DH and I are going to the College World series in Omaha this coming June. We have our reservations at the Omaha Hilton and got tickets last Saturday morning when they went on sale. We will arrive on Tuesday in time for games 7 and 8, driving from Las Cruces, NM and we will stay through Friday morning, after watching games 9 and 10 on Wednesday and Thursday.
On the drive up we are tentatively planning to overnight near Palo Duro Canyon State Park, just outside of Amarillo, TX and visit the park in the morning. From there we thought we would head towards the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the Flint Hills Scenic Byway, over-nighting somewhere within about a three or four hours drive to Omaha.
Any suggestions as to other scenic sights along this general route ( or places to stay or places to eat ) - we may just head quickly from Amarillo to Omaha and then visit the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the byway on the way home.
In Omaha, during the day on Wednesday and Thursday, we are thinking of visiting the zoo and Lauritzen Gardens. Coments, other suggestions?
Any suggestions for restaurants in Omaha? We tend to avoid chain restaurants and probably don't want anything too fancy, but we appreciate all types of good food. Suggestions welcome.
We are very excited about going - I have really enjoyed watching the CWS on ESPN and we wanted to get there this year while it was still being held in Rosenblatt Stadium.
All suggestions are gratefully received
Going to the CWS - What else to do in Omaha and on the way?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 What do you do when your VRBO rental is a nightmare in Lake Geneva?
- 2 Packer game hotel on the bus line.
- 3 What to do x5 days after Disneyworld for couple w/no kids.
- 4 DC in Dec-Restaurant ideas near Hilton Mark Alexandria
- 5 East Coast to West Coast travel route
- 6 Transportation: Clearwater airport to the coast
- 7 Need good hotel for couple with teen daughter for 2 nights: shopping, plays, not over $600. Which???
- 8 Washington DC in Spring?
- 9 Things to do in and around Westbrook, CT in November 2014
- 10 Relocation: Where Do We Fit In
- 11 Richmond highlights?
- 12 4 week family trip ideas
- 13 NYC becoming a battleground for Air BnB apartment rentals
- 14 Broadway this week
- 15 Weekend in NYC
- 16 Accommodations in Floriday keys
- 17 Quick advice needed for 1st visit to HNL & Kauai
- 18 Booked our NYC hotel (thanks!), would like restaurant recommendations!
- 19 Drinking a beer in all 50 states for cancer reseach. Need bar suggestions!
- 20 New York, New York...
- 21 Shuttle Service from Newark
- 22 trains in Europe
- 23 Grand Teton & Yellowstone & ???
- 24 Road trips - CHI-ATL and MEM-NOLA - April/May 2014
- 25 USA trip