We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Lines for Shakespeare in the park tickets
- 2 Summer vacation
- 3 Boston-Philadelphia: drive, fly, Amtrak?
- 4 Pittsburgh to New York City
- 5 Grand Circle - need to add 3 nights
- 6 New Orleans on Easter Sunday - parade and church?
- 7 Nashville Questions
- 8 First Trip to Texas -
- 9 Resort/Hotel near Port Canaveral
- 10 Port Angelas -Vegas
- 11 Camping Road Trip with Kids - SD to Santa Fe
- 12 8-Hour Napali Fishing Charter with Kids?
- 13 Driving from NY to Boston in February
- 14 8 Days in Yellowstone/GTNP
- 15 Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor - how to get to the city?
- 16 Driving to Naples fl
- 17 Beaches in Florida
- 18 Must Sees in San Francisco
- 19 What to do in San Diego
- 20 Disney for Florida residents
- 21 Our Boston Getaway
- 22 Whale Watching in Kauai
- 23 Ground Transportation Denver Airport to Downtown
- 24 4-5 day active vacation/road trip from NY/NJ
- 25 40th in Key West
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure