I am currently in Hawaii, just finishing a work week and about to start a vacation week, which I am very much looking forward to. I've been stationed in Honolulu, but will be flying to Big Island two days from now. I have received a lot of kind and useful information from people on the forum regarding my trip, a few months ago, but would like to reiterate on those, considering eventual seasonal specificities that I may not have taken into account at the time.
I will arrive at Hilo around lunch time and already have booked lodging and car for the time of my stay, which will be pretty much one afternoon plus one full day and a few hours in the next morning, before going to the airport. I know it's really short but I am trying to do as much as possible. The main reason for this trip is to visit Volcanoes park, but I was trying to see some of the Hilo coast and surroundings. I am not a great hiker, so about Volcanoes, I would like to see the most beautiful vistas and if possible see the flowing lava (if it's running), so would I need a full day for that? I assume that's probably the case, in which case I would like to ask if you would suggest a "streamline" itinerary that could allow me to check some of the highlights around Hilo.
Again, I can't thank everyone enough for your suggestions. This forum has been priceless in helping me plan my trip.
flash trip do Big Island (1.5 days)
- 1 Buy now or wait . . . airfare to Santa Barbara in late July?
- 2 South Tahoe around July 4 - GTG?
- 3 Priceline, WARNING
- 4 1st time to Kauai! Will not be the last!
- 5 Kauai golf
- 6 2 Brits Travelling USA July-Aug 2013
- 7 time for a new countdown to Hawaii
- 8 Less commercial beach?
- 9 Maine - July 5th to July 14
- 10 Can You Typically See Mt St Helens on the train from Seattle to Portland?
- 11 San Franciso to Vancouver
- 12 stay near newark or nyc
- 13 Carmel, California where to stay??
- 14 Maui. . .where to stay for local feel
- 15 First-Time Hawaii Advice
- 16 Manzanita Or restaurants
- 17 I-5 bridge over Skagit River collapses, cars with people in water |
- 18 Pine Barrens- where to stay ?
- 19 Trip Itinerary Advice Needed - 1wk Yellowstone & Tetons
- 20 JFK to Upper West Side by subway
- 21 East coast tour - Part2: Phily, Washington, Niagara Falls
- 22 East coast tour - Part1: NYC
- 23 Boston, my 2 hour food shopping spree to satiate my man's needs
- 24 15 hrs layoff at Miami International- Key West Possible ?
- 25 Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park opens today