We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Drive from Santa Barbara to La Jolla on sunday 2 august ?
- 2 How to break up trip between San Francisco and Laguna Niguel
- 3 Marthas Vineyard Ferry Questions
- 4 Michigan advice needed
- 5 Minneapolis to Yellowstone and back.
- 6 Boston--Another Art Mission
- 7 Easy to Moderate Hikes - Moab Area
- 8 New Orleans to Savannah two weeks
- 9 Brit worried about weather in Santa Barbara !
- 10 16 Days Utah National Parks
- 11 Mill Valley California Walks and Hikes
- 12 Texas exploring for 18 days
- 13 North Fork Vineyards/ Greenport Long Island trip planning
- 14 7 days in Colorado with Family
- 15 If you could have one meal in Vegas, what would it be?
- 16 Day Trip Reports? May/June
- 17 Taos area Spa or Resort Hotels
- 18 Visiting NYC - stay in Herlem or Jersey City?
- 19 Magazine St. and Garden District favorites
- 20 A quick trip to New Orleans - Dec 2010
- 21 large suitcase as carry-on on amtrak train
- 22 First Trip to New Orleans
- 23 Las Vegas Show Advice for Beatles Fan
- 24 TRYP Hotel in NYC?
- 25 Off the beaten track in the deep south
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure