It looks like I might be overnighting in Albany in mid-June. I've been through the bus station/train station many a time (give a bit but not much perspective on a place) and I stayed with my cousin in the '90s on two occasions, who was a student at SUNY Albany, but that was more about visiting her. I think we went downtown only very briefly, so I'm looking forward to exploring a bit more.
It's a short stop (I'd be free roughly from 2pm till bedtime, catching a train to NYC the next morning), but I thought I might stroll into the State Capitol (think it's worth going in for a tour?), check out Lark Street and perhaps walk into Washington Park. Any favourite streets (I enjoy looking at homes with character & history) or restaurants you'd particularly recommend? I'd be a solo diner and have a preference for healthy or home-cooking.
Last time I was there I picked up a book on Albany history and it seemed such a bustling, interesting I daresay genteel-seeming place around the turn of the (19th-20th) century. I know it's quieter now, but I think I might enjoy admiring the architecture and relfecting on eras gone by.
Look forward to your thoughts! Daniel
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Finding Steve Perry
- 2 First time Disney & Legoland hotel suggestions and any advice please
- 3 Asheville Hotel Indigo
- 4 Sheraton Hotel at Bradley Airport. Conn
- 5 Monday Morning Traffic to Laguardia from NW CT
- 6 Montross/Ouray in the rain. Also foliage
- 7 Road Trip/Excursions for a weekend outside of Denver
- 8 Driving from Orlando, Fl to Austin, TX
- 9 Cross-Country trip advice
- 10 New England itinerary help
- 11 Chicago Hotel Recommendations
- 12 Spur of moment trip to CA, best way to spend our time
- 13 South Beach in October
- 14 Casinos near Anaheim, CA?
- 15 Tksgiving trip Anacortes or Whidbey Island?
- 16 Seattle first timers....outdoor trip in October
- 17 las vegas anyone
- 18 Mnnpls--what to do, culture and food
- 19 University of Florida Public Campus Parking
- 20 One day coastal New England fall foliage
- 21 San Jose to Napa Valley
- 22 Broadway Banter? Fall 2016 - calling HowardR
- 23 Fall colours first 2 weeks of October Boston area
- 24 Parking Downtown St. Louis
- 25 Zion, Bryce, Monument, Grand Canyon, Death Valley Yosemite Itinerary help!
Downtown Albany NY for an Afternoon/Evening No Car. Recommendations?