We are planning our vacation trip in September and would need advice from you fellow Fodors. Me and my wife will be travelling with a 2yr. old and my mother. We picked Great Smoky Mountain or Shenandoah because we like hiking and nature exploring, but we are open for other options for a relaxing family vacation.
Here are my questions:
1. Is Great Smoky too demanding for travelling with a baby and senior? We want to make sure we are not stressed out during the trip. If not, what kind of gear would you recommend us bringing?
2. Can we do only one park or both (Great Smoky vs. Shenandoah)? If one, which one should I pick?
3. It's a long drive from Ohio to TN (or NC for Shenandoah), what's the stopping places I should consider?
4. Is any section of the skyline drive that I should not miss?
5. Hotel recommendations around either park? Around skyline drive?
6. Fun activities for the whole family?
7. Our dates are flexible, we are considering the first week of September, any reason this is a bad idea?
Here is a draft itinerary, we will be driving from Ohio, and stopped at Cincinnati first, then continue to TN.
Day 1 - Arriving some place around Great Smoky (Ashville?)
Day 2 and 3 - Great Smoky
Day 4 - Skyline Drive Part 1
Day 5 - Skyline Drive Part 2
Day 6 - Shenandoah?
Day 7 - Shenandoah?
Day 8 - Driving Back to Ohio
Thank you for the help.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 OHare car service north suburbs
- 2 Reasonable accommodations in Wyoming
- 3 California Coast in January
- 4 Eastern California Winter Roadtrip
- 5 Glacier and Grand Tetons: June or July
- 6 Traveling Alone
- 7 Arizona in winter
- 8 Currency and hotels
- 9 Christmas Dinner in NYC?
- 10 Restaurant Recommendations mid-city Manhattan
- 11 Arizona in late January
- 12 Getty center and Getty Villa
- 13 Northern California Redwoods
- 14 2016/17 Ski Season Opens
- 15 Advertising Sublets in NYC Now Illegal - Air BnB Has Pulled Listings
- 16 Travel in Houston and surrounding area
- 17 Vegas with toddler twins
- 18 Las Vegas Vacation
- 19 Washington DC Trip in December with Small Children
- 20 disneyland
- 21 Paris-Room Selection Advice Needed ASAP for last minute trip. TIA.
- 22 Key West
- 23 LA! Active, FUN couple - area to stay/itenerary
- 24 Savannah and Charleston over New Years.
- 25 moving to Florida
From Ohio to Great Smoky Mountain (or Shenandoah) with a baby and a senior