We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 My frist trip to Honolulu, need some help please
- 2 Need advise on route to Natchez from the coast and on my itinerary
- 3 JoeTro's San Antonio trip report
- 4 Please advise: Mobile Natchez Nola or Mobile Nola Natchez Nola?
- 5 Where to stay for Acadia National Park
- 6 Puerto Rico in December - how much can we do?
- 7 East Coast trip in 11 full days.
- 8 what to do in the St. Louis area Oct.12 thru Oct19
- 9 Cape Cod
- 10 San Francisco - mid October
- 11 Panama City beach or other suggestion
- 12 Navajo guide in Canyon de Chelly?
- 13 San Diego with Kids
- 14 Tour companies
- 15 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 16 NYC Neighbourhoods
- 17 New York - October with 7 yr old
- 18 New York City Borough Walking: Where for Diverse Flavorful Neighborhoods?
- 19 Something to do besides drink wine in Sonoma.
- 20 Which botanical garden is the best in Kauai?
- 21 Road Trip! Philadelphia to Montreal and Quebec
- 22 Where to go to hear good Hawaiian Music in Kauai?
- 23 New York itinerary for 5 or 6 days
- 24 Getting around the Big Island
- 25 Where to go? Family looking for the perfect vacation spot.