My husband and I are travelling with my 'just new to being 70' parents for their first trip O/S.
July 8 will see us arrive just before sunset at Bright Angel Lodge, Grand Canyon where we are booked for the night. After sightseeing for the day on July 9 we will drive to Monument Valley and plan to arrive just before sunset and booked to stay at the View Hotel for the evening. From here I get a bit uncertain!
Our day by day plan is July 10: Morning tour MV and then on to Moab (?) with a quick side trip to the Canyonlands NP.
July 11: Travel towards Yellowstone. Stay Salt Lake City (?)
July 12: S.L.C. to Yellowstone (? stay on South or West side)
July 13: Explore Yellowstone for the day and stay (? North side)
July 14: Travel the Beartooth Highway (stay Powell?)
July 15: Travel to Billings for flight to Buffalo.
Being Aussies we are used to travelling long distances so this is not a problem but we do not want to miss scenery by travelling in the dark and do not want to push parents too hard in the heat.
I would appreciate any thoughts on routes, best viewing vantage point for Canyonlands, thoughts on slipping out to see the Bonneville Salt Flats (husband and Father both racing enthusiasts) and unusual (but nice--I'm precious) places to stay. Trying not to be in generic motels all the time.
My Dad has been reading up on the USA with excitement and it is his wish to travel the Beartooth Highway. Any thoughts on this would also be appreciated so I can give this box a very big tick for him.
Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thank you Jomaree
GRAND CANYON TO YELLOWSTONE AND BEARTOOTH HIGHWAY
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Help needed from USA experts... where to?
- 2 Dinner in Miami
- 3 Portsmouth NH to NYC
- 4 After Chigago ? side trips- suggestions
- 5 Met Opera rush tickets - process changed again!
- 6 Need help planning weekend trips: Georgia, Chicago, Tennessee, Alaska?!
- 7 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 8 Any edits? San Antonio & Austin Itinerary Dec 31st-Jan 5th or 6th
- 9 Family Reunion Ideas for Maine Coast
- 10 62 Hikers airlifted out of Kalalau Trail
- 11 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 12 Utah-Arizona National Parks intinary help needed
- 13 fly fishing spring break - warm weather
- 14 Tipping advice
- 15 Lake Rabun Hotel
- 16 NYT article on exploring Los Angeles without a car
- 17 3 weeks in USA in February -- final post before booking hotels
- 18 advice on possible employment in GA or NC rural areas
- 19 Zion, Bryce, Page, GC South Rim, and Arches
- 20 Christmas weather?
- 21 Big island itinerary
- 22 New York City and New England
- 23 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 24 Flying from LA to Massachusetts
- 25 Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Banff in May or early Sept.?