We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Finding flights and hotels globally
- 2 USA and Canada in 2 months
- 3 Is the New York subway safe?
- 4 What is timeshare in spiritual sense.
- 5 Skiing New Mexico
- 6 Sacramento to State College, PA in late November
- 7 What do you think about Asian tourist manner?
- 8 Hotel in Newton outside Boston - need transportation and related advice
- 9 Sampling Ethnic Las Vegas II
- 10 Where to from Tampa?
- 11 Angels Crest and Rim of the World Scenic Drives: Mid-November 2014
- 12 Drive Dallas To New Orleans - Best Food Stops!!
- 13 Need ideas - hGirls' trip to Chicago
- 14 Did Interstates ruin travel in America?
- 15 Chicago O'Hare to Downtown
- 16 Three nights in Chicago -- a report
- 17 Trip Report to Pacific Northwest: August 2014
- 18 I am turning 60 and boy do I need help with my trip!
- 19 Relocation: Where Do We Fit In
- 20 What do you do when your VRBO rental is a nightmare in Lake Geneva?
- 21 Thinking about moving from PA to Florida (Dr. Phillips area of Orlando)
- 22 Saturday arrival Seattle airport to Lake Crescent
- 23 Grand Canyon , Zion and Bryce Itinerary suggestions
- 24 Drive from Grand Canyon to Prescott next week
- 25 Houston Weekend Planning Help Needed, please