I can't believe it is time to book my trip in a few weeks! I've been asking for advice here for several years and it's finally only a year away! I've wanted to visit the Grand Canyon my entire life - I'm certain that has something to do with the Brady Bunch - but I'm not entirely sure. I'm drawn to the southwest. I visited Phoenix and Sedona twice in my 20's, and I only wish I'd made the effort to go to the Grand Canyon then!
Anyway, This how my trip is shaping up:
Two adults, 40ish. Three kids, 11, 10, and 10 at time of travel.
We will fly from Chicago to Las Vegas. I will get an early flight. I want to hit Hoover Dam - should we go from the airport to Hoover Dam? And then drive to the Grand Canyon? Is that going to be too much for one day?
I want to hit the GC first, because I think Zion will be the most fun - and I think we should do the parks in order from least fun to most fun (from a kid, activity) perspective.
My thought was two nights at the GC. The first night, we'll probably get there late (after flying and visiting Hoover Dam and driving over?). Get up in the morning and Check out the overlooks. Take the shuttle up and down? Eat. I found a place to rent bikes - that is something we would all enjoy. I wonder if I need another day here, now?
Then, move on to Bryce. I thought we'd do a good hike at Bryce one day, and perhaps a horse ride on a second day? Or maybe reverse those (are we going to have issues with the elevation?). (Two nights at Bryce)
Then, Zion - I have three nights in mind for Zion. One day, I'd like to rent gear from Zion Adventure Company and hike the Narrows. On the second day, I'd like to tube on the Virgin River (with Zion Adventure). It will be hot in Zion - and I think the kids would LOVE both of those activities. Then, the third morning, we can get up and head back to Vegas for a flight home. Would this be a better time to hit the Hoover Dam?
Does that seem like a decent itinerary? Do you see anything glaring about what we should drop or add? We're thinking a nice 7 day trip, with those three parks - and then if we fall in love - we can come back and do more. Thanks for any thoughts or input!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 http://www.topadvancingincome.com/moviestarplanet-hacks/
- 2 Need NYC help. Need to get from city out to Millford, NJ.
- 3 Maine in late October
- 4 Nantucket vs. Jersey Shore
- 5 Mendocino Hiking
- 6 Running kissimmee Florida
- 7 One afternoon and evening to kill in San Fran
- 8 Looking for pretty waterfront hotel for weekend trip from Detroit
- 9 Itinerary Advice for SLC - Moab - Zion
- 10 LOWER Antelope Canyon
- 11 Monterey whale watching
- 12 Salt Lake City to Northern California or Oregon trip
- 13 Aug Weekend Colorado - Stay in Carbondale, Snowmass or Redstone
- 14 NYC - Sargent - Sorolla
- 15 5 days in Portland and Willamette wine country
- 16 Coast Starlight Amtrak
- 17 Mackinac or Holland?
- 18 Grand Canyon Rafting - paddle, oar, or motorized
- 19 Memphis to Dallas
- 20 Ideas for 2 day/1 night Oct. side trip from NYC
- 21 The Big Island, Kauai, and Maui: A Songdoc Trip Report
- 22 The New Whitney
- 23 1.5 days in Chicago
- 24 After FL and CA, where else in the US with a 7-year-old?
- 25 Highway 1 motels