So my fiance and I are planning to take a quick 3-day midweek honeymoon after our wedding in late August. We live in Los Angeles and are open to either driving or flying - we'd be willing to consider anything all the way up to the Vancouver/Victoria area. Our goal for the few days is to hole up at a somewhat-splurge private resort, hotel or inn that is close to nature. We'd like to have a couple amazing dinners as we are both food people, but we're not interested in driving around, exploring, or visiting wineries - we do that often on weekend trips anyway. We'd also like to rule out Santa Ynez/Santa Barbara, Palm Springs, and areas around and south of Los Angeles, as we've spent a ton of time there already and would like something a little different.
The Post Ranch Inn and the Ventana Inn in Big Sur have pretty much everything we're looking for (amazing surroundings, good food, quiet, upscale) but honestly they are both out of our price range. We're looking to spend no more than $550 per night for lodging. Is there somewhere (ideally coastal, but perhaps mountain) that maybe offers a similar experience but for a smaller cost? We've looked at the other accommodations in Big Sur - the nicer cabins at Glen Oaks are booked and everything else seems too rustic/not private enough.
We never spend more than $200 on hotels normally, so we're looking for something that's a little fancy, either with a rustic or modern vibe. If it has amazing food nearby and breakfast on-site that is a HUGE plus. Proximity to nature and a jacuzzi tub in the room is a must-have. Outdoor hottub or tub is even better.
The one big NO for us is we don't want something that has that typical "romantic B&B/inn vibe". Please, no flowery bedspreads and pillows, no overwrought drapes, no canned ideas of "romance" that include rose petals on the bed. If it looks like it was decorated by your 70-year-old great aunt, no thanks. I'm sure some of you will know what I mean.
Anyway, if any of you have any suggestions please let me know! Thanks!
Help us find a perfect honeymoon spot on the West Coast!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 NYC becoming a battleground for Air BnB apartment rentals
- 2 Looking for good moonstone beach hotels in cambria
- 3 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 4 Richmond highlights?
- 5 Best City on the Gulf Coast to live?
- 6 "HUMORLESS" response to Kauai comment silliness
- 7 Central Park Fall Foliage
- 8 What do you do when your VRBO rental is a nightmare in Lake Geneva?
- 9 Weather in Hawaii in January
- 10 Pet Friendly places in Myrtle Beach
- 11 Grand Teton & Yellowstone & ???
- 12 I am "The Prince of Tides"
- 13 East Coast to West Coast travel route
- 14 Relocation: Where Do We Fit In
- 15 Things to do in and around Westbrook, CT in November 2014
- 16 New York accommodation - apartment for family needed (winter)
- 17 Breckenridge in October
- 18 Three or Four Nights in Moab?
- 19 Washington DC in Spring?
- 20 Quick advice needed for 1st visit to HNL & Kauai
- 21 montana vs ft nelson bc area
- 22 Must Eats
- 23 Need condo suggestions in Destin
- 24 Restaurants in and around Asheville, NC
- 25 Florida St George's Island