We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Taxi from Honolulu airport to hotels
- 2 San Diego Sunset or La Jolla
- 3 Hamilton - Are There Bad Seats at the Rodgers?
- 4 November redwoods trip
- 5 Pls help keep dolphins happy & healthy
- 6 JFK TO MANHATTEN
- 7 Chinese restaurants in D.C.?
- 8 Charleston - how long to stay?
- 9 Road Trip/Excursions for a weekend outside of Denver
- 10 Mnnpls--what to do, culture and food
- 11 Are you sick from Alaskan tour?
- 12 Chicago marathon - Leaving hotel to MDW
- 13 MN lake home rental needed
- 14 Cross country road trip to the east coast- here we go...
- 15 Sequoia/Redwoods Large Group Lodging
- 16 Forbes Island Restaurant Question
- 17 blue ridge parkway?
- 18 Esta "Not Authorized to Travel"
- 19 Destination and route guidance needed for Oct trip to New England.
- 20 Spring Break trip to National Park
- 21 EWR to Staten Island 9:50PM
- 22 Wedding gifts?
- 23 Big Sur evacuated due to Soberanes fire August 7, 2016
- 24 Trip to Vegas/GC/LA - need advice pleasd
- 25 Moab Tenting end of Oct?
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure