Hello: I'm planning a first trip (8-10 days) to Hawaii last week Dec-1st week of January to celebrate a birthday. The goal of the trip is hiking on trails in a beautiful place. I'm concerned about wet conditions (dear husband and I don't like hiking through mud and rain, coming as we do from an arid climate). I'd be grateful if anyone could recommend some good hiking destinations during that time period that are more likely to have DRY conditions. I was originally thinking about Volcano Park or the Kona area on the Big Island or somewhere on the South or West Coasts of Kaui based on some brief mentions I picked up unrelated threads on this forum (but perhaps these places don't have the conditions I'm looking for??). I'd be grateful for comments/suggestions about the quality of the hiking experience and conditions in these or ANY other places in Hawaii that I should consider for this hiking trip? I'd like to stay in one location or at most two during the entire trip. (BTW: I'm not looking for a sea/surf/snorkeling/whale watching or honeymoon-ish destination. Rather I would just like to be in a beautiful, natural feeling place and hike, and would prefer to rent a condo/apt during my stay rather than being in a trad'l resort.) Thanks so much.
Hawaii hiking/last wk. Dec& 1st wk Jan/driest places?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Moving out of states from Florida
- 2 itinerary help (starting niagra falls)
- 3 Alaska Trip Planning
- 4 First time to Hawaii (Maui)
- 5 Feedback on Idaho Itinerary
- 6 Broadway Banter revived, Spring 2015!
- 7 Pacific Coast Highway from Los Angeles to San Francisco
- 8 Romantic destination in the US
- 9 Charleston + Savannah in June
- 10 4 Days in Kauai what to see and do
- 11 Best route to Lassen from Woodside?
- 12 Colorado Springs to Durango 9 days
- 13 Cleveland to Chicago by train
- 14 Getting from JFK to Midtown
- 15 Restaurant recomendations in the east 54th Street area, please.
- 16 14 day trip advice Spokane Wa to Glacier,Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise
- 17 NY Times magazine -- Walking New York.
- 18 Feedback needed for our book club trip to New England
- 19 Recommended Air BnB Somewhere Between Columbus and Cleveland?
- 20 family road trip
- 21 Need recommendations for a restaurant in Rochester, NY!
- 22 Suggestions for seeing sites when one person has difficulty walking?
- 23 final plans utah/arizona trip
- 24 Weddings. Vermont. Anybody know Pitcher Inn or Mad River Barn?
- 25 Best spot to see a sunrise in Boston