We're planning a late Feb / early March 2014 trip to Alaska for our honeymoon. Our itinerary (rough at this point) is the following:
(1) fly into Anchorage, rent car
- drive to Girdwood and stay in vicinity of Alyeska Ski Resort (likely Hotel Alyeska)
(3) drive to Whittier, kayak or cruise Prince William Sound to enjoy glaciers and wildlife
(4) ski, drive back to Anchorage in the evening, return car and fly to Fairbanks
- rent car in Fairbanks and stay outside of town (likely Dale & Jo's View Suites)
- spend the next 4-5 nights watching the Aurora forecast and trying to catch a northern lights show
- see some of Fairbanks during the days, possibly with hikes, cross country skiing or kayaking the Chena River
I've been having trouble finding a glacier cruise for Prince William Sound in March -- it seems most companies run their boats from May to September. Can anyone recommend a company that operates through the winter, either with day cruises, kayaks or both? We'd like to depart from Whittier, but will drive to Seward if we must.
Any suggestions for things to catch in Fairbanks during our stay? We're planning our 4-5 nights around the first week of March, but have some flexibility if necessary.
Any other tips or suggestions?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Day in Spokane
- 2 Help Planning Zion/Bryce Itinerary
- 3 Napa valley getaway
- 4 Best restaurants?! - first time to NYC!
- 5 San Francisco through Colorado Rockies
- 6 Lake Tahoe hotel with a lake view
- 7 Marriott or Sheraton in Orlando?
- 8 CA Fire - need revised itinerary help
- 9 AUGUST---7 day San Fran to San Diego
- 10 Aug. cruise wardrobe
- 11 Desert Southwest
- 12 Transit Advisory - PATH system - Weekends from August 6 to December 19, 2016
- 13 Los Angeles Indefinitely
- 14 Road trip from Gulf Coast to Key West
- 15 Boston waterfront Italian
- 16 Last minute Maine/New Hampshire trip
- 17 Need help with National Parks trip in 2017
- 18 Zion and Bryce in July
- 19 Kids Vacation Place
- 20 East United State - what do you reccomend ?
- 21 First time, Best business class?
- 22 What to pack
- 23 Trip Report: 2 weeks from SF to Yellowstone and back, June 2016
- 24 summer vacation
- 25 Restaurant Recs for Minneapolis
Girdwood, Whittier, Fairbanks in early March -- Recommendations needed!