We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 6 days in Boston with kids - a lovely family vacation
- 2 My CA itinerary
- 3 Best route in winter from Washington DC to Niagara Falls
- 4 Retiring to Colorado
- 5 Help!! Need a Good NYC car service Please
- 6 NYC Suggestions - Six Week Trip…?
- 7 Charleston and Asheville
- 8 4 days in Colorado in December with kids
- 9 On the Road: from Texas to Georgia. questions about NC
- 10 Los Angeles one night only mid week
- 11 Family vacation itinerary pointers
- 12 5 day Colorado itinerary- anniversary trip
- 13 Best MGM owned hotel on the Las Vegas Strip?
- 14 Road trip Washington NY Boston
- 15 Ft Lauderdale Hotels on the beach with Balconies
- 16 Restaurant recomendations in the east 54th Street area, please.
- 17 NYC: (Mostly) Solo, and (Mostly) No Top Tens!
- 18 Warning About Dollar Rent a Car in Lower Manhattan
- 19 Xmas in new york
- 20 Sanibel-Captiva adult getaway
- 21 Myrtle Beach, N.C.
- 22 Best quality lodging Solitude Utah
- 23 Drive from San Francisco to Seattle
- 24 Casino Del Sol Resort Tucson
- 25 Will be in Palm Springs CA November 14-29, 2015
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure