We're 3 Australian friends doing a road trip of Southern US next April.
We have an itinerary planned, however are unsure whether it's realistic to visit all these places in 24 nights without driving too much and rushing things. We also want to ensure that we don't miss out on some great places along the way.
To give you an idea of our interests, we enjoy going to beaches, shopping, art and architecture, history, good food and wine, seeing live music, generally absorbing new cultures and outdoor activities like hiking (as long as this isn't all the time!)
Our current plan is as follows:
- Head from New York (our first stop) to Miami and stay for 3 nights. Information on what Miami is like would be great. We're looking for nice beaches and good nightlife but not too busy or trashy.
- Hire a car and head a few hours North to a quieter beach town. Any suggestions?
- Drive to Savannah and stay for 3 nights.
- Drive to Charleston and stay for 5 nights.
- Drive to The Great Smoky Mountains and stay for 2 nights.
- Drive to Nashville and stay for 3 nights.
- Drive to Memphis and stay for 2 nights.
- Drive to New Orleans for the Jazz Festival and stay for 4 nights.
Any feedback and recommendations would be much appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Is Fox Rent A Car any good?
- 2 Last minute Keys Trip Advice Please
- 3 Driving Alaska
- 4 Border crossing
- 5 March in New Mexico
- 6 NYC Girls' Weekend Trip Report
- 7 Yellowstone Hikes questions
- 8 Flowers and Berries in Oregon
- 9 "Unique" New York City Experiences-Yours
- 10 Back from the Big Easy
- 11 Early 2017 Broadway Banter - "Come From Away"
- 12 Cross country tips
- 13 Zion National Park Hikes and HOtels
- 14 Best May/Jun Yosemite lodging areas: Yosemite West, El Portal, or Wawona?
- 15 Ideas for New York
- 16 Parka in PA during February?
- 17 Restaurants in the San Francisco area
- 18 Sedona v Scottsdale?
- 19 Traveling into the US with Alcohol
- 20 Clear Roads From Seattle to Omaha 12-9-16?
- 21 EWR to Midtown Manhattan
- 22 DIA to Estes Park in mid-Feb. 4x4?
- 23 Rental cars at Tampa cruiseport 3
- 24 Best Kids' Skiing <3 hours from Chicago?
- 25 CEO Dollar Rental Car