DH and I are going to the College World series in Omaha this coming June. We have our reservations at the Omaha Hilton and got tickets last Saturday morning when they went on sale. We will arrive on Tuesday in time for games 7 and 8, driving from Las Cruces, NM and we will stay through Friday morning, after watching games 9 and 10 on Wednesday and Thursday.
On the drive up we are tentatively planning to overnight near Palo Duro Canyon State Park, just outside of Amarillo, TX and visit the park in the morning. From there we thought we would head towards the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the Flint Hills Scenic Byway, over-nighting somewhere within about a three or four hours drive to Omaha.
Any suggestions as to other scenic sights along this general route ( or places to stay or places to eat ) - we may just head quickly from Amarillo to Omaha and then visit the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the byway on the way home.
In Omaha, during the day on Wednesday and Thursday, we are thinking of visiting the zoo and Lauritzen Gardens. Coments, other suggestions?
Any suggestions for restaurants in Omaha? We tend to avoid chain restaurants and probably don't want anything too fancy, but we appreciate all types of good food. Suggestions welcome.
We are very excited about going - I have really enjoyed watching the CWS on ESPN and we wanted to get there this year while it was still being held in Rosenblatt Stadium.
All suggestions are gratefully received
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Itinerary help for 3-night stay in DC?
- 2 Mill Valley California Walks and Hikes
- 3 Itinerary help for a 3-night stay in NYC?
- 4 North Oregon Coast touring
- 5 New Orleans logistics
- 6 16 Days Utah National Parks
- 7 Drive time from Lynwood to CenturyLink Field
- 8 Yosemite/SNP/SFO itinerary
- 9 Driving from Seattle to San Deigo
- 10 Help Please: From JFK to 5th Avenue?
- 11 Boston--Another Art Mission
- 12 Easy to Moderate Hikes - Moab Area
- 13 Brit worried about weather in Santa Barbara !
- 14 Magazine St. and Garden District favorites
- 15 My Vegas TR
- 16 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 17 Country bumpkins road trip from Nashville to Dallas
- 18 15 Nt Feb Trip (7 in Waikiki). Possible to do South Kauai & Big Island?
- 19 Marthas Vineyard Ferry Questions
- 20 hawaii location for young couple needed
- 21 Maine for 9 Days- Where to begin??
- 22 Texas exploring for 18 days
- 23 flying from los angeles to see the south ??
- 24 5 Things Not to Miss in NYC?
- 25 New Orleans to Savannah two weeks
Going to the CWS - What else to do in Omaha and on the way?