My friend and I will be driving from Big Sur to LA in August and are wanting to stop at the Hearst Castle. We only have time for one tour. Preliminary research has people saying two different things: 1) First timers should do the Grand Rooms tour and then 2) The Grand Rooms tour is crowded and too short (not enough rooms).
I'd love to get some other perspectives so we can choose which tour to take. We're late 30's - early 40's women, no kids. We are artist types and love historical things, architecture, costumes, etc.
We'll be there too early for the evening tour, unfortunately. Should we follow everyone's advice and do the Grand Rooms tour, despite the crowds and few rooms? Or should we go crazy and see the Upstairs rooms or the Cottages & Kitchens.
I very much appreciate any feedback!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Huntington Beach to Yosemite
- 2 Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- 3 New England Road Trip Itinerary
- 4 Hawaii Help
- 5 Fodor's Travel QA Test_20170123104914
- 6 Summer in Michigan
- 7 Naples/ Fort Myers
- 8 Fodor's Travel QA Test_20170123104909
- 9 Traveling to CO, worried about altitude sickness!
- 10 NYC 30th birhday ideas
- 11 State capitol buildings -- a two-thirds through ranking
- 12 Scenic vistas along the road the big island Hawaii
- 13 Rafting the Colorado
- 14 10-14 daycar fr. Monterey, CA to Jackson WY. Help - towns / Nat'l Parks
- 15 Glacier National Park
- 16 5 nights stay RMNP
- 17 Best Hilton location/hotel in New York
- 18 New York City - Wasington February 2017
- 19 West Virginia/Virginia during Thanksgiving (8 days)
- 20 Any Sanibel experts?
- 21 Traveling in winter
- 22 a short trip to san francisco
- 23 Best route to tour most of Michigan-Help!
- 24 Big Island and Kauai questions
- 25 South east road trip
Hearst Castle - Is the Grand Rooms tour really the best for first timers?