We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Seattle-Tacoma Airport to downtown Seattle
- 2 Another Southwest Airlines Early Bird Question
- 3 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 4 culpepper
- 5 Broadway Banter 2014: Starting off with book recommendation
- 6 Keystone, CO & area - inside activities?
- 7 Fancy dining
- 8 Seattle, Portland, and day trips all around
- 9 Need help with 2 days in Yellowstone with West Yellowstone Lodging
- 10 Fear of driving in San Francisco/USA
- 11 Help w/ River Cruise Company-OH to Mississippi-end@New Orleans-Fall 2014
- 12 Amtrak Train from California to Oregon or Washington
- 13 Road Trip SW
- 14 Where to stay on Kauai...does time of year really matter?
- 15 vegas with two teens 13 & 14yo
- 16 Yellowstone 3 day itinerary advice
- 17 Week in Colorado Springs with 9 & 7 year old. Advice
- 18 Top Of the Rock Reservations
- 19 Help w road trip from Huntington Beach to SF, skipping LA area
- 20 Ideas for 1st time trip to LA/Santa Monica/Hollywood with 16 yr old
- 21 Charlotte restaurant help
- 22 3 days, 4 nights in Denver
- 23 Concert at Red Rocks in CO
- 24 Itinerary opinions
- 25 moving to florida