It looks like I might be overnighting in Albany in mid-June. I've been through the bus station/train station many a time (give a bit but not much perspective on a place) and I stayed with my cousin in the '90s on two occasions, who was a student at SUNY Albany, but that was more about visiting her. I think we went downtown only very briefly, so I'm looking forward to exploring a bit more.
It's a short stop (I'd be free roughly from 2pm till bedtime, catching a train to NYC the next morning), but I thought I might stroll into the State Capitol (think it's worth going in for a tour?), check out Lark Street and perhaps walk into Washington Park. Any favourite streets (I enjoy looking at homes with character & history) or restaurants you'd particularly recommend? I'd be a solo diner and have a preference for healthy or home-cooking.
Last time I was there I picked up a book on Albany history and it seemed such a bustling, interesting I daresay genteel-seeming place around the turn of the (19th-20th) century. I know it's quieter now, but I think I might enjoy admiring the architecture and relfecting on eras gone by.
Look forward to your thoughts! Daniel
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Trip Report 2012 : 11 wonderful days in Alaska
- 2 Overnight between Moab and Grand Canyon village
- 3 I continue to be stumped by amtrak...advice?
- 4 Bryce and Zion planning
- 5 Boston Restaurant suggestion
- 6 Boston with baby
- 7 Favorite restaurants in Savannah
- 8 Alaska trip rough Itinerary for Sep 2017
- 9 Where to go: Dallas-Austin-Houston-San Antonio
- 10 Trip to Palm Springs and San Diego
- 11 Sacramento Hotel
- 12 USA family tour
- 13 Feinsteins 54 Below
- 14 Philly Itinerary Help
- 15 4 days road trip southern New England
- 16 How to spend a few days in mid June near Oakland
- 17 Road Trip Florida to Maine
- 18 Los Angeles Area Restaurants - 2017 Edition
- 19 California Coast Road Trip Itinerary Help
- 20 Driving Hwy 12 from Missoula Mr ro Walla Walla WA
- 21 Little Bighorn, beartooth, Yellowstone, Tetons, Jackson hole, Cody
- 22 Quick trip to Poughkeepsie area
- 23 Road Trip-San Francisco and Los Angeles
- 24 Hawaiian Honeymoon - Hotel Advice
- 25 Sky Harbor to Tucson shuttle
Downtown Albany NY for an Afternoon/Evening No Car. Recommendations?