DH and I are going to the College World series in Omaha this coming June. We have our reservations at the Omaha Hilton and got tickets last Saturday morning when they went on sale. We will arrive on Tuesday in time for games 7 and 8, driving from Las Cruces, NM and we will stay through Friday morning, after watching games 9 and 10 on Wednesday and Thursday.
On the drive up we are tentatively planning to overnight near Palo Duro Canyon State Park, just outside of Amarillo, TX and visit the park in the morning. From there we thought we would head towards the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the Flint Hills Scenic Byway, over-nighting somewhere within about a three or four hours drive to Omaha.
Any suggestions as to other scenic sights along this general route ( or places to stay or places to eat ) - we may just head quickly from Amarillo to Omaha and then visit the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the byway on the way home.
In Omaha, during the day on Wednesday and Thursday, we are thinking of visiting the zoo and Lauritzen Gardens. Coments, other suggestions?
Any suggestions for restaurants in Omaha? We tend to avoid chain restaurants and probably don't want anything too fancy, but we appreciate all types of good food. Suggestions welcome.
We are very excited about going - I have really enjoyed watching the CWS on ESPN and we wanted to get there this year while it was still being held in Rosenblatt Stadium.
All suggestions are gratefully received
Going to the CWS - What else to do in Omaha and on the way?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Spring Break in Charleston
- 2 Road Trip From Miami to New York, Ideas please!
- 3 Friendship, fiddling, and freezing in Boston
- 4 Charleston Airport Hotel
- 5 Berkshires
- 6 Charleston, SC 5 days
- 7 Prince of Wales or Many Glacier? WHY?
- 8 Chicago - Girl Scout Itinerary
- 9 Sea world San Diego
- 10 Suggested route for National Park's drive, starting in Glacier NP.........
- 11 Disappointed with Budget Car Rental Las Vegas
- 12 Student-budget trip to NewYorkCity HELP please
- 13 Need a recommendation for lodging on Kauai (North or South side of Island)
- 14 Car rentals- San Francisco
- 15 Fiery Furnace Hike in Arches national park
- 16 Jersey Shore to NYC?
- 17 Portland to San Fransisco in 7 days in mid March
- 18 Las Vegas in March
- 19 Just started to plan my Mid-March visit to Alaska!
- 20 Where is the best shrimp on Oahu
- 21 Hotel: Union Sq. or Fisherman's Wharf?
- 22 September Long Weekend in SW Colorado
- 23 Clearwater visit.
- 24 Centrally located hotel in Philadelphia
- 25 Glacier National Park 10 Days