Hello: I'm planning a first trip (8-10 days) to Hawaii last week Dec-1st week of January to celebrate a birthday. The goal of the trip is hiking on trails in a beautiful place. I'm concerned about wet conditions (dear husband and I don't like hiking through mud and rain, coming as we do from an arid climate). I'd be grateful if anyone could recommend some good hiking destinations during that time period that are more likely to have DRY conditions. I was originally thinking about Volcano Park or the Kona area on the Big Island or somewhere on the South or West Coasts of Kaui based on some brief mentions I picked up unrelated threads on this forum (but perhaps these places don't have the conditions I'm looking for??). I'd be grateful for comments/suggestions about the quality of the hiking experience and conditions in these or ANY other places in Hawaii that I should consider for this hiking trip? I'd like to stay in one location or at most two during the entire trip. (BTW: I'm not looking for a sea/surf/snorkeling/whale watching or honeymoon-ish destination. Rather I would just like to be in a beautiful, natural feeling place and hike, and would prefer to rent a condo/apt during my stay rather than being in a trad'l resort.) Thanks so much.
Hawaii hiking/last wk. Dec& 1st wk Jan/driest places?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Chigo O'Hare layover
- 2 Here's how I spent my 3 hour layover in Washington, DC
- 3 First family ski trip
- 4 What to do in Pawley's Island in Early March?
- 5 Huntington Beach - hostels?
- 6 5 nights in/around Yellowstone w/ kids
- 7 Restaurants in Charleston, SC
- 8 NYC theatre broadway
- 9 Alaska
- 10 San Diego grocery stores
- 11 San Diego parks and attractions
- 12 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 13 Chain of Craters Road safe with Infants
- 14 Grand Circle Trip report, Arizona and Utah
- 15 Most affordable Wineries in Northern California near Napa?
- 16 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 17 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 18 Looking for Destination Ideas
- 19 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 20 Durango-Ouray-Telluride- Mesa Verde
- 21 Other places like Chautauqua Institution
- 22 Anchorage Sheraton Hotel and Spa
- 23 Visiting Denver
- 24 Visiting Denver
- 25 Planning family gathering in Sedona