I can't believe it is time to book my trip in a few weeks! I've been asking for advice here for several years and it's finally only a year away! I've wanted to visit the Grand Canyon my entire life - I'm certain that has something to do with the Brady Bunch - but I'm not entirely sure. I'm drawn to the southwest. I visited Phoenix and Sedona twice in my 20's, and I only wish I'd made the effort to go to the Grand Canyon then!
Anyway, This how my trip is shaping up:
Two adults, 40ish. Three kids, 11, 10, and 10 at time of travel.
We will fly from Chicago to Las Vegas. I will get an early flight. I want to hit Hoover Dam - should we go from the airport to Hoover Dam? And then drive to the Grand Canyon? Is that going to be too much for one day?
I want to hit the GC first, because I think Zion will be the most fun - and I think we should do the parks in order from least fun to most fun (from a kid, activity) perspective.
My thought was two nights at the GC. The first night, we'll probably get there late (after flying and visiting Hoover Dam and driving over?). Get up in the morning and Check out the overlooks. Take the shuttle up and down? Eat. I found a place to rent bikes - that is something we would all enjoy. I wonder if I need another day here, now?
Then, move on to Bryce. I thought we'd do a good hike at Bryce one day, and perhaps a horse ride on a second day? Or maybe reverse those (are we going to have issues with the elevation?). (Two nights at Bryce)
Then, Zion - I have three nights in mind for Zion. One day, I'd like to rent gear from Zion Adventure Company and hike the Narrows. On the second day, I'd like to tube on the Virgin River (with Zion Adventure). It will be hot in Zion - and I think the kids would LOVE both of those activities. Then, the third morning, we can get up and head back to Vegas for a flight home. Would this be a better time to hit the Hoover Dam?
Does that seem like a decent itinerary? Do you see anything glaring about what we should drop or add? We're thinking a nice 7 day trip, with those three parks - and then if we fall in love - we can come back and do more. Thanks for any thoughts or input!
Grand Canyon South Rim, Bryce, Zion, June - Activities
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 New England Newbie - Help with 13 night itinerary - October
- 2 Staying at holiday inn express midtown manhattan
- 3 Fairbanks, denali, kenai peninsula
- 4 Las Vegas to San Francisco in October - best route
- 5 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 6 Tucson area flooding
- 7 TripReport--10 Utah Circle
- 8 Relaxing Honeymoon Week
- 9 Trip Report - New York & Washington DC – May 30 – June 4, 2014
- 10 St. Simon, Georgia
- 11 Looking for Next Destination
- 12 4 week family trip ideas
- 13 Dec / Jan in the USA- advice
- 14 Petoskey Fall Break?
- 15 Moving to New Jersey
- 16 Baltimore Inner Harbor to DC - without a car; with luggage - suggestions?
- 17 Eating at south Lake Tahoe
- 18 Which Florida Key for one month stay with infant?
- 19 Planning for Fall Foliage in NE, Oct 2015
- 20 Low Country Honor Flight to Washington DC
- 21 6 Days in NYC and then to Orlando - Best way to fly?
- 22 West Coast Road Trip
- 23 103rd annual northern Navajo nation fair
- 24 Need Minnesota leaf color reports
- 25 Best Sonoma wineries you've never heard of