We're planning our first trip to AK in late June '14. We (mid-50s adults and 2 young adult children) are going to do a Southbound cruise, probably departing Seward or Whittier so that we can arrive early and spend a few days exploring on our own. My prelim. plan is to fly to either Fairbanks or Anchorage and then travel to our cruise departure via Denali. Which is the better starting point? Should we rent a car or take buses or trains? A car seems better so we have flexibility. Alternatively, we could just fly into Anchorage and do a more local trip or two. Would we be better off seeing a different sight (other than Denali) that isn't so far away? If so, what?
Family Alaska trip/cruise - first time
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Washington/Oregon....trip ideas
- 2 New England in the fall
- 3 Help on which island(s) for Scuba Divers
- 4 Seattle Hyatts
- 5 Long Weekend in KY: Bourbon Trail and Mammoth Cave
- 6 Ideas for 1st time trip to LA/Santa Monica/Hollywood with 16 yr old
- 7 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 8 Another Southwest Airlines Early Bird Question
- 9 Bar Harbor Maine to Boston
- 10 Recommendations for accommodation in San Diego?
- 11 relocating travel
- 12 Hiking Arches or Canyonlands National Park in fall?
- 13 Bath County, VA - anyone ever been?
- 14 A tour of an Amish Community near Midland MI
- 15 Help with Wisconsin Dells Trip Plan
- 16 Help w road trip from Huntington Beach to SF, skipping LA area
- 17 Is Fox Rent A Car any good?
- 18 Alaska trip -Labor Day weekend
- 19 Need help with Yellowstone and area starting in SLC
- 20 Heading to Maine in September - Where are the moose?
- 21 Vegas - Grand Canyon - Tucson
- 22 Hearst Castle - Is the Grand Rooms tour really the best for first timers?
- 23 Mesa Verde
- 24 NEW YORK CITY!!!
- 25 No accomodation in Hana...should we forget about it?