My family will be out in California this December for my cousin's bat mitzvah (in case you are wondering: this is the younger sister of the bat mitzvah which preceded my solo, carless trip to San Diego two years ago), and I have convinced my parents that, as long as we're on the West Coast already, I want to see the Grand Canyon and that we should make one final American family vacation out of it...
1. Dates/Lodging: We are planning on leaving LA to drive to the GC on Christmas Eve or Christmas (though I haven't yet had time to research the details of that trip thoroughly, so that will be it's own post )
Point is: we'll arrive at the GC shortly after lunch either on December 25 or 26.
We'll be staying at the GC until mid-morning 12/28, when we'll drive to Phoenix (with a very short stop in Sedona to see the rocks??) for the weekend; we will all fly out of Pheonix....
Although we haven't yet booked room(s) (GET ON THAT. I know.), both Yavapai and Maswik Lodge are still showing vacancies, so we aren't too worried -- and we haven't booked because we're trying to decide about that extra night.
I think that the extra day at the GC is worth it, but the family (ranging in age from almost 18-54) is split 2-3 between those of us who want to get down into the canyon and hike the heck out of it and those of us who simply aren't capable of doing that (My mom, for example, who has asthma)....
2. I know that only the South Rim will be open, but I am trying to compile a list and create an itinerary that allows for both some awesome into-the-canyon hiking, and some not-so-strenuous hiking that will not overburden us and will also delight us for 2-3 days.
Any thoughts that you may have about beautiful December hikes or suggestions for enhancing and timing a short pre-New Year's trip would be very much appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Farewell from Ira
- 2 Finding the right moving company. (Calgary to Seattle!)
- 3 Overnight tour from New York to see Washington, D.C.
- 4 Driving San Antonio to Galveston--how to avoid Houston
- 5 Oklahoma - Dallas - Houston - New Orleans - Orlando
- 6 chicago to hibbing
- 7 Long weekend in New Orleans
- 8 NYC Suggestions - Six Week Trip…?
- 9 Return from Bradenton FL back to New Haven CT
- 10 2 months road trip out west - need one way renting mini RV
- 11 Our explorations of the Hudson Valley & Catskills
- 12 Pix from Paradise (the Big Island, Kauai & Maui)
- 13 Hudson Valley Drive Suggestions
- 14 Fun family adventures in/around Charleston?
- 15 Coronado, La Jolla, or Other?
- 16 Cape Cod - around Sandwich
- 17 Historial/Culture-filled restaurants in Savannah, and Atlanta!
- 18 Need a corporate sedan in JFK
- 19 Family vacation itinerary pointers
- 20 The Manhattan Project - The Maitais Return To The Big Apple
- 21 Where to stay in Missoula?
- 22 Recommendations for birthday Sunday brunch near but outside Boston
- 23 Pacific coast road trip
- 24 Springfield, Massachusetts and I-91 : Surprisingly Awesome
- 25 Restaurants in San Francisco and Napa/Sonoma Valley