I am researching a forthcoming drive from LA to SF. I've not done anything like it before and am very excited. In England we don't have the sort of coastal scenery I'm expecting, not to mention much less exciting breakfasts and suchlike. So I'm trying to make the most of the week or so that I have in which to combine seeing a friend in LA (3nts), driving to SF via some beautiful places (and staying in some cheap ones!) and seeing San Francisco itself.
My plan so far after a day of researching.. isn't very complete. I got very side-tracked trying to plan a trip to Yosemite which turns out to be impossible, very sadly. So it's back to making th best of this drive and of San Fran.
Day 1: Start the drive from LA to somewhere to stay overnight - Santa Barbara?
Day 2: onwards to next overnight place - Cambria? See NP on the way?
Day 3: onwards to see Monterey and Carmel. Stay overnight somewhere (not too pricey - any ideas?! I'm not fussed about being in the centre of things as I'll have the car)
Day 4: finally to San Francisco itself to return the car then some accommodation.
Lots of ways you could help input really...!
Where to stay along the route?
Compensating for lack of Yosemite NP: Can you go into the Los Pedros Park? I'm looking to compensate myself for not being able to go to Yosemite and wondered if I might at least see some nice trees etc here or somewhere else near San Francisco? I see another Park on the map by SF...is it any good?
Where to stay in San Francisco that's cheap and cheerful?
Thank you in advance for any help,
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Gatlinburg/Smokies trip report, with photos and captions
- 2 Lunch near 9/11 Memorial
- 3 Secaucus as base for New York 3 days-advice
- 4 Black History Museum
- 5 Wash DC VRBO recommendation
- 6 Chicago 2017
- 7 Another Great DC Trip
- 8 West coast to East Coast in April-May 2018
- 9 Driving conditions from Denver to Winter Park
- 10 How much time in Badlands?
- 11 3-day beach weekend in FL Nov for 2 adults
- 12 Where to stay in Little Rock AR
- 13 seeking advice -- scenic drive from DC to Chapel Hill
- 14 DC Restaurants
- 15 Sequoia National Park/Kings Canyon/Amtrak/Tours/grandchild
- 16 Short Oregon Trip
- 17 usa roadtrip
- 18 Hawaii and...where?
- 19 Visiting San Antonio early November
- 20 Route from Denver to SteamboatSprings
- 21 Mardi Gras - avoid or embrace?
- 22 Christmas in Colorado
- 23 Chaco Canyon and Mesa Verde
- 24 Driving from FLL to Key West
- 25 Fall vacation in Beavers Bend State Park