I am currently in Hawaii, just finishing a work week and about to start a vacation week, which I am very much looking forward to. I've been stationed in Honolulu, but will be flying to Big Island two days from now. I have received a lot of kind and useful information from people on the forum regarding my trip, a few months ago, but would like to reiterate on those, considering eventual seasonal specificities that I may not have taken into account at the time.
I will arrive at Hilo around lunch time and already have booked lodging and car for the time of my stay, which will be pretty much one afternoon plus one full day and a few hours in the next morning, before going to the airport. I know it's really short but I am trying to do as much as possible. The main reason for this trip is to visit Volcanoes park, but I was trying to see some of the Hilo coast and surroundings. I am not a great hiker, so about Volcanoes, I would like to see the most beautiful vistas and if possible see the flowing lava (if it's running), so would I need a full day for that? I assume that's probably the case, in which case I would like to ask if you would suggest a "streamline" itinerary that could allow me to check some of the highlights around Hilo.
Again, I can't thank everyone enough for your suggestions. This forum has been priceless in helping me plan my trip.
flash trip do Big Island (1.5 days)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Universal studios/Orlando
- 2 What to do in Pawley's Island in Early March?
- 3 Florida, Gulf Coast recommendations
- 4 Best seafood restaurant in Boston
- 5 Salt Lake City, Utah
- 6 USA with a 3 year old
- 7 Most affordable Wineries in Northern California near Napa?
- 8 Accomodations in Seattle for 15
- 9 NYC theatre broadway
- 10 A dreamy week on Kauai with three generations
- 11 First family ski trip
- 12 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 13 Dividing time in Grand Canyon
- 14 Looking for Destination Ideas
- 15 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 16 Great Smokies - Seasonal Closings
- 17 Looking for Hotel Alternatives on Coast to Coast Trip
- 18 Chain of Craters Road safe with Infants
- 19 Black Canyon of the Gunnison East Portal Road
- 20 Durango-Ouray-Telluride- Mesa Verde
- 21 Wedding venue in NH
- 22 Planning help for honeymoon - likely Maui and the big island of Hawaii
- 23 Spending February on the Florida Panhandle
- 24 San Diego parks and attractions
- 25 Alaska