DH and I are going to the College World series in Omaha this coming June. We have our reservations at the Omaha Hilton and got tickets last Saturday morning when they went on sale. We will arrive on Tuesday in time for games 7 and 8, driving from Las Cruces, NM and we will stay through Friday morning, after watching games 9 and 10 on Wednesday and Thursday.
On the drive up we are tentatively planning to overnight near Palo Duro Canyon State Park, just outside of Amarillo, TX and visit the park in the morning. From there we thought we would head towards the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the Flint Hills Scenic Byway, over-nighting somewhere within about a three or four hours drive to Omaha.
Any suggestions as to other scenic sights along this general route ( or places to stay or places to eat ) - we may just head quickly from Amarillo to Omaha and then visit the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the byway on the way home.
In Omaha, during the day on Wednesday and Thursday, we are thinking of visiting the zoo and Lauritzen Gardens. Coments, other suggestions?
Any suggestions for restaurants in Omaha? We tend to avoid chain restaurants and probably don't want anything too fancy, but we appreciate all types of good food. Suggestions welcome.
We are very excited about going - I have really enjoyed watching the CWS on ESPN and we wanted to get there this year while it was still being held in Rosenblatt Stadium.
All suggestions are gratefully received
Going to the CWS - What else to do in Omaha and on the way?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 vegas with two teens 13 & 14yo
- 2 Amtrak Train from California to Oregon or Washington
- 3 San Fran to Las Vegas drive
- 4 Los Angeles itinerary for August trip
- 5 Day trip to CT from NYC
- 6 A weekend escape around cooperstown ny
- 7 Road Trip SW
- 8 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 9 California road trip
- 10 Seattle, Portland, and day trips all around
- 11 Atascadero -> Pacific Grove -> San Francisco
- 12 Keystone, CO & area - inside activities?
- 13 Hiking Arches or Canyonlands National Park in fall?
- 14 Another Southwest Airlines Early Bird Question
- 15 Kauai -- Music Lovers!!!
- 16 Gulf Shores Restaurants
- 17 Yosemite Fire
- 18 Lodging - Yosemite
- 19 3 weeks covering SF, Monterey, Lake Isabella, Las Vegas and LA (Disney)
- 20 Mesa Verde National Park - a Photo Album on Flickr
- 21 Place to Grab a Bite to Eat near Wilmington train station?
- 22 Relocating Tips - Mild Weather, Good Schools, Low Cost of Living
- 23 An RV trip along the coast
- 24 Yellowstone 3 day itinerary advice
- 25 Trip Report: New York City July 25-27, 2014