My friend and I will be driving from Big Sur to LA in August and are wanting to stop at the Hearst Castle. We only have time for one tour. Preliminary research has people saying two different things: 1) First timers should do the Grand Rooms tour and then 2) The Grand Rooms tour is crowded and too short (not enough rooms).
I'd love to get some other perspectives so we can choose which tour to take. We're late 30's - early 40's women, no kids. We are artist types and love historical things, architecture, costumes, etc.
We'll be there too early for the evening tour, unfortunately. Should we follow everyone's advice and do the Grand Rooms tour, despite the crowds and few rooms? Or should we go crazy and see the Upstairs rooms or the Cottages & Kitchens.
I very much appreciate any feedback!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Gotta Go To Stanford U Medical Center
- 2 Need Advice For Trip with 16year old son-
- 3 Limited time on Maui: Advice please
- 4 Southwest charging USD15/ for early bird check in
- 5 Zion NP & Las Vegas with Kids for 3 days in July - Please Help
- 6 ONE WAY car rental from NYC to BOS
- 7 San Francisco - Best place to see street art
- 8 Travel suggestions from Mystic, CT to Bar Harbor, Maine
- 9 Road trip from Boston to Florida
- 10 60th birthday trip to Vermont, NH, Maine in October
- 11 Black Hills, Mount Rushmore, Badlands Trip Report
- 12 Driving from San Francisco Airport to San Rafael
- 13 Newark to Paris
- 14 Phone SIM
- 15 A June trip to Kauai
- 16 Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe to Riverside, CA
- 17 Do you have suggestions on my first roadtrip South-West USA?
- 18 ONE DY ONE NIGHT IN LA
- 19 Avoiding Los Angeles Traffic
- 20 Trip Idea for Thanksgiving Break
- 21 Transit Advisory July 4, 2016 Local Transit will be on a hoilday schedule
- 22 Napa Valley Hotel
- 23 October Fall Foliage Itinerary
- 24 The city never sleeps, but we needed to
- 25 Southern Michigan vacation destination?
Hearst Castle - Is the Grand Rooms tour really the best for first timers?