We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Black Canyon of the Gunnison East Portal Road
- 2 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 3 Yellowstone & Grand Tetons Wildlife
- 4 Spending February on the Florida Panhandle
- 5 Old City -- Philadelphia -- Cocktails?
- 6 Any feedback on our roadtrip schedule would be much appreciated!
- 7 Near Plum Island, MA ...what to see and do?
- 8 Light hiking around Santa Barbara
- 9 united and carry-ons
- 10 Best seafood restaurant in Boston
- 11 Planning help for honeymoon - likely Maui and the big island of Hawaii
- 12 Most affordable Wineries in Northern California near Napa?
- 13 Car rental through Priceline bidding
- 14 Restaurants in Charleston, SC
- 15 Lodging in Mendocino County (Anderson Valley, Booneville, ??)
- 16 Durango-Ouray-Telluride- Mesa Verde
- 17 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 18 And now...The 100 Best Things to Eat in Philadelphia
- 19 Road Trip Sept/Oct (4 weeks) Key West-Carolina's-Nashville-Memphis-Dallas-Denver
- 20 Philadelphia
- 21 Arizona road trip any changes?
- 22 USA with a 3 year old
- 23 First family ski trip
- 24 NYC theatre broadway
- 25 Need Ideas for Quiet Vacation in Upstate New York