I am currently in Hawaii, just finishing a work week and about to start a vacation week, which I am very much looking forward to. I've been stationed in Honolulu, but will be flying to Big Island two days from now. I have received a lot of kind and useful information from people on the forum regarding my trip, a few months ago, but would like to reiterate on those, considering eventual seasonal specificities that I may not have taken into account at the time.
I will arrive at Hilo around lunch time and already have booked lodging and car for the time of my stay, which will be pretty much one afternoon plus one full day and a few hours in the next morning, before going to the airport. I know it's really short but I am trying to do as much as possible. The main reason for this trip is to visit Volcanoes park, but I was trying to see some of the Hilo coast and surroundings. I am not a great hiker, so about Volcanoes, I would like to see the most beautiful vistas and if possible see the flowing lava (if it's running), so would I need a full day for that? I assume that's probably the case, in which case I would like to ask if you would suggest a "streamline" itinerary that could allow me to check some of the highlights around Hilo.
Again, I can't thank everyone enough for your suggestions. This forum has been priceless in helping me plan my trip.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Alaska or northwestern states
- 2 Road Trip Loop San Fran south to Monterey - then -east
- 3 San Diego, Yosemite, Napa
- 4 Charleston and Savannah
- 5 Cody, WY --suggestions for short stop?
- 6 Tranquility Bay or Cheeca Lodge?
- 7 ALASKA FOR 7 DAYS
- 8 Mini Honeymoon in Philadelphia
- 9 Franklin, TN
- 10 Any one found a fee free ATM around Point Pleasant, NJ area?
- 11 Route Dr. - FLA speed traps?
- 12 6 week West USA Family driving trip
- 13 Advise on trip
- 14 Best time to visit alaska
- 15 help getting through mobile, al
- 16 Alaska cruise round trip from Seattle - need a passport?
- 17 Hawaii, Big Island, Luau
- 18 Bar Harbor/Acadia NP
- 19 SW Colorado and Moab, UT
- 20 Moab UT Accommendations
- 21 Pearl Harbor no bag policy
- 22 NJ to Florida drive
- 23 DC Metro Closures
- 24 Denver CO what to do arriving at 8am
- 25 easy to access car rental near but not in Logan Airport