DH and I are going to the College World series in Omaha this coming June. We have our reservations at the Omaha Hilton and got tickets last Saturday morning when they went on sale. We will arrive on Tuesday in time for games 7 and 8, driving from Las Cruces, NM and we will stay through Friday morning, after watching games 9 and 10 on Wednesday and Thursday.
On the drive up we are tentatively planning to overnight near Palo Duro Canyon State Park, just outside of Amarillo, TX and visit the park in the morning. From there we thought we would head towards the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the Flint Hills Scenic Byway, over-nighting somewhere within about a three or four hours drive to Omaha.
Any suggestions as to other scenic sights along this general route ( or places to stay or places to eat ) - we may just head quickly from Amarillo to Omaha and then visit the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the byway on the way home.
In Omaha, during the day on Wednesday and Thursday, we are thinking of visiting the zoo and Lauritzen Gardens. Coments, other suggestions?
Any suggestions for restaurants in Omaha? We tend to avoid chain restaurants and probably don't want anything too fancy, but we appreciate all types of good food. Suggestions welcome.
We are very excited about going - I have really enjoyed watching the CWS on ESPN and we wanted to get there this year while it was still being held in Rosenblatt Stadium.
All suggestions are gratefully received
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Cross country road trip to the east coast- here we go...
- 2 Pls help keep dolphins happy & healthy
- 3 Chicago marathon - Leaving hotel to MDW
- 4 Are you sick from Alaskan tour?
- 5 November redwoods trip
- 6 blue ridge parkway?
- 7 Charleston - how long to stay?
- 8 Esta "Not Authorized to Travel"
- 9 Destination and route guidance needed for Oct trip to New England.
- 10 Spring Break trip to National Park
- 11 Sequoia/Redwoods Large Group Lodging
- 12 EWR to Staten Island 9:50PM
- 13 Wedding gifts?
- 14 Big Sur evacuated due to Soberanes fire August 7, 2016
- 15 Trip to Vegas/GC/LA - need advice pleasd
- 16 Moab Tenting end of Oct?
- 17 NYC lodging help needed for Oct 12-15
- 18 Seattle Ho
- 19 Making the Most of a few days in Silicon Valley
- 20 SF Area - Fall Family Trip
- 21 California trip .. some guidance needed
- 22 Hamilton - Are There Bad Seats at the Rodgers?
- 23 First Trip to New Mexico
- 24 Springfield, Illinois and no car. Worth a slight detour?
- 25 Southern history- walkable cities
Going to the CWS - What else to do in Omaha and on the way?