It's been a while since I was on here but I'm now planning a California roadtrip as part of my honeymoon in May. My husband and I are spending a week in New Orleans first, but then want to fly back to the west coast and do a roadtrip from there. We will have approximately 16-17 days and will hire a car. I thought I had it all planned out, but my schedule had us hitting Yosemite around the weekend of May 21st and I'm finding accommodation hard to come by. There appears to be more accommodation available during the week, but I'm finding it difficult to work our 'round trip' so that we hit Yosemite on week days (mainly because my husband also wants to visit San Diego zoo so we have to add a couple of days there into the mix at some stage!).
We're reasonably flexible with our itinerary but I would like to lock in some accommodation bookings before we go and I was wondering what the chances are of us being able to find accommodation near Yosemite (we're happy to stay outside the park) when we arrive there. The last thing I want is for us to turn up and not be able to find a place to sleep!
Also, I've never done any of these drives before so would appreciate any guidance on whether our draft itinerary's doable or not and whether we have long enough in each place. I had initially planned for us to fly from New Orleans to San Diego to start our roadtrip from there, but in light of the Yosemite weekend situation, I'm now thinking we should make San Diego the final stop on our trip instead (see below). Any and all suggestions and recommendations would be gratefully received.
Thurs May 12th: Fly New Orleans to Los Angeles, spend night in LA.
Fri May 13th: Drive up west coast, overnighting somewhere (suggestions welcomed)
Sat May 14th: Continue up coast to San Francisco
Sun May 15th: San Fran
Mon May 16th: San Fran
Tues May 17th: San Fran
Wed May 18th: Drive to Yosemite
Thurs May 19th: Yosemite
Fri May 20th: Sequoia National Park area
Sat May 21st: Drive to Las Vegas via Death Valley area
Sun May 22nd: Las Vegas
Mon May 23: Vegas
Tues May 24: Vegas
Wed May 25: Drive to San Diego
Thurs May 26: San Diego
Fri May 27: San Diego
Sat May 28: Return to Los Angeles
NB: We could probably fly back to the west coast a day earlier, giving us an extra day on the west coast, if that would make more sense. Also, I realise the inclusion of San Diego is what is causing me problems but my husband so seldom takes an interest in our trip planning that I figured I should really include the one thing he specifically mentioned he wanted to do on this trip!!!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Where to eat before the show?
- 2 Florida beach vacation
- 3 Florida vacation
- 4 I95
- 5 Yosemite Trip May 2017
- 6 Buying a home in NJ - need advice from locals thank you!
- 7 Rafting the Colorado
- 8 Trip to USA in July
- 9 a short trip to san francisco
- 10 Wine Country
- 11 Please help with Route 66 planning, overnight stops and detours
- 12 Driving from Provo to Grand Junction in March 2017
- 13 Arizona on a whirlwind update
- 14 Uber boston
- 15 Fall 1st time trip wine country
- 16 Where's best place to stay near volcano big island besides volcano house?
- 17 Steamboat Springs, CO
- 18 First Time Oahu/Maui
- 19 4 Nights in NM with a 10 Year Old
- 20 Camping in or near Big Bend National Park
- 21 San Diego to Oregon road trip itinerary
- 22 Kauai - Grand Hyatt and somewhere else?
- 23 28 Day Road Trip to the Northwest from Chicago
- 24 Olympic vs. Redwood NPs
- 25 Asheville to Atlanta 5 nights in between...need advice for the coast