My husband and I are travelling with my 'just new to being 70' parents for their first trip O/S.
July 8 will see us arrive just before sunset at Bright Angel Lodge, Grand Canyon where we are booked for the night. After sightseeing for the day on July 9 we will drive to Monument Valley and plan to arrive just before sunset and booked to stay at the View Hotel for the evening. From here I get a bit uncertain!
Our day by day plan is July 10: Morning tour MV and then on to Moab (?) with a quick side trip to the Canyonlands NP.
July 11: Travel towards Yellowstone. Stay Salt Lake City (?)
July 12: S.L.C. to Yellowstone (? stay on South or West side)
July 13: Explore Yellowstone for the day and stay (? North side)
July 14: Travel the Beartooth Highway (stay Powell?)
July 15: Travel to Billings for flight to Buffalo.
Being Aussies we are used to travelling long distances so this is not a problem but we do not want to miss scenery by travelling in the dark and do not want to push parents too hard in the heat.
I would appreciate any thoughts on routes, best viewing vantage point for Canyonlands, thoughts on slipping out to see the Bonneville Salt Flats (husband and Father both racing enthusiasts) and unusual (but nice--I'm precious) places to stay. Trying not to be in generic motels all the time.
My Dad has been reading up on the USA with excitement and it is his wish to travel the Beartooth Highway. Any thoughts on this would also be appreciated so I can give this box a very big tick for him.
Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thank you Jomaree
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Watch NFL 4 December 2016 Live
- 2 So if you had one night in SF, where would you eat?
- 3 "Unique" New York City Experiences-Yours
- 4 Help us choose a hotel
- 5 Grand Canyon / Bryce / Zion in August with Teens
- 6 Staying outside DC
- 7 Bringing alcohol into the US
- 8 Santa Fe & Taos for Christmas week: feedback on itinerary?
- 9 Seafood restaurant in San Francisco - recommendations
- 10 Ideas for New York
- 11 Bringin Wine in by car from Mexico
- 12 Oahu Dec 17th -22nd 2016
- 13 Hollywood Area where to stay
- 14 Kauai for a group over New Years
- 15 Three relaxing weeks in Palm Springs
- 16 CAJUN region, plus NEW ORLEANS
- 17 Where to stay in maui Kihei vs Paia vs Wailea vs Lahaina, Kaanapali
- 18 7 Day Photography Road trip from Vegas to Denver during Christmas
- 19 New York in December
- 20 Road trip from Madison, WI to Portland, OR in April, 2017
- 21 Driving from San Diego CA to Great lakes IL in FEB
- 22 Christmas shopping in Sante Fe
- 23 Dallas, Austin, Waco in February
- 24 Hurricane Matthew damage along Florida East Coast?
- 25 New Years In Asheville with Nature and Beer on the side!