We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Best restaurant in Little Italy?
- 2 Week in Colorado
- 3 Moving to Dallas
- 4 Cape Cod visit in August
- 5 Florida Car Rental
- 6 Buying wine New York City
- 7 Stowe, Vermont in September
- 8 duty free question with connecting flights to US
- 9 Holland Tulip Festival
- 10 Is this a new record for spam?
- 11 Portland, Or. to Seattle & Vancouver Canada and Back
- 12 Theater Districy/Midtown NYC Hotel Suggestions
- 13 Great eats Portland, Seattle, Vancouver
- 14 Nashville Public Transportation
- 15 Yellowstone/GTNP trip booked! Now need tour advice please.
- 16 Who offers multi-island guided birding trips in Hawaii?
- 17 Carmel- Tickle Pink
- 18 Denver to Rocky Mt Nat Park in august
- 19 DC area hotel for end of June...
- 20 BYOB in New York City
- 21 Where to visit driving through coast of Maine
- 22 Quick trip to New Mexico
- 23 Ferry to Nantucket
- 24 Weekend trip wine-tasting on Long Island
- 25 route tips Ashland OR to Durango, Pasgosa Springs
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure