My husband and I are travelling with my 'just new to being 70' parents for their first trip O/S.
July 8 will see us arrive just before sunset at Bright Angel Lodge, Grand Canyon where we are booked for the night. After sightseeing for the day on July 9 we will drive to Monument Valley and plan to arrive just before sunset and booked to stay at the View Hotel for the evening. From here I get a bit uncertain!
Our day by day plan is July 10: Morning tour MV and then on to Moab (?) with a quick side trip to the Canyonlands NP.
July 11: Travel towards Yellowstone. Stay Salt Lake City (?)
July 12: S.L.C. to Yellowstone (? stay on South or West side)
July 13: Explore Yellowstone for the day and stay (? North side)
July 14: Travel the Beartooth Highway (stay Powell?)
July 15: Travel to Billings for flight to Buffalo.
Being Aussies we are used to travelling long distances so this is not a problem but we do not want to miss scenery by travelling in the dark and do not want to push parents too hard in the heat.
I would appreciate any thoughts on routes, best viewing vantage point for Canyonlands, thoughts on slipping out to see the Bonneville Salt Flats (husband and Father both racing enthusiasts) and unusual (but nice--I'm precious) places to stay. Trying not to be in generic motels all the time.
My Dad has been reading up on the USA with excitement and it is his wish to travel the Beartooth Highway. Any thoughts on this would also be appreciated so I can give this box a very big tick for him.
Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thank you Jomaree
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 blue ridge parkway?
- 2 Cross country road trip to the east coast- here we go...
- 3 Montana dude ranch recommendation
- 4 Pls help keep dolphins happy & healthy
- 5 NYC Airport transport (well, Newark)
- 6 San Diego, mission valley
- 7 NFL preseason 2016 Week 3
- 8 First Trip to New Mexico
- 9 Towing a camper trailer during January
- 10 California trip .. some guidance needed
- 11 Road Trip/Excursions for a weekend outside of Denver
- 12 Need advise sightseeing Seattle - Pendleton - Twin Falls - Yellowstone
- 13 My Avis/kona rental experience
- 14 Napili in Maui with toddlers?
- 15 Are you sick from Alaskan tour?
- 16 Seattle?
- 17 Chinese restaurants in D.C.?
- 18 International transferring planes at CDG
- 19 EWR to Staten Island 9:50PM
- 20 JFK TO MANHATTEN
- 21 Day Tripping in Florida Keys
- 22 Travelling from NYC to Washington Depot
- 23 Springfield, Illinois and no car. Worth a slight detour?
- 24 What's the 14th Street area like?
- 25 Taxi from Honolulu airport to hotels