We are setting up a schedule for our 3 weeks trip in September 2014 through Alaska and the Yukon.
Right now we are clueless about the following:
Our last part of the trip could roughly be
Tok - Valdez
By road we would probably travel
Tok-Gakona (or Glacier View) - on Richardson Hwy
Gakona or Glacier View-Anchorage - on Glenn Hwy
As the ferry service is scarce after September 11 (sails only every other day), we think about skipping the ferry completely and take the Richardson Hwy instead to be a little more flexible. But will we regret doing that?
We do a glacier/wildlife cruise from/to Seward at the beginning of our trip. So is the ferry ride Valdez-Whittier a completely different and worthwile thing to do (and spend $ 240)?
What is your advice?
a) Is the ferry ride a not-to-be-missed experience (keeping in mind it will be Sep 16 or 18...)?
b) Is the road from Gakona to Valdez very interesting or will we not miss much if we skip that part and continue on Glenn Hwy west?
c) Is the road trip from Tok to Gakona/Glacier View a nice drive (landscape)?
Would be grateful for your opinions!
Best regards from Berlin/Germany
Ferry Valdez-Whittier (to Anchorage) or take the road instead ?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Restaurant recommendations for Ft. Lauderdale
- 2 California
- 3 lunch in Boulder CO TODAY!!
- 4 Christmas in TX
- 5 San Diego locals-can you advise?
- 6 Eating at south Lake Tahoe
- 7 First trip to Seattle, WA - what should my "musts" be?
- 8 First trip to Portland, OR - looking for recommendations
- 9 Looking For Warm Vacation Spot for December in US With 16 Months Old
- 10 Oregon Road Trip
- 11 Road Trip: Niagara to New York Via Vermont
- 12 Tucson area flooding
- 13 Long Island Advice
- 14 December 2014 travel. Family w/young adults
- 15 Colorado aspen updates
- 16 Georgetown Washington DC Historic row houses along C&O Canal?
- 17 Yellowstone and Tetons in a Flash
- 18 Best Sonoma wineries you've never heard of
- 19 Palm Desert California recommendations for dining
- 20 Storing luggage in Manhattan for a few hours
- 21 TripReport--10 Utah Circle
- 22 Fairbanks, denali, kenai peninsula
- 23 Lunch near 254 west 54th st.
- 24 Need suggestions: 6-day Thanksgiving trip Seattle,Portland,Vancouver(maybe)
- 25 Boston suggestions