We're planning our first trip to AK in late June '14. We (mid-50s adults and 2 young adult children) are going to do a Southbound cruise, probably departing Seward or Whittier so that we can arrive early and spend a few days exploring on our own. My prelim. plan is to fly to either Fairbanks or Anchorage and then travel to our cruise departure via Denali. Which is the better starting point? Should we rent a car or take buses or trains? A car seems better so we have flexibility. Alternatively, we could just fly into Anchorage and do a more local trip or two. Would we be better off seeing a different sight (other than Denali) that isn't so far away? If so, what?
Family Alaska trip/cruise - first time
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Escape cold in mid-Feb (4) nights from Michigan
- 2 Boston Uber shenanigans? Fake airport fees
- 3 where in 'Charleston' would you winter?
- 4 Chicago- The Godfrey hotel or the Hotel Burnham????
- 5 4 week family trip ideas
- 6 Dining in Manhattan
- 7 Did Interstates ruin travel in America?
- 8 ideas for roadtrip through Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado
- 9 Road trip next summes...Suggestions ?
- 10 Is It Possible - One Post for MT, UT, WY in a Week?
- 11 From Seattle airport to the city
- 12 General Utah planning questions
- 13 A trip to the SW: Not rushed, do it all, perfect time of year.
- 14 A Week in Naples Florida--Much Ado About Food (and Wine)
- 15 Protecting yourself when using VRBO
- 16 Washington and Oregon Fall vacation 2015
- 17 need two stop-overs from LA to Santa Fe, NM
- 18 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 19 New York City Christmas Trip
- 20 Las Vegas to Grand Canyon, February
- 21 Washington - North cascades trails (Goat Lake and others) okay in winter?
- 22 Colorado Skiing
- 23 American Honeymoon in March
- 24 Craft Beer & Delicious Food in Vegas
- 25 Road Trip to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho & Oregon