It looks like I might be overnighting in Albany in mid-June. I've been through the bus station/train station many a time (give a bit but not much perspective on a place) and I stayed with my cousin in the '90s on two occasions, who was a student at SUNY Albany, but that was more about visiting her. I think we went downtown only very briefly, so I'm looking forward to exploring a bit more.
It's a short stop (I'd be free roughly from 2pm till bedtime, catching a train to NYC the next morning), but I thought I might stroll into the State Capitol (think it's worth going in for a tour?), check out Lark Street and perhaps walk into Washington Park. Any favourite streets (I enjoy looking at homes with character & history) or restaurants you'd particularly recommend? I'd be a solo diner and have a preference for healthy or home-cooking.
Last time I was there I picked up a book on Albany history and it seemed such a bustling, interesting I daresay genteel-seeming place around the turn of the (19th-20th) century. I know it's quieter now, but I think I might enjoy admiring the architecture and relfecting on eras gone by.
Look forward to your thoughts! Daniel
Downtown Albany NY for an Afternoon/Evening No Car. Recommendations?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Caklifornia & Oregon
- 2 Photos from Texas Christmas Road Trip
- 3 New York City- Henri Matisse Cutouts at MOMA
- 4 Kauai - day trips to North shore and Waimea Canyon/Kokee State Park
- 5 Bar Harbor Maine or Mystic Connecticut in August.
- 6 Santa Fe Area Hiking Early June - 3 full days.
- 7 Omni Orlando Resort Champions Gate
- 8 Northwest USA
- 9 Road trip to the Deep South revisited......itinerary for your perusal
- 10 Charleston, SC Hotels
- 11 Self guided White House tour
- 12 Los Angeles day trips
- 13 middlebury vt snow
- 14 Tybee Island?... hilton head? help please?
- 15 Help with Moab itinerary for an overacheiver
- 16 LA for a day and a half
- 17 Texas
- 18 Atlantic coast and mountain vacation
- 19 Itinerary for Vegas - Phoenix
- 20 New Orleans: Is 2 hours enough time to enjoy brunch at Commander's Palace?
- 21 What is the weather like in Kona in November?
- 22 First Trip to Nashville, TN - tips, suggestions
- 23 Moving to CT
- 24 Hotels Philly
- 25 Drive down the West Coast 2015