I can't believe it is time to book my trip in a few weeks! I've been asking for advice here for several years and it's finally only a year away! I've wanted to visit the Grand Canyon my entire life - I'm certain that has something to do with the Brady Bunch - but I'm not entirely sure. I'm drawn to the southwest. I visited Phoenix and Sedona twice in my 20's, and I only wish I'd made the effort to go to the Grand Canyon then!
Anyway, This how my trip is shaping up:
Two adults, 40ish. Three kids, 11, 10, and 10 at time of travel.
We will fly from Chicago to Las Vegas. I will get an early flight. I want to hit Hoover Dam - should we go from the airport to Hoover Dam? And then drive to the Grand Canyon? Is that going to be too much for one day?
I want to hit the GC first, because I think Zion will be the most fun - and I think we should do the parks in order from least fun to most fun (from a kid, activity) perspective.
My thought was two nights at the GC. The first night, we'll probably get there late (after flying and visiting Hoover Dam and driving over?). Get up in the morning and Check out the overlooks. Take the shuttle up and down? Eat. I found a place to rent bikes - that is something we would all enjoy. I wonder if I need another day here, now?
Then, move on to Bryce. I thought we'd do a good hike at Bryce one day, and perhaps a horse ride on a second day? Or maybe reverse those (are we going to have issues with the elevation?). (Two nights at Bryce)
Then, Zion - I have three nights in mind for Zion. One day, I'd like to rent gear from Zion Adventure Company and hike the Narrows. On the second day, I'd like to tube on the Virgin River (with Zion Adventure). It will be hot in Zion - and I think the kids would LOVE both of those activities. Then, the third morning, we can get up and head back to Vegas for a flight home. Would this be a better time to hit the Hoover Dam?
Does that seem like a decent itinerary? Do you see anything glaring about what we should drop or add? We're thinking a nice 7 day trip, with those three parks - and then if we fall in love - we can come back and do more. Thanks for any thoughts or input!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 http://skincaresfreetrial.com/nitro-pump-250/
- 2 Back from the Big Easy
- 3 http://skincaresfreetrial.com/nitro-pump-250/
- 4 Suggestions for beach towns on FL west coast?
- 5 Border crossing
- 6 DIA to Estes Park in mid-Feb. 4x4?
- 7 March in New Mexico
- 8 Is Fox Rent A Car any good?
- 9 Last minute Keys Trip Advice Please
- 10 Driving Alaska
- 11 NYC Girls' Weekend Trip Report
- 12 Yellowstone Hikes questions
- 13 Flowers and Berries in Oregon
- 14 "Unique" New York City Experiences-Yours
- 15 Early 2017 Broadway Banter - "Come From Away"
- 16 Cross country tips
- 17 Zion National Park Hikes and HOtels
- 18 Best May/Jun Yosemite lodging areas: Yosemite West, El Portal, or Wawona?
- 19 Ideas for New York
- 20 Parka in PA during February?
- 21 Restaurants in the San Francisco area
- 22 Sedona v Scottsdale?
- 23 Traveling into the US with Alcohol
- 24 Clear Roads From Seattle to Omaha 12-9-16?
- 25 EWR to Midtown Manhattan