Thanks to all the information gathered in this forum and in Fodor's Utah travel guide I have been able to pencil out an itinerary, I would like your comments and suggestions.
My husband and I will be traveling during Columbus Day week. We'll be flying from NY to Las Vegas on Sat early morning and flying out of Las Vegas on the red-eye flight a week later on saurday night.
Here is what our itinerary looks like so far:
Day 1: Arrive in Las Vegas, pick up rental car. Spend day seeing some of the sights, have a nice dinner. Go to bed early.
Day 2: Drive to Zion, about 3 1/2 hrs (Zion Lodge is booked, so we'll have to stay somewhere else nearby for 2 nights).
Take a ride in the afternoon to Kolob Canyons.
Day 3: Zion Canyon, Riverwalk/Narrows hike if possible; otherwise Emerald Ponds Trail and/or Canyon Overlook Trail.
Drive the Zion-Mt Carmel Hwy and Tunnels.
Day 4: Drive to Bryce Canyon, about 2 hrs. Stay for 2 nights.
Drive Main Park Road. Hike Navajo-Queen's Garden Combination Loop.
Day 5: Horseback tour: 1/2 day Peek-A-Boo Loop Trail.
Day 6: Drive to Moab, about 5 1/2 hrs. Stay for 2 nights.
Drive Arches Main Park Road. Maybe do a couple of the easy trails.
Day 7: Canyonlands Islands in the Sky area. Drive the park road, hike Grand View Pt and Mesa Arch Trail.
Day 8: Drive back to Las Vegas to catch late flight back to NY.
My questions are:
Is this itinerary doable? Am I packing to much in just a few days?
We are not really the athletic type, but we are not in bad shape either. How is the Narrows trail at Zion, is it realy difficult and demanding?
Would you recommend change/add/remove any hikes; or days spent in each area?
Plase help us with recommendations of things that we should not miss.
Thank you everybody for all your help!
Help with trip itinerary: Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Crossville, TN in March
- 2 Another Perfect Visit to Paradise: Kauai
- 3 looking for beautiful gardens suggestions in early April
- 4 SXSW an issue?: 4 Days In Austin 8-11
- 5 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 6 Ride Share DEN to CB 3/18
- 7 Utah restaurants
- 8 Resort at the Mountain - It's Running a Rate Special
- 9 Why you shouldn't hang your purse over the back of your chair in Boston
- 10 Final dinner in NYC recommendations
- 11 need help planning a trip to Grand Hotel/Mackinac Island, MI
- 12 Another Trip to DC for baseball!
- 13 Albuquerque to Las Vegas
- 14 Great Smoky Mountains - family driving trip
- 15 10 day trip
- 16 Short Road Trip California Arizona – Less than a week
- 17 Trip Report to Pacific Northwest: August 2014
- 18 Favorite Casual D.C. Restaurants?
- 19 Help with road trip - San Fran to Whister
- 20 Student-budget trip to NewYorkCity HELP please
- 21 Sedona - ladies trips- suggestions on where to stay and time of year?
- 22 January Jaunt to the Southernmost City ~ Long with Pics!
- 23 Hotel: Union Sq. or Fisherman's Wharf?
- 24 Venice tourist travel pass
- 25 Family Beach Vacation in December