We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Southern Cali itinerary help
- 2 Our explorations of the Hudson Valley & Catskills
- 3 Restaurants close to King's Station?
- 4 Overnight tour from New York to see Washington, D.C.
- 5 2 months road trip out west - need one way renting mini RV
- 6 chicago to hibbing
- 7 Historial/Culture-filled restaurants in Savannah, and Atlanta!
- 8 Luxury Accommodations Motel-Machesney Park, IL, Janesville, WI
- 9 Hudson Valley Drive Suggestions
- 10 Oklahoma - Dallas - Houston - New Orleans - Orlando
- 11 San Diego July 2016 - an FYI
- 12 Family vacation itinerary pointers
- 13 Coronado, La Jolla, or Other?
- 14 Where to stay in Missoula?
- 15 MANN FAMILY FARM- BOLINAS CA: Do You Know This Area?
- 16 San Diego
- 17 Driving from south Florida to San Diego late September...where to stop?
- 18 Itinerary Critique: BNP/Mt.R/YNP/Jac
- 19 Driving at Night in YNP
- 20 Help with VT/NH driving trip in October
- 21 Restaurant for lunch between Atlanta and Savannah
- 22 Visiting Mount Washington - interesting stops along I-91?
- 23 Pacific coast road trip
- 24 My son's first day in New York
- 25 The Manhattan Project - The Maitais Return To The Big Apple
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure