It looks like I might be overnighting in Albany in mid-June. I've been through the bus station/train station many a time (give a bit but not much perspective on a place) and I stayed with my cousin in the '90s on two occasions, who was a student at SUNY Albany, but that was more about visiting her. I think we went downtown only very briefly, so I'm looking forward to exploring a bit more.
It's a short stop (I'd be free roughly from 2pm till bedtime, catching a train to NYC the next morning), but I thought I might stroll into the State Capitol (think it's worth going in for a tour?), check out Lark Street and perhaps walk into Washington Park. Any favourite streets (I enjoy looking at homes with character & history) or restaurants you'd particularly recommend? I'd be a solo diner and have a preference for healthy or home-cooking.
Last time I was there I picked up a book on Albany history and it seemed such a bustling, interesting I daresay genteel-seeming place around the turn of the (19th-20th) century. I know it's quieter now, but I think I might enjoy admiring the architecture and relfecting on eras gone by.
Look forward to your thoughts! Daniel
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Staten Island, Statue of LIberty
- 2 Traveling out west
- 3 hotel in NYC
- 4 Hotel in Austin
- 5 Austin TX restaurants
- 6 Southern California and young kids
- 7 Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon in June 2018
- 8 train from NYC to Philadelphia
- 9 Zion, Bryce, South/North Rim, Page
- 10 yeah or nay grand canyon in dec/jan
- 11 Travel from Seattle w to San Francisco
- 12 Airbnb and Santa Fe/Where to Stay
- 13 Driving from Wisconsin to Vail Co in Mid October
- 14 911 Museum
- 15 Need advice for a 3 days trip to Sedona then Grand Canyon
- 16 Lake Champlain, VT
- 17 New/Different in Kennebunkport?
- 18 Bar Harbor, Maine
- 19 5 Days near Denver
- 20 Post-Alaska cruise ideas July, 2018
- 21 Kaihalulu Beach/Red Sand Beach - Maui, Hawaii
- 22 TSA Security Question
- 23 Utah too much crammed into 9 days, help please
- 24 3 day wine detour through the Willamette Valley
- 25 Crab restaurants near Silver Springs MD
Downtown Albany NY for an Afternoon/Evening No Car. Recommendations?