Thanks to all the information gathered in this forum and in Fodor's Utah travel guide I have been able to pencil out an itinerary, I would like your comments and suggestions.
My husband and I will be traveling during Columbus Day week. We'll be flying from NY to Las Vegas on Sat early morning and flying out of Las Vegas on the red-eye flight a week later on saurday night.
Here is what our itinerary looks like so far:
Day 1: Arrive in Las Vegas, pick up rental car. Spend day seeing some of the sights, have a nice dinner. Go to bed early.
Day 2: Drive to Zion, about 3 1/2 hrs (Zion Lodge is booked, so we'll have to stay somewhere else nearby for 2 nights).
Take a ride in the afternoon to Kolob Canyons.
Day 3: Zion Canyon, Riverwalk/Narrows hike if possible; otherwise Emerald Ponds Trail and/or Canyon Overlook Trail.
Drive the Zion-Mt Carmel Hwy and Tunnels.
Day 4: Drive to Bryce Canyon, about 2 hrs. Stay for 2 nights.
Drive Main Park Road. Hike Navajo-Queen's Garden Combination Loop.
Day 5: Horseback tour: 1/2 day Peek-A-Boo Loop Trail.
Day 6: Drive to Moab, about 5 1/2 hrs. Stay for 2 nights.
Drive Arches Main Park Road. Maybe do a couple of the easy trails.
Day 7: Canyonlands Islands in the Sky area. Drive the park road, hike Grand View Pt and Mesa Arch Trail.
Day 8: Drive back to Las Vegas to catch late flight back to NY.
My questions are:
Is this itinerary doable? Am I packing to much in just a few days?
We are not really the athletic type, but we are not in bad shape either. How is the Narrows trail at Zion, is it realy difficult and demanding?
Would you recommend change/add/remove any hikes; or days spent in each area?
Plase help us with recommendations of things that we should not miss.
Thank you everybody for all your help!
Help with trip itinerary: Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands
- 1 Trip Report: New Orleans, Nov. 20 - 25, 2013
- 2 SuperShuttle - are they always so rude?
- 3 Warm and don't Drive
- 4 After 13 Years, We Returned to the Big Apple
- 5 Antelope Canyon, Zion, and Bryce advice needed
- 6 Would this still be a good NYC to Boston Route?
- 7 RV trip from Raleigh NC to Grand Canyon, Zion, Arches.. and?
- 8 Univesity of Wisconsin Madison college visit -any tips
- 9 a very short, uneventful trip report of our 10 days in south Kona
- 10 Biloxi questions again
- 11 For NYC Tourists ... How to spot a New Yorker
- 12 Roadtrip New Orleans, Vicksburg, Montgomery, Mobile, New Orleans
- 13 Heard Les Miz is Returning - Production Any Good
- 14 What is the most European looking city in the United States?
- 15 Road Trip to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho & Oregon
- 16 Traveling the pacific coast highway and national parks in one week
- 17 the Cliffs Resort at Princeville
- 18 Where is the best place to ski and stay in Lake Tahoe??
- 19 San Antonio
- 20 Sedona to Palm Springs
- 21 Family holiday to Hawaii - which islands?
- 22 NOLA 10th Anniv. Suggestions?
- 23 Zion or Death Valley for 2 days in December?
- 24 Spending a week in Palm Springs in February
- 25 Where to stay for a Baltimore/DC trip