We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 searching for urban master planned community
- 2 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 3 Condos near Disney World
- 4 Prince Philip Cruise (Whittier) vs Kenai Fjords (Seward)
- 5 Photos from Texas Christmas Road Trip
- 6 Business in San diego and then a weeks vacation?
- 7 family celebration trip
- 8 New England September
- 9 San Francisco-renting a car for a day
- 10 Deep South sept 2015
- 11 San Francisco hotel in Fisherman's Wharf or Union Square
- 12 Hawaii Group Travel
- 13 Austin Food Trucks
- 14 New York To Ashville NC
- 15 January Jaunt to the Southernmost City ~ Long with Pics!
- 16 First Trip to California with Family of 6
- 17 Fmpden, are you there?
- 18 Group of 10 adults to Hawaii
- 19 Planning Christmas in NYC-is it nuts?
- 20 Southern NJ and Bucks County PA - how's it look?
- 21 Train from Memphis to New Orleans
- 22 Charleston Islands
- 23 Family Spring Break 2015
- 24 Car Rental West Palm Beach
- 25 san diego or nearby area