So my fiance and I are planning to take a quick 3-day midweek honeymoon after our wedding in late August. We live in Los Angeles and are open to either driving or flying - we'd be willing to consider anything all the way up to the Vancouver/Victoria area. Our goal for the few days is to hole up at a somewhat-splurge private resort, hotel or inn that is close to nature. We'd like to have a couple amazing dinners as we are both food people, but we're not interested in driving around, exploring, or visiting wineries - we do that often on weekend trips anyway. We'd also like to rule out Santa Ynez/Santa Barbara, Palm Springs, and areas around and south of Los Angeles, as we've spent a ton of time there already and would like something a little different.
The Post Ranch Inn and the Ventana Inn in Big Sur have pretty much everything we're looking for (amazing surroundings, good food, quiet, upscale) but honestly they are both out of our price range. We're looking to spend no more than $550 per night for lodging. Is there somewhere (ideally coastal, but perhaps mountain) that maybe offers a similar experience but for a smaller cost? We've looked at the other accommodations in Big Sur - the nicer cabins at Glen Oaks are booked and everything else seems too rustic/not private enough.
We never spend more than $200 on hotels normally, so we're looking for something that's a little fancy, either with a rustic or modern vibe. If it has amazing food nearby and breakfast on-site that is a HUGE plus. Proximity to nature and a jacuzzi tub in the room is a must-have. Outdoor hottub or tub is even better.
The one big NO for us is we don't want something that has that typical "romantic B&B/inn vibe". Please, no flowery bedspreads and pillows, no overwrought drapes, no canned ideas of "romance" that include rose petals on the bed. If it looks like it was decorated by your 70-year-old great aunt, no thanks. I'm sure some of you will know what I mean.
Anyway, if any of you have any suggestions please let me know! Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 First Time to Seattle-Portland-Willamette Valley
- 2 time to visit statue
- 3 Charleston Itinerary Feedback Please
- 4 (Healing?) Retreat in Sedona, Az?
- 5 good restaurant near Nawiliwili port, Kauai
- 6 Restaurant Recommendations for Queens/Brooklyn/Williamsburgl
- 7 Chicago to Denver or Rapid City
- 8 how much time to visit pedestal at Statue of Liberty
- 9 New England Foliage Peeping Trip - Oct 4 to 8th
- 10 Looking to move from North Carolina to Colorado
- 11 Suggestion for Hotel by Ford Museum/Tour
- 12 Chester, CN
- 13 Northern California Gardens.
- 14 First time Colorado 1 week-itinerary help
- 15 Savannah Itinerary Feedback Please
- 16 Ridiculous Pacific Northwest Road Trip
- 17 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
- 18 Driving through Chicago area to Wisconsin
- 19 ground transportation NYC to DC and connecting to MARC
- 20 Luau Worth the Money or Not?
- 21 Is there a train from SAN (airport) to Encinitas?
- 22 Aladin tickets in NYC
- 23 transportation from Plano TX to Norman OK
- 24 Sunset at Haleakala Summit - Maui, Hawaii
- 25 Ouray to Aspen or Carbondale to Estes