We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 http://www.greathealthreview.com/max-test-ultra/
- 2 Boston to Naples florida
- 3 http://www.greathealthreview.com/nutraher-lean/
- 4 Hotel in Reno
- 5 Visiting Glacier Nat'l Park with 18 mo old.
- 6 Favourite San Francisco hotel / New things to see??
- 7 Retiring to Tucson
- 8 Bar Harbor to Boston
- 9 Best Hotel guest amenities
- 10 Santa Fe Itineray
- 11 Driving from Miami to Florida Keys - electronic tolls?
- 12 Coastal California trip with toddlers in April
- 13 SF special dinner for 70 birthday
- 14 Big Island of Hawaii - itinerary ideas for 7-10 day trip
- 15 Northwest National Parks Tour
- 16 Trinity Site, NM
- 17 Amtrack: Denver to California?
- 18 Moab Weekend with Kids
- 19 North Carolina airports
- 20 best health clubs with lap pools
- 21 10 days vacation in California
- 22 Dallas for the first time. Rent car? Activities?
- 23 A Puffin, a Whale, and a Moose walk into a bar. In Maine
- 24 Tampa Suborns vs Orlando Suborns? To Raise a Family.
- 25 which airport when going to Stamford,CT?
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure