We are considering a 6-12 month full-time RV adventure with two kids. One of my concerns right now is that we will be leaving Montana in January - I know, not the best time to be travelling, especially in a motorhome, but sometimes you take what you can get. We aren't able to leave work until then so that's the deal.
We are heading for Florida as our first long-term destination and will work our way back up the Eastern Coast. Our first thought was to head straight south and then east to Florida. Google maps routes the trip in a southeastern direction through the plains. My question is posed to those of you that are familiar with winter weather and general winter driving conditions for the two possible routes:
Option 1: Straight South (either through Salt Lake or Denver) and then East
(Utah/Wyoming/Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
Option 2: SouthEasterly
(South Dakota, Nebraska/Iowa, Kansas/Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia)
Now I know this is not a simple question - winter weather is very unpredictable (as I am familiar with living in Montana and travelling to Oregon frequently over several mountain passes). I'm hoping to just get a general feeling/thoughts/observations about either route. We will watch the weather and be flexible in our plans as the time get closer. I'd just like to get a starting point to work from.
Thanks in advance! I look forward to asking many, many questions as we get started on this journey.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Boston waterfront Italian
- 2 Day in Spokane
- 3 summer vacation
- 4 Kids Vacation Place
- 5 What to pack
- 6 Los Angeles Indefinitely
- 7 AUGUST---7 day San Fran to San Diego
- 8 Honolulu Hotel Resort Fees
- 9 Road trip from Gulf Coast to Key West
- 10 Aug. cruise wardrobe
- 11 Need help with National Parks trip in 2017
- 12 First time, Best business class?
- 13 Restaurant Recs for Minneapolis
- 14 Planning Rim2Rim Hike at Grand Canyon
- 15 Spa at THE Hotel at Mandalay Bay
- 16 Trip Report: 2 weeks from SF to Yellowstone and back, June 2016
- 17 Best restaurants?! - first time to NYC!
- 18 Zion and Bryce in July
- 19 Moving from Fresno CA to highpoint NC
- 20 Itinerary Help Needed
- 21 Trip Report 2012 : 11 wonderful days in Alaska
- 22 CA Fire - need revised itinerary help
- 23 SW Colorado/San Juan Skyway ideas?
- 24 Between Naples and Fort Myers
- 25 Desert Southwest
Help planning winter driving route for start of our RV adventure