We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure
- 1 Pix from Paradise (Kauai)
- 2 6 Reasons Hawaii Will Ruin Your Life
- 3 Denali Bus Tour Evaluation
- 4 Need a Good family restaurant near Disney World
- 5 Heard Les Miz is Returning - Production Any Good
- 6 Sedona to Palm Springs
- 7 Univesity of Wisconsin Madison college visit -any tips
- 8 Would this still be a good NYC to Boston Route?
- 9 Where to stay in Kauai in December?
- 10 hawaii for 10 weeks
- 11 The impossible dream: Bypassing I-95 between DC and Richmond
- 12 Traveling the pacific coast highway and national parks in one week
- 13 San Francisco Hotel Help
- 14 Question about Boulder area
- 15 RV trip from Raleigh NC to Grand Canyon, Zion, Arches.. and?
- 16 Fort Lauderdale weather in late January
- 17 For NYC Tourists ... How to spot a New Yorker
- 18 What is the most European looking city in the United States?
- 19 Biloxi questions again
- 20 San Francisco - Stu Dudley's Recommendations
- 21 Madison Square Garden
- 22 SuperShuttle - are they always so rude?
- 23 Inexpensive Weekend Getaway- New England
- 24 NOLA 10th Anniv. Suggestions?
- 25 Trip Report: New Orleans, Nov. 20 - 25, 2013