We're 3 Australian friends doing a road trip of Southern US next April.
We have an itinerary planned, however are unsure whether it's realistic to visit all these places in 24 nights without driving too much and rushing things. We also want to ensure that we don't miss out on some great places along the way.
To give you an idea of our interests, we enjoy going to beaches, shopping, art and architecture, history, good food and wine, seeing live music, generally absorbing new cultures and outdoor activities like hiking (as long as this isn't all the time!)
Our current plan is as follows:
- Head from New York (our first stop) to Miami and stay for 3 nights. Information on what Miami is like would be great. We're looking for nice beaches and good nightlife but not too busy or trashy.
- Hire a car and head a few hours North to a quieter beach town. Any suggestions?
- Drive to Savannah and stay for 3 nights.
- Drive to Charleston and stay for 5 nights.
- Drive to The Great Smoky Mountains and stay for 2 nights.
- Drive to Nashville and stay for 3 nights.
- Drive to Memphis and stay for 2 nights.
- Drive to New Orleans for the Jazz Festival and stay for 4 nights.
Any feedback and recommendations would be much appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Pawley's Island, SC Favorite Restaurants?
- 2 Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota trip report
- 3 Lodging Grand Canyon South Rim
- 4 Short Notice
- 5 Inn at Key West
- 6 Acadia/Bar Harbor in early June
- 7 8 day Road Trip! Spokane to New Orleans
- 8 Lunch near 9/11 Memorial
- 9 Eating Well In Manhatten
- 10 Black History Museum
- 11 Advice needed: first trip to Hawaii
- 12 Another Great DC Trip
- 13 Chicago 2017
- 14 I Hiked the Grand Canyon Down & Up in One Day!
- 15 arizona rte 66
- 16 Yellowstone/Glacier - a cabin with a view
- 17 Food & Wine Festival at Epcot
- 18 West coast to East Coast in April-May 2018
- 19 Cruising the Cs: Canyon de Chelly, Canyonlands, and Capitol Reef
- 20 Pacific Grove/Carmel CA area
- 21 usa roadtrip
- 22 Philadelphia travel ideas
- 23 Where to live in the North East
- 24 Hawaii and...where?
- 25 Short Oregon Trip