My family will be out in California this December for my cousin's bat mitzvah (in case you are wondering: this is the younger sister of the bat mitzvah which preceded my solo, carless trip to San Diego two years ago), and I have convinced my parents that, as long as we're on the West Coast already, I want to see the Grand Canyon and that we should make one final American family vacation out of it...
1. Dates/Lodging: We are planning on leaving LA to drive to the GC on Christmas Eve or Christmas (though I haven't yet had time to research the details of that trip thoroughly, so that will be it's own post )
Point is: we'll arrive at the GC shortly after lunch either on December 25 or 26.
We'll be staying at the GC until mid-morning 12/28, when we'll drive to Phoenix (with a very short stop in Sedona to see the rocks??) for the weekend; we will all fly out of Pheonix....
Although we haven't yet booked room(s) (GET ON THAT. I know.), both Yavapai and Maswik Lodge are still showing vacancies, so we aren't too worried -- and we haven't booked because we're trying to decide about that extra night.
I think that the extra day at the GC is worth it, but the family (ranging in age from almost 18-54) is split 2-3 between those of us who want to get down into the canyon and hike the heck out of it and those of us who simply aren't capable of doing that (My mom, for example, who has asthma)....
2. I know that only the South Rim will be open, but I am trying to compile a list and create an itinerary that allows for both some awesome into-the-canyon hiking, and some not-so-strenuous hiking that will not overburden us and will also delight us for 2-3 days.
Any thoughts that you may have about beautiful December hikes or suggestions for enhancing and timing a short pre-New Year's trip would be very much appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Restaurants in DC
- 2 DC area hotel for end of June...
- 3 Christmas at Grand Canyon
- 4 Nashville restaurants
- 5 Western US Road Trip- PeakBagging
- 6 Driving from Carmel to Incline Village on Wednesday
- 7 Is Silverwood Amusement park worth a visit?
- 8 Early 30's Couple Spending Two Weeks in Coastal Maine and Canada
- 9 NYC - 10-day visit!!!
- 10 Driving northern AL to central FL
- 11 Road trip from D.C. to Maine
- 12 Uber Ride from LV to South Rim, Grand Canyon?
- 13 MO road trip itinerary
- 14 Late winter road trip Deep South
- 15 4 days in wine country. Where should we stay?
- 16 Bryce Canyon Astronomy Festival
- 17 Empire Sate: best time; best vendor etcx
- 18 Birthday vacation ideas
- 19 San Francisco to Costa Mesa
- 20 Highlights of our return to Kauai
- 21 Travel from Boise, Idaho to Grand Canyon
- 22 Who offers multi-island guided birding trips in Hawaii?
- 23 philly to fredericksburg sat of memorial day wknd - bad idea?
- 24 Where to visit driving through coast of Maine
- 25 Scenic / Walking Day Trip from Las Vegas