We have had some fantastic advice from this forum in the past so here's hoping that somone out there can help us again!
We are a famliy of 3 - two adults and a 2.5 year old - from the UK and are planning our first trip to New England in August this year. We know it will be peak season, and very booked up, but we haven't had the opportunity to plan this one as far ahead as usual, and have just got the flights on airmiles so we are just going to go for it. But we need to decide an intinerary and get accommodation booked urgently!
We are flying into Boston on 30 July and out of NYC on Saturday 16th, so we have 17 nights. Flights all booked and no choice as availability was very limited.
Originally we thought we wanted to do the classic loop - couple of days in Boston, drive up to Maine, probably around Kennebunkport, then over to New Hampshire, see the White Mountains, then over to Vermont for the Green mountains, down to the Berkshires, over to Rhode Island (probably Newport), and then Cape Cod for a few days before driving back to Boston, leaving the car, and getting the train down to New York, ideally for a day or two (we have friends in NYC we can stay with) before flying out.
Having put this all in an itinerary it looks very time pressurised, and a lot of driving, especially with a 2.5 year old in tow. She is generally very adaptable, and a good traveller, but this is the first long haul trip we've done with her and we don't know how she will cope with the jetlag. We don't want to be stuck in a car every day with no time to relax, so we have concluded that this itinerary is too ambitious, but the question is - which bit to cut out?
We have both been to NYC before pre-Children so an obvious option is to cut down time there, but we are in two minds about this as we think it could be fun with a family (even in the heat!). Either way, even if we drastically cut down time in both Boston and NYC (and Boston sounds great for kids, so it seems like we would enjoy this a lot) then we still need to cut out at least one or two other destinations on our trip to make this work.
Any suggestions for what to miss from the following list: Vermont/Green Mountains; New Hampshire/White Mountains; Berkshires? What we've enjoyed in previous trips has been a mix of the great outdoors, culture, history - generally visiting new places and seeing a lot of variety. Although we did quite a lot of road trips, moving on each day or two, before children (in Canada, Australia and NZ, none in the US), this is our first trip of this nature with a family. We like hiking and kayaking but neither seem practical with a toddler, so we're thinking more of staying places with some nice scenary, visiting some child friendly attractions, time on the beach which she will love. We quite like the idea of visiting MASS MoCA, wondered about Tanglewood (if we can get an outdoor performance that is compatible with our toddler), science centre etc. Wondered about the Ben and Jerry's factory but as it is quite far north it seems too far just for an ice cream factory!
We wondered if it were possible to do a loop involving mid coast Maine (Kennebunkport etc), New Hampshire (Perhaps lake area rather than mountains) then straight to Berkshires, missing Vermont? Is that still too much time in the car? Alternatively should we miss out the inland scenary and just concentrate on the coast - maybe going up as far north in Maine as the Arcadia National Park. But that seems a lot of driving too, and maybe the coast will be busier than inland, so it might be nice to escape the crowds for a couple of days. People have suggested just driving from Boston to NY, via Cape Cod, Rhode Island, Long Island etc, but I thought it might be a shame to completely miss Maine and some of the more classic New England scenary (New Hampshire etc),
Any help or suggestions would be extremely gratefully appreciated! Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.
Fortnight in New England with a toddler
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Hotels for 21 yr old near Portland? Help!!
- 2 Zion NP - Grand Canyon North Rim - Las Vegas
- 3 Maine Road Trip for fall foliage and moose sightings
- 4 Long Island Advice
- 5 Cost of living in Incline Village NV
- 6 Monterey and Napa
- 7 Scenic Route from Washington, DC to NC Outer Banks
- 8 Rittenhouse restaurants?
- 9 Breckenridge in October
- 10 LA to SF via Yosemite- help with itinerary
- 11 Public transportation SLC to Marriott City Creek?
- 12 Halloween in California on Hwy 1
- 13 St Augustine Hotels, what area?
- 14 East Coast in December
- 15 Need to claim baggage in Canada when flying from BOS to CPH via YYZ?
- 16 New England in the fall
- 17 Salem public transportation- how early or late??
- 18 Weekend in Indianapolis, any pretty drives you can suggest?
- 19 N California trip questions
- 20 Broadway Banter 2014: Starting off with book recommendation
- 21 New York City with 3 teens!! Need help!!!
- 22 Nantucket, Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard and/or Boston Honeymoon
- 23 Need Bryce Canyon Advice
- 24 National Forrest Service - Photography Restrictions
- 25 Looking for Next Destination