We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Las vegas and Grand canyon trip with parents ( 4 days)
- 2 East Coast Road Trip
- 3 West Coast Road Trip
- 4 Planning for Fall Foliage in NE, Oct 2015
- 5 suggestions for mobile auto repair glass company in utah
- 6 advice for San jose to Napa limo
- 7 Which Florida Key for one month stay with infant?
- 8 Need Minnesota leaf color reports
- 9 Glacier NP & Yellowstone NP 8 day trip Itinerary
- 10 Road Trip in January - New Orleans to Lexington
- 11 Car Needed in Austin?
- 12 Delaware - what do you recommend?
- 13 6 Days in NYC and then to Orlando - Best way to fly?
- 14 Provincetown: Parking in City Lots and Restaurant Recommendations
- 15 Relaxing Honeymoon Week
- 16 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 17 Albuquerque to Vegas drive and sights
- 18 Looking For Warm Vacation Spot for December in US With 16 Months Old
- 19 Maui itinerary
- 20 One day trip to New york or Washington DC (First visit)!
- 21 Portland, OR to Crater Lake to Portland- most scenic route
- 22 4 week family trip ideas
- 23 Pirateland SC
- 24 4 day trip from Denver this fall - First time in the Rockies - Where to go?
- 25 San Diego with Kids