I am currently in Hawaii, just finishing a work week and about to start a vacation week, which I am very much looking forward to. I've been stationed in Honolulu, but will be flying to Big Island two days from now. I have received a lot of kind and useful information from people on the forum regarding my trip, a few months ago, but would like to reiterate on those, considering eventual seasonal specificities that I may not have taken into account at the time.
I will arrive at Hilo around lunch time and already have booked lodging and car for the time of my stay, which will be pretty much one afternoon plus one full day and a few hours in the next morning, before going to the airport. I know it's really short but I am trying to do as much as possible. The main reason for this trip is to visit Volcanoes park, but I was trying to see some of the Hilo coast and surroundings. I am not a great hiker, so about Volcanoes, I would like to see the most beautiful vistas and if possible see the flowing lava (if it's running), so would I need a full day for that? I assume that's probably the case, in which case I would like to ask if you would suggest a "streamline" itinerary that could allow me to check some of the highlights around Hilo.
Again, I can't thank everyone enough for your suggestions. This forum has been priceless in helping me plan my trip.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Middle aged and overweight - can I hike
- 2 Vegas to Grand Canyon by car in a day
- 3 Road Trippin' I-94, I-90, I-5, I-70, & I-80
- 4 Maui Bed and Breakfast
- 5 Pacific Coast Highway 1st Timer
- 6 Tioga Rd closed May-Oct??
- 7 All you can eat lobster in vegas and caviar
- 8 Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon in June 2018
- 9 Flipkey may be worse the vrbo
- 10 Husband unable to walk long distances
- 11 Inexpensive NYC Meals 2.0
- 12 GOOD EATING ON THE DRIVE BETWEEN FLORIDA AND THE NORTHEAST??
- 13 Hotel near Marlins Park
- 14 Two Seniors Visit NOLA, Cajuns and MS, Leave Wiser
- 15 fairfeld inn or Hampton inn
- 16 limited mobility for Savannah
- 17 Easter Week in Key West April 2017
- 18 Colorado Forest Die Off - How Awful Is It? Should We Visit Elsewhere?
- 19 Northwest Passage
- 20 Travelling to Colorado for the First Time - What Should I See and Do?
- 21 Cleveland in 36 hours
- 22 17 DAYS - NATIONAL PARKS (LOOP FROM VEGAS)
- 23 Northwest Car Trip
- 24 What type of hire car for Nat Parks in UT, AZ
- 25 Kauai - wow, just WOW!!!