DH and I are going to the College World series in Omaha this coming June. We have our reservations at the Omaha Hilton and got tickets last Saturday morning when they went on sale. We will arrive on Tuesday in time for games 7 and 8, driving from Las Cruces, NM and we will stay through Friday morning, after watching games 9 and 10 on Wednesday and Thursday.
On the drive up we are tentatively planning to overnight near Palo Duro Canyon State Park, just outside of Amarillo, TX and visit the park in the morning. From there we thought we would head towards the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the Flint Hills Scenic Byway, over-nighting somewhere within about a three or four hours drive to Omaha.
Any suggestions as to other scenic sights along this general route ( or places to stay or places to eat ) - we may just head quickly from Amarillo to Omaha and then visit the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the byway on the way home.
In Omaha, during the day on Wednesday and Thursday, we are thinking of visiting the zoo and Lauritzen Gardens. Coments, other suggestions?
Any suggestions for restaurants in Omaha? We tend to avoid chain restaurants and probably don't want anything too fancy, but we appreciate all types of good food. Suggestions welcome.
We are very excited about going - I have really enjoyed watching the CWS on ESPN and we wanted to get there this year while it was still being held in Rosenblatt Stadium.
All suggestions are gratefully received
Going to the CWS - What else to do in Omaha and on the way?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 NYC Clubs for live music
- 2 NEW YORK CITY!!!
- 3 Beachfront house rental - Fort Walton Beach/ Destin area
- 4 Seattle Hyatts
- 5 Another Southwest Airlines Early Bird Question
- 6 Detroit area getaway - outside of the city
- 7 Mesa Verde
- 8 LUNCH IN ORLANDO, FL
- 9 Hearst Castle - Is the Grand Rooms tour really the best for first timers?
- 10 Amtrak Train from California to Oregon or Washington
- 11 Coastal New England Road trip
- 12 Seattle: Something Different?
- 13 No accomodation in Hana...should we forget about it?
- 14 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 15 Bienville Hotel or Le Marais in New Orleans French Quarter
- 16 Boston Logan airport to Salem MA
- 17 Heading to Maine in September - Where are the moose?
- 18 Half Moon Bay, CA - stay there or go to Napa Valley?
- 19 Park City ideas
- 20 5 days and 4 nights outside of San Francisco
- 21 LA via Death Valley, Grand Canyon to Vegas
- 22 Alaska trip -Labor Day weekend
- 23 ONP help
- 24 Bar Harbor Maine to Boston
- 25 LA, San Diego and San Francisco in 8 days -- can/should we try?