I am researching a forthcoming drive from LA to SF. I've not done anything like it before and am very excited. In England we don't have the sort of coastal scenery I'm expecting, not to mention much less exciting breakfasts and suchlike. So I'm trying to make the most of the week or so that I have in which to combine seeing a friend in LA (3nts), driving to SF via some beautiful places (and staying in some cheap ones!) and seeing San Francisco itself.
My plan so far after a day of researching.. isn't very complete. I got very side-tracked trying to plan a trip to Yosemite which turns out to be impossible, very sadly. So it's back to making th best of this drive and of San Fran.
Day 1: Start the drive from LA to somewhere to stay overnight - Santa Barbara?
Day 2: onwards to next overnight place - Cambria? See NP on the way?
Day 3: onwards to see Monterey and Carmel. Stay overnight somewhere (not too pricey - any ideas?! I'm not fussed about being in the centre of things as I'll have the car)
Day 4: finally to San Francisco itself to return the car then some accommodation.
Lots of ways you could help input really...!
Where to stay along the route?
Compensating for lack of Yosemite NP: Can you go into the Los Pedros Park? I'm looking to compensate myself for not being able to go to Yosemite and wondered if I might at least see some nice trees etc here or somewhere else near San Francisco? I see another Park on the map by SF...is it any good?
Where to stay in San Francisco that's cheap and cheerful?
Thank you in advance for any help,
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 What type of hire car for Nat Parks in UT, AZ
- 2 Dining in St. Louis
- 3 AR State Parks
- 4 Car rental from Baltimore airport
- 5 Sunniest place to stay in Kauai
- 6 6 days to drive from Wisconsin to Florida solo?
- 7 family with 3 boys needing help for west coast itinerary
- 8 Trip Report 2012 : 11 wonderful days in Alaska
- 9 Help me with this
- 10 NYC For The Day
- 11 Las Vegas to Grand Canyon in August
- 12 Walking Safety Near Boston Common
- 13 2 hours international transit in DFW airport
- 14 JFK Terminal 8
- 15 Seattle or Portland or Vancouver?
- 16 Southwest/California NP roadtrip advice needed.
- 17 Breckenridge, Estes Park, and Fort Collins in May
- 18 California Trip
- 19 Atlanta With Toddler
- 20 What do you think of my Yellowstone itinerary - August 2017?
- 21 Washington DC in July - hotel, and what items to book now
- 22 Atlanta airport to Marietta, GA traffic
- 23 Tohono Chul Tucson?
- 24 Seattle and Vancouver/Victoria
- 25 Need advice-Early June Oregon Coast, Columbia River Gorge, Crater Lake