So my fiance and I are planning to take a quick 3-day midweek honeymoon after our wedding in late August. We live in Los Angeles and are open to either driving or flying - we'd be willing to consider anything all the way up to the Vancouver/Victoria area. Our goal for the few days is to hole up at a somewhat-splurge private resort, hotel or inn that is close to nature. We'd like to have a couple amazing dinners as we are both food people, but we're not interested in driving around, exploring, or visiting wineries - we do that often on weekend trips anyway. We'd also like to rule out Santa Ynez/Santa Barbara, Palm Springs, and areas around and south of Los Angeles, as we've spent a ton of time there already and would like something a little different.
The Post Ranch Inn and the Ventana Inn in Big Sur have pretty much everything we're looking for (amazing surroundings, good food, quiet, upscale) but honestly they are both out of our price range. We're looking to spend no more than $550 per night for lodging. Is there somewhere (ideally coastal, but perhaps mountain) that maybe offers a similar experience but for a smaller cost? We've looked at the other accommodations in Big Sur - the nicer cabins at Glen Oaks are booked and everything else seems too rustic/not private enough.
We never spend more than $200 on hotels normally, so we're looking for something that's a little fancy, either with a rustic or modern vibe. If it has amazing food nearby and breakfast on-site that is a HUGE plus. Proximity to nature and a jacuzzi tub in the room is a must-have. Outdoor hottub or tub is even better.
The one big NO for us is we don't want something that has that typical "romantic B&B/inn vibe". Please, no flowery bedspreads and pillows, no overwrought drapes, no canned ideas of "romance" that include rose petals on the bed. If it looks like it was decorated by your 70-year-old great aunt, no thanks. I'm sure some of you will know what I mean.
Anyway, if any of you have any suggestions please let me know! Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 usa roadtrip
- 2 Eating Well In Manhatten
- 3 Restaurants in Idyllwild
- 4 How to spend a weekend in Idyllwild, CA?
- 5 arizona rte 66
- 6 8 day Road Trip! Spokane to New Orleans
- 7 Pacific Grove/Carmel CA area
- 8 Philadelphia travel ideas
- 9 Advice needed: first trip to Hawaii
- 10 Yellowstone/Glacier - a cabin with a view
- 11 West coast to East Coast in April-May 2018
- 12 Where to live in the North East
- 13 Hawaii and...where?
- 14 Short Oregon Trip
- 15 Cruising the Cs: Canyon de Chelly, Canyonlands, and Capitol Reef
- 16 Secaucus as base for New York 3 days-advice
- 17 Driving conditions from Denver to Winter Park
- 18 Another Great DC Trip
- 19 Lunch near 9/11 Memorial
- 20 Gatlinburg/Smokies trip report, with photos and captions
- 21 Black History Museum
- 22 Wash DC VRBO recommendation
- 23 Chicago 2017
- 24 How much time in Badlands?
- 25 3-day beach weekend in FL Nov for 2 adults