My family will be out in California this December for my cousin's bat mitzvah (in case you are wondering: this is the younger sister of the bat mitzvah which preceded my solo, carless trip to San Diego two years ago), and I have convinced my parents that, as long as we're on the West Coast already, I want to see the Grand Canyon and that we should make one final American family vacation out of it...
1. Dates/Lodging: We are planning on leaving LA to drive to the GC on Christmas Eve or Christmas (though I haven't yet had time to research the details of that trip thoroughly, so that will be it's own post )
Point is: we'll arrive at the GC shortly after lunch either on December 25 or 26.
We'll be staying at the GC until mid-morning 12/28, when we'll drive to Phoenix (with a very short stop in Sedona to see the rocks??) for the weekend; we will all fly out of Pheonix....
Although we haven't yet booked room(s) (GET ON THAT. I know.), both Yavapai and Maswik Lodge are still showing vacancies, so we aren't too worried -- and we haven't booked because we're trying to decide about that extra night.
I think that the extra day at the GC is worth it, but the family (ranging in age from almost 18-54) is split 2-3 between those of us who want to get down into the canyon and hike the heck out of it and those of us who simply aren't capable of doing that (My mom, for example, who has asthma)....
2. I know that only the South Rim will be open, but I am trying to compile a list and create an itinerary that allows for both some awesome into-the-canyon hiking, and some not-so-strenuous hiking that will not overburden us and will also delight us for 2-3 days.
Any thoughts that you may have about beautiful December hikes or suggestions for enhancing and timing a short pre-New Year's trip would be very much appreciated!
Grand Canyon December 2012
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 5 Days in San Antonio and Austin Texas
- 2 Dad and daughter trip to Santa Fe
- 3 USA New York City: First-time Visitors
- 4 Transportation from Newark airport to Secaucus
- 5 Tipping advice
- 6 3 weeks in USA in February -- refined itinerary
- 7 Wilmington, NC to Raleigh - Anything interesting to see in between?
- 8 charleston during Christmas Week
- 9 Rules of the Sidewalk
- 10 Fort Myers Beach vs Naples Beach
- 11 Avis Car rental Loss Damage Waiver LDW Fraud
- 12 Advanced Reservations for USS Arizona Memorial Available Again
- 13 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 14 Queens, NY - Do not go
- 15 Tuscon to Las Vegas Drive in December
- 16 Hawaii Rental Cars - Book early
- 17 Boston, NYC or Chicago for 3rd weekend in March?
- 18 Maui - Need a Vegan-Friendly Restaurant Recommendation
- 19 Denver Airport to Downtown Sheraton--Transportation Options?
- 20 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 21 Charleston/Savannah/Asheville, 6 days enough?
- 22 Hotel - Caesars Palace OR Signature @ MGM
- 23 Key West Hotel in January
- 24 los angeles restaurants
- 25 West Maui Restaurants