So my fiance and I are planning to take a quick 3-day midweek honeymoon after our wedding in late August. We live in Los Angeles and are open to either driving or flying - we'd be willing to consider anything all the way up to the Vancouver/Victoria area. Our goal for the few days is to hole up at a somewhat-splurge private resort, hotel or inn that is close to nature. We'd like to have a couple amazing dinners as we are both food people, but we're not interested in driving around, exploring, or visiting wineries - we do that often on weekend trips anyway. We'd also like to rule out Santa Ynez/Santa Barbara, Palm Springs, and areas around and south of Los Angeles, as we've spent a ton of time there already and would like something a little different.
The Post Ranch Inn and the Ventana Inn in Big Sur have pretty much everything we're looking for (amazing surroundings, good food, quiet, upscale) but honestly they are both out of our price range. We're looking to spend no more than $550 per night for lodging. Is there somewhere (ideally coastal, but perhaps mountain) that maybe offers a similar experience but for a smaller cost? We've looked at the other accommodations in Big Sur - the nicer cabins at Glen Oaks are booked and everything else seems too rustic/not private enough.
We never spend more than $200 on hotels normally, so we're looking for something that's a little fancy, either with a rustic or modern vibe. If it has amazing food nearby and breakfast on-site that is a HUGE plus. Proximity to nature and a jacuzzi tub in the room is a must-have. Outdoor hottub or tub is even better.
The one big NO for us is we don't want something that has that typical "romantic B&B/inn vibe". Please, no flowery bedspreads and pillows, no overwrought drapes, no canned ideas of "romance" that include rose petals on the bed. If it looks like it was decorated by your 70-year-old great aunt, no thanks. I'm sure some of you will know what I mean.
Anyway, if any of you have any suggestions please let me know! Thanks!
Help us find a perfect honeymoon spot on the West Coast!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Seattle TrainingTrip March 17, q's
- 2 Commute from Kailua Kona to Hilo - doable?
- 3 Safe Way of renting property in Orlando
- 4 boston to nantucket: what are our options?
- 5 Yes it's March, but let's talk Christmas destinations!
- 6 Return to Utah - New Sites
- 7 Oahu ideas
- 8 Grand Circle & Wyoming
- 9 driving from San Francisco to Seattle
- 10 Feedback on Palm Springs with Kids Itinerary
- 11 Best places to move to Florida?
- 12 West Coast Bound End of March
- 13 Your favorite Glacier NP lodging and itinerary help
- 14 Philly sports fans: bar needed...and running route.
- 15 Here's how I spent my 3 hour layover in Washington, DC
- 16 Vacation rentals in Tucson
- 17 Key Largo, FL
- 18 Death Valley in June in a motorhome
- 19 Death Valley in June
- 20 travel up the coast from San Franciso to Seattle
- 21 Rodeo Near Tulsa or Woodward?
- 22 San Diego grocery stores
- 23 Gatlinburg Tennessee Itinerary suggestions
- 24 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 25 Planning help for honeymoon - likely Maui and the big island of Hawaii