We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Temecula< CA
- 2 San Diego beaches using public transportation
- 3 Car needed in New Orleans?
- 4 Road Trip from San Francisco - Hwy 1 to Carmel area or Yosemite??
- 5 Vegas hotels for families
- 6 Atlanta to Denver Straight through
- 7 Lunch at the Lakeside (Boathouse) restaurant in Central Park
- 8 Route from Port Angeles to Seattle.
- 9 Mt Rainier rainy/cloudy day activities
- 10 Bears and Traps. Our Grand Alaska Sea & Land Tour
- 11 10 days in Big Island and Kauai
- 12 East Coast trip in 11 full days.
- 13 Where to stay for Acadia National Park
- 14 New York - October with 7 yr old
- 15 Hotel Recommendations in downtown Austin
- 16 Transportation help in Philly
- 17 Netrate Concepts-Hotel Pricing?
- 18 Roundtop Texas Lodging
- 19 JoeTro's San Antonio trip report
- 20 Another California/Utah/Arizona Road Trip...Itinerary Comments?
- 21 Honeymoon roadtrip SF-Seattle
- 22 Hilton Midtown New York
- 23 Bob Denver... Where are you?
- 24 Nashville - Where to stay that's in the middle of it all?
- 25 Tour companies