Thanks to all the information gathered in this forum and in Fodor's Utah travel guide I have been able to pencil out an itinerary, I would like your comments and suggestions.
My husband and I will be traveling during Columbus Day week. We'll be flying from NY to Las Vegas on Sat early morning and flying out of Las Vegas on the red-eye flight a week later on saurday night.
Here is what our itinerary looks like so far:
Day 1: Arrive in Las Vegas, pick up rental car. Spend day seeing some of the sights, have a nice dinner. Go to bed early.
Day 2: Drive to Zion, about 3 1/2 hrs (Zion Lodge is booked, so we'll have to stay somewhere else nearby for 2 nights).
Take a ride in the afternoon to Kolob Canyons.
Day 3: Zion Canyon, Riverwalk/Narrows hike if possible; otherwise Emerald Ponds Trail and/or Canyon Overlook Trail.
Drive the Zion-Mt Carmel Hwy and Tunnels.
Day 4: Drive to Bryce Canyon, about 2 hrs. Stay for 2 nights.
Drive Main Park Road. Hike Navajo-Queen's Garden Combination Loop.
Day 5: Horseback tour: 1/2 day Peek-A-Boo Loop Trail.
Day 6: Drive to Moab, about 5 1/2 hrs. Stay for 2 nights.
Drive Arches Main Park Road. Maybe do a couple of the easy trails.
Day 7: Canyonlands Islands in the Sky area. Drive the park road, hike Grand View Pt and Mesa Arch Trail.
Day 8: Drive back to Las Vegas to catch late flight back to NY.
My questions are:
Is this itinerary doable? Am I packing to much in just a few days?
We are not really the athletic type, but we are not in bad shape either. How is the Narrows trail at Zion, is it realy difficult and demanding?
Would you recommend change/add/remove any hikes; or days spent in each area?
Plase help us with recommendations of things that we should not miss.
Thank you everybody for all your help!
Help with trip itinerary: Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Drinking a beer in all 50 states for cancer reseach. Need bar suggestions!
- 2 December 2014 travel. Family w/young adults
- 3 Theater Historians
- 4 I am planning a trip looking for must see tips
- 5 Triple threat storms and lava flow
- 6 Broadway Fall and Winter 2014/15
- 7 Ski Season Underway in Colorado
- 8 Nashville TN to Newark NJ
- 9 Getaway
- 10 Tennessee Alabama Louisiana
- 11 New York accommodation - apartment for family needed (winter)
- 12 New York - Quebec itinierary
- 13 Did Interstates ruin travel in America?
- 14 Driving around Grand Canyon NP?
- 15 dinah shore weekend Palm Springs
- 16 Zion NP - Grand Canyon North Rim - Las Vegas
- 17 Best City on the Gulf Coast to live?
- 18 Ideas for short driving tour around Washington DC, please
- 19 Boston hotel & transportation
- 20 Nashville Trip Report: July 2014
- 21 NBA tickets??
- 22 DiBruno Brothers - what should I buy?
- 23 Air Connections on Maui
- 24 hilton capital
- 25 New Orleans in November - too cool?