Canyon, about 2 hrs. Stay for 2 nights.
Drive Main Park Road. Hike Navajo-Queen's Garden Combination Loop.
Day 5: Horseback tour: 1/2 day Peek-A-Boo Loop Trail.
Day 6: Drive to Moab, about 5 1/2 hrs. Stay for 2 nights.
Drive Arches Main Park Road. Maybe do a couple of the easy trails.
Day 7: Canyonlands Islands in the Sky area. Drive the park road, hike Grand View Pt and Mesa Arch Trail.
Day 8: Drive back to Las Vegas to catch late flight back to NY.
My questions are:
Is this itinerary doable? Am I packing to much in just a few days?
We are not really the athletic type, but we are not in bad shape either. How is the Narrows trail at Zion, is it realy difficult and demanding?
Would you recommend change/add/remove any hikes; or days spent in each area?
Plase help us with recommendations of things that we should not miss.
Thank you everybody for all your help!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Techer : SETUP HP /TOshiba TEC*H SUPPORT CONTACT 1:800:681:7208 PRINTER b*g
- 2 Driving from FLL to Key West
- 3 Daughters/ mother 4/5 girl trip
- 4 Rules of the NY Subway
- 5 Big Sur Help!!
- 6 CT to ABQ-favorite routes?
- 7 Rolling Thunder on Sunday- how bad will traffic be?
- 8 Best weather and tips to roadtrip to west coast USA
- 9 PNC Park ~ convenient hotel?
- 10 Travel from Philadelphia to New York
- 11 Anyone use Hawaiian Airlines?
- 12 Trail Ridge Road Will be Closed This Weekend
- 13 Yellowstone/Grand Teton Camping Itinerary
- 14 10 Day Road Trip in Colorado
- 15 Road trip from arizona to seattle.
- 16 Boston for a cruise: South end? Downtown?
- 17 Help! 2nd half of trip...From GTNP, 11 days before flying out of Denver.
- 18 Best Time to Travel the West Coast (USA)
- 19 Sad News for Maine Lobster Lovers
- 20 Drive from Chicago to Yellowstone and back
- 21 Montana, Wyoming ideas including beartooth highway and little big hotn
- 22 Epic Journey East coast and back
- 23 South Dakota to Bryce Canyon and what to do in between...
- 24 Las Vegas trip report
- 25 road trip from NC to Maine in Sept.
Help with trip itinerary: Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands