DH and I are going to the College World series in Omaha this coming June. We have our reservations at the Omaha Hilton and got tickets last Saturday morning when they went on sale. We will arrive on Tuesday in time for games 7 and 8, driving from Las Cruces, NM and we will stay through Friday morning, after watching games 9 and 10 on Wednesday and Thursday.
On the drive up we are tentatively planning to overnight near Palo Duro Canyon State Park, just outside of Amarillo, TX and visit the park in the morning. From there we thought we would head towards the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the Flint Hills Scenic Byway, over-nighting somewhere within about a three or four hours drive to Omaha.
Any suggestions as to other scenic sights along this general route ( or places to stay or places to eat ) - we may just head quickly from Amarillo to Omaha and then visit the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the byway on the way home.
In Omaha, during the day on Wednesday and Thursday, we are thinking of visiting the zoo and Lauritzen Gardens. Coments, other suggestions?
Any suggestions for restaurants in Omaha? We tend to avoid chain restaurants and probably don't want anything too fancy, but we appreciate all types of good food. Suggestions welcome.
We are very excited about going - I have really enjoyed watching the CWS on ESPN and we wanted to get there this year while it was still being held in Rosenblatt Stadium.
All suggestions are gratefully received
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 RV road trip from CA to Idaho, Montana, Wyoming
- 2 PRAY FOR THE LEG !!!
- 3 PNW & its grudge against the bumbershoot
- 4 Driving from Chicago to Sacramento
- 5 Short Oregon Trip
- 6 Hotel location Albuquerque
- 7 New offer from Southwest for California residents
- 8 Yellowstone/Glacier - a cabin with a view
- 9 Trip for 2 to Colorado need ideas.
- 10 Another JFK to Manhattan Question
- 11 Savannah or Charleston- If you had to choose.
- 12 Cruising the Cs: Canyon de Chelly, Canyonlands, and Capitol Reef
- 13 Has anyone tried Car Wiz for rentals?
- 14 Short Notice
- 15 Advice needed: first trip to Hawaii
- 16 4 days in San Francisco
- 17 LA Cali for 3 days alone, What To Do?
- 18 Novel in Progress
- 19 5 Days in Charleston and Savannah in December?
- 20 Pawley's Island, SC Favorite Restaurants?
- 21 Eating Well In Manhatten
- 22 Rental car between Providence, RI and Woodstock CT
- 23 Norris Geyser Basin - Yellowstone National Park
- 24 Another Great DC Trip
- 25 Place to watch World Series in St. Pete Beach?
Going to the CWS - What else to do in Omaha and on the way?