We are planning our vacation trip in September and would need advice from you fellow Fodors. Me and my wife will be travelling with a 2yr. old and my mother. We picked Great Smoky Mountain or Shenandoah because we like hiking and nature exploring, but we are open for other options for a relaxing family vacation.
Here are my questions:
1. Is Great Smoky too demanding for travelling with a baby and senior? We want to make sure we are not stressed out during the trip. If not, what kind of gear would you recommend us bringing?
2. Can we do only one park or both (Great Smoky vs. Shenandoah)? If one, which one should I pick?
3. It's a long drive from Ohio to TN (or NC for Shenandoah), what's the stopping places I should consider?
4. Is any section of the skyline drive that I should not miss?
5. Hotel recommendations around either park? Around skyline drive?
6. Fun activities for the whole family?
7. Our dates are flexible, we are considering the first week of September, any reason this is a bad idea?
Here is a draft itinerary, we will be driving from Ohio, and stopped at Cincinnati first, then continue to TN.
Day 1 - Arriving some place around Great Smoky (Ashville?)
Day 2 and 3 - Great Smoky
Day 4 - Skyline Drive Part 1
Day 5 - Skyline Drive Part 2
Day 6 - Shenandoah?
Day 7 - Shenandoah?
Day 8 - Driving Back to Ohio
Thank you for the help.
From Ohio to Great Smoky Mountain (or Shenandoah) with a baby and a senior
- 1 Best place to raise a family in Florida
- 2 D.C. in a day
- 3 San Francisco - one semi-splurge restaurant?
- 4 Door County
- 5 10 Days in Maine
- 6 Memorial day weekend drivable getaway from Jersey City, NJ
- 7 NYC Newbie Needs Advice Re JFK Transportation
- 8 Albuquerque to Denver
- 9 Using public transit in San Diego
- 10 time for a new countdown to Hawaii
- 11 Rocks and Roads in Utah
- 12 Boston Area College Tour
- 13 2 Brits Travelling USA July-Aug 2013
- 14 Finally, seeing the Outer Banks
- 15 Hiking/Camping Suggestions for VT, NH, & ME in August?
- 16 A Visit to Charleston
- 17 Hotel Suite Brands with Multiple Bedrooms?
- 18 Boston three day trip report, with photos
- 19 Amtrak to DC, then sightseeing
- 20 Help with NYC transit
- 21 Just saw the Book of Mormon in Chicago ! Can we talk about it
- 22 Help finalizing August itinerary for Utah NPs (with a child)
- 23 1st time in Boston --need advice
- 24 Best places to stop New Orleans to Los Angeles
- 25 Need help with itinerary to Seattle, Oregon, California