We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Advice for So. CAL travel with 2 teen boys 13 & 15
- 2 B&B recommendation in Carmel
- 3 Maui/Kauai Honeymoon Itinerary - hotel help?
- 4 Boston Airport Hotels
- 5 Nashville Never Been
- 6 New England Road Trip Itinerary
- 7 San Antonio, Texas
- 8 Snow for next Christmas within a day's drive from Florida
- 9 CAJUN region, plus NEW ORLEANS
- 10 Uber boston
- 11 Week long trip--Dallas/Austin/SA
- 12 JFK terminal 4 to terminal 8, can we make it?
- 13 Frederick, MD, with dog and teen daughter
- 14 First trip to Colorado -- driving from Tennessee
- 15 Traveling to CO, worried about altitude sickness!
- 16 7 day Road Trip from Boise, ID
- 17 Parking in Naples Florida
- 18 State capitol buildings -- a two-thirds through ranking
- 19 Colorado Itinerary
- 20 Best Hilton location/hotel in New York
- 21 What is there to do on MAUI
- 22 Huntington Beach to Yosemite
- 23 Best place to live in the USA for doctors
- 24 Grand Teton National Park Review
- 25 Fodor's Travel QA Test_20170123104914
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure