My husband and I are travelling with my 'just new to being 70' parents for their first trip O/S.
July 8 will see us arrive just before sunset at Bright Angel Lodge, Grand Canyon where we are booked for the night. After sightseeing for the day on July 9 we will drive to Monument Valley and plan to arrive just before sunset and booked to stay at the View Hotel for the evening. From here I get a bit uncertain!
Our day by day plan is July 10: Morning tour MV and then on to Moab (?) with a quick side trip to the Canyonlands NP.
July 11: Travel towards Yellowstone. Stay Salt Lake City (?)
July 12: S.L.C. to Yellowstone (? stay on South or West side)
July 13: Explore Yellowstone for the day and stay (? North side)
July 14: Travel the Beartooth Highway (stay Powell?)
July 15: Travel to Billings for flight to Buffalo.
Being Aussies we are used to travelling long distances so this is not a problem but we do not want to miss scenery by travelling in the dark and do not want to push parents too hard in the heat.
I would appreciate any thoughts on routes, best viewing vantage point for Canyonlands, thoughts on slipping out to see the Bonneville Salt Flats (husband and Father both racing enthusiasts) and unusual (but nice--I'm precious) places to stay. Trying not to be in generic motels all the time.
My Dad has been reading up on the USA with excitement and it is his wish to travel the Beartooth Highway. Any thoughts on this would also be appreciated so I can give this box a very big tick for him.
Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thank you Jomaree
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Anyone use Hawaiian Airlines?
- 2 Montana, Wyoming ideas including beartooth highway and little big hotn
- 3 Sad News for Maine Lobster Lovers
- 4 Help! 2nd half of trip...From GTNP, 11 days before flying out of Denver.
- 5 South Dakota to Bryce Canyon and what to do in between...
- 6 10 Day Road Trip in Colorado
- 7 PNC Park ~ convenient hotel?
- 8 road trip from NC to Maine in Sept.
- 9 Road trip from arizona to seattle.
- 10 Trail Ridge Road Will be Closed This Weekend
- 11 Best Time to Travel the West Coast (USA)
- 12 10 Days in Maine
- 13 Amtrak California Zephyr and Yosemite waterfalls
- 14 Big Island - Best Way to See Lava and Waterfalls?
- 15 Boston for a cruise: South end? Downtown?
- 16 sugestions
- 17 Drive from Chicago to Yellowstone and back
- 18 Big Sur and Scenic Hwy 1 in CA.
- 19 Miami for 2 days
- 20 More problems for Big Sur
- 21 Yosemite Trip May 2017
- 22 Saratoga Springs, NY - affordable hotel?
- 23 Las Vegas trip report
- 24 We want too see Statue of liberty. Flying into EWR and out of Jfk
- 25 Boston area hotels