My husband and I are travelling with my 'just new to being 70' parents for their first trip O/S.
July 8 will see us arrive just before sunset at Bright Angel Lodge, Grand Canyon where we are booked for the night. After sightseeing for the day on July 9 we will drive to Monument Valley and plan to arrive just before sunset and booked to stay at the View Hotel for the evening. From here I get a bit uncertain!
Our day by day plan is July 10: Morning tour MV and then on to Moab (?) with a quick side trip to the Canyonlands NP.
July 11: Travel towards Yellowstone. Stay Salt Lake City (?)
July 12: S.L.C. to Yellowstone (? stay on South or West side)
July 13: Explore Yellowstone for the day and stay (? North side)
July 14: Travel the Beartooth Highway (stay Powell?)
July 15: Travel to Billings for flight to Buffalo.
Being Aussies we are used to travelling long distances so this is not a problem but we do not want to miss scenery by travelling in the dark and do not want to push parents too hard in the heat.
I would appreciate any thoughts on routes, best viewing vantage point for Canyonlands, thoughts on slipping out to see the Bonneville Salt Flats (husband and Father both racing enthusiasts) and unusual (but nice--I'm precious) places to stay. Trying not to be in generic motels all the time.
My Dad has been reading up on the USA with excitement and it is his wish to travel the Beartooth Highway. Any thoughts on this would also be appreciated so I can give this box a very big tick for him.
Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thank you Jomaree
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Maine Lobster Rolls
- 2 The Frugals Go To Maine
- 3 Maine weather and temps
- 4 We want too see Statue of liberty. Flying into EWR and out of Jfk
- 5 Nantucket Baggage Storage
- 6 Key West - Kids Friendly?
- 7 Would Torrey be a good base for Moab/Canyonlands
- 8 How long to spend at Lassen Volcanic NP?
- 9 Cross Country Road Trip Phoenix to Boston
- 10 Alcatrez sold out
- 11 New York with my 16 year old granddaughter
- 12 Broadway
- 13 Buying MI lake house- which lake is warmer, medium sized and clear?
- 14 4 OR 5 BEDROOM CABIN IN WISCONSIN, IOWA OR MINNESOTA FOR ANNUAL GIRL TRIP
- 15 Do you need a car in Siesta Key? 1st timer....
- 16 A great birthday trip to Charleston!
- 17 Road Trip from Dallas to Miami
- 18 Hawaii Itinerary for Family with Teens
- 19 Kids missing three weeks of school.
- 20 Need help planning....
- 21 L.A. and Sequoia
- 22 Are you sick from Alaskan tour?
- 23 Hawaii with 2 young teens
- 24 Week motorcycle ride
- 25 Embassy Suites HOnolulu