DH and I are going to the College World series in Omaha this coming June. We have our reservations at the Omaha Hilton and got tickets last Saturday morning when they went on sale. We will arrive on Tuesday in time for games 7 and 8, driving from Las Cruces, NM and we will stay through Friday morning, after watching games 9 and 10 on Wednesday and Thursday.
On the drive up we are tentatively planning to overnight near Palo Duro Canyon State Park, just outside of Amarillo, TX and visit the park in the morning. From there we thought we would head towards the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the Flint Hills Scenic Byway, over-nighting somewhere within about a three or four hours drive to Omaha.
Any suggestions as to other scenic sights along this general route ( or places to stay or places to eat ) - we may just head quickly from Amarillo to Omaha and then visit the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the byway on the way home.
In Omaha, during the day on Wednesday and Thursday, we are thinking of visiting the zoo and Lauritzen Gardens. Coments, other suggestions?
Any suggestions for restaurants in Omaha? We tend to avoid chain restaurants and probably don't want anything too fancy, but we appreciate all types of good food. Suggestions welcome.
We are very excited about going - I have really enjoyed watching the CWS on ESPN and we wanted to get there this year while it was still being held in Rosenblatt Stadium.
All suggestions are gratefully received
Going to the CWS - What else to do in Omaha and on the way?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 2 California (San Francisco, Napa,Carmel/Monterey,Santa Barbara,San Diego)
- 3 Seeking advice for Glacier National Park
- 4 Ideas for a family on a roadtrip around Denver and Utah
- 5 Clearwater FL area
- 6 Fall trip, best location to stay in Vermont. Need help please.
- 7 Los Angeles day trips
- 8 Rapid City to Yellowstone Route
- 9 Business in San diego and then a weeks vacation?
- 10 trip advice from TN to TX
- 11 san diego or nearby area
- 12 middlebury vt snow
- 13 NY to Asheville then country place to stay
- 14 Charlotte NC Lodging & Driving Question
- 15 First Trip to California with Family of 6
- 16 ski trip: utah or colorado
- 17 Caklifornia & Oregon
- 18 Help with Moab itinerary for an overacheiver
- 19 Kauai - day trips to North shore and Waimea Canyon/Kokee State Park
- 20 Route 50 between Virginia and Missouri--Scenic?
- 21 San Fran to Yosemite one night stay
- 22 Drive down the West Coast 2015
- 23 What is the weather like in Kona in November?
- 24 Chattanooga to Washington DC via Blue Ridge Parkway
- 25 Warning: Recent increase in violent crime in New Orleans' French Quarter