We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Road trip October
- 2 Annapolis to Boston
- 3 NEEDED: Travel Agent for Honeymoon in Hawaii
- 4 Ticket to Matilda on 7/16, NYC
- 5 Seeing An "American" Icon
- 6 Hiking - United States
- 7 Short Northern Oregon Coast Roadtrip
- 8 Honeymoon Suggestions
- 9 Rail from New York to Washington, D.C.
- 10 DC/MD/VA GTG in the Fall
- 11 Solo Trip to Seattle on a Budget
- 12 Trip tos Switzerland and Italy
- 13 GTG Boston-Cambridge July 12
- 14 Best rest area on Route 81 Sourht through Virginia
- 15 Road trip from DC to NYC--help with itinerary?
- 16 Rose Parade Novice
- 17 NYC itinerary 5 days
- 18 Pt. Reyes with kids
- 19 Help tweak my Colorado itinerary
- 20 Quick NYC weekend with 6 yr old
- 21 Good Thai food in Vegas
- 22 Vegas Where to Start
- 23 Steak dinner in Las Vegas
- 24 Need anniversary dinner in Boston
- 25 Colter Bay Village - GTNP question
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure