We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 1-(800) 9272480 QuickBooks PRO tech Support number Intuit PRO number_SMITH
- 2 Los Angeles Area Restaurants - 2017 Edition
- 3 Trip to San Francisco in Dec 2017
- 4 Wilmington DE questions
- 5 San Francisco to Seattle in a day (fires in Oregon)
- 6 New England Tour
- 7 4shared music
- 8 50th wedding anniversary in Hawaii??
- 9 Kauai: First Trip Help Please
- 10 Inexpensive Restaurants Near Canyonlands and Capitol Reef?
- 11 Getting from Seatac airport to downtown Seattle
- 12 2 Grannies, 2 parents & 1 three-yr-old
- 13 NYC 9/11 Tour - best options?
- 14 Muir Woods in October
- 15 help me plan a Cali trip
- 16 Dining after show at Sondheim Theatre
- 17 Road trip during Winters in Utah-NV
- 18 Southern California Sand Dunes - Oceano Dunes
- 19 10-hour MIA layover ideas?
- 20 Alaska trip rough Itinerary for Sep 2017
- 21 Mesa Verde question
- 22 Planning our Move
- 23 Road Trip Travel Advice - 2 Days or 3?
- 24 Great Smoky Mountains trip: Tennessee or North Carolina?
- 25 Best options for viewing, learning about lava flows on Big Island?
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure