I am researching a forthcoming drive from LA to SF. I've not done anything like it before and am very excited. In England we don't have the sort of coastal scenery I'm expecting, not to mention much less exciting breakfasts and suchlike. So I'm trying to make the most of the week or so that I have in which to combine seeing a friend in LA (3nts), driving to SF via some beautiful places (and staying in some cheap ones!) and seeing San Francisco itself.
My plan so far after a day of researching.. isn't very complete. I got very side-tracked trying to plan a trip to Yosemite which turns out to be impossible, very sadly. So it's back to making th best of this drive and of San Fran.
Day 1: Start the drive from LA to somewhere to stay overnight - Santa Barbara?
Day 2: onwards to next overnight place - Cambria? See NP on the way?
Day 3: onwards to see Monterey and Carmel. Stay overnight somewhere (not too pricey - any ideas?! I'm not fussed about being in the centre of things as I'll have the car)
Day 4: finally to San Francisco itself to return the car then some accommodation.
Lots of ways you could help input really...!
Where to stay along the route?
Compensating for lack of Yosemite NP: Can you go into the Los Pedros Park? I'm looking to compensate myself for not being able to go to Yosemite and wondered if I might at least see some nice trees etc here or somewhere else near San Francisco? I see another Park on the map by SF...is it any good?
Where to stay in San Francisco that's cheap and cheerful?
Thank you in advance for any help,
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Discount Broadway Show Tickets webistes
- 2 60th birthday trip to Vermont, NH, Maine in October
- 3 Samsonite Silhouette 7 repair part
- 4 Newport Historic District - where is it? Walking tour?
- 5 1st trip to DC - for 2 nights
- 6 Steamboat in August
- 7 California Summer weather/ clothing
- 8 Transportation from downtown Miami to Ft. Lauderdale airport
- 9 Napa Valley Hotel
- 10 Road trip from Boston to Florida
- 11 Movies to put you in the mood for a western road trip
- 12 Do you have suggestions on my first roadtrip South-West USA?
- 13 Need Advice For Trip with 16year old son-
- 14 The city never sleeps, but we needed to
- 15 The Great Debate, What is Worth Precious Money and Time in NYC
- 16 Christmas Napa Valley
- 17 Island of Oahu: looking for cheap accommodation
- 18 Southwest charging USD15/ for early bird check in
- 19 Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe to Riverside, CA
- 20 Your favourite places in New York City
- 21 Phone SIM
- 22 3 days in NYC with my Grandma!
- 23 Las vegas +21
- 24 1st Visit to USA with kids in Jul-Aug, SFO,LA,SD & LAS - 21 days. Need Help
- 25 Zion NP & Las Vegas with Kids for 3 days in July - Please Help