My husband & I (60yr old) are spending 8 nights in this area in Sept., for the first time.
Interested in hitting typical tourist must-sees, scenery, light walking, nice restaurants, wineries.
I would welcome & appreciate feedback on this general plan:
-arrive 9pm Sat. Seattle airport
-(I am thinking) 2 full days, Sun-Mon, in Seattle.
While there: Chihuly, Pike Pl Mkt, Space Needle, possibly ferry to Bainbridge Island, Chittenden Locks...???
-Tues Amtrak to Portland
-2 full days, Wed-Thurs, in Portland. While there: Columba River Gorge, Pacific coast...???
-Fri morning travel to Willamette V, for Fri-Sat
-Sun. 3pm flt from Portland
A few more questions:
-Car needed in Seattle or Portland? Central location/area to stay in? Lodging rec? (3-4 stars out of 4, for price & quality purposes.)
-Current opinion on Seattle-Portland Amtrak trip? Also, is there a better place to sit for views?
-I assume (?) we need a car to get from Portland to Willamette area, and then to use while there....true? How long a drive is it?
-Central location to stay in Willamette Valley, & lodging suggestions. (3-4 stars out of 4, for price & quality purposes.)
Thank you in advance for any input. Fodors people always amaze me.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Botanical gardens on Maui, Hilo, and Kauai: how much do they differ?
- 2 sf Chinatown restaurant
- 3 City of Seattle: What we might miss and the kick ourselves later
- 4 Suggestions for Sedona and Grand Canyon
- 5 Downtown Denver hotel
- 6 Hotel location Albuquerque
- 7 When will Key West be recovered from Irma?
- 8 Great Lakes extended road trip
- 9 San Diego with teens in Februsry
- 10 Olympic National Park (3-4 Days)
- 11 Los Angeles Area Restaurants - 2017 Edition
- 12 Philadelphia Traffic Help
- 13 San Diego VRBO area
- 14 Queen Anne or Belltown Hotel
- 15 Glacier National Park 2018
- 16 Muir Woods in October
- 17 2 Grannies, 2 parents & 1 three-yr-old
- 18 Alaska 19 day itinerary - comments/opinions, please?
- 19 Chicago - Memphis - NO - Anaheim (train/plane and taxi)
- 20 Southbound lanes at San Ysidro Border Crossing close for 57 hrs.
- 21 Disneyland Grand Californian
- 22 Overnight stay along Newburyport/Rockport train line
- 23 Colorado Shows Off
- 24 New England Tour
- 25 Kauai: First Trip Help Please