We're planning a late Feb / early March 2014 trip to Alaska for our honeymoon. Our itinerary (rough at this point) is the following:
(1) fly into Anchorage, rent car
- drive to Girdwood and stay in vicinity of Alyeska Ski Resort (likely Hotel Alyeska)
(3) drive to Whittier, kayak or cruise Prince William Sound to enjoy glaciers and wildlife
(4) ski, drive back to Anchorage in the evening, return car and fly to Fairbanks
- rent car in Fairbanks and stay outside of town (likely Dale & Jo's View Suites)
- spend the next 4-5 nights watching the Aurora forecast and trying to catch a northern lights show
- see some of Fairbanks during the days, possibly with hikes, cross country skiing or kayaking the Chena River
I've been having trouble finding a glacier cruise for Prince William Sound in March -- it seems most companies run their boats from May to September. Can anyone recommend a company that operates through the winter, either with day cruises, kayaks or both? We'd like to depart from Whittier, but will drive to Seward if we must.
Any suggestions for things to catch in Fairbanks during our stay? We're planning our 4-5 nights around the first week of March, but have some flexibility if necessary.
Any other tips or suggestions?
Girdwood, Whittier, Fairbanks in early March -- Recommendations needed!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 NYC theatre broadway
- 2 Durango-Ouray-Telluride- Mesa Verde
- 3 Planning family gathering in Sedona
- 4 Commute from Kailua Kona to Hilo - doable?
- 5 Laguna Beach, what to do
- 6 First family ski trip
- 7 Visiting Denver
- 8 Louisville to Dallas, spring time, 10 days, teenagers
- 9 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 10 A day in Dallas
- 11 Stony Point, NC to Richmond, VA and surrounding areas... help, please!
- 12 Austin Anniversary Dinner
- 13 Looking for Destination Ideas
- 14 Door County Suggestions
- 15 Best seafood restaurant in Boston
- 16 February 2015 Florida getaway for couples
- 17 The island of Hawaii--half a trip report!!!
- 18 Huntington Beach - hostels?
- 19 HELP WITH FALL TRIP PLAN!!
- 20 Visiting Denver
- 21 Where to eat lunch in Washington, D.C.?
- 22 Seattle TrainingTrip March 17, q's
- 23 Great Smokies - Seasonal Closings
- 24 New Yorkers,,,Yea!!
- 25 San Diego parks and attractions