We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Seattle to San Francisco 3 weeks
- 2 GTG Boston-Cambridge July 12
- 3 Kauai Kona Coast Resort Beachboy
- 4 Trip to Colorado in one week, RMNP
- 5 Western U.S. Road trip
- 6 Family trip to Arizona/Utah National Parks
- 7 Places to visit with a one year old between MA and WV.
- 8 Transport LGA to Grand Central
- 9 Casual dinner in the theater district
- 10 Boston--Another Art Mission
- 11 Easy to Moderate Hikes - Moab Area
- 12 16 Days Utah National Parks
- 13 Driving from Denver to Ouray Colorado and back in late August
- 14 Seattle plus: San Juan Island, Victoria, or Vancouver?
- 15 Returned from Sedona
- 16 15 Nt Feb Trip (7 in Waikiki). Possible to do South Kauai & Big Island?
- 17 Washington DC: your favorite part of your visit
- 18 Drive time from Lynwood to CenturyLink Field
- 19 New Orleans logistics
- 20 First Trip to New Orleans
- 21 North Fork Vineyards/ Greenport Long Island trip planning
- 22 North Carolina Coast
- 23 hawaii location for young couple needed
- 24 Mt Rushmore/Badlands late March?
- 25 Wildlife hike in Colorado Springs
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure