We are planning our vacation trip in September and would need advice from you fellow Fodors. Me and my wife will be travelling with a 2yr. old and my mother. We picked Great Smoky Mountain or Shenandoah because we like hiking and nature exploring, but we are open for other options for a relaxing family vacation.
Here are my questions:
1. Is Great Smoky too demanding for travelling with a baby and senior? We want to make sure we are not stressed out during the trip. If not, what kind of gear would you recommend us bringing?
2. Can we do only one park or both (Great Smoky vs. Shenandoah)? If one, which one should I pick?
3. It's a long drive from Ohio to TN (or NC for Shenandoah), what's the stopping places I should consider?
4. Is any section of the skyline drive that I should not miss?
5. Hotel recommendations around either park? Around skyline drive?
6. Fun activities for the whole family?
7. Our dates are flexible, we are considering the first week of September, any reason this is a bad idea?
Here is a draft itinerary, we will be driving from Ohio, and stopped at Cincinnati first, then continue to TN.
Day 1 - Arriving some place around Great Smoky (Ashville?)
Day 2 and 3 - Great Smoky
Day 4 - Skyline Drive Part 1
Day 5 - Skyline Drive Part 2
Day 6 - Shenandoah?
Day 7 - Shenandoah?
Day 8 - Driving Back to Ohio
Thank you for the help.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Trip to visit our children in St Louis, MO and Little Rock, AR.
- 2 Dog friendly beaches near Savannah?
- 3 Hiking 'the wave'
- 4 Pacific Northwest Food and Wine
- 5 Tksgiving trip Anacortes or Whidbey Island?
- 6 Any suggestions for the holidays 2016
- 7 Last Minute NYC tips??
- 8 LA to Carlsbad, 7 days, December
- 9 San Jose to Napa Valley
- 10 las vegas anyone
- 11 Restaurant Help Needed
- 12 Best Culinary Tour in Charleston?
- 13 5 Day Photography Road Trip from Vegas to Denver
- 14 Foliage in Vermont
- 15 las vegas anyone
- 16 Hawaii: 3 islands
- 17 Finding Steve Perry
- 18 Grand Canyon
- 19 Washington DC
- 20 New England itinerary help
- 21 Big Sur evacuated due to Soberanes fire August 7, 2016
- 22 Trip Report - NYC Girls Weekend
- 23 US history sites- D.C.-NYC-Boston-Philly
- 24 Columbia River Gorge
- 25 Late-October Colorado: Itinerary ?s and RMNP day hikes
From Ohio to Great Smoky Mountain (or Shenandoah) with a baby and a senior