It looks like I might be overnighting in Albany in mid-June. I've been through the bus station/train station many a time (give a bit but not much perspective on a place) and I stayed with my cousin in the '90s on two occasions, who was a student at SUNY Albany, but that was more about visiting her. I think we went downtown only very briefly, so I'm looking forward to exploring a bit more.
It's a short stop (I'd be free roughly from 2pm till bedtime, catching a train to NYC the next morning), but I thought I might stroll into the State Capitol (think it's worth going in for a tour?), check out Lark Street and perhaps walk into Washington Park. Any favourite streets (I enjoy looking at homes with character & history) or restaurants you'd particularly recommend? I'd be a solo diner and have a preference for healthy or home-cooking.
Last time I was there I picked up a book on Albany history and it seemed such a bustling, interesting I daresay genteel-seeming place around the turn of the (19th-20th) century. I know it's quieter now, but I think I might enjoy admiring the architecture and relfecting on eras gone by.
Look forward to your thoughts! Daniel
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 US: AOL Tec*h SUPP0RT CONTACT ☎ 1:888:482 :3831 AOL MAIL 24*7
- 2 Big Sur Help!!
- 3 Rules of the NY Subway
- 4 CT to ABQ-favorite routes?
- 5 Rolling Thunder on Sunday- how bad will traffic be?
- 6 Best weather and tips to roadtrip to west coast USA
- 7 PNC Park ~ convenient hotel?
- 8 Travel from Philadelphia to New York
- 9 Anyone use Hawaiian Airlines?
- 10 Trail Ridge Road Will be Closed This Weekend
- 11 Yellowstone/Grand Teton Camping Itinerary
- 12 10 Day Road Trip in Colorado
- 13 Road trip from arizona to seattle.
- 14 Boston for a cruise: South end? Downtown?
- 15 Help! 2nd half of trip...From GTNP, 11 days before flying out of Denver.
- 16 Best Time to Travel the West Coast (USA)
- 17 Sad News for Maine Lobster Lovers
- 18 Drive from Chicago to Yellowstone and back
- 19 Montana, Wyoming ideas including beartooth highway and little big hotn
- 20 Epic Journey East coast and back
- 21 South Dakota to Bryce Canyon and what to do in between...
- 22 Las Vegas trip report
- 23 road trip from NC to Maine in Sept.
- 24 10 Days in Maine
- 25 Amtrak California Zephyr and Yosemite waterfalls
Downtown Albany NY for an Afternoon/Evening No Car. Recommendations?