We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 September Travel
- 2 July 4th fireworks in NYC
- 3 Parking in Boston
- 4 60th birthday trip to Vermont, NH, Maine in October
- 5 Travel advice for travel from Portland to San Diego
- 6 Jimmy Carter teaches Sunday School in Plains, Georgia
- 7 San Francisco to Seattle road trip
- 8 Florida - East Coast vs. Gulf Coast - opinion asap
- 9 Royal Kahana Maui
- 10 Day trip suggestions from Frankenmuth
- 11 Need Help with Kauai Condo Choices
- 12 Road trip out west
- 13 Best Brunswick Stew in Norfolk, Va
- 14 Need Northeast itinerary ASAP
- 15 Lake Chelan
- 16 Gabfest in Fredericksburg VA
- 17 What's the 14th Street area like?
- 18 1st trip to Colorado
- 19 Mystic CT
- 20 Mystic, Portland, Camden, Bar Harbor
- 21 Portland, Crater Lake and coast to LA
- 22 NJ to Sunset Beach, NC
- 23 Las vegas +21
- 24 Your favourite places in New York City
- 25 Best areas to stay from Dunedin to St Pete Beach?
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure