We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Alaska trip -Labor Day weekend
- 2 Mesa Verde
- 3 A tour of an Amish Community near Midland MI
- 4 Vail or Aspen in summertime?
- 5 Half Moon Bay, CA - stay there or go to Napa Valley?
- 6 Amtrak Train from California to Oregon or Washington
- 7 LUNCH IN ORLANDO, FL
- 8 Another Southwest Airlines Early Bird Question
- 9 December Break Need Recommendations for Southern Travel
- 10 Need help with Yellowstone and area starting in SLC
- 11 Heading to Maine in September - Where are the moose?
- 12 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 13 Hiking Arches or Canyonlands National Park in fall?
- 14 Bath County, VA - anyone ever been?
- 15 ONP help
- 16 NYC Clubs for live music
- 17 Trip to the Adirondacks
- 18 No accomodation in Hana...should we forget about it?
- 19 NEW YORK CITY!!!
- 20 Beachfront house rental - Fort Walton Beach/ Destin area
- 21 Seattle Hyatts
- 22 Detroit area getaway - outside of the city
- 23 Hearst Castle - Is the Grand Rooms tour really the best for first timers?
- 24 Coastal New England Road trip
- 25 Seattle: Something Different?