It looks like I might be overnighting in Albany in mid-June. I've been through the bus station/train station many a time (give a bit but not much perspective on a place) and I stayed with my cousin in the '90s on two occasions, who was a student at SUNY Albany, but that was more about visiting her. I think we went downtown only very briefly, so I'm looking forward to exploring a bit more.
It's a short stop (I'd be free roughly from 2pm till bedtime, catching a train to NYC the next morning), but I thought I might stroll into the State Capitol (think it's worth going in for a tour?), check out Lark Street and perhaps walk into Washington Park. Any favourite streets (I enjoy looking at homes with character & history) or restaurants you'd particularly recommend? I'd be a solo diner and have a preference for healthy or home-cooking.
Last time I was there I picked up a book on Albany history and it seemed such a bustling, interesting I daresay genteel-seeming place around the turn of the (19th-20th) century. I know it's quieter now, but I think I might enjoy admiring the architecture and relfecting on eras gone by.
Look forward to your thoughts! Daniel
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 JFK TO MANHATTEN
- 2 Any off site car rental agencies around JFK?
- 3 NYC Airport transport (well, Newark)
- 4 My Avis/kona rental experience
- 5 10 Year Anniversary Dinner in NYC
- 6 Napili in Maui with toddlers?
- 7 Need advise sightseeing Seattle - Pendleton - Twin Falls - Yellowstone
- 8 San Antonio shopping
- 9 Which island for R&R?
- 10 Montana dude ranch recommendation
- 11 Where to stay to visit Glacier National Park
- 12 Travelling from NYC to Washington Depot
- 13 blue ridge parkway?
- 14 Scenic road trip northeast Pennsylvania to Charlotte
- 15 1.5 Days in Boston with 3 little ones
- 16 Cross country road trip to the east coast- here we go...
- 17 Towing a camper trailer during January
- 18 First Trip to New Mexico
- 19 Warning: Recent increase in violent crime in New Orleans' French Quarter
- 20 Pls help keep dolphins happy & healthy
- 21 San Diego, mission valley
- 22 California trip .. some guidance needed
- 23 Road Trip/Excursions for a weekend outside of Denver
- 24 Are you sick from Alaskan tour?
- 25 Seattle?
Downtown Albany NY for an Afternoon/Evening No Car. Recommendations?