We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Places to stay in TX...?
- 2 Need a short term apartment in BOSTON
- 3 Roadtrip in the South. Help on when to go!
- 4 Alabama vs. Florida Beaches
- 5 Itinerary Advice for SLC - Moab - Zion
- 6 NYC - Sargent - Sorolla
- 7 Best Place to Stay in Asheville, North Carolina with 80 year old dad
- 8 San Fran to LA via PCH
- 9 Silverthorne
- 10 Another Quick NYC Trip - Food Ideas?
- 11 Best Affordable Hotel to Stay in Montana - Deborah
- 12 Highway 1 motels
- 13 New Orleans Best Guided Tours
- 14 Overwhelmed by Alaskan shore excursion choices
- 15 San Diego Clothing Help (woman)
- 16 Alaska itinerary - Anchorage, Seward, Denali, Juneau.
- 17 San Antonio
- 18 11 days SE coast road trip
- 19 Kauai Eats... Recommendations??
- 20 Getting around in NYC
- 21 Mountains, Hiking and Wildlife in Fall
- 22 Should I cancel Florida vacation?
- 23 Looking for pretty waterfront hotel for weekend trip from Detroit
- 24 3.5 weeks in the Deep South
- 25 International student, applying for school
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure