DH and I are going to the College World series in Omaha this coming June. We have our reservations at the Omaha Hilton and got tickets last Saturday morning when they went on sale. We will arrive on Tuesday in time for games 7 and 8, driving from Las Cruces, NM and we will stay through Friday morning, after watching games 9 and 10 on Wednesday and Thursday.
On the drive up we are tentatively planning to overnight near Palo Duro Canyon State Park, just outside of Amarillo, TX and visit the park in the morning. From there we thought we would head towards the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the Flint Hills Scenic Byway, over-nighting somewhere within about a three or four hours drive to Omaha.
Any suggestions as to other scenic sights along this general route ( or places to stay or places to eat ) - we may just head quickly from Amarillo to Omaha and then visit the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the byway on the way home.
In Omaha, during the day on Wednesday and Thursday, we are thinking of visiting the zoo and Lauritzen Gardens. Coments, other suggestions?
Any suggestions for restaurants in Omaha? We tend to avoid chain restaurants and probably don't want anything too fancy, but we appreciate all types of good food. Suggestions welcome.
We are very excited about going - I have really enjoyed watching the CWS on ESPN and we wanted to get there this year while it was still being held in Rosenblatt Stadium.
All suggestions are gratefully received
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 2 days in DC with 18 year old
- 2 Need advice about Toms River/Seaside Heights NJ
- 3 What's the 14th Street area like?
- 4 California Road Trip: SFO-Mount Shasta-Monterey (10 days)
- 5 Western National Parks Road Trip (Revised)
- 6 Mystic CT
- 7 Florida - East Coast vs. Gulf Coast - opinion asap
- 8 Maui in October? Hyatt Regency, or quieter spot??
- 9 How to search for condo rental in Oahu
- 10 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
- 11 Western National Parks Road Trip
- 12 A June trip to Kauai
- 13 Los Angeles - 12 hours in Downtown Travel Report
- 14 Your favourite places in New York City
- 15 The city never sleeps, but we needed to
- 16 Seattle to Gardiner by car.
- 17 Orlando - condoleances
- 18 Jazz and dinner -- Chicago
- 19 1st trip to Colorado
- 20 Is Coney Island worth a trip if you don't like rides?
- 21 DC to Harrisonburg- need good hike
- 22 Sunday gospel mass in Harlem
- 23 Napa Valley Hotel
- 24 Southwest charging USD15/ for early bird check in
- 25 Thanksgiving Day in NYC
Going to the CWS - What else to do in Omaha and on the way?