I am currently in Hawaii, just finishing a work week and about to start a vacation week, which I am very much looking forward to. I've been stationed in Honolulu, but will be flying to Big Island two days from now. I have received a lot of kind and useful information from people on the forum regarding my trip, a few months ago, but would like to reiterate on those, considering eventual seasonal specificities that I may not have taken into account at the time.
I will arrive at Hilo around lunch time and already have booked lodging and car for the time of my stay, which will be pretty much one afternoon plus one full day and a few hours in the next morning, before going to the airport. I know it's really short but I am trying to do as much as possible. The main reason for this trip is to visit Volcanoes park, but I was trying to see some of the Hilo coast and surroundings. I am not a great hiker, so about Volcanoes, I would like to see the most beautiful vistas and if possible see the flowing lava (if it's running), so would I need a full day for that? I assume that's probably the case, in which case I would like to ask if you would suggest a "streamline" itinerary that could allow me to check some of the highlights around Hilo.
Again, I can't thank everyone enough for your suggestions. This forum has been priceless in helping me plan my trip.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Parking fine
- 2 Salt Lake City to Northern California or Oregon trip
- 3 Berkshires with a toddler
- 4 Glacier National Park, should we cancel our plans?
- 5 Condos in Kauai and Big Island
- 6 Staying at Belvedere in Sept--how early to make reservations?
- 7 Hotel/motel recom. for Cape Cod
- 8 AC Hotels cheap by clean
- 9 My Maine Trip Report
- 10 Late Aug/early Sept with 15 month old - where to?
- 11 hilicopter tour oahu
- 12 DC/MD/VA GTG in the Fall, Lunch on Oct. 3
- 13 After FL and CA, where else in the US with a 7-year-old?
- 14 Where to stay for 1 night near Morgantown WV
- 15 CA AZ UT NV Road Trip
- 16 Good VRBO Neighborhoods in New Orleans?
- 17 Pittsburgh Trip
- 18 Itin Help: S St Seaport, Battery Park, B'wahy
- 19 San Diego Clothing Help (woman)
- 20 The Southern Coast of Maine 3 nights
- 21 10 days in Arizona
- 22 a lovely week in Grand Lake
- 23 Hotel reservations in/near Denali NP
- 24 Boston travel to North Carolina
- 25 Vegas/California May 2016