We're planning our first trip to AK in late June '14. We (mid-50s adults and 2 young adult children) are going to do a Southbound cruise, probably departing Seward or Whittier so that we can arrive early and spend a few days exploring on our own. My prelim. plan is to fly to either Fairbanks or Anchorage and then travel to our cruise departure via Denali. Which is the better starting point? Should we rent a car or take buses or trains? A car seems better so we have flexibility. Alternatively, we could just fly into Anchorage and do a more local trip or two. Would we be better off seeing a different sight (other than Denali) that isn't so far away? If so, what?
Family Alaska trip/cruise - first time
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Utah-Arizona National Parks intinary help needed
- 2 Family Reunion Ideas for Maine Coast
- 3 Tipping advice
- 4 Lake Rabun Hotel
- 5 NYT article on exploring Los Angeles without a car
- 6 3 weeks in USA in February -- final post before booking hotels
- 7 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 8 advice on possible employment in GA or NC rural areas
- 9 Zion, Bryce, Page, GC South Rim, and Arches
- 10 Christmas weather?
- 11 Big island itinerary
- 12 New York City and New England
- 13 Need help planning weekend trips: Georgia, Chicago, Tennessee, Alaska?!
- 14 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 15 Flying from LA to Massachusetts
- 16 Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Banff in May or early Sept.?
- 17 Thousand Islands
- 18 Best Destination in USA
- 19 Please help identify location in Southern California
- 20 August 2015 Western Roadtrip Route? 30 days...Two 22-year-old Girls
- 21 Nashville - Weekend Trip
- 22 WHY are rental cars in December in Florida so expensive?
- 23 Better cooking store in Seattle
- 24 62 Hikers airlifted out of Kalalau Trail
- 25 Grand Teton Romantic Accomdations