My husband and I are travelling with my 'just new to being 70' parents for their first trip O/S.
July 8 will see us arrive just before sunset at Bright Angel Lodge, Grand Canyon where we are booked for the night. After sightseeing for the day on July 9 we will drive to Monument Valley and plan to arrive just before sunset and booked to stay at the View Hotel for the evening. From here I get a bit uncertain!
Our day by day plan is July 10: Morning tour MV and then on to Moab (?) with a quick side trip to the Canyonlands NP.
July 11: Travel towards Yellowstone. Stay Salt Lake City (?)
July 12: S.L.C. to Yellowstone (? stay on South or West side)
July 13: Explore Yellowstone for the day and stay (? North side)
July 14: Travel the Beartooth Highway (stay Powell?)
July 15: Travel to Billings for flight to Buffalo.
Being Aussies we are used to travelling long distances so this is not a problem but we do not want to miss scenery by travelling in the dark and do not want to push parents too hard in the heat.
I would appreciate any thoughts on routes, best viewing vantage point for Canyonlands, thoughts on slipping out to see the Bonneville Salt Flats (husband and Father both racing enthusiasts) and unusual (but nice--I'm precious) places to stay. Trying not to be in generic motels all the time.
My Dad has been reading up on the USA with excitement and it is his wish to travel the Beartooth Highway. Any thoughts on this would also be appreciated so I can give this box a very big tick for him.
Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thank you Jomaree
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 San Fransisco to Seattle Drive
- 2 Looking for advice on my hitchhike trip plan
- 3 Pacific Grove for 5 or 6 nights
- 4 San Francisco, Portland, & Seattle Honeymoon
- 5 Holmes Beach, Anna Maria Island, Florida
- 6 UC Santa Barbara hotels
- 7 DC GTG Dinner at Carmine's, April 29
- 8 DCArea GTG April 2017
- 9 flagstaff
- 10 Feinsteins 54 Below
- 11 Rocky Mountain road trip
- 12 Boston hotel in May - Suburb and using the T-line
- 13 Dinner with two 12 year old boys
- 14 Miami Beach and Baseball Trip - Hampton Inn or Sheraton Four Points
- 15 NEW ORLEANS AND CAJUN COUNTRY...A WEEK-LONG FOOD QUEST
- 16 Carrizo Plain National Monument Wildflower "Superbloom"
- 17 Austin, Hotel
- 18 US Trip
- 19 The Big Island - Best Way to See the Volcano
- 20 Bryce and Zion planning
- 21 Maui - luau question
- 22 1 year anniversary in Colorado in July
- 23 Kathie & Cheryl's notes from Kauai 2017
- 24 Mesa Verde National Park Colorado
- 25 Road Trip-San Francisco and Los Angeles