DH and I are going to the College World series in Omaha this coming June. We have our reservations at the Omaha Hilton and got tickets last Saturday morning when they went on sale. We will arrive on Tuesday in time for games 7 and 8, driving from Las Cruces, NM and we will stay through Friday morning, after watching games 9 and 10 on Wednesday and Thursday.
On the drive up we are tentatively planning to overnight near Palo Duro Canyon State Park, just outside of Amarillo, TX and visit the park in the morning. From there we thought we would head towards the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the Flint Hills Scenic Byway, over-nighting somewhere within about a three or four hours drive to Omaha.
Any suggestions as to other scenic sights along this general route ( or places to stay or places to eat ) - we may just head quickly from Amarillo to Omaha and then visit the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the byway on the way home.
In Omaha, during the day on Wednesday and Thursday, we are thinking of visiting the zoo and Lauritzen Gardens. Coments, other suggestions?
Any suggestions for restaurants in Omaha? We tend to avoid chain restaurants and probably don't want anything too fancy, but we appreciate all types of good food. Suggestions welcome.
We are very excited about going - I have really enjoyed watching the CWS on ESPN and we wanted to get there this year while it was still being held in Rosenblatt Stadium.
All suggestions are gratefully received
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Help me with Sonoma Desert….
- 2 Hawaii Trip in May
- 3 Utah/Vegas road trip - directions
- 4 A week in NYC - first timers
- 5 DC -> Boulder
- 6 Wailea Restaurants?
- 7 Family vacation itinerary pointers
- 8 Rome/Florence
- 9 Colorado - Photography
- 10 Cross-country roadtrip in Oct/Nov. SUV or full-size?
- 11 Where to stay in NYC
- 12 Road Trippin' in Texas
- 13 Need help planning Arizona & California Desert trip in March
- 14 DC/MD/VA GTG in the Fall, Lunch on Oct. 3
- 15 Tour of Fed bank NYC
- 16 New Orleans for Thanksgiving
- 17 Proposal in Siesta Key, FL
- 18 Georgia to Fairbanks
- 19 Epicurean Tour in Portland
- 20 Suggestion on my first visit to Grand Canyon
- 21 Oahu Trip Report (Aulani, North Shore, Manoa Valley, Hanauma Bay)
- 22 NYC: (Mostly) Solo, and (Mostly) No Top Tens!
- 23 Best Scenic Islands in Washington State
- 24 Fall trip, is it a good time?
- 25 Driving from OKC, OK to Seattle, WA in the dead of winter..
Going to the CWS - What else to do in Omaha and on the way?