Your posts on my Grand Canyon thread were so helpful, so I am back with a proposed full itinerary, revised as per your many helpful suggestions:
Dec 24: Depart LA early AM and drive to Joshua Tree National Park; picnic lunch and short hike, then Keys View; drive to ????? and stay the night
Dec. 25: Depart _________, see the Hoover Dam, drive to the Grand Canyon arriving roughly mid-afternoon (staying at Yavapai); Sunset Watching over the South Rim
Dec 26: Grand Canyon (weather permitting- morning hike via South Kaibab trail down to Cedar Ridge, climb back via Bright Angel trail, lunch, walk around...)
Dec 27: Depart Grand Canyon, drive to Sedona, stay the night there
Dec 28: Drive from Sedona to Pheonix
Dec 29: Phoenix (Shabbat)
Dec 30: Phoenix
Dec 31: Phoenix?
Jan 1: Flight home from PHX
*I know it looks like we'll be in Phoenix forever, but in fact, we won't be playing tourist at all on Friday or Saturday (at least until Sat. night) so it's really just Sunday and Monday.
Will Christmas Eve traffic be horrible leaving LA??
Where is a good place to stop Dec 24? Las Vegas?
Any particularly scenic roads to take? (And any roads to avoid?)
Do you have any hotel recommendations for Sedona and Pheonix? We are five people (ages 17-54) , if that helps, and we like cheap but clean and well-located. In Sedona, pretty much anything that fits those parameters will work, but the location of the hotel in Phoenix is much more important to us.
PHOENIX HOTEL: A mini-fridge in Phoenix is a necessity... If we could be located within the eruv, marked on this map http://www.phoenixbethjoseph.org/community.html in green two-thirds of the way down the page, that would be ideal!! Any suggestions you have would really be supremely helpful.
Thank you all so much in advance, and happy election day!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 50th in Hawaii
- 2 Las Vegas
- 3 The Big Island, Kauai, and Maui: A Songdoc Trip Report
- 4 Looking for suggestions for Washington state weekend getaways
- 5 Help finalize my Colorado activities & lodging
- 6 6 days in Boston - review itinerary & other recs needed
- 7 Seattle to Portland- ideas for places to stay?
- 8 New York overnight - dinner & after choices
- 9 Driving from New York to Atlanta,Ga
- 10 Build a Chicago itinerary?
- 11 Broadway Banter revived, Spring 2015!
- 12 traveling to Nashville
- 13 NYC Vacation Packages - Two Thumbs Up!
- 14 Alaska Trip Report: Anchorage, Denali, Seward, Juneau & Glacier Bay
- 15 Transportation Newark/High Line and Penn Station/Newark
- 16 Driving route: Monument Valley to Moab on hot day
- 17 Miami Transportation Mid-Beach to South Beach
- 18 Cody, Wyoming rodeo
- 19 Our Badlands, Black Hills, Yellowstone Adventure, June 2015
- 20 Best route to Cody?
- 21 Los Angeles 4 nghts/5days
- 22 Yosemite and Sequoia
- 23 Bath County, VA - anyone ever been?
- 24 national/state park in November
- 25 Road trip NYC to Dallas