Thanks to all the information gathered in this forum and in Fodor's Utah travel guide I have been able to pencil out an itinerary, I would like your comments and suggestions.
My husband and I will be traveling during Columbus Day week. We'll be flying from NY to Las Vegas on Sat early morning and flying out of Las Vegas on the red-eye flight a week later on saurday night.
Here is what our itinerary looks like so far:
Day 1: Arrive in Las Vegas, pick up rental car. Spend day seeing some of the sights, have a nice dinner. Go to bed early.
Day 2: Drive to Zion, about 3 1/2 hrs (Zion Lodge is booked, so we'll have to stay somewhere else nearby for 2 nights).
Take a ride in the afternoon to Kolob Canyons.
Day 3: Zion Canyon, Riverwalk/Narrows hike if possible; otherwise Emerald Ponds Trail and/or Canyon Overlook Trail.
Drive the Zion-Mt Carmel Hwy and Tunnels.
Day 4: Drive to Bryce Canyon, about 2 hrs. Stay for 2 nights.
Drive Main Park Road. Hike Navajo-Queen's Garden Combination Loop.
Day 5: Horseback tour: 1/2 day Peek-A-Boo Loop Trail.
Day 6: Drive to Moab, about 5 1/2 hrs. Stay for 2 nights.
Drive Arches Main Park Road. Maybe do a couple of the easy trails.
Day 7: Canyonlands Islands in the Sky area. Drive the park road, hike Grand View Pt and Mesa Arch Trail.
Day 8: Drive back to Las Vegas to catch late flight back to NY.
My questions are:
Is this itinerary doable? Am I packing to much in just a few days?
We are not really the athletic type, but we are not in bad shape either. How is the Narrows trail at Zion, is it realy difficult and demanding?
Would you recommend change/add/remove any hikes; or days spent in each area?
Plase help us with recommendations of things that we should not miss.
Thank you everybody for all your help!
Help with trip itinerary: Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Relocating Tips - Mild Weather, Good Schools, Low Cost of Living
- 2 Boston Logan airport to Salem MA
- 3 Alaska trip -Labor Day weekend
- 4 5 days and 4 nights outside of San Francisco
- 5 Mesa Verde
- 6 Need help with Yellowstone and area starting in SLC
- 7 California road trip
- 8 Suggestions for road trip with children from Birmingham, AL to Grand Canyon
- 9 Seattle Hyatts
- 10 Trip Report: An Intoxicating Birthday Day-Trip in Napa
- 11 Trip to the Adirondacks
- 12 Best beach in San Diego for family vacation ages 8-16
- 13 San Diego - wher to stay
- 14 Mountain hiking in the US for kids - Fall/Spring . . .
- 15 Camping in the Adirondacks
- 16 LA, San Diego and San Francisco in 8 days -- can/should we try?
- 17 Flights from Bay Area to Orlando, Florida
- 18 Berkshires in late October
- 19 2 day in Adirondack park
- 20 No accomodation in Hana...should we forget about it?
- 21 Half Moon Bay, CA - stay there or go to Napa Valley?
- 22 NYC Clubs for live music
- 23 ONP-San Juan Islds or Victoria-Seattle - what's best itinerary for 8 days?
- 24 Three Days In Portland, Maine
- 25 LUNCH IN ORLANDO, FL