We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 New York City Restaurants
- 2 Dining in D.C.
- 3 Lunch with little girls UWS?
- 4 Place for a drink where kids are allowed? An NYC question.
- 5 Hotels in LA ... I know...how long is a piece of string type question...
- 6 Seeking advice from year round Tucson residents
- 7 Charleston, SC Beaches
- 8 9 Day Trip to Yosemite, Oregon and Washington State
- 9 traveling Amtrak cross country
- 10 Jersey City Parking
- 11 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 12 Washington DC Metro
- 13 AirBnB is illegal in San Francisco,
- 14 Best Glacier viewing (by boat) from Seward or Whittier
- 15 Spring Break in California: San Francisco, Yosemite and up the coast
- 16 Little Bighorn Battlefield & Yellowstone
- 17 Camping Summer of 2015 Yellowstone? Yosemite? GT?
- 18 Las Vegas to Los Angeles via Death Valley
- 19 San Diego/Los Angeles Trip with Teens
- 20 Alaska cruise and land
- 21 Grand Circle Itinerary Utah
- 22 Suggestions for road trip with children from Birmingham, AL to Grand Canyon
- 23 Sampling Ethnic Las Vegas trip report
- 24 NYC taxi vs car service
- 25 rain in Kauai