DH and I are going to the College World series in Omaha this coming June. We have our reservations at the Omaha Hilton and got tickets last Saturday morning when they went on sale. We will arrive on Tuesday in time for games 7 and 8, driving from Las Cruces, NM and we will stay through Friday morning, after watching games 9 and 10 on Wednesday and Thursday.
On the drive up we are tentatively planning to overnight near Palo Duro Canyon State Park, just outside of Amarillo, TX and visit the park in the morning. From there we thought we would head towards the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the Flint Hills Scenic Byway, over-nighting somewhere within about a three or four hours drive to Omaha.
Any suggestions as to other scenic sights along this general route ( or places to stay or places to eat ) - we may just head quickly from Amarillo to Omaha and then visit the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the byway on the way home.
In Omaha, during the day on Wednesday and Thursday, we are thinking of visiting the zoo and Lauritzen Gardens. Coments, other suggestions?
Any suggestions for restaurants in Omaha? We tend to avoid chain restaurants and probably don't want anything too fancy, but we appreciate all types of good food. Suggestions welcome.
We are very excited about going - I have really enjoyed watching the CWS on ESPN and we wanted to get there this year while it was still being held in Rosenblatt Stadium.
All suggestions are gratefully received
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 San Diego/La Jolla?
- 2 Walking Safety Near Boston Common
- 3 Hawaii - June vs Aug, hotel vs rental
- 4 Revisiting Kauai: Heartbreak and Happiness
- 5 California Trip
- 6 Northeast/Mid-Atlantics States History/Beach Vacation
- 7 Need help nailing down the details
- 8 Metropolitan Opera - good seats?
- 9 Florida Beaches Compared To Caribbean
- 10 Proposed Los Angeles itinerary, almost exclusively without a car
- 11 Turo?
- 12 Seattle or Portland or Vancouver?
- 13 Recommendations for Hikes in Glacier National Park
- 14 SW Colorado-help with details please
- 15 Tohono Chul Tucson?
- 16 NYC For The Day
- 17 Alaska cruise excursions?
- 18 Senior citizens traveling as groupl
- 19 Breckenridge, Estes Park, and Fort Collins in May
- 20 NEW ORLEANS AND CAJUN COUNTRY...A WEEK-LONG FOOD QUEST
- 21 Tour of the Grand Circle USA .HELP!
- 22 Cross Country Road Trip VA - San Francisco
- 23 Laguna Beach Hotel
- 24 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
- 25 US whole month of January where to
Going to the CWS - What else to do in Omaha and on the way?