We have an 8 day/8 night Hawaii trip coming up around Christmas with our 2 kids. We are flying out to Lihue, Kauai and flying out of Kona. The Delta flights and rental cars are reserved. Beyond that not much has been planned. We have already visited Oahu and Maui. We have a number of questions regarding the itinerary.
- Given that we only have 8 (full) days, how do we split the time between the 2 islands? We were thinking 5 nights in Kauai and 3 nights in Big Island (seems short, but we don't have a choice).
- From LIH, should we fly into Hilo or Kona? We need to decide this first so we can book the lodging and inter-island flight.
- We definitely want to see the volcano (main reason to go to B.I). We have hotel reserved at Kona for 3 nights (part of vacation package), but I am not sure if that will work fine. It looks like Kona is 3-3.5 hours away from the park. Can we view the volcano in the evening and make it to Kona? At what time can you see the red lava flowing into the sea?
- One option is to stay near Hilo for a night or two and then stay in Kona for a day for our return (9 PM flight departure back home). Is that more practical? The inter-island air is not booked yet, so we are flexible. A rental car is available for pickup at Hilo and drop off at Kona.
- Ideally, where should we stay at Kauai and Big Island? We have to stay at least one night at Kona (Pacific Beach Hotel) as part of the package. Are vacation rentals pretty safe?
- Apart from the volcano, our main interests are exploring the beaches (coming from the Upper Midwest), shallow snorkeling (not everyone is a good swimmer in our family), a little hiking and tours/sights unique to HI. What are the must-see sights?
- Can we drive to VNP in our rental car (either from Hilo or Kona) or is it better to take a tour?
Thanks in advance
Help with Kauai and Big Island itinerary
- 1 Newport, RI Questions
- 2 Rehoboth to Wilmington to Cape May - scenic route suggestions please
- 3 Brandywine Valley for one or 2 nights - museum suggestions please
- 4 Road trip Sacramento to Denver, help requested
- 5 Maine - July 5th to July 14
- 6 Best place for rafting: Moab, Taos or Durango?
- 7 First-Time Hawaii Advice
- 8 I-5 bridge over Skagit River collapses, cars with people in water |
- 9 How to plan San Diego trip
- 10 IMPORTANT! Hawaii Ocean Safety Tips!
- 11 Washington Wineries
- 12 Airport luggage tamparing
- 13 California, Northern
- 14 GROCERY STORES MAUI, HAWAII
- 15 San Francisco,Monterey, Yosemite etc.!
- 16 Visitor ocean awareness Kauai/statewide
- 17 Maui. . .where to stay for local feel
- 18 Best museums and botanical gardens in the Hawaiian Islands?
- 19 Maui Rain Forest Hike vs Haleakala Crater Hike vs Downhill Bike Ride
- 20 Advice for 2 night intro trip to Moab in early June (1-3)
- 21 Pick up north of Boston Logan
- 22 Hudson Valley to Stockbridge, MA/Berkshires
- 23 East coast tour - Part2: Phily, Washington, Niagara Falls
- 24 Kodachrome Basin State Park in Utah
- 25 Using public transit in San Diego