We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Driving to Minnesota from Jacksonville fl help
- 2 Intimate Destination Wedding location help
- 3 Florida Keys
- 4 Coastal California trip with toddlers in April
- 5 Where to Stay in Philly in April?
- 6 Moving soon (blindly!) and would love suggestions
- 7 Northwest National Parks Tour
- 8 9 am - 5pm layover LAX - what to do?
- 9 Where to stay in Glacier NP
- 10 Hawaii
- 11 Moving to a new state
- 12 NYC - 10 Nights - Itinerary Feedback
- 13 Toying with Maine/Vermont road trip
- 14 Road trip to NP: from Denver to San Francisco or the other way around?
- 15 Pacific Northwest with daughters
- 16 How many states have you been to?
- 17 Kauai planning help
- 18 travel to Oahu (waikiki)
- 19 Day trip to the North Shore Kauai
- 20 Fine dining in South shore area of Kauai
- 21 Hotel Valencia, San Antonio RiverWalk
- 22 Palm Springs restaurant suggestions.
- 23 USA, Trip to the south
- 24 Ferry info
- 25 Italian Food, Palm Desert
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure