We're planning our first trip to AK in late June '14. We (mid-50s adults and 2 young adult children) are going to do a Southbound cruise, probably departing Seward or Whittier so that we can arrive early and spend a few days exploring on our own. My prelim. plan is to fly to either Fairbanks or Anchorage and then travel to our cruise departure via Denali. Which is the better starting point? Should we rent a car or take buses or trains? A car seems better so we have flexibility. Alternatively, we could just fly into Anchorage and do a more local trip or two. Would we be better off seeing a different sight (other than Denali) that isn't so far away? If so, what?
Family Alaska trip/cruise - first time
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 2 HELP WITH FALL TRIP PLAN!!
- 3 Where to eat lunch in Washington, D.C.?
- 4 NYC theatre broadway
- 5 Lunch somewhere between Arlington and Roanoke VA?
- 6 Chigo O'Hare layover
- 7 Other places like Chautauqua Institution
- 8 Quiet hotel room in University district?
- 9 Visiting Denver
- 10 Seattle TrainingTrip March 17, q's
- 11 Visiting Denver
- 12 travel up the coast from San Franciso to Seattle
- 13 Planning family gathering in Sedona
- 14 Laguna Beach, what to do
- 15 Commute from Kailua Kona to Hilo - doable?
- 16 Stony Point, NC to Richmond, VA and surrounding areas... help, please!
- 17 Dividing time in Grand Canyon
- 18 Feedback on Palm Springs with Kids Itinerary
- 19 San Diego parks and attractions
- 20 Door County Suggestions
- 21 First family ski trip
- 22 New Hampshire Itinerary
- 23 Summer trip in New England (15 days)
- 24 Here's how I spent my 3 hour layover in Washington, DC
- 25 boston to nantucket: what are our options?