I'm pretty new to road tripping, and actually am doing a cross country move in one month. I am looking for the absolute fastest route from Tucson to Amarillo, TX. I'll be traveling with a dog (tips there are appreciated too) and won't be able to do any site seeing- plus the heat will make getting out of the car brief. So I just want to power through and reach my destination as soon as possible.
Importantly, I don't want to get stuck on a one lane, 50 MPH road by choosing the shortest route though. AAA gave me a route that takes routes 70, 54 and 60, but I'm not familiar with those roads at all. I can see it skirts around Roswell and up past Clovis, NM before going into TX that way.
Is it about the same time to just go the typical route through Albuquerque or do one of the lesser known routes really make a difference?
Also, my car isn't great on gas mileage, so stretches without any stations also make me nervous.
Fastest Route From Tucson to Amarillo TX
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Fort Myers Beach vs Naples Beach
- 2 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 3 7 things to do under $21 in Las Vegas
- 4 Tipping advice
- 5 Hotel - Caesars Palace OR Signature @ MGM
- 6 Cheapest, best to get from San Fran Airport to Hotel in Fina. District?
- 7 Boston to Ohio, with visits to FDR Home and Fallingwater
- 8 2 or 3 nights in Hana
- 9 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 10 Maui - Need a Vegan-Friendly Restaurant Recommendation
- 11 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 12 West Maui Restaurants
- 13 San Diego Little Italy
- 14 3 weeks in USA in February -- refined itinerary
- 15 Charleston/Savannah/Asheville, 6 days enough?
- 16 Hawaii Rental Cars - Book early
- 17 Queens, NY - Do not go
- 18 Denver Airport to Downtown Sheraton--Transportation Options?
- 19 Lake Rabun Hotel
- 20 Key West Hotel in January
- 21 Healdsburg tips
- 22 Hawaii or Rio for male single traveler
- 23 Boston, NYC or Chicago for 3rd weekend in March?
- 24 los angeles restaurants
- 25 Where to add a few days in Colorado?