We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Seattle Transportation??
- 2 2 weeks in California++ in April - Need suggestions on itinerary
- 3 Car Rental - NYC help me figure out logistics
- 4 Specific Hotel & Activity Help Seattle - Sheraton or Switch?
- 5 Anyone familiar with America Car Rental?
- 6 Glacier, Yellowstone, Teton Road Trip
- 7 Favorite Casual D.C. Restaurants?
- 8 Drive from San Francisco to Seattle
- 9 Lake Las Vegas Hotels Properties: Any favorites?
- 10 Zion the narrows
- 11 Friendship, fiddling, and freezing in Boston
- 12 Mendocino - Sonoma
- 13 16 Days in Utah and Colorado with Our 2 Young Boys!
- 14 Twenty Nine Palms to Dana Point, CA
- 15 Cell phone service in Moab
- 16 New Orleans - good side trip in a car?
- 17 Girls Weekend Trip to Sarasota/Tampa Florida Area
- 18 Advice on Roadtrip
- 19 Another Trip to DC for baseball!
- 20 Old Town Alexandria Restaurants?
- 21 Where to eat in & around San Diego
- 22 Chicago - Girl Scout Itinerary
- 23 Tallest and largest living Saguaros at Saguaro National Park
- 24 Fall trip, best location to stay in Vermont. Need help please.
- 25 trip from Memphis, TN to San Antonio, TX