It looks like I might be overnighting in Albany in mid-June. I've been through the bus station/train station many a time (give a bit but not much perspective on a place) and I stayed with my cousin in the '90s on two occasions, who was a student at SUNY Albany, but that was more about visiting her. I think we went downtown only very briefly, so I'm looking forward to exploring a bit more.
It's a short stop (I'd be free roughly from 2pm till bedtime, catching a train to NYC the next morning), but I thought I might stroll into the State Capitol (think it's worth going in for a tour?), check out Lark Street and perhaps walk into Washington Park. Any favourite streets (I enjoy looking at homes with character & history) or restaurants you'd particularly recommend? I'd be a solo diner and have a preference for healthy or home-cooking.
Last time I was there I picked up a book on Albany history and it seemed such a bustling, interesting I daresay genteel-seeming place around the turn of the (19th-20th) century. I know it's quieter now, but I think I might enjoy admiring the architecture and relfecting on eras gone by.
Look forward to your thoughts! Daniel
Downtown Albany NY for an Afternoon/Evening No Car. Recommendations?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 boston to nantucket: what are our options?
- 2 Seattle TrainingTrip March 17, q's
- 3 Where to eat lunch in Washington, D.C.?
- 4 Car rental through Priceline bidding
- 5 Accomodations in Seattle for 15
- 6 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 7 San Diego parks and attractions
- 8 Dividing time in Grand Canyon
- 9 Chain of Craters Road safe with Infants
- 10 Über, peer sharing sites, and insurance
- 11 Lunch somewhere between Arlington and Roanoke VA?
- 12 Alaska
- 13 First family ski trip
- 14 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 15 What to do in Pawley's Island in Early March?
- 16 Great Smokies - Seasonal Closings
- 17 Florida, Gulf Coast recommendations
- 18 Austin Anniversary Dinner
- 19 NYC theatre broadway
- 20 Chigo O'Hare layover
- 21 Here's how I spent my 3 hour layover in Washington, DC
- 22 Huntington Beach - hostels?
- 23 5 nights in/around Yellowstone w/ kids
- 24 Restaurants in Charleston, SC
- 25 San Diego grocery stores