We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 San Diego Marriott Marquis or Omni?
- 2 Steamboat in August
- 3 Suggestions - summer day in New Haven
- 4 Cape cod Labor Day
- 5 Calming Stay near Seattle/Vacouver??
- 6 JFK 10 hour layover-World Trade Center + ?
- 7 Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion itinerary
- 8 Los Angeles and Beyond
- 9 A Gem of a Restaurant in Long Beach, CA
- 10 Even Disney isn't Disney anymore
- 11 US Open Tennis
- 12 Aussie family heading to the US for the first time
- 13 Hawaii with limited time
- 14 Glacier-Banaff-Jasper NPs Car Rental
- 15 Trip report -- Vermont: Bennington and Manchester
- 16 Portland to mt St. Helens and my rainer
- 17 Grand Teton Questions
- 18 October 2016 Hawaii trip help please
- 19 Your favourite places in New York City
- 20 Belmond Charleston, Mills House Wyndham or Spectator?
- 21 Trip Report: Charleston SC, Hilton Head, Savannah GA and Jekyll Island
- 22 5-7day one way Cruise or 26 glacier day cruise
- 23 where do the locals eat in Portland, Maine
- 24 One night one day in dallas accommodation
- 25 Help with first road trip - southeast us in January?
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure