Thanks to all the information gathered in this forum and in Fodor's Utah travel guide I have been able to pencil out an itinerary, I would like your comments and suggestions.
My husband and I will be traveling during Columbus Day week. We'll be flying from NY to Las Vegas on Sat early morning and flying out of Las Vegas on the red-eye flight a week later on saurday night.
Here is what our itinerary looks like so far:
Day 1: Arrive in Las Vegas, pick up rental car. Spend day seeing some of the sights, have a nice dinner. Go to bed early.
Day 2: Drive to Zion, about 3 1/2 hrs (Zion Lodge is booked, so we'll have to stay somewhere else nearby for 2 nights).
Take a ride in the afternoon to Kolob Canyons.
Day 3: Zion Canyon, Riverwalk/Narrows hike if possible; otherwise Emerald Ponds Trail and/or Canyon Overlook Trail.
Drive the Zion-Mt Carmel Hwy and Tunnels.
Day 4: Drive to Bryce Canyon, about 2 hrs. Stay for 2 nights.
Drive Main Park Road. Hike Navajo-Queen's Garden Combination Loop.
Day 5: Horseback tour: 1/2 day Peek-A-Boo Loop Trail.
Day 6: Drive to Moab, about 5 1/2 hrs. Stay for 2 nights.
Drive Arches Main Park Road. Maybe do a couple of the easy trails.
Day 7: Canyonlands Islands in the Sky area. Drive the park road, hike Grand View Pt and Mesa Arch Trail.
Day 8: Drive back to Las Vegas to catch late flight back to NY.
My questions are:
Is this itinerary doable? Am I packing to much in just a few days?
We are not really the athletic type, but we are not in bad shape either. How is the Narrows trail at Zion, is it realy difficult and demanding?
Would you recommend change/add/remove any hikes; or days spent in each area?
Plase help us with recommendations of things that we should not miss.
Thank you everybody for all your help!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Best restaurants?! - first time to NYC!
- 2 Restaurant Recs for Minneapolis
- 3 Planning Rim2Rim Hike at Grand Canyon
- 4 Moving from Fresno CA to highpoint NC
- 5 SW Colorado/San Juan Skyway ideas?
- 6 Two nights from Sacramento to Santa Barbara: where to spend the night?
- 7 JFK 10 hour layover-World Trade Center + ?
- 8 Steamboat in August
- 9 October 2016 Hawaii trip help please
- 10 Between Naples and Fort Myers
- 11 MN lake home rental needed
- 12 Desert Southwest
- 13 Salt lake to boulder ideas
- 14 Whale watching in Bar Harbor Maine
- 15 Hawaii, January 2017.
- 16 Your favourite places in New York City
- 17 Grand Canyon From Phoenix
- 18 Napa valley getaway
- 19 Portland, Oregon, hotel: downtown or waterfront?
- 20 Help with road trip from Los Angeles to Utah
- 21 Lake Tahoe or ?
- 22 Need help with National Parks trip in 2017
- 23 OBX Corolla vs Nags Head as a Base for Sight Seeing?
- 24 Where to Spend Two Weeks in Florida in February
- 25 Extended weekend beach get away
Help with trip itinerary: Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands