I am currently in Hawaii, just finishing a work week and about to start a vacation week, which I am very much looking forward to. I've been stationed in Honolulu, but will be flying to Big Island two days from now. I have received a lot of kind and useful information from people on the forum regarding my trip, a few months ago, but would like to reiterate on those, considering eventual seasonal specificities that I may not have taken into account at the time.
I will arrive at Hilo around lunch time and already have booked lodging and car for the time of my stay, which will be pretty much one afternoon plus one full day and a few hours in the next morning, before going to the airport. I know it's really short but I am trying to do as much as possible. The main reason for this trip is to visit Volcanoes park, but I was trying to see some of the Hilo coast and surroundings. I am not a great hiker, so about Volcanoes, I would like to see the most beautiful vistas and if possible see the flowing lava (if it's running), so would I need a full day for that? I assume that's probably the case, in which case I would like to ask if you would suggest a "streamline" itinerary that could allow me to check some of the highlights around Hilo.
Again, I can't thank everyone enough for your suggestions. This forum has been priceless in helping me plan my trip.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Washington DC with kids
- 2 Road trip through southern US states - must-see suggestions?
- 3 Trip to northern California
- 4 Safety Concerns
- 5 help from a true New Yorker.
- 6 Alaska -public transport
- 7 8 Days in Yellowstone/GTNP
- 8 Alaska independent tour for group
- 9 Hamilton Broadway
- 10 Bronx Help to visit hospital
- 11 5 days in Colorado
- 12 Help! Road Trip from Boulder to Oregon 2/2016
- 13 Nashville and Gatlinburg
- 14 Charleston+Kiawah+Asheville+?
- 15 Native and Natural Interests near the Grand Canyon
- 16 Our House Has no Hot Tub - Where to Soak in Crested Butte
- 17 8-Hour Napali Fishing Charter with Kids?
- 18 First Trip to Texas -
- 19 Restaurants in Tucson, Phoenix, Scottsdale, Sedona
- 20 NYC with 5 kids- SOLO
- 21 Homeless family murdered in Staten Island Motel
- 22 Avoiding tunnels driving from Atlanta to Philadelphia
- 23 Sedona for a Month
- 24 Alaska with Tauck on Princess Ship in June
- 25 Boston-Philadelphia: drive, fly, Amtrak?