DH and I are going to the College World series in Omaha this coming June. We have our reservations at the Omaha Hilton and got tickets last Saturday morning when they went on sale. We will arrive on Tuesday in time for games 7 and 8, driving from Las Cruces, NM and we will stay through Friday morning, after watching games 9 and 10 on Wednesday and Thursday.
On the drive up we are tentatively planning to overnight near Palo Duro Canyon State Park, just outside of Amarillo, TX and visit the park in the morning. From there we thought we would head towards the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the Flint Hills Scenic Byway, over-nighting somewhere within about a three or four hours drive to Omaha.
Any suggestions as to other scenic sights along this general route ( or places to stay or places to eat ) - we may just head quickly from Amarillo to Omaha and then visit the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the byway on the way home.
In Omaha, during the day on Wednesday and Thursday, we are thinking of visiting the zoo and Lauritzen Gardens. Coments, other suggestions?
Any suggestions for restaurants in Omaha? We tend to avoid chain restaurants and probably don't want anything too fancy, but we appreciate all types of good food. Suggestions welcome.
We are very excited about going - I have really enjoyed watching the CWS on ESPN and we wanted to get there this year while it was still being held in Rosenblatt Stadium.
All suggestions are gratefully received
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 First Time to Seattle-Portland-Willamette Valley
- 2 Four days in Maine for Anniversary & Birthday
- 3 Curious question about drug tests and Amsterdam...
- 4 June 2018 cruise in SE Alaska
- 5 Makana Charter Reviews in Kauai?
- 6 Holton Head, Amelia Island or ????
- 7 Florida with a 2 year old
- 8 Boat Tour Suggestion in Kauai or Helicopter Instead?
- 9 7 days in colorado
- 10 transportation from Plano TX to Norman OK
- 11 yk's family trip to The Berkshires, July 2017
- 12 Which National Park summer 2018 with kids
- 13 Tetons, Yellowstone help
- 14 Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Zion..
- 15 Denver to Mesa Verde National Park
- 16 Please provide info on NYC Tenement Museum
- 17 City of Seattle: What we might miss and the kick ourselves later
- 18 WNY, Cleveland, and Niagara on the Lake
- 19 Is a trip to the Florida keys for us?
- 20 watching solar eclipse in Portland
- 21 Annual Trip to NOLA - Satchmo and Flooding ?!?
- 22 WEST POINT ACADEMY GRADUATION via Catskills & mid-Hudson Valley
- 23 Best LUXURY, Ocean Front Condo Rental on Maui for TWO
- 24 Family road trip
- 25 Solo Yosemite Lodging
Going to the CWS - What else to do in Omaha and on the way?