My friend and I will be driving from Big Sur to LA in August and are wanting to stop at the Hearst Castle. We only have time for one tour. Preliminary research has people saying two different things: 1) First timers should do the Grand Rooms tour and then 2) The Grand Rooms tour is crowded and too short (not enough rooms).
I'd love to get some other perspectives so we can choose which tour to take. We're late 30's - early 40's women, no kids. We are artist types and love historical things, architecture, costumes, etc.
We'll be there too early for the evening tour, unfortunately. Should we follow everyone's advice and do the Grand Rooms tour, despite the crowds and few rooms? Or should we go crazy and see the Upstairs rooms or the Cottages & Kitchens.
I very much appreciate any feedback!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Washington DC in mid May. Questions!
- 2 10 days vacation in California
- 3 Westhester/Bronx/Yonkers area event planning
- 4 Amtrak prices go up and down?
- 5 Summer Vacation Ideas
- 6 Naples Hotel and Everglades
- 7 Alabama vacation "shark teeth fossils"
- 8 Retiring to Tucson
- 9 Road trip to NP: from Denver to San Francisco or the other way around?
- 10 Grand Canyon solo - advisable?
- 11 Southwest Road Trip in Oct
- 12 Utah National Parks visit
- 13 Renting an RV to Tour NM
- 14 Saturday traffic heading to the Outer Banks
- 15 Pet Friendly accommodations midway
- 16 Help Please - NYC Questions and Plans
- 17 Big Island of Hawaii - itinerary ideas for 7-10 day trip
- 18 Favorite lodging near Acadia NP? Maine in October?
- 19 Driving from Miami to Florida Keys - electronic tolls?
- 20 Hotel in Reno
- 21 winter resort offering snowshoeing dog sledding & boat trip
- 22 Alaska Trip Planning Please Help
- 23 Looking for informaation on Joshua Tree
- 24 A nice restuarnt in Charlottesville, VA for bridesmaids luncheon?
- 25 In search of cool beach town in the Carolinas
Hearst Castle - Is the Grand Rooms tour really the best for first timers?