We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Alabama vacation "shark teeth fossils"
- 2 Roadtrip July 2017
- 3 Road trip to NP: from Denver to San Francisco or the other way around?
- 4 Help Please - NYC Questions and Plans
- 5 A Puffin, a Whale, and a Moose walk into a bar. In Maine
- 6 Day trip to Disney, Orlando
- 7 Amtrak prices go up and down?
- 8 SF special dinner for 70 birthday
- 9 Saturday traffic heading to the Outer Banks
- 10 Washington DC in mid May. Questions!
- 11 Restaurant suggestion in Venice, Fl
- 12 Westhester/Bronx/Yonkers area event planning
- 13 Retiring to Tucson
- 14 10 days vacation in California
- 15 Summer Vacation Ideas
- 16 Naples Hotel and Everglades
- 17 Grand Canyon solo - advisable?
- 18 Southwest Road Trip in Oct
- 19 Utah National Parks visit
- 20 Renting an RV to Tour NM
- 21 Pet Friendly accommodations midway
- 22 Big Island of Hawaii - itinerary ideas for 7-10 day trip
- 23 Favorite lodging near Acadia NP? Maine in October?
- 24 Driving from Miami to Florida Keys - electronic tolls?
- 25 Hotel in Reno
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure