Thanks to all the information gathered in this forum and in Fodor's Utah travel guide I have been able to pencil out an itinerary, I would like your comments and suggestions.
My husband and I will be traveling during Columbus Day week. We'll be flying from NY to Las Vegas on Sat early morning and flying out of Las Vegas on the red-eye flight a week later on saurday night.
Here is what our itinerary looks like so far:
Day 1: Arrive in Las Vegas, pick up rental car. Spend day seeing some of the sights, have a nice dinner. Go to bed early.
Day 2: Drive to Zion, about 3 1/2 hrs (Zion Lodge is booked, so we'll have to stay somewhere else nearby for 2 nights).
Take a ride in the afternoon to Kolob Canyons.
Day 3: Zion Canyon, Riverwalk/Narrows hike if possible; otherwise Emerald Ponds Trail and/or Canyon Overlook Trail.
Drive the Zion-Mt Carmel Hwy and Tunnels.
Day 4: Drive to Bryce Canyon, about 2 hrs. Stay for 2 nights.
Drive Main Park Road. Hike Navajo-Queen's Garden Combination Loop.
Day 5: Horseback tour: 1/2 day Peek-A-Boo Loop Trail.
Day 6: Drive to Moab, about 5 1/2 hrs. Stay for 2 nights.
Drive Arches Main Park Road. Maybe do a couple of the easy trails.
Day 7: Canyonlands Islands in the Sky area. Drive the park road, hike Grand View Pt and Mesa Arch Trail.
Day 8: Drive back to Las Vegas to catch late flight back to NY.
My questions are:
Is this itinerary doable? Am I packing to much in just a few days?
We are not really the athletic type, but we are not in bad shape either. How is the Narrows trail at Zion, is it realy difficult and demanding?
Would you recommend change/add/remove any hikes; or days spent in each area?
Plase help us with recommendations of things that we should not miss.
Thank you everybody for all your help!
Help with trip itinerary: Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Hotel Recommendations in downtown Austin
- 2 NYC Neighbourhoods
- 3 Atlanta to Denver Straight through
- 4 Morgan Library. Been there? Places to eat nearby?
- 5 Wyndham timeshares--should we or shouldn't
- 6 Where to stay for Acadia National Park
- 7 Temecula< CA
- 8 San Diego beaches using public transportation
- 9 Car needed in New Orleans?
- 10 Road Trip from San Francisco - Hwy 1 to Carmel area or Yosemite??
- 11 Vegas hotels for families
- 12 Lunch at the Lakeside (Boathouse) restaurant in Central Park
- 13 Route from Port Angeles to Seattle.
- 14 Mt Rainier rainy/cloudy day activities
- 15 Bears and Traps. Our Grand Alaska Sea & Land Tour
- 16 10 days in Big Island and Kauai
- 17 East Coast trip in 11 full days.
- 18 New York - October with 7 yr old
- 19 Transportation help in Philly
- 20 Netrate Concepts-Hotel Pricing?
- 21 Roundtop Texas Lodging
- 22 JoeTro's San Antonio trip report
- 23 Another California/Utah/Arizona Road Trip...Itinerary Comments?
- 24 Honeymoon roadtrip SF-Seattle
- 25 Hilton Midtown New York