We are planning our vacation trip in September and would need advice from you fellow Fodors. Me and my wife will be travelling with a 2yr. old and my mother. We picked Great Smoky Mountain or Shenandoah because we like hiking and nature exploring, but we are open for other options for a relaxing family vacation.
Here are my questions:
1. Is Great Smoky too demanding for travelling with a baby and senior? We want to make sure we are not stressed out during the trip. If not, what kind of gear would you recommend us bringing?
2. Can we do only one park or both (Great Smoky vs. Shenandoah)? If one, which one should I pick?
3. It's a long drive from Ohio to TN (or NC for Shenandoah), what's the stopping places I should consider?
4. Is any section of the skyline drive that I should not miss?
5. Hotel recommendations around either park? Around skyline drive?
6. Fun activities for the whole family?
7. Our dates are flexible, we are considering the first week of September, any reason this is a bad idea?
Here is a draft itinerary, we will be driving from Ohio, and stopped at Cincinnati first, then continue to TN.
Day 1 - Arriving some place around Great Smoky (Ashville?)
Day 2 and 3 - Great Smoky
Day 4 - Skyline Drive Part 1
Day 5 - Skyline Drive Part 2
Day 6 - Shenandoah?
Day 7 - Shenandoah?
Day 8 - Driving Back to Ohio
Thank you for the help.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Hotel location Albuquerque
- 2 Please help us find a wonderful boutique hotel in the western U.S.
- 3 Missouri to Yellowstone
- 4 Santa Fe Hotel
- 5 Mt Rushmore
- 6 Blue Ridge Parkway/Great Smoky Mountains
- 7 Pacific Grove/Carmel CA area
- 8 beach chair and umbrella rentals in carmel?
- 9 Visiting Kauai...NEXT week!!
- 10 Lead in me in the right direction for our first Hawaii trip
- 11 Sperry chalet destroyed by fire
- 12 Mini Trip to Smithsonian Exhibits Facility
- 13 Venice, CA area
- 14 Colorado October 16-25, 2017
- 15 Southern California Sand Dunes - Oceano Dunes
- 16 Wilmington DE questions
- 17 Road Trip - SF to Sonoma
- 18 Central California Coast Road Trip - Pismo Beach to Monterey
- 19 Palo Alto Transit Center To Facebook HQ
- 20 Vancouver to Washington State
- 21 NYC - Pastrami sandwich near library, Grand Central Station, St Patrick's
- 22 JFK Terminal 4 to Terminal 8
- 23 Tahoe - Plumpjack Inn vs. Basecamp Hotel
- 24 New England Tour
- 25 Rhode Island Get Away
From Ohio to Great Smoky Mountain (or Shenandoah) with a baby and a senior