I can't believe it is time to book my trip in a few weeks! I've been asking for advice here for several years and it's finally only a year away! I've wanted to visit the Grand Canyon my entire life - I'm certain that has something to do with the Brady Bunch - but I'm not entirely sure. I'm drawn to the southwest. I visited Phoenix and Sedona twice in my 20's, and I only wish I'd made the effort to go to the Grand Canyon then!
Anyway, This how my trip is shaping up:
Two adults, 40ish. Three kids, 11, 10, and 10 at time of travel.
We will fly from Chicago to Las Vegas. I will get an early flight. I want to hit Hoover Dam - should we go from the airport to Hoover Dam? And then drive to the Grand Canyon? Is that going to be too much for one day?
I want to hit the GC first, because I think Zion will be the most fun - and I think we should do the parks in order from least fun to most fun (from a kid, activity) perspective.
My thought was two nights at the GC. The first night, we'll probably get there late (after flying and visiting Hoover Dam and driving over?). Get up in the morning and Check out the overlooks. Take the shuttle up and down? Eat. I found a place to rent bikes - that is something we would all enjoy. I wonder if I need another day here, now?
Then, move on to Bryce. I thought we'd do a good hike at Bryce one day, and perhaps a horse ride on a second day? Or maybe reverse those (are we going to have issues with the elevation?). (Two nights at Bryce)
Then, Zion - I have three nights in mind for Zion. One day, I'd like to rent gear from Zion Adventure Company and hike the Narrows. On the second day, I'd like to tube on the Virgin River (with Zion Adventure). It will be hot in Zion - and I think the kids would LOVE both of those activities. Then, the third morning, we can get up and head back to Vegas for a flight home. Would this be a better time to hit the Hoover Dam?
Does that seem like a decent itinerary? Do you see anything glaring about what we should drop or add? We're thinking a nice 7 day trip, with those three parks - and then if we fall in love - we can come back and do more. Thanks for any thoughts or input!
Grand Canyon South Rim, Bryce, Zion, June - Activities
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Can Anyone Suggest which is the Best Holiday Destination with Family.?
- 2 bachelors degree
- 3 Is Coral Gables or Miami a shorter distance to the Everglades?
- 4 Help needed from USA experts... where to?
- 5 Florida Vacation
- 6 3 weeks in USA in February -- refined itinerary
- 7 historic small western towns - with shopping district, dino digs??
- 8 Trailing Cyclone Ana to Maui (trip report)
- 9 First Time RVing - Is my itinerary on overkill for 10 day trip?
- 10 Getting to Key West
- 11 New Orleans Motel Question
- 12 Itinerary ideas for Niagara Falls via Corning/Watkins from NYC
- 13 San Diego One Day Itinerary
- 14 How the fairytale of New York can become a nightmare
- 15 Has anyone been getting ads for handguns/holsters?
- 16 Hang out, Low Key, Getaway Area?
- 17 Has anyone been to Li'l Dizzy's in the Treme?
- 18 Please help identify location in Southern California
- 19 West Maui Restaurants
- 20 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 21 62 Hikers airlifted out of Kalalau Trail
- 22 Help with seeing Rocky Mountain National Park
- 23 San Francisco Italian Restaurant for 14
- 24 3 weeks in USA in February -- final post before booking hotels
- 25 Indoor Waterpark in Wisconsin Dells ?