We are setting up a schedule for our 3 weeks trip in September 2014 through Alaska and the Yukon.
Right now we are clueless about the following:
Our last part of the trip could roughly be
Tok - Valdez
By road we would probably travel
Tok-Gakona (or Glacier View) - on Richardson Hwy
Gakona or Glacier View-Anchorage - on Glenn Hwy
As the ferry service is scarce after September 11 (sails only every other day), we think about skipping the ferry completely and take the Richardson Hwy instead to be a little more flexible. But will we regret doing that?
We do a glacier/wildlife cruise from/to Seward at the beginning of our trip. So is the ferry ride Valdez-Whittier a completely different and worthwile thing to do (and spend $ 240)?
What is your advice?
a) Is the ferry ride a not-to-be-missed experience (keeping in mind it will be Sep 16 or 18...)?
b) Is the road from Gakona to Valdez very interesting or will we not miss much if we skip that part and continue on Glenn Hwy west?
c) Is the road trip from Tok to Gakona/Glacier View a nice drive (landscape)?
Would be grateful for your opinions!
Best regards from Berlin/Germany
Ferry Valdez-Whittier (to Anchorage) or take the road instead ?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Fall trip, best location to stay in Vermont. Need help please.
- 2 Orlando hotels
- 3 Seeking advice for Glacier National Park
- 4 Sunday morning in southern Florida
- 5 Hop On Hop Off Bus Atlanta
- 6 Photos from Texas Christmas Road Trip
- 7 Driving to Daytona Beach from New Jersey
- 8 Route 50 between Virginia and Missouri--Scenic?
- 9 Atlantic coast and mountain vacation
- 10 17 day photo trip report - upstate New York
- 11 Travel from Seattle WA to Oceanside CA
- 12 One Way Car Rentals- LAS to SFO- without drop off charges-What to check-
- 13 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 14 California (San Francisco, Napa,Carmel/Monterey,Santa Barbara,San Diego)
- 15 Ideas for a family on a roadtrip around Denver and Utah
- 16 Clearwater FL area
- 17 Los Angeles day trips
- 18 Rapid City to Yellowstone Route
- 19 Business in San diego and then a weeks vacation?
- 20 trip advice from TN to TX
- 21 san diego or nearby area
- 22 middlebury vt snow
- 23 NY to Asheville then country place to stay
- 24 Charlotte NC Lodging & Driving Question
- 25 First Trip to California with Family of 6