My friend and I will be driving from Big Sur to LA in August and are wanting to stop at the Hearst Castle. We only have time for one tour. Preliminary research has people saying two different things: 1) First timers should do the Grand Rooms tour and then 2) The Grand Rooms tour is crowded and too short (not enough rooms).
I'd love to get some other perspectives so we can choose which tour to take. We're late 30's - early 40's women, no kids. We are artist types and love historical things, architecture, costumes, etc.
We'll be there too early for the evening tour, unfortunately. Should we follow everyone's advice and do the Grand Rooms tour, despite the crowds and few rooms? Or should we go crazy and see the Upstairs rooms or the Cottages & Kitchens.
I very much appreciate any feedback!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Oregon Overnight south of Crater Lake
- 2 Travel from Philadelphia to New York
- 3 Outlet Mall in New Orleans
- 4 Driving from FLL to Key West
- 5 Boston for a cruise: South end? Downtown?
- 6 Santa Barbara Hotels
- 7 10 Day Road Trip in Colorado
- 8 Maui experts..too late to plan August-Sept. visit???
- 9 CT to ABQ-favorite routes?
- 10 Rolling Thunder on Sunday- how bad will traffic be?
- 11 Help! 2nd half of trip...From GTNP, 11 days before flying out of Denver.
- 12 We want too see Statue of liberty. Flying into EWR and out of Jfk
- 13 Best weather and tips to roadtrip to west coast USA
- 14 Daughters/ mother 4/5 girl trip
- 15 Trail Ridge Road Will be Closed This Weekend
- 16 sugestions
- 17 Default Vegas-GC-Antelope-Bryce-Zion-Vegas
- 18 Yellowstone/Grand Teton Camping Itinerary
- 19 Rules of the NY Subway
- 20 Big Sur Help!!
- 21 PNC Park ~ convenient hotel?
- 22 Anyone use Hawaiian Airlines?
- 23 Road trip from arizona to seattle.
- 24 Best Time to Travel the West Coast (USA)
- 25 Sad News for Maine Lobster Lovers
Hearst Castle - Is the Grand Rooms tour really the best for first timers?