I can't believe it is time to book my trip in a few weeks! I've been asking for advice here for several years and it's finally only a year away! I've wanted to visit the Grand Canyon my entire life - I'm certain that has something to do with the Brady Bunch - but I'm not entirely sure. I'm drawn to the southwest. I visited Phoenix and Sedona twice in my 20's, and I only wish I'd made the effort to go to the Grand Canyon then!
Anyway, This how my trip is shaping up:
Two adults, 40ish. Three kids, 11, 10, and 10 at time of travel.
We will fly from Chicago to Las Vegas. I will get an early flight. I want to hit Hoover Dam - should we go from the airport to Hoover Dam? And then drive to the Grand Canyon? Is that going to be too much for one day?
I want to hit the GC first, because I think Zion will be the most fun - and I think we should do the parks in order from least fun to most fun (from a kid, activity) perspective.
My thought was two nights at the GC. The first night, we'll probably get there late (after flying and visiting Hoover Dam and driving over?). Get up in the morning and Check out the overlooks. Take the shuttle up and down? Eat. I found a place to rent bikes - that is something we would all enjoy. I wonder if I need another day here, now?
Then, move on to Bryce. I thought we'd do a good hike at Bryce one day, and perhaps a horse ride on a second day? Or maybe reverse those (are we going to have issues with the elevation?). (Two nights at Bryce)
Then, Zion - I have three nights in mind for Zion. One day, I'd like to rent gear from Zion Adventure Company and hike the Narrows. On the second day, I'd like to tube on the Virgin River (with Zion Adventure). It will be hot in Zion - and I think the kids would LOVE both of those activities. Then, the third morning, we can get up and head back to Vegas for a flight home. Would this be a better time to hit the Hoover Dam?
Does that seem like a decent itinerary? Do you see anything glaring about what we should drop or add? We're thinking a nice 7 day trip, with those three parks - and then if we fall in love - we can come back and do more. Thanks for any thoughts or input!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 A Week in New York City
- 2 Does the "Real USA" (still) exist?
- 3 Santa Cruz downtown to San Jose Airport via public transit
- 4 Yosemite Visit
- 5 Driving from New York to Atlanta,Ga
- 6 Los Angeles 4 nghts/5days
- 7 The Big Island, Kauai, and Maui: A Songdoc Trip Report
- 8 Best route to Cody?
- 9 Cody, Wyoming rodeo
- 10 Help finalize my Colorado activities & lodging
- 11 New York overnight - dinner & after choices
- 12 Trip Report - San Francisco advise for 1st timers like us!!
- 13 Florida Family vacation in California
- 14 New York City Christmas 2015
- 15 Family trip to San Diego. Itinerary help!
- 16 NYC itinerary 5 days
- 17 50th in Hawaii
- 18 Philadelphia to Sunset, SC via I81 and others
- 19 6 days in Boston - review itinerary & other recs needed
- 20 Seattle to Portland- ideas for places to stay?
- 21 Looking for suggestions for Washington state weekend getaways
- 22 Miami Transportation Mid-Beach to South Beach
- 23 Our Badlands, Black Hills, Yellowstone Adventure, June 2015
- 24 Hilton Head restaurants
- 25 Las Vegas