First of all, let me introduce myself. I'm Lin from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and will be visiting relatives in Portland on the end of March 2014 for approx. 3 weeks. I'll be going there with my girlfriend, and accomodation in Portland is not a problem.
So, I would just like to get an opinion on my itinerary.
1) I believe I've covered the basic spots in Portland itself, coffee, coffee, doughnuts, ice-cream, OMSI, gardens, etc, etc.
2) My biggest concern: driving in the Oregon area. We plan to hit Haystack Rock for sundown/sunrise and up to Ecola State Park. On another day, we will go to Hood River (overnight) via the historic highway with all the waterfalls, then swinging on to Mount Hood and back to Portland via Sandy.
Will driving on that time be treacherous? In my country we drive on the left side of the road, so I'm just a bit worried here, but my cousin has assured me it would not be a problem.
3) We also plan to go to Crater Lake, which is a 4-5 hour drive. I was thinking overnight in Bend or Eugene, and then driving to Crater Lake in time for the snowshoe tour at 1pm. Again, will the road to and from crater lake be dangerous at that point in time (early-mid April)?
I hope my post is not too long. I would appreciate your comments and advice.
First time to USA/Portland : Advice appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Trip to the Adirondacks
- 2 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 3 LA via Death Valley, Grand Canyon to Vegas
- 4 No accomodation in Hana...should we forget about it?
- 5 Alaska trip -Labor Day weekend
- 6 Boston Logan airport to Salem MA
- 7 Another Southwest Airlines Early Bird Question
- 8 Need help with Yellowstone and area starting in SLC
- 9 Easiest US airports to get to/from with public transportation
- 10 Vail or Aspen in summertime?
- 11 Major League Soccer clubs, what should FC Dallas do?
- 12 Mesa Verde
- 13 Seattle Hyatts
- 14 Relocating Tips - Mild Weather, Good Schools, Low Cost of Living
- 15 5 days and 4 nights outside of San Francisco
- 16 California road trip
- 17 Suggestions for road trip with children from Birmingham, AL to Grand Canyon
- 18 Trip Report: An Intoxicating Birthday Day-Trip in Napa
- 19 Best beach in San Diego for family vacation ages 8-16
- 20 San Diego - wher to stay
- 21 Mountain hiking in the US for kids - Fall/Spring . . .
- 22 Camping in the Adirondacks
- 23 LA, San Diego and San Francisco in 8 days -- can/should we try?
- 24 Flights from Bay Area to Orlando, Florida
- 25 Berkshires in late October