We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Epson SET-UP CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 Epson PRINTER Technical SUPP0RT
- 2 Santa Barbara Hotels
- 3 How much cash do you travel with?
- 4 Miami for 2 days
- 5 Santa Fe Itineray
- 6 Washington to Oregon where I need help
- 7 Outlet Mall in New Orleans
- 8 Saratoga Springs, NY - affordable hotel?
- 9 Ideas for month-long CA/WA/OR road trip
- 10 Default Vegas-GC-Antelope-Bryce-Zion-Vegas
- 11 Quick road trip
- 12 Oregon Coast road trip
- 13 More problems for Big Sur
- 14 PNC Park ~ convenient hotel?
- 15 Great Falls or Helena?
- 16 South Dakota to Bryce Canyon and what to do in between...
- 17 Boston area hotels
- 18 NYC opinions please! 2nt (shows & meals w/1st timer)
- 19 Newark Intl Airport-Long Term Parking
- 20 Atlanta to Orange Beach, AL
- 21 Epic Journey East coast and back
- 22 Visiting Parks by Car (SD, WY, CO)
- 23 11 Day Road Trip/Backpacking Trip to Utah's NPs, Looking for Suggestions.
- 24 place to eat and Grocery btn Salt lake city and Zion Canyon?
- 25 Amtrak California Zephyr and Yosemite waterfalls
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure