We're planning our first trip to AK in late June '14. We (mid-50s adults and 2 young adult children) are going to do a Southbound cruise, probably departing Seward or Whittier so that we can arrive early and spend a few days exploring on our own. My prelim. plan is to fly to either Fairbanks or Anchorage and then travel to our cruise departure via Denali. Which is the better starting point? Should we rent a car or take buses or trains? A car seems better so we have flexibility. Alternatively, we could just fly into Anchorage and do a more local trip or two. Would we be better off seeing a different sight (other than Denali) that isn't so far away? If so, what?
Family Alaska trip/cruise - first time
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 recommended cheaper hotels around thanksgiving
- 2 New York City Restaurants
- 3 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 4 Sampling Ethnic Las Vegas trip report
- 5 Hotels in LA ... I know...how long is a piece of string type question...
- 6 traveling Amtrak cross country
- 7 Favorite Washington, DC restaurants
- 8 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 9 Napa Girls Getaway - Need hotel advice
- 10 Seeking advice from year round Tucson residents
- 11 Place for a drink where kids are allowed? An NYC question.
- 12 Grand Staircase Esclante National Monument
- 13 Grand Circle Itinerary Utah
- 14 Alaska- cruise or land? and most scenic areas?
- 15 My Boston weekend...killing time near MGH
- 16 Dining in D.C.
- 17 Lunch with little girls UWS?
- 18 Charleston, SC Beaches
- 19 9 Day Trip to Yosemite, Oregon and Washington State
- 20 Jersey City Parking
- 21 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 22 Washington DC Metro
- 23 AirBnB is illegal in San Francisco,
- 24 Best Glacier viewing (by boat) from Seward or Whittier
- 25 Spring Break in California: San Francisco, Yosemite and up the coast