DH and I are going to the College World series in Omaha this coming June. We have our reservations at the Omaha Hilton and got tickets last Saturday morning when they went on sale. We will arrive on Tuesday in time for games 7 and 8, driving from Las Cruces, NM and we will stay through Friday morning, after watching games 9 and 10 on Wednesday and Thursday.
On the drive up we are tentatively planning to overnight near Palo Duro Canyon State Park, just outside of Amarillo, TX and visit the park in the morning. From there we thought we would head towards the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the Flint Hills Scenic Byway, over-nighting somewhere within about a three or four hours drive to Omaha.
Any suggestions as to other scenic sights along this general route ( or places to stay or places to eat ) - we may just head quickly from Amarillo to Omaha and then visit the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the byway on the way home.
In Omaha, during the day on Wednesday and Thursday, we are thinking of visiting the zoo and Lauritzen Gardens. Coments, other suggestions?
Any suggestions for restaurants in Omaha? We tend to avoid chain restaurants and probably don't want anything too fancy, but we appreciate all types of good food. Suggestions welcome.
We are very excited about going - I have really enjoyed watching the CWS on ESPN and we wanted to get there this year while it was still being held in Rosenblatt Stadium.
All suggestions are gratefully received
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Six Flags and Lake George, NY
- 2 SUV v. Minivan for national park summer driving or does it not matter?
- 3 Traveling alone to Las Vegas
- 4 Staying at Belvedere in Sept--how early to make reservations?
- 5 Does the "Real USA" (still) exist?
- 6 New York City Christmas 2015
- 7 Where to stay in South Carolina?
- 8 Philadelphia to Boston
- 9 Seattle to Portland- ideas for places to stay?
- 10 Kayaking at Old Forge, NY
- 11 Itinerary advice first time to USA SF-YNP-LV-LA-SF
- 12 New York overnight - dinner & after choices
- 13 Lake Winnipesauke, NH
- 14 Advice on tipping
- 15 Restaurants in Sanibel/Captiva
- 16 Driving from New York to Atlanta,Ga
- 17 A Week in New York City
- 18 Help finalize my Colorado activities & lodging
- 19 NYC itinerary 5 days
- 20 Inflatable kayaks--pros and cons
- 21 Trip Report - San Francisco advise for 1st timers like us!!
- 22 Santa Cruz downtown to San Jose Airport via public transit
- 23 Yosemite Visit
- 24 Los Angeles 4 nghts/5days
- 25 The Big Island, Kauai, and Maui: A Songdoc Trip Report
Going to the CWS - What else to do in Omaha and on the way?