DH and I are going to the College World series in Omaha this coming June. We have our reservations at the Omaha Hilton and got tickets last Saturday morning when they went on sale. We will arrive on Tuesday in time for games 7 and 8, driving from Las Cruces, NM and we will stay through Friday morning, after watching games 9 and 10 on Wednesday and Thursday.
On the drive up we are tentatively planning to overnight near Palo Duro Canyon State Park, just outside of Amarillo, TX and visit the park in the morning. From there we thought we would head towards the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the Flint Hills Scenic Byway, over-nighting somewhere within about a three or four hours drive to Omaha.
Any suggestions as to other scenic sights along this general route ( or places to stay or places to eat ) - we may just head quickly from Amarillo to Omaha and then visit the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the byway on the way home.
In Omaha, during the day on Wednesday and Thursday, we are thinking of visiting the zoo and Lauritzen Gardens. Coments, other suggestions?
Any suggestions for restaurants in Omaha? We tend to avoid chain restaurants and probably don't want anything too fancy, but we appreciate all types of good food. Suggestions welcome.
We are very excited about going - I have really enjoyed watching the CWS on ESPN and we wanted to get there this year while it was still being held in Rosenblatt Stadium.
All suggestions are gratefully received
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Southern Cali itinerary help
- 2 Maine
- 3 Driving tips for San Diego, Palm Springs, Ventura
- 4 Coronado, La Jolla, or Other?
- 5 2nd attempt - Road trip to Utah in Dec 2015
- 6 Restaurants close to King's Station?
- 7 Santa Barbara/Ojai?
- 8 DC/MD/VA GTG in the Fall, Lunch on Oct. 3
- 9 Road trip from Albuquerque to Grand Canyon to Phoenix in February or March
- 10 Back From Alaska
- 11 Pacific coast road trip
- 12 December trip to see snow
- 13 Driving San Antonio to Galveston--how to avoid Houston
- 14 Driving from south Florida to San Diego late September...where to stop?
- 15 Dining and wining in Dallas
- 16 Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- 17 Senior Travel Helper
- 18 your favorite city USA?
- 19 Help with VT/NH driving trip in October
- 20 Source of Legionnaire's Disease in NYC Confirmed
- 21 NYC Suggestions - Six Week Trip…?
- 22 WestInn Times Sq. eating and transport options please
- 23 Help with driving East to West
- 24 ogunquit or kennenukport
- 25 5 nights/6 days in Honolulu during Thanksgiving
Going to the CWS - What else to do in Omaha and on the way?