We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Unique & off the beaten path accomodations for Nature Lovers
- 2 National Park itinerary- Utah, Wyoming
- 3 Do foreign visitors need special car insurance?
- 4 Favorite Casual D.C. Restaurants?
- 5 New England Road Trip- RI, MA, NH, ME
- 6 Seattle Visit April
- 7 Yellowstone in late Sept - early October
- 8 Dulles to DC at 2:00 a.m with kids - Taxi or Rental Car.
- 9 Grand Teton in October
- 10 Dublin International Customs / Connections
- 11 Seattle to LA (or not).
- 12 Morning in miami
- 13 Cumberland Island and Surrounding Area
- 14 Trip Update: Road trip from GA to NY on student budget
- 15 Whidbey Island inns that allow kids
- 16 1 day in the Tampa/St Pete's area- what to do?
- 17 Best destination for east coast beach vacation in August?
- 18 Yet Another Yellowstone/Glacier/Grand Teton Trip Request For Help
- 19 Driving routes to Washington, D.C.
- 20 Is Stars Deli still there, 53rd and Lex?
- 21 trip outside of San Francisco with kids
- 22 Acadia National Park/New England States
- 23 Shenandoah National Park
- 24 Unique but reasonable restaurants in Las Vegas
- 25 Bears and Traps. Our Grand Alaska Sea & Land Tour