Hello: I'm planning a first trip (8-10 days) to Hawaii last week Dec-1st week of January to celebrate a birthday. The goal of the trip is hiking on trails in a beautiful place. I'm concerned about wet conditions (dear husband and I don't like hiking through mud and rain, coming as we do from an arid climate). I'd be grateful if anyone could recommend some good hiking destinations during that time period that are more likely to have DRY conditions. I was originally thinking about Volcano Park or the Kona area on the Big Island or somewhere on the South or West Coasts of Kaui based on some brief mentions I picked up unrelated threads on this forum (but perhaps these places don't have the conditions I'm looking for??). I'd be grateful for comments/suggestions about the quality of the hiking experience and conditions in these or ANY other places in Hawaii that I should consider for this hiking trip? I'd like to stay in one location or at most two during the entire trip. (BTW: I'm not looking for a sea/surf/snorkeling/whale watching or honeymoon-ish destination. Rather I would just like to be in a beautiful, natural feeling place and hike, and would prefer to rent a condo/apt during my stay rather than being in a trad'l resort.) Thanks so much.
Hawaii hiking/last wk. Dec& 1st wk Jan/driest places?
View all United States activity »
- 1 Univesity of Wisconsin Madison college visit -any tips
- 2 Need a Good family restaurant near Disney World
- 3 Denali Bus Tour Evaluation
- 4 Biloxi questions again
- 5 What is the most European looking city in the United States?
- 6 San Francisco - Stu Dudley's Recommendations
- 7 Madison Square Garden
- 8 SuperShuttle - are they always so rude?
- 9 Inexpensive Weekend Getaway- New England
- 10 Would this still be a good NYC to Boston Route?
- 11 RV trip from Raleigh NC to Grand Canyon, Zion, Arches.. and?
- 12 For NYC Tourists ... How to spot a New Yorker
- 13 NOLA 10th Anniv. Suggestions?
- 14 Traveling the pacific coast highway and national parks in one week
- 15 Trip Report: New Orleans, Nov. 20 - 25, 2013
- 16 Heard Les Miz is Returning - Production Any Good
- 17 hawaii for 10 weeks
- 18 Fort Lauderdale weather in late January
- 19 Warm and don't Drive
- 20 After 13 Years, We Returned to the Big Apple
- 21 Antelope Canyon, Zion, and Bryce advice needed
- 22 a very short, uneventful trip report of our 10 days in south Kona
- 23 Roadtrip New Orleans, Vicksburg, Montgomery, Mobile, New Orleans
- 24 Road Trip to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho & Oregon
- 25 the Cliffs Resort at Princeville